Hurricane Ian and God...no, seriously

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Hurricane Ian and God...no, seriously

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:53 pm OK, but it doesn't seem honest or respectful.
You have told me several times I am not obligated to believe it or like it, etc. Or that I don't have to read it. Of course.
I truly will let you know if I think you have some kind of gun to my head, so you don't have to remind me of these facts.
But here you are engaging people and you just change your mind and what you say at any time. Deny what you said seconds ago, for example.
It's not particularly non-dual philosophy either.
Ok, if you say so.

But what you say about this that is my non-dual philosophy, will not change the way I philosophise according to my own unique understanding as to the nature of reality.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:48 pm
Age wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:24 pm
NON human being caused storms are NOT so-called 'wreaking havoc' on thee Creation. These storms are just naturally occurring occurrences , which are just a part of Creating thee Creation.
You cannot even speak of such an event without conceptualising the event into a form of knowledge.

No cause can be known to have happened without a concept about it.

Wreaking havoc is a concept known, as self-evidently witnessed in a hurricane event.
Absolutely NO 'havoc' 'wreaked' from what I observed. If that is what you are, supposedly, 'witnessing', then I am NOT sure what you are LOOKING AT and SEEING, EXACTLY.

A minute few bits of human made 'things' NOT being in the way, shape, nor form that that were in a day or two ago is CERTAINLY NOT, well to me anyway, absolutely ANY thing to be SEEN as 'wreaked havoc' AT ALL.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:48 pm It is not known what knows concept without making the knower into a concept that knows nothing.
But, as I KEEP TELLING and INFORMING 'you', the one known as "dontaskme" here, ALL of this is ALREADY KNOWN, and KNOWN IRREFUTABLY SO, I will add.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:48 pm The origin of the knower cannot be reached since there is an infinite amount of things to know, because there is an infinite amount of things to be and experience in an infinite reality. There is no end to knowing. There is no end to not knowing.
But I KNOW EVERY and ALL 'things' ALREADY, including EXACTLY WHO, WHERE, and WHAT 'I', thee KNOWER, AM, as well as WHEN, HOW, and WHY 'I' came to EXIST.

But 'you' are STILL a VERY LONG WAY of LEARNING, UNDERSTANDING, and KNOWING these 'things' also.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:48 pm What we don't know is infinite.
But we ALREADY DO KNOW, EXACTLY, and IRREFUTABLY.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:48 pm In other words there is no known beginning or ending of knowing...aka a knower.
Who ever said, or even suggested, there WAS?

There is NO beginning, and there was NO ending.

Post by Age »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:49 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:30 pm But, I am only talking about the knower.
I believe you said no one has access to reality.

Are you saying I might have access to reality?
That which knows can never be an object of it's own knowledge rings true through all time because it can be verified in one's direct experience.
So, it's a truth. A truth about me and my life, which are parts of reality. Or if they are not true for me and some guy in Bancock, then why are you writing as if this truth of yours is universal.

Becaues I keep pointing out that you think you have access to reality and you know things that are true and false.

And you keep responding by telling me more truths and justifying your assertions and universalising.

And so I point out that you are confirming what I am saying.
and so on.
If we actually try to find that which knows, the not finding speaks volumes. An instrument that interferes with itself is doing so at it's own detriment. So the knower cannot know itself as it would be simply getting in the way. There is no access to the knower because there is only knowing one without a second. .this is not too difficult to grasp.

That is my philosophy, take it or leave, I don't mind, if it's not relevant for you, then so be it, but it won't change my philosophy which will always be the same.
I'm not disagreeing or agreeing. I am pointing out that you are telling us what reality is.

Again and again. While also telling us that we have no access to reality.

Note: now you start saying you don't know. But really if one reads your posts it seems like you don't believe what you are saying. Or you would not say it like that.
It is NOT that "dontaskme" does NOT believe what it SAYS and CLAIMS. It is just that whenever one POINTS OUT the INCONSISTENCY or CONTRADICTIONS in what "dontaskme" SAYS or CLAIMS, then "dontaskme" will just then SAY and CLAIM the EXACT OPPOSITE 'thing'.

And this is just because "dontaskme" can NOT put in words what 'it' thinks or BELIEVES is true. See, "dontaskme" BELIEVES that 'it' is an ABSOLUTE IMPOSSIBILITY to put into words 'that', which 'it' KNOWS is true.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:54 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:49 pmI'm not disagreeing or agreeing. I am pointing out that you are telling us what reality is.

Again and again. While also telling us that we have no access to reality.

I am telling you that there is no one telling you what reality is.
So, there IS an 'I', which is TELLING "another" 'i', that there is, ACTUALLY, absolutely NO 'one' telling 'you', another 'i', what 'reality' IS.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:54 pm I am telling you that there is no one to access reality.
AGAIN, this supposed NO one, known as 'I' here, is telling "another" NO 'one', who is known as 'you', that there is, AGAIN ACTUALLY, NO 'one' to ACCESS 'reality'. However, the 'one' KNOWN as 'I' MUST OF somehow GAINED ACCESS to 'reality' to BELIEVE that 'it' can TELL "others" that REALLY there IS absolutely NO 'one' SAYING and TELLING ALL nor ANY of 'this'.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:54 pm If you do not want to hear this, then so be it.
But, if there REALLY is NO one TELLING, then there, literally, is NOTHING to HEAR.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:51 pm
Age wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:18 pmHowever, 'the image' of 'the observer' and 'thee Observer' can be SEEN as 'a thing' and 'A Thing' KNOWN. Just like 'thoughts' and 'the wind' can be KNOWN, and SEEN as 'things'.
The image of the observer has no image, it's projects an image in the form of a concept known. In other words, what is known is inseparable from the imageless.

Simply because known images cannot know of their own existence.

Again, I will repeat. That which knows can never be an object of its own knowledge.
NEVER said that thee I could.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:51 pm In one's direct experience there is no image of the knower.

If we actually try to find that which knows, the not finding speaks volumes.
But ONCE one FIND 'that', which KNOWS, then there is absolutely NO 'need' to 'try to' find the EXACT SAME 'Thing' AGAIN, OBVIOUSLY.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:42 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:54 pm

I am telling you that there is no one telling you what reality is.

I am telling you that there is no one to access reality.

If you do not want to hear this, then so be it.
You seem only interested in what you are telling me. I read it. I consider it. If I question it, you tell me the same things again. If I point out that you seem to think you have access to reality, to you tell why you think you are right about reality. If I point out that you obviously think you have access to reality, you avoid dealing with this directly. No you are telling me that you are no one.
Well, whomever is writing to us thinks she has access to reality. If we believe her then we will think we do not have access to reality while she will continue to think she has access to reality.

What does this remind you of in relationships?
I have no problem with our relationship Iwannaplato. I have several relationships with others.
WHY do 'you' MISREAD and/or MISUNDERSTAND SO OFTEN "dontaskme"?

It sometimes appear as though you PURPOSELY INTEND to READ Incorrectly.

Did 'you' REALLY think that "iwannaplato" was talking about and referring to the 'relationship' that 'you' have here with "iwannaplato"?

Or, do you just PRETEND that this was what the 'relationship' words was in relation to?

If you just do this in PRETENSE, then WHY?

WHAT is the reason for doing so?
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 pm But these relationships have nothing to do with my philosophy on the nature of reality. Nor are my relationships with other people affected or hurt or offended by my philosophy in any way shape or form...
But you have, at least, ALLUDED to the VERY OPPOSITE of this claim here now, previously.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 pm I am only playing around with ideas that's all philosophy is to me.

I am writing about nondual philosophy that's all.
NO you are NOT.

A HUGE DEAL of what you write is VERY CONTRADICTORY, and it is IN dualism EXACTLY WHERE CONTRADICTION LIES and RESIDES.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 pm No one is obliged to believe it, or even like it, or even make sense of it.
So, this means that you have absolutely NO responsibility NOR absolutely ANY obligation to even just attempt to make sense in ANY way, shape, NOR form correct?
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 pm So be it. And nothing will change, I will still continue to speak in nondual context.

You can continue to question this philosophy for as long as you wish, but the answers you get will not change.

Even when NOT asked for, you will STILL KEEP REPEATING the same OLD does NOT even have to make sense, nonsense, correct?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:36 am
Walker wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:20 pm Cat 4 is nothing to sneeze at. One year, for the fun of it and to see what's what, we took a journey through North Carolina during a Cat 1 at night, on some concocted long-distance errand which often is our wont. We were about a hundred miles inland on I95 paralleling the coast (N-S highway numbers are odd numbers). Inland tropical air in the temperate zone is a big change, and of course the wind and rain was impressive. But that was a Cat 1, far from the Atlantic.

