Hurricane Ian and God...no, seriously

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Hurricane Ian and God...no, seriously

Post by Belinda »

DPMartin wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:24 pm
iambiguous wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:16 pm
DPMartin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:26 pm

lets see
you are blaming God for giving you a place in His creation to be, that just isn't up to your standards, correct? since when is there an entitlement of creation or the created of its Creator?
Again, another post that, from my own subjective frame of mind, would be the norm over at the New ILP. From her, for example.

But here, at a philosophy forum derived from Philosophy Now magazine?! Yes, it still boggles my mind!!

Seriously though, if you created a planet that resulted in...

"...an endless procession of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and tornadoes and hurricanes and great floods and great droughts and great fires and deadly viral and bacterial plagues and miscarriages and hundreds and hundreds of medical and mental afflictions and extinction events...making life on Earth a living hell for countless millions of men, women and children down through the ages..."

...would it or would it not be reasonable to blame you?

Now, back to...this?
DPMartin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:26 pmthat's like saying the painting is entitled what it wants from its painter. It’s the painter that is entitled to make the painting anything he wants, or even erase it and start over or even destroy it and use something else, the painting is entitled to receive what ever the painter decides in the painter's judgement if its anything at all.
I mean, truly, can you actually imagine something like this popping up in an article from Philosophy Now magazine?!!
you do know this is the religion section of this site and not the Philosophy Now magazine section, correct?
Certainly it should be known that the sort of religion that holds that God issued a moral code , is a means of social control, and has nothing to do with natural disasters such as birth defects and agonising pain.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Belinda wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:08 am

Again, another post that, from my own subjective frame of mind, would be the norm over at the New ILP. From her, for example.

But here, at a philosophy forum derived from Philosophy Now magazine?! Yes, it still boggles my mind!!

"...an endless procession of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and tornadoes and hurricanes and great floods and great droughts and great fires and deadly viral and bacterial plagues and miscarriages and hundreds and hundreds of medical and mental afflictions and extinction events...making life on Earth a living hell for countless millions of men, women and children down through the ages..."

Now, back to...this?

I mean, truly, can you actually imagine something like this popping up in an article from Philosophy Now magazine?!!
you do know this is the religion section of this site and not the Philosophy Now magazine section, correct?
Certainly it should be known that the sort of religion that holds that God issued a moral code , is a means of social control, and has nothing to do with natural disasters such as birth defects and agonising pain.
na, in the case of the God of Israel who is Creator and Judge has everything to do with the result of what He has created. But His relationship with man or the men He has had a relationship with has always been in a agreement, covenant if you like. Which apparently is required to live the life the Lord God gave mankind. Note that mankind cannot coexist peacefully at any level without a agreement of sorts. So the Almighty’s control over such things are there but who asks Him to intervene in their affairs as though they agree that the Lord God is the Judge of what is good and evil for His creation and the creatures therein.

did the citizens of the state of Florida set aside a time to ask God for Mercy, like the people of Nineveh did in Jonah’s day? No, so why is the OP thinking they were entitled something from the Lord God?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

DPMartin wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:11 pm did the citizens of the state of Florida set aside a time to ask God for Mercy, like the people of Nineveh did in Jonah’s day? No, so why is the OP thinking they were entitled something from the Lord God?
I am sure many prayed. Do you think those who did were spared?
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:52 pm
DPMartin wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:11 pm did the citizens of the state of Florida set aside a time to ask God for Mercy, like the people of Nineveh did in Jonah’s day? No, so why is the OP thinking they were entitled something from the Lord God?
I am sure many prayed. Do you think those who did were spared?
find out who they were and ask them, let me know the answer
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:17 pm find out who they were and ask them, let me know the answer
I don't have a good way to do that, of course. But I am interested in what I asked, which is not the same question:
Do you think those who prayed were spared?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

DPMartin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:26 pm

lets see
you are blaming God for giving you a place in His creation to be, that just isn't up to your standards, correct? since when is there an entitlement of creation or the created of its Creator?

Now, back to...this?
DPMartin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:26 pmthat's like saying the painting is entitled what it wants from its painter. It’s the painter that is entitled to make the painting anything he wants, or even erase it and start over or even destroy it and use something else, the painting is entitled to receive what ever the painter decides in the painter's judgement if its anything at all.
Yeah. Now please respond to the points I raise above.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Here's yet the latest account of that which has become all too familiar around the globe: the mass shooter.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/10/06 ... d-shooting

'BANGKOK — A former police officer armed with a handgun and knife attacked a child-care facility in northeastern Thailand on Thursday, killing more than 30 people, most of them children, in the deadliest mass shooting in the Southeast Asian nation ever carried out by a lone perpetrator.

The attacker then shot and killed himself, his wife and their 4-year-old child, according to officials. In all, the gunman killed 37 people, the national police chief said.'

Of course, here it is easier to place the focus on the evil that is said to manifest itself over and again among mere mortals.

God gave the man free will and he chose to slaughter these kids.

As though -- presto! -- that lets the omniscient and omnipotent God off the hook.

Omniscient meaning [for some] that the man was not really free to choose to do this at all because God knew in advance that he would do it. Meaning [again, for some] that he was never really able to not do it.

Omnipotent meaning that God could have made it impossible for the man to do this...freely of his own volition or not.

Thus back again to His "mysterious ways" in allowing things like this to happen.

Or perhaps your own assessment?
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:13 pm

Now, back to...this?

na
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

DPMartin wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:57 pm
iambiguous wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:13 pm

na
Fair enough. :lol: