An Omniscient God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

Re: An Omniscient God

Post by iambiguous »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:05 pmAll Philosophers, me included, are full of romantic poetry about the entity known as God. But this mentally projected entity has zero value other than the functional value the human microphone wants to project. Projection is the process by which the ''thinker'' is created. When no thought about the world is present, the thinker does not exist. The world of objects do indeed exist, and this matter is what creates the idea there is a you looking at it, and you have no idea what it is, except what you believe to be there using the knowledge you already have about it.

All that is known to exist philosophically speaking is poetic knowledge, aka dead stuff, a stuff that can never touch what is actually the immediate living moment. Nothing can know what anything is, except to describe what is in a poetic way. If the living immediate moment knew itself, it would never have any need or want to describe itself.
iambiguous wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:32 pm
"Again, from my own frame of mind, this is what I call a "general description intellectual contraption".

Or, given this thread's subject, a "general description spiritual contraption".

Me, I'm only really interested in those who believe "in their head" that an omniscient God does in fact exist.

Their own God, for example.

Now, if they take a Kierkegaardian "leap of faith" to this God, fine. After all, for any number of personal reasons rooted [in my view] in dasein, particular individuals are able to do this.

And I certainly respect their leap of faith because what can I possibly know about the lives they lived predisposing them to?

Instead, it is those who go beyond an existential leap of faith -- or a "wager" -- and insist that they know that their own God does in fact exist that most intrigue me.

And that He is in fact omniscient.

That's when the discussion shifts [for me] to these factors:

1] a demonstrable proof of the existence of your God or religious/spiritual path
2] addressing the fact that down through the ages hundreds of Gods and religious/spiritual paths to immortality and salvation were/are championed...but only one of which [if any] can be the true path. So why yours?
3] addressing the profoundly problematic role that dasein plays in any particular individual's belief in Gods and religious/spiritual faiths
4] the questions that revolve around theodicy and your own particular God or religious/spiritual path

This and reconciling God's omniscience with human autonomy.

Then back to the part where others move on to someone else if they are not interested in taking up the concerns that most interest me.

Given particular sets of circumstances that precipitate conflicting assessments of right and wrong, good and evil, true and false.
Let's bring an omniscient God down to Earth. What might the implications be for us given our day-to-day interactions. Especially when those interactions result in conflicts.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

iambiguous wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:01 pm
Let's bring an omniscient God down to Earth. What might the implications be for us given our day-to-day interactions. Especially when those interactions result in conflicts.
But why bother?

Nothing is known here and now, the known is always of past here now. The past is dead. So why bother to keep resurrecting the dead? unless there is a demand for the continuity of knowledge.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:28 pm
But why bother?

Nothing is known here and now, the known is always of past here now. The past is dead. So why bother to keep resurrecting the dead? unless there is a demand for the continuity of knowledge.
Again [to me], this is all hopelessly abstract.

The fact is there are actual flesh and blood human beings [some of them here] who do believe in the existence of an omniscient God.

Their own, for example.

And, in believing this, it impacts what they think and feel and say and do.

And, down through the ages, given human history to date, this has precipitated all manner of human conflict...precipitating, in turn, all manner of gruesome pain and suffering.

So, forums such as this are created in order to discuss this.

I'm merely noting that the discussions that most interest me here revolve around God and religion as they pertain to this:

1] a demonstrable proof of the existence of your God or religious/spiritual path
2] addressing the fact that down through the ages hundreds of Gods and religious/spiritual paths to immortality and salvation were/are championed...but only one of which [if any] can be the true path. So why yours?
3] addressing the profoundly problematic role that dasein plays in any particular individual's belief in Gods and religious/spiritual faiths
4] the questions that revolve around theodicy and your own particular God or religious/spiritual path

Though, sure, if that's not what is of interest to others, they can choose not to discuss an omniscient God with me.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:28 pm
But why bother?

Man's past is important , and records of man's past are justified. The justifications of history are 1. When you know where you have come from you can better predict where you are going and where you intend to go. 2. When you are emotionally attached to your cultural or topographical origin you have that extra moral strength to fight for the life and liberty of people like yourself.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

iambiguous wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:01 pm Let's bring an omniscient God down to Earth. What might the implications be for us given our day-to-day interactions. Especially when those interactions result in conflicts.
Within Christianity the idea that God sees/knows everything was often used as a kind of warning/encouragement related to following moral principles and sin. IOW sure, you can break the law and get away with it. That can happen and if you're very clever, it might even be a good strategy in terms of increasing income. You can commit adultery and if you and the person invovled are clever get away with it.

But in relation to God, no such luck or skill. You will be found out.

So, on the ground, some hoped that being aware of this would lead to people stopping thinking about getting away with X, and thinking that ultimately they will be punished or perhaps even merely shamed, so they avoid doing it. I think this actually does and did happen. This doesn't mean the benefits outweight the problems of the idea, but there's one set of possible results.