I heard one projection of an 18 foot storm surge for this Cat 4. That can't be possible, can it? They're usually just a few feet in those parts.
LOL NORMAL EVERYDAY tides are bigger than that in some parts of earth.
Now that the hurricane has passed, initial reports indicate a tidal surge of 7 feet. That's the highest I've heard so far. Maybe the tidal surge was higher elsewhere but any witnesses could have been washed out to sea. Initial estimates are many fatalities due to the storm, or some would say due to God and any of God's accomplices. But these are early guesses. The authorities can't even get to all the rubble yet.

Not so funny now, huh. Lots of dead folks. Of course, what better time for someone who lives in the area to get a fresh start in life, particularly one with heavy debts to unscrupulous villains. Just vanish, and read your own obituary. After all, we're talking Florida here, infamous for its eccentric folks. That obviously won't work in the future, when all souls are geotagged.

Quite a process. The air pressure pushing down on the surface of the ocean decreases, causing the surface of the ocean to rise. Aka, storm surge accentuated by the tides and the wind.

Now Age, sink your teeth into this line of reasoning.

Question: Where can you find decreased air pressure under normal conditions?
Answer: The high mountains. The high country.

Question: Who is attracted to the high country?
Answer: Traditionally, the enlightened ones dwell at the source of the Ganges, and at the source of the source.
Last edited by Walker on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:11 pm Hurricane Ian is about to smash into the West coast of Florida. Perhaps as the deadliest of all hurricanes...a category 5.

God knows [literally if there is one] how many people [men, women and children] will die or suffer terrible injuries. How many will lose everything to the storm. How many will find their lives all but in tatters.

So, what, given your own best thinking, was God [your God, their God, any God] thinking when He created planet Earth to make these ghastly "acts of God" inevitable.

Ironically, I wish that I could believe in God if only to have someone to hold responsible for all of these terrible "natural disasters". At least there would be a reason for all of the horrific pain and suffering. And I'd sure be willing to settle for God's "mysterious ways" rather than in believing that these things happen in the way in which "shit happens"...in an essentially meaningless and purposeless world encompassed in the "brute facticity" of an utterly indifferent universe.
lets see
you are blaming God for giving you a place in His creation to be, that just isn't up to your standards, correct? since when is there an entitlement of creation or the created of its Creator?

that's like saying the painting is entitled what it wants from its painter. It’s the painter that is entitled to make the painting anything he wants, or even erase it and start over or even destroy it and use something else, the painting is entitled to receive what ever the painter decides in the painter's judgement if its anything at all.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"God knows [literally if there is one] how many people [men, women and children] will die or suffer terrible injuries."

Relax Biggs God only killed seventeen people so far with his meteorological laws. You act like this could be the end of mankind or something.

Sorry DPM. He just gets a little over excited when he finds a chance to remind us of the horrendous suffering certainly billions of people have experienced at some point in history on this third stone from the sun.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm
Age wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:36 am
Walker wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:20 pm Cat 4 is nothing to sneeze at. One year, for the fun of it and to see what's what, we took a journey through North Carolina during a Cat 1 at night, on some concocted long-distance errand which often is our wont. We were about a hundred miles inland on I95 paralleling the coast (N-S highway numbers are odd numbers). Inland tropical air in the temperate zone is a big change, and of course the wind and rain was impressive. But that was a Cat 1, far from the Atlantic.

I heard one projection of an 18 foot storm surge for this Cat 4. That can't be possible, can it? They're usually just a few feet in those parts.
LOL NORMAL EVERYDAY tides are bigger than that in some parts of earth.
Now that the hurricane has passed, initial reports indicate a tidal surge of 7 feet.
Which is relatively NOTHING, in the scheme of things or compared to other parts of 'the world'.
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm That's the highest I've heard so far.
You are SERIOUSLY NOT trying to say a 7 foot tidal surge is of ANY real significance are you?

If you lived on an island in the middle of the pacific ocean where the highest bit of ground was not much more, or was even lower than just 7 foot, then I would TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, but in relation to the SIZE of the land, which is called the misnomer "united states of america", then REALLY, WHO CARES?

Why do a GREAT MAJORITY of those who live in that country come across as the MOST self-centered people on earth?
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm Maybe the tidal surge was higher elsewhere but any witnesses could have been washed out to sea.
OF COURSE ANY 'witnesses' could have been washed out to sea. BUT;

1. One of the first rules of ANY typhoon, hurricane, or cyclone is do NOT stand somewhere and looking at things IF you could be WASHED OUT TO SEA. Or, in that country are people ADVISED to "GO STAND NEAR THE SEA and WITNESS the hurricane a coming", instead?

