Hurricane Ian and God...no, seriously

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

Hurricane Ian and God...no, seriously

Post by iambiguous »

Hurricane Ian is about to smash into the West coast of Florida. Perhaps as the deadliest of all hurricanes...a category 5.

God knows [literally if there is one] how many people [men, women and children] will die or suffer terrible injuries. How many will lose everything to the storm. How many will find their lives all but in tatters.

So, what, given your own best thinking, was God [your God, their God, any God] thinking when He created planet Earth to make these ghastly "acts of God" inevitable.

Ironically, I wish that I could believe in God if only to have someone to hold responsible for all of these terrible "natural disasters". At least there would be a reason for all of the horrific pain and suffering. And I'd sure be willing to settle for God's "mysterious ways" rather than in believing that these things happen in the way in which "shit happens"...in an essentially meaningless and purposeless world encompassed in the "brute facticity" of an utterly indifferent universe.
bobmax

Re: Hurricane Ian and God...no, seriously

Post by bobmax »

Have you ever had the suspicion that you, really you, are responsible?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Have you ever had the suspicion that you, really you, are responsible?"

Biggs has good reason to feel like he's being held fully responsible because this won't be the first time God tries to kill Biggs by a hurricane
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

bobmax wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:54 pm Have you ever had the suspicion that you, really you, are responsible?
Nope, not once.

In fact, if it were in my power, I'd put a stop to this...

"...an endless procession of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and tornadoes and hurricanes and great floods and great droughts and great fires and deadly viral and bacterial plagues and miscarriages and hundreds and hundreds of medical and mental afflictions and extinction events...making life on Earth a living hell for countless millions of men, women and children down through the ages..."

...once and for all. And I suspect that it wouldn't strike me as mysterious at all as to why I would.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Note to any Floridians here in the path of Ian:

Read this. Then get back to us after the storm bears down on thousands of other hapless souls. Well, once the power is restored. And you're still among the living.
Last edited by iambiguous on Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:33 pm
bobmax wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:54 pm Have you ever had the suspicion that you, really you, are responsible?
Nope, not once.

"...an endless procession of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and tornadoes and hurricanes and great floods and great droughts and great fires and deadly viral and bacterial plagues and miscarriages and hundreds and hundreds of medical and mental afflictions and extinction events...making life on Earth a living hell for countless millions of men, women and children down through the ages..."

...once and for all. And I suspect that it wouldn't strike me as mysterious at all as to why I would.
But it is one thing to have power now, another to be responsible.

You don't have the power now.
But, are you really not responsible?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

bobmax wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:39 pm
iambiguous wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:33 pm
Nope, not once.

But it is one thing to have power now, another to be responsible.

But, are you really not responsible?
Oh, now I see. You want to turn this into a technical, philosophical inquiry.

Okay, my thinking here goes like this:

Logically, epistemologically and, well, actually, I don't have any power whatsoever to stop this hurricane from devastating the lives of thousands of men, women and children. The children in particular. Therefore, technically and otherwise, I don't believe that, logically, epistemologically or, well, actually, I should be held responsible for any of the dire consequences that will unfold down there.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Perhaps 'god' doesn't even like humans...
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Cat 4 is nothing to sneeze at. One year, for the fun of it and to see what's what, we took a journey through North Carolina during a Cat 1 at night, on some concocted long-distance errand which often is our wont. We were about a hundred miles inland on I95 paralleling the coast (N-S highway numbers are odd numbers). Inland tropical air in the temperate zone is a big change, and of course the wind and rain was impressive. But that was a Cat 1, far from the Atlantic.

I heard one projection of an 18 foot storm surge for this Cat 4. That can't be possible, can it? They're usually just a few feet in those parts.

If only the world had reverted to a pre-Industrial economy years ago, we wouldn't have these hurricanes. Then again, neither would we have the food supply and thus the population to build all the homes out of twigs and straw, no defense against Big Bad Wolves that live on the coastline.