And if you add in Jesus' upping the ante to adultery is when you merely think of it, oh, boy, that is setting the bar very high, since God knows what's behind even the best poker face.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:07 am
Man's past is important , and records of man's past are justified. The justifications of history are 1. When you know where you have come from you can better predict where you are going and where you intend to go. 2. When you are emotionally attached to your cultural or topographical origin you have that extra moral strength to fight for the life and liberty of people like yourself.
Not for those who have seen through the illusion for what it actually is. It's like playing the same video game over and over again, it gets tediously repetitive and dull after the novelty has worn off, to the point you want to stop playing the game.

Some people are just so over the illusion they no longer have a desire to play anymore. Other people seem to love the torture of being.

I used to believe the game is worth playing once upon a time, then a calamity hit me out of nowhere, and I became a realist, and threw out all my delusions for good.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:50 am
iambiguous wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:01 pm Let's bring an omniscient God down to Earth. What might the implications be for us given our day-to-day interactions. Especially when those interactions result in conflicts.
Within Christianity the idea that God sees/knows everything was often used as a kind of warning/encouragement related to following moral principles and sin. IOW sure, you can break the law and get away with it. That can happen and if you're very clever, it might even be a good strategy in terms of increasing income. You can commit adultery and if you and the person invovled are clever get away with it.

But in relation to God, no such luck or skill. You will be found out.
Actually, ya take it my from someone that knows God, and its evil side....God does know everything (at least about our reality), and man's "justice" is just_ice.

I see you are still banging on with those 4 points of yours regarding theists explaining their God. Since you are not taking me on within the Metaphysics area where I gave you the opportunity to take me on re my answers to those points, Y?

- because I don't agree that God knows the entire future? (fully omnicscient)

or something else got a bug up your arse?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:33 am

I see you are still banging on with those 4 points of yours regarding theists explaining their God. Since you are not taking me on within the Metaphysics area where I gave you the opportunity to take me on re my answers to those points, Y?

Again, posts of this sort are what I've come to expect over at ILP. But in a forum derived from Philosophy Now magazine?

It must be an "internet" thing, right?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:21 am The Bible teaches that God is all-knowing or omniscient. When we say that God is omniscient it means that He has perfect knowledge of all things.

I guess that means your “free will” was another LIE
There is no conflict between omniscience and free will. The conflict starts when you know what God knows about your decision, for example by asking God, so you decide the opposite.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:42 pm

Again, posts of this sort are what I've come to expect over at ILP. But in a forum derived from Philosophy Now magazine?
Great! So you feel right at home!

iambiguous wrote: It must be an "internet" thing, right?
Dude, nobody should have to tell you that you are in fact on the internet, if you can't figure that out then there is not much hope for you in comprehending philosophy.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:48 pm

No need to rub it in!
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:48 pmDude, nobody should have to tell you that you are in fact on the internet, if you can't figure that out then there is not much hope for you in comprehending philosophy.
I figured you wouldn't get my point of course. 8)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:04 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:48 pm

No need to rub it in!
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:48 pmDude, nobody should have to tell you that you are in fact on the internet, if you can't figure that out then there is not much hope for you in comprehending philosophy.
I figured you wouldn't get my point of course. 8)
Hey, I got something else I need to add in yer compatibilism thread, got get out of bed, have a shower, cup of tea and it SHOULD put your entire quandary to rest. :D
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:36 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:21 am The Bible teaches that God is all-knowing or omniscient. When we say that God is omniscient it means that He has perfect knowledge of all things.

I guess that means your “free will” was another LIE
There is no conflict between omniscience and free will. The conflict starts when you know what God knows about your decision, for example by asking God, so you decide the opposite.
Very good answer.

Omniscience and free will are instantaneous in the moment, like karma. One with the knowing. The only knowing there is.
knowing is a naturally occuring feeling within the awareness that is mindful.

Blah-de blah!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

iambiguous wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:52 pm
Though, sure, if that's not what is of interest to others, they can choose not to discuss an omniscient God with me.
Imagination masturbation is a thing though. An unfortunate event that is the human mind. Some unfortunate events are seen as valuable to the more gullible hopeless hookers, aka life junkies.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:11 am
Belinda wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:07 am
Not for those who have seen through the illusion for what it actually is. It's like playing the same video game over and over again, it gets tediously repetitive and dull after the novelty has worn off, to the point you want to stop playing the game.

Some people are just so over the illusion they no longer have a desire to play anymore. Other people seem to love the torture of being.

I used to believe the game is worth playing once upon a time, then a calamity hit me out of nowhere, and I became a realist, and threw out all my delusions for good.
You don't and never have seemed to be so dispirited that you may as well be dead. As a living being you have no choice but to make decisions about what to do next.
You and I believe in non-dualism. However we are forced to live our lives as if we exist in a relative world where we must face the next minute, the hour, the day, the year----