"Philosophy of Religion," is an Oxymoron

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: "Philosophy of Religion," is an Oxymoron

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:21 am So why does bad things happen to good people? ...was that their karma for being good?
Dunno, perhaps we are being rather short of sight regarding the depth of time where reincarnation is concerned.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:33 am
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:21 am So why does bad things happen to good people? ...was that their karma for being good?
Dunno, perhaps we are being rather short of sight regarding the depth of time where reincarnation is concerned.
I do not know what you mean by that atto.

But I have another question for you...does a woman who knowingly gets herself pregnant...is she inviting a human being to come to earth to live out their karma...and does she already know what will happen to her unborn children before she chooses to concieve them into the world ? ..and if she does already know what will happen to them...would she just be able to rip up the invitation to save the child from having to endure some life it did not have to endure?

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:01 am
Just suggesting a past life action might have some karma carry over!

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:01 amBut I have another question for you...does a woman who knowingly gets herself pregnant...is she inviting a human being to come to earth to live out their karma...and does she already know what will happen to her unborn children before she chooses to concieve them into the world ? ..and if she does already know what will happen to them...would she just be able to rip up the invitation to save the child from having to endure some life it did not have to endure?
Err? ..or none of the above..
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:45 am
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:01 am

Just suggesting a past life action might have some karma carry over!

Ok thanks for your viewpoint... :D

For me personally, I do not believe in the idea of reincarnation as being an actual event that can be known...the whole idea to me implies a 'someone' who has died and come back from the dead to live another life....like the Jesus resurrection story that has been encircling the human thought stream for thousands of years.

I cannot buy that story..rather, I am sticking with the unknown. . as it's the only knowing I can be absolutely certain of is that I do not know anything about my conception...I was not there to witness my own conception...so what actual and true ''authority'' do I have to make such a claim as to know I know myself?.... as paradoxically as that may appear to be known.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:31 am Our ideas are formed from the inability to NOT KNOW....
You apparently got your philosophy from Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:44 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:31 am Our ideas are formed from the inability to NOT KNOW....
No I did not.

I got my ideas about ''not-knowing'' from out of my own personal being. I then heard my idea echoed within the ideas of others.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:17 am
RCSaunders wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:44 pm
No I did not.

I got my ideas about ''not-knowing'' from out of my own personal being. I then heard my idea echoed within the ideas of others.
Ha ha! Do you know who Charles Lutwidge Dodgson was? You probably know him as Lewis Carroll. You know, the author of Alice In Wonder Land.

It was only a joke, because your ideas are just as sensible as the those of the characters in those stories.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:40 am
It was only a joke, because your ideas are just as sensible as the those of the characters in those stories.
Well at least we both agree on one thing. :D
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

I have an idea or does an idea have I

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Who said that but the light itself.

Light equals KNOWING...TO SEE.

To see is to know.

Knowing is the only knowing there is...when knowing knows sensation - mind is born ...in this conception. The many of the one.

MOO..the unborn born.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

What does the action of asking WHO AM I ...look like >

It looks like one desires to fill in the blank.

Who am I ?

An Awkward silence fills the empty space.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:40 am Ha ha! Do you know who Charles Lutwidge Dodgson was? You probably know him as Lewis Carroll. You know, the author of Alice In Wonder Land.

The joke is on you. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6qnRS36EgE
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:45 pm If it's religion, it's not philosophy. (It's superstition)