What did Jesus ever do for us?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: What did Jesus ever do for us?

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:34 am
No, you can figure it out, though.

I'm not an American, but am mistaken for one.

I'm not in the UK, but Americans who talk to me think I might be.

How many places are left?
I always assumed you were from the USA, but when you started talking about places in England I wondered if I'd got it wrong and you were actually from here. That's all it was about, but you say you are not in the UK, so that sorts that out. I'm sorry for prying.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:43 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:34 am
No, you can figure it out, though.

I'm not an American, but am mistaken for one.

I'm not in the UK, but Americans who talk to me think I might be.

How many places are left?
I always assumed you were from the USA, but when you started talking about places in England I wondered if I'd got it wrong and you were actually from here. That's all it was about, but you say you are not in the UK, so that sorts that out. I'm sorry for prying.
You're not prying. I just try to keep my personal details out of philosophical discussion, because I have a tendency to say things that Politicallly Correct types resent. Besides, a man should be believed because his argument is good, not because of where he lives, what he does, or who he is. So I deliberately keep my profile vague.

Nope, not the USA. Not the UK. What's left that has elements of both?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:50 am
You're not prying. I just try to keep my personal details out of philosophical discussion, because I have a tendency to say things that Politicallly Correct types resent. Besides, a man should be believed because his argument is good, not because of where he lives, what he does, or who he is. So I deliberately keep my profile vague.

I know what you mean. I've said quite a few things to quite a few people online that would make me very nervouse about their knowing where I lived.

Well it has been suggested that you live in Canada, so I'll go with that.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:03 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:50 am

I know what you mean. I've said quite a few things to quite a few people online that would make me very nervouse about their knowing where I lived.
My guess?

Harrogate.
Well it has been suggested that you live in Canada, so I'll go with that.
🍪
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:34 am
My guess?

Harrogate.
No, I don't live up there, I'm in South Yorshire. The part of Yorkshire where all the ruffians are. :)
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:40 am
My guess?

Harrogate.
No, I don't live up there, I'm in South Yorshire. The part of Yorkshire where all the ruffians are. :)
Anyone there remember the Yorkshire ripper?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:48 am Anyone there remember the Yorkshire ripper?
Most of us who are old enough probably remember him very well. I live about 15 miles from where they finally caught him. Funnily enough, when I heard about his capture on the radio, I was only a couple of miles away from where they caught him.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:36 pm
promethean75 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:30 pm jesus was a central character in a very marketable story that medieval venture capitalists would take advantage of producing once enough material was complied for a book. first with feathered pen then with printing press.

the simple life of a jewish hippie carpenter who always had a big enough clique around him to stir some shit up with the POleece. in a sense he wuz one of the first manson type sociopaths, tho his was a nonviolent and passive narcissistic messianic complex of the b4.c subtype.
But what great deeds did he perform, whether fable or actual?
His words were worthy of listening to. Besides but including that, those words gave us great hope and comfort in our past lives where both men and women longed to be reunited through much turmoil such as war.

I love Christ. We have hope in such love.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 am I love Christ. We have hope in such love.
Maybe I have an emotional deficiency or something, but declarations like that baffle me. How on earth can you love someone who's been dead for 2000 years, and you (obviously) never even met?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:32 am
attofishpi wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 am I love Christ. We have hope in such love.
Maybe I have an emotional deficiency or something, but declarations like that baffle me. How on earth can you love someone who's been dead for 2000 years, and you (obviously) never even met?
Well, I can't be certain of that.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:58 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:48 am Anyone there remember the Yorkshire ripper?
Most of us who are old enough probably remember him very well. I live about 15 miles from where they finally caught him. Funnily enough, when I heard about his capture on the radio, I was only a couple of miles away from where they caught him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScELaXMCVis
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

That's not quite how we speak in my corner of Yorkshire, VT. The accent here is coarser and more unintelligible. :)
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

My guess?

Harrogate.
Ah. Well, Huddersfield? Maybe even *gasp* Bradford? Or a bigger town, like Leeds?

"The horror, the horror..." :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:08 pm

Ah. Well, Huddersfield? Maybe even *gasp* Bradford? Or a bigger town, like Leeds?

No, I think they are all in West Yorkshire. If you drew a triangle connecting Sheffield, Doncaster and Barnsley, I would be in the unfortunate position of finding myself inside it. :)
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:20 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:08 pm

No, I think they are all in West Yorkshire. If you drew a triangle connecting Sheffield, Doncaster and Barnsley, I would be in the unfortunate position of finding myself inside it. :)
"Great Caesar's ghost," as Perry White used to say to Superman. Steel country.

Well, the area has, for me, a certain charm, anyway.

I find the history of the Luddites and the Industrial Revolution very interesting. I've been to the Labour museum in Manchester, and to the remarkable restored mill they have near the airport, too. It's a fascinating time, one written all over the face of South Yorkshire. The residual deleterious effects are, of course, regrettable; but it doesn't make the history less fascinating.

But of course, you probably take all that for granted. It's as common as the grass in your yard, no doubt...if you have a yard with grass, of course. :wink: