An Omniscient God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: An Omniscient God

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:12 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:11 am
Belinda wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:07 am
Man's past is important , and records of man's past are justified. The justifications of history are 1. When you know where you have come from you can better predict where you are going and where you intend to go. 2. When you are emotionally attached to your cultural or topographical origin you have that extra moral strength to fight for the life and liberty of people like yourself.
Not for those who have seen through the illusion for what it actually is. It's like playing the same video game over and over again, it gets tediously repetitive and dull after the novelty has worn off, to the point you want to stop playing the game.

Some people are just so over the illusion they no longer have a desire to play anymore. Other people seem to love the torture of being.

I used to believe the game is worth playing once upon a time, then a calamity hit me out of nowhere, and I became a realist, and threw out all my delusions for good.
You don't and never have seemed to be so dispirited that you may as well be dead. As a living being you have no choice but to make decisions about what to do next.
You and I believe in non-dualism. However we are forced to live our lives as if we exist in a relative world where we must face the next minute, the hour, the day, the year----
I'm currently reading ...[The Conspiracy Against The Human Race] by Thomas Ligotti

It's as though I'd written it myself. It speaks my language.

Have you read it Belinda?

Look at your body
A painted puppet, a poor toy
Of jointed parts ready to collapse
A diseased and suffering thing
With a head full of false imaginings

The Dahammapada
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:25 am
iambiguous wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:52 pm
Though, sure, if that's not what is of interest to others, they can choose not to discuss an omniscient God with me.
Imagination masturbation is a thing though. An unfortunate event that is the human mind. Some unfortunate events are seen as valuable to the more gullible hopeless hookers, aka life junkies.
I think it might take an omniscient God to understand what this means. :wink:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:29 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:25 am
iambiguous wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:52 pm
Though, sure, if that's not what is of interest to others, they can choose not to discuss an omniscient God with me.
Imagination masturbation is a thing though. An unfortunate event that is the human mind. Some unfortunate events are seen as valuable to the more gullible hopeless hookers, aka life junkies.
I think it might take an omniscient God to understand what this means. :wink:
:lol:

Trust me, you do not want to know. :wink:

Paraphrasing Peter Wessel Zapffe a Norwegian pessimistic Philosopher...

A surplus of consciousness and intellect is the default state of affairs for the human species, although unlike the case of the deer that Zapffe alludes to, we have been able to save ourselves from going extinct. Zapffe posits that humans have come to cope and survive by repressing this surplus of consciousness. Without restricting our consciousness, Zapffe believed the human being will fall into “a state of relentless panic” or a ‘feeling of cosmic panic’, as he puts it. This follows a person’s realisation that “[h]e is the universe’s helpless captive”

The tragedy of a species becoming unfit for life by over-evolving one ability is not confined to humankind. Thus it is thought, for instance, that certain deer in paleontological times succumbed as they acquired overly-heavy horns. The mutations must be considered blind, they work, are thrown forth, without any contact of interest with their environment. In depressive states, the mind may be seen in the image of such an antler, in all its fantastic splendor pinning its bearer to the ground...Zapffe quote.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:11 am
Belinda wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:07 am
Man's past is important , and records of man's past are justified. The justifications of history are 1. When you know where you have come from you can better predict where you are going and where you intend to go. 2. When you are emotionally attached to your cultural or topographical origin you have that extra moral strength to fight for the life and liberty of people like yourself.
Not for those who have seen through the illusion for what it actually is. It's like playing the same video game over and over again, it gets tediously repetitive and dull after the novelty has worn off, to the point you want to stop playing the game.

Some people are just so over the illusion they no longer have a desire to play anymore. Other people seem to love the torture of being.

I used to believe the game is worth playing once upon a time, then a calamity hit me out of nowhere, and I became a realist, and threw out all my delusions for good.
There must be many like you. Fortunately for you you found a belief system that makes sense. Some people despair.

The fact that an emergent circumstance of your life changed you is evidence that you changed once and you could therefore change again.I like you and hope you will be led by reason and not tie your little boat to some pirate ship .
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:46 am There must be many like you. Fortunately for you you found a belief system that makes sense. Some people despair.

The fact that an emergent circumstance of your life changed you is evidence that you changed once and you could therefore change again.I like you and hope you will be led by reason and not tie your little boat to some pirate ship .
IDK Belinda...as far back as a young 5 year old I'd already figured out the pretentious nature of the human puppet, I wasn't a fan of being human lets just say...and is what prompted me into the role of philosopher, it was as though I needed to understand why humans and animals behaved in the way they do, and that needing to know why is what drove me to study the philosophy of Non-duality...it's teachings have helped me to stay sane in what I consider to be an insane world. To discover that reality is nothing but a bunch of particles in flux and nothing more, and that it had no intention of malice toward itself, for how could it, it never had a mind, a design, or a plan, it is clear to me anyway that it is just a random spontaneous replicating and mutating event that just happened to happen for no particular reason or purpose.

It's not that I changed, when I had the calamity, it was that I dropped the pretense of trying to fit in with what was expected of me..I haven't really changed, I just decided to be real instead of fake. I really love people, but I love solitude more.

This theory of mine, of course, has been my own unique personal journey, through my own direct experience of life, I'm in no way saying it's everyones experience because everyone else is living through their own experiences that are unique to them.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

The idea there is such a thing as An Omniscient God..is too ridiculous to waste time on contemplating because it implies the future is known..when in truth, my logic tells me there is no future nor is there any past...except as human concepts...retired to the archives of the human brain /mind. Where all memories are stored in case there is any demand for knowledge. We are literally living our lives on the pretense that we are alive when in actual fact we are dead...because knowledge is a fiction and can only point to the illusory nature of existence, not that it does not exist, but that it is thoughtless.

There is here now...now here...only the changing changeless...reality is one singular movement going nowhere and coming from nowhere NOW HERE..and that's all that can be known about IT....the rest is just a fictional story.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:21 am The Bible teaches that God is all-knowing or omniscient. When we say that God is omniscient it means that He has perfect knowledge of all things.

I guess that means your “free will” was another LIE
I am not a theist (nor am I actually a libertarian or causa sui free will advocate), but I don't feel like this is a very charitable digestion of what the term "omniscient" could mean.

For instance, omniscience could simply mean knowing every logically possible truth while avoiding believing any falsity. It could have an epistemic mechanism of some perfect sort, or it could be something more brutish. In such a case, perhaps a free will choice isn't logically possible to know such that a being would still fulfill the definition of omniscience.

Conversely, maybe an omniscient being could still know a choice that will be made without interfering with that choice's freedoms. There is a lot of wiggle room here.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Astro Cat wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:02 am
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:21 am The Bible teaches that God is all-knowing or omniscient. When we say that God is omniscient it means that He has perfect knowledge of all things.

I guess that means your “free will” was another LIE
I am not a theist (nor am I actually a libertarian or causa sui free will advocate), but I don't feel like this is a very charitable digestion of what the term "omniscient" could mean.

For instance, omniscience could simply mean knowing every logically possible truth while avoiding believing any falsity. It could have an epistemic mechanism of some perfect sort, or it could be something more brutish. In such a case, perhaps a free will choice isn't logically possible to know such that a being would still fulfill the definition of omniscience.

Conversely, maybe an omniscient being could still know a choice that will be made without interfering with that choice's freedoms. There is a lot of wiggle room here.
An Omniscient God simply means knowing before something is known to have happened.

Which is impossible, as knowing can only become known, not before. The KNOWN is instantaneous, and cannot know of a before or after.