2. ANY witnesses on ANY coastline off ANY country at just about ANY time can be WASHED OUT TO SEE by a tidal surge, a tidal wave, or just a wave, let alone when a category or signal 4 or 5 hurricane is crossing the coast.
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm Initial estimates are many fatalities due to the storm,
Here is ANOTHER PRIME EXAMPLE of 'emotive' talk, to 'try to' cause a REACTION.

Now, HOW MANY does the 'many' word here refer to, EXACTLY?

Even if a hundred human beings 'died' in that storm that would still be a FAR DEAL LESS that the human beings of that country have KILLED by just DROPPING human being MADE BOMBS on "other's" heads.

Also, 'many' is such a RELATIVE word it seems hilarious to use it in such a circumstance, other than, of course, just to emote a reaction. And, a reaction EXACTLY like what 'you' are portraying and showing here "walker".

See, if a hundred or a thousand 'died' from that one storm, then this is NOT many AT ALL in relation to 'that country', 'the over-population' of 'that country' NOR in relation to just HOW MANY of 'you', people, 'you' people actually SHOOT and KILL each year anyway. After all, 'you', people, would probably SHOOT and KILL FAR, FAR MORE of 'your' OWN people than that INSIGNIFICANT other LITTLE number. And this is NOT even including those people in OTHER countries.

However, and OBVIOUSLY, MANY is a HUGE number if one or more within one's OWN close-nit family was KILLED in a storm, or by A GUN, for that matter.
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm or some would say due to God and any of God's accomplices. But these are early guesses. The authorities can't even get to all the rubble yet.
You speak as though this is some sort of unusual activity AFTER a storm. Or, like that this is some sort of an unusual occurrence.
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm Not so funny now, huh.
I would NOT be so sure if I was you.
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm Lots of dead folks.
Before you said, "many", now you say, "lots". So, HOW MANY is 'many' and HOW MANY is 'lots'?

And, are you even AWARE that DYING from storms is BOUND TO HAPPEN, but DYING from GUNSHOT WOUNDS is ABSOLUTELY and COMPLETELY UNAVOIDABLE?

Now, HOW MANY DIED from GUNSHOTS WOUNDS on the SAME DAY that that storm crossed a coastline, AND, HOW MANY DIED from THAT STORM?
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm Of course, what better time for someone who lives in the area to get a fresh start in life, particularly one with heavy debts to unscrupulous villains. Just vanish, and read your own obituary.
How would one 'survive' in a country like that when they are supposed to be dead?
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm After all, we're talking Florida here, infamous for its eccentric folks.
And the rest of that country is NOT infamously known for its eccentric folks?

From the rest of the world's perspective, we just look at who gets voted in as the so-called "leaders" of that WHOLE, (eccentric) country.
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm That obviously won't work in the future, when all souls are geotagged.
I would NOT want to work in NOR for a country of such ill-repute also.
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm Quite a process. The air pressure pushing down on the surface of the ocean decreases, causing the surface of the ocean to rise. Aka, storm surge accentuated by the tides and the wind.

Now Age, sink your teeth into this line of reasoning.
I might just LOOK AT 'it' instead.
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm Question: Where can you find decreased air pressure under normal conditions?
Answer: The high mountains. The high country.

Question: Who is attracted to the high country?
Answer: Traditionally, the enlightened ones dwell at the source of the Ganges, and at the source of the source.
As some might say, "WTF".
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:39 pm
Age wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:16 am ...
Note to others:

I STOPPED reading the POSTS of AGE long ago.

A "condition" I SUSPECT.
Yes, a 'condition' combined with a uniquely-entitled god-complex. 8)

Might be interesting for psychotherapy rather than philosophy, as it's just an ongoing torrent of projections and misinterpretations turned back on people in response to anything they say.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:18 pm ...
I think that the key for us, insulated as we are from hurricanes at the moment, is this stuff about air pressure.

High lamas in Tibet knew the mind well enough to scientifically recognize, systematize, categorize and taxonomize the workings of the mind, and apprehension of reality. One of the elements leading up to this fact of evolution could well be the prolonged and generational effects of lighter air pressure on the totality of the physical organism, including the noggin. But of course, although it would be but one of many elements, along with perpetual views into vast spaces and intense cold every time one stepped out of the shelter to take a walk, it would likely be a major element even if unrecognized, since that effect of air pressure would be less subject to conceptual influence.

