To Immanuel Can

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

To Immanuel Can

Post by Gary Childress »

So, you say you are a "Christian". You say you believe the Bible. The Bible states that God created the world. My question is, what does it mean for God to be a "creator". did God create the world or did God simply give names to a world full of things that he did not create? Did God simply create the names of both good and evil and apply them to things he did not create or did God create both good and evil things.

You seem to be an expert on God. Perhaps you can then clarify?
Walker

Re: To Immanuel Can

Post by Walker »

Gary, did you go and do something evil, and now you're looking to bargain your way out?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:34 am Gary, did you go and do something evil, and now you're looking to bargain your way out?
Nope. Not the point of my questions at all.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Well it looks like Gary's flip-flopping again. Three weeks ago he was expressing a very healthy, very reasonable skepticism toward religion.

We believe these are regressive periods in Gary's bipolar depression. The hard, cold truths Gary's intellect is capable of grasping are nonetheless unacceptable to his heart. This has always been the case for philosophers and deep thinkers.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:51 am So, you say you are a "Christian". You say you believe the Bible. The Bible states that God created the world. My question is, what does it mean for God to be a "creator". did God create the world or did God simply give names to a world full of things that he did not create? Did God simply create the names of both good and evil and apply them to things he did not create or did God create both good and evil things.

Sorry for the delay, Gary...I didn't see this until now.

So your question is, "What does it mean for God to be a creator?" Um...you should say "the Creator," if you're asking a Christian, of course. We don't have multiple "creators," and so God cannot be said to be "a creator," as if one among many.

Well, you also say, "Did God create the world?" Yes.

And then, "Did God create both good and evil things?..." But there's a problem with that question, too. It supposes that evil is a "thing," like something one creates, rather than the deficiency or loss of a real thing, i.e. "good." But I think you're trying to ask, maybe, whether the world had evil in it when God created it...am I right?

In that case, the answer is found in Genesis 1:31 -- "And God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good."
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:51 am So, you say you are a "Christian". You say you believe the Bible. The Bible states that God created the world. My question is, what does it mean for God to be a "creator". did God create the world or did God simply give names to a world full of things that he did not create? Did God simply create the names of both good and evil and apply them to things he did not create or did God create both good and evil things.

if i may:

God created everything, the only thing not created is God. and in the case of the Lord God in the bible He is Creator and Judge.

God did create or is responsible for good and evil existing, there is scripture to support that but is been a while. thing is, good and evil is based on judging of what is good and evil for. note the Lord God placed the tree of Life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the garden. so it is true God made both.
but its a knowledge. see, the Lord God is Creator and Judge, hence He is the Judge of what is good or evil for His creation and the creatures therein. but in the garden man thought otherwise, to be gods if you will.

as far as names that was mostly Adam's job, except for what God called, such as dry land earth or the firmament heaven six things did God call and they are places for things that live or have consciousness. other than the Lord renaming Abram to Abraham and Jacob to Israel the Lord didn't seem to do much in the way of naming.

Post by Age »

LOL

WHERE, EXACTLY, did you obtain this perception that "immanuel can" is a so-called "expert on God" from?

It is, after all, "Immanuel can" who STILL insists on calling 'God' a "he". So, how much more evidence or proof does one need to REALIZE that "Immanuel can" knows VERY LITTLE in regards to God and what It Truly IS?

Post by Age »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:12 am

Sorry for the delay, Gary...I didn't see this until now.

So your question is, "What does it mean for God to be a creator?" Um...you should say "the Creator," if you're asking a Christian, of course. We don't have multiple "creators," and so God cannot be said to be "a creator," as if one among many.

Well, you also say, "Did God create the world?" Yes.

And then, "Did God create both good and evil things?..." But there's a problem with that question, too. It supposes that evil is a "thing," like something one creates, rather than the deficiency or loss of a real thing, i.e. "good." But I think you're trying to ask, maybe, whether the world had evil in it when God created it...am I right?

In that case, the answer is found in Genesis 1:31 -- "And God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good."
Here we have MORE, IRREFUTABLE, PROOF that "Immanuel can" knows VERY LITTLE in relation to thee ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE Truth of God, and Creation. Itself.
Last edited by Age on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:12 am And then, "Did God create both good and evil things?..." But there's a problem with that question, too. It supposes that evil is a "thing," like something one creates, rather than the deficiency or loss of a real thing, i.e. "good." But I think you're trying to ask, maybe, whether the world had evil in it when God created it...am I right?

Is an Ebola virus cell a good thing? Is the venom gland in a rattlesnake a good thing? Is a cancer cell a good thing?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Or an ebola carrying venomous rattlesnake that has cancer, even.
Walker

Post by Walker »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:54 pm Or an ebola carrying venomous rattlesnake that has cancer, even.
Add a beagle puppy to the mix, restrain that critter to observe its slow death, and Fauci will grant a grant. After all, during the Covid-19 pandemic, the final arbiter in the US was The Fauch, and he's still going strong.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:16 am So, how much more evidence or proof does one need to REALIZE that "Immanuel can" knows VERY LITTLE in regards to God and what It Truly IS?

Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:36 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:34 am Gary, did you go and do something evil, and now you're looking to bargain your way out?
Nope. Not the point of my questions at all.
Good! May humility temper thine agnostic doubt.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:32 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:12 am And then, "Did God create both good and evil things?..." But there's a problem with that question, too. It supposes that evil is a "thing," like something one creates, rather than the deficiency or loss of a real thing, i.e. "good." But I think you're trying to ask, maybe, whether the world had evil in it when God created it...am I right?

Is an Ebola virus cell a good thing? Is the venom gland in a rattlesnake a good thing? Is a cancer cell a good thing?
In relation to what, EXACTLY?

The ebola virus cell is a good thing to the 'ebola virus', the venom gland of a rattlesnake is a 'good thing' to a rattlesnake, and the cancer cell is a 'good thing' to cancer. But do you only LOOK AT the Life and living from the human being perspective only and expect Life, Itself, good and bad SHOULD revolve around 'you', human beings, ONLY?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:54 pm Or an ebola carrying venomous rattlesnake that has cancer, even.
The point I'm trying to make is that perhaps a human being can be good or evil but a cancer cell seems to serve no other purpose than evil. A rattlesnake might not be evil were it not for its venom, but add the venom and it is. Some viruses may be relatively harmless and therefore not necessarily evil, however, a malicious one like Ebola would probably qualify as nothing but evil. And viruses on the whole, thus far, seem to serve no constructive purpose in the world. Humanity would probably be better off without them unless one wants to cull the population the nasty way.