Conclusion: Through childhood indoctrination, God has taught man to build sturdy homes of brick (or modern equivalents). The fact that folks can't hear God is an indication of implications such as blindness, ignorance, and corruption, not to mention hard of hearingness. :|
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Humans have no more significance on this earth than say a mosquito or a cockroach has.

The only thing of value here for the human being is it's capacity to be more aware of itself due to it's larger brain and to be able to use that highly evolved awareness to recognise the harm of coming into existence and the pain and suffering that ensues for every living sentient organism. When a sentient organism is able to be aware it is aware, that's a positive attribute.

As for the Hurricane, it's wise to not build houses that are directly within their path, houses that would be potentially wiped away were a cat 5 to swing by. But then that's the risk we all take. Life is a risk, I cannot see it could be any other way. Life forms are very fragile, especially against the force of nature and it's myriad of catastrophic causes and effects that no living thing on earth has any control over whatsoever. Especially the cause and effects that wiped out the dinosaurs to extinction. We're nothing special, we're just mindless replicating dna molecules taking a chance on life, being aware of the causes and effects and consequences. We are the watching of the creation and destruction of life, and that's all that is happening and will ever happen, and so we are still responsible for what we can change for the better until we finally succumb to natures ways.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:48 pm Oh, now I see. You want to turn this into a technical, philosophical inquiry.

Logically, epistemologically and, well, actually, I don't have any power whatsoever to stop this hurricane from devastating the lives of thousands of men, women and children. The children in particular. Therefore, technically and otherwise, I don't believe that, logically, epistemologically or, well, actually, I should be held responsible for any of the dire consequences that will unfold down there.

But are you sure it's not you, just you, the origin of all things?

Doesn't what happens, everything that happens, ultimately depend on what you decided?

Isn't this world your choice?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:39 pm
Note to any Floridians here in the path of Ian:

Read this. Then get back to us after the storm bears down on thousands of other hapless souls. Well, once the power is restored. And you're still among the living.
Oh, pardon me. I missed the part where I sent that to people in danger. I thought I sent it to people in a philosophy forum. I must have had a black out or psychotic break. And weirdly, since I read it, I didn't think it was a solution to the problem of evil, but rather a summary of various positions and counterpositions on the topic. IOW oddly I didn't realize I thought it would be comfort to people in pain or danger or suffering loss. How odd to find that I did think it was that and that I intended it that way. You only learn your true motives through the insight of empaths like you.

Let's treat your OP with the kind of skewed attack you aimed at me.

Note to any Floridians in the path of Ian: read the OP where someone is posing as already experiencing his empathy for your not yet occurred injuries and deaths, and then drifting into his narcissism at the end. The real issue is his wish that he had someone to blame for your deaths and injuries and how horrible it is for him not to have a deity to be enraged at on your behalf.

Get off your moral high horse you faux moral nihilist with your faux empathy you can't help but contradict in the same post.

Your lack of concern about, or interest in, anything that doesn't further your little war.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

bobmax wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:39 pm
iambiguous wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:48 pm Oh, now I see. You want to turn this into a technical, philosophical inquiry.

But are you sure it's not you, just you, the origin of all things?

Doesn't what happens, everything that happens, ultimately depend on what you decided?

Isn't this world your choice?
Of course I am the origin of all things! And that has to include Florida and Ian!!

God is off the hook for sure then!!!

Besides, it's us dumb humans that continue to live in places where floods and droughts and hurricanes and tornadoes and volcanic eruptions and earthquakes and tsunamis and all the other "acts of God" can kill us, can wreck our lives. Let's all move to Antarctica. There we can dress for the cold and thrive.

As for the occasional "extinction event" that wipes out significant chunks of all living things, well, the Second Coming is likely to occur before the next one. Only those "left behind" anyway will have to deal with that.

Right, I.C.?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

What I really believe is that God sent the hurricane to punish DeSantis for sending Mexicans to Martha's Vineyard.

'the Floridians will pay for the sins of their governors' - Bro Cepheus 7:2