The first two lines are funny ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhD58dP9kq8

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:17 pm
iambiguous wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:39 pm
Age wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:16 am ...
Note to others:

I STOPPED reading the POSTS of AGE long ago.

A "condition" I SUSPECT.
Yes, a 'condition' combined with a uniquely-entitled god-complex. 8)
Here we have another PROJECTION, thrown at the "other", but which is just REALLY another TOTALLY Wrong and Incorrect MISINTERPRETATION.
Lacewing wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:17 pm Might be interesting for psychotherapy rather than philosophy, as it's just an ongoing torrent of projections and misinterpretations turned back on people in response to anything they say.
And AGAIN resorting to LOOKING AT 'the character' or the "other", instead of CONCENTRATING ONLY on JUST the words ALONE, and NOT responding the JUST the WORDS ALONE.

IF there is something False, Wrong, or Incorrect in what was SAID and STATED, then just POINT 'them' OUT, and DISCUSS 'them' ONLY.

Otherwise, resorting to MIS/JUDGING and MIS/DIAGNOSING of "others" is just a SIGN that that one is NOT ABLE to REFUTE or ARGUE AGAINST what was just being POINTED OUT and SHOWN here, in WORDS.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

DPMartin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:26 pm
iambiguous wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:11 pm Hurricane Ian is about to smash into the West coast of Florida. Perhaps as the deadliest of all hurricanes...a category 5.

God knows [literally if there is one] how many people [men, women and children] will die or suffer terrible injuries. How many will lose everything to the storm. How many will find their lives all but in tatters.

So, what, given your own best thinking, was God [your God, their God, any God] thinking when He created planet Earth to make these ghastly "acts of God" inevitable.

Ironically, I wish that I could believe in God if only to have someone to hold responsible for all of these terrible "natural disasters". At least there would be a reason for all of the horrific pain and suffering. And I'd sure be willing to settle for God's "mysterious ways" rather than in believing that these things happen in the way in which "shit happens"...in an essentially meaningless and purposeless world encompassed in the "brute facticity" of an utterly indifferent universe.
lets see
you are blaming God for giving you a place in His creation to be, that just isn't up to your standards, correct? since when is there an entitlement of creation or the created of its Creator?
Again, another post that, from my own subjective frame of mind, would be the norm over at the New ILP. From her, for example.

But here, at a philosophy forum derived from Philosophy Now magazine?! Yes, it still boggles my mind!!

Seriously though, if you created a planet that resulted in...

"...an endless procession of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and tornadoes and hurricanes and great floods and great droughts and great fires and deadly viral and bacterial plagues and miscarriages and hundreds and hundreds of medical and mental afflictions and extinction events...making life on Earth a living hell for countless millions of men, women and children down through the ages..."

...would it or would it not be reasonable to blame you?

Now, back to...this?
DPMartin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:26 pmthat's like saying the painting is entitled what it wants from its painter. It’s the painter that is entitled to make the painting anything he wants, or even erase it and start over or even destroy it and use something else, the painting is entitled to receive what ever the painter decides in the painter's judgement if its anything at all.
I mean, truly, can you actually imagine something like this popping up in an article from Philosophy Now magazine?!!
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

iambiguous wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:16 pm
DPMartin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:26 pm

lets see
Again, another post that, from my own subjective frame of mind, would be the norm over at the New ILP. From her, for example.

But here, at a philosophy forum derived from Philosophy Now magazine?! Yes, it still boggles my mind!!

Seriously though, if you created a planet that resulted in...

"...an endless procession of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and tornadoes and hurricanes and great floods and great droughts and great fires and deadly viral and bacterial plagues and miscarriages and hundreds and hundreds of medical and mental afflictions and extinction events...making life on Earth a living hell for countless millions of men, women and children down through the ages..."

...would it or would it not be reasonable to blame you?

Now, back to...this?
DPMartin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:26 pmthat's like saying the painting is entitled what it wants from its painter. It’s the painter that is entitled to make the painting anything he wants, or even erase it and start over or even destroy it and use something else, the painting is entitled to receive what ever the painter decides in the painter's judgement if its anything at all.
I mean, truly, can you actually imagine something like this popping up in an article from Philosophy Now magazine?!!
you do know this is the religion section of this site and not the Philosophy Now magazine section, correct?