Knowledge can only become known as and through the artificial demand and requirement for it, within the sense of what is essentially this immediate not-knowing Now, that never happens...to know now is happening, is always a past or future knowledge ..which just points to the idea of a knower of knowledge to be an illusion. In reality, knowledge can only point to the illusory nature of itself.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:24 am An Omniscient God simply means knowing before something is known to have happened.
Omniscience isn't universally defined in such a way (was my point).
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:33 am
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:24 am An Omniscient God simply means knowing before something is known to have happened.
No word can define 'what is', or every word defines 'it'.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Omniscience is a myth regardless how it's defined in most religions which themselves are mostly myths.
Spyrith

Post by Spyrith »

How is Omniscience defined then? As far as I am concered if a God doesn't know the consequences of each and every single action then they are not in a position to be called God.

The Omniscience of gods is the only reason for gods to exist in the first place. If God doesn't have omniscience, then he won't be able to pass judgement if one action is "good" or "evil", since he won't know the consequences of the action.

And if a god isn't able to say if an action is "good" or "evil", then they're not worthy of worship since they're not much better than us puny mortals in the first place.

Edit: Even the Greeks and Romans knew this, that's why both Zeus and Jupiter were assigned the power to know the future (https://atlasmythica.com/zeus-vs-jupiter-comparison/)
Last edited by Spyrith on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dubious wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:06 am Omniscience is a myth regardless how it's defined in most religions which themselves are mostly myths.
The word omniscience means all knowing. Omni meaning all and science meaning knowledge. The word is not found anywhere in the Bible, but the truth of God being omniscient is revealed throughout its pages from Genesis to Revelation.

All knowing can only be known as this immediate knowing itself. One without a second. Knowing is a verb. Knowing I am known is known in the instantaneous moment knowing arises within the only knowing there is.

How does knowing know it knows? That is the ONE question to all our answers.

If there really was / is ''All Knowing'' God...then there would be no need or requirement to make a copy of this ''All Knowing''.

'All Knowing' does not need an instruction manual to know...unless 'All Knowing' forgets to know, which would imply the idea of an ''All Knowing'' entity God impossible.

Therefore, the Bible and it's contents are indeed a myth...because the character known to forget it knows, cannot exist if 'All Knowing' is true. Rendering all claimed 'Knowers' of knowledge to be a myth, since knowledge can only point to the illusory mythical nature of it's existence. As there is only ONE original copy of it, which cannot be copied...Knowing is ONE..not two.

The human mind cannot deal with that TRUTH, and is why it had no other option but to fall in love with it's own reflection, the make-belief cahracter of it's own making, the stuff dreams are made of, where these imagined characters still exist today inside every human mind, a life of pure dreamscape of their own making, for any dream will do, as long as they are living the dream. The mind is always intent on living the dream life, because even a dream life is better than no life.

Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Spyrith wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:38 am
How is Omniscience defined then? As far as I am concered if a God doesn't know the consequences of each and every single action then they are not in a position to be called God.

The Omniscience of gods is the only reason for gods to exist in the first place. If God doesn't have omniscience, then he won't be able to pass judgement if one action is "good" or "evil", since he won't know the consequences of the action.

And if a god isn't able to say if an action is "good" or "evil", then they're not worthy of worship since they're not much better than us puny mortals in the first place.
Some define omniscience as something like "knowing all possible truths and avoiding all possible falsities." There are whole debates about what omniscience might mean, and not all of them entail knowing the future of free choices.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Spyrith wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:38 am
How are you defining "consequences" here, if you are stating causality, then NO, God is not entirely knowing of the entire future..Y would it bother with 10 commandments?

Spyrith wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:38 amThe Omniscience of gods is the only reason for gods to exist in the first place. If God doesn't have omniscience, then he won't be able to pass judgement if one action is "good" or "evil", since he won't know the consequences of the action.
That's contradictory. For God to have omniscience would require NO free will, ergo God would be in no position to judge anyone.

Spyrith wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:38 amAnd if a god isn't able to say if an action is "good" or "evil", then they're not worthy of worship since they're not much better than us puny mortals in the first place.
No **** is worth.Y of worship unless you are willing to be owned as part of a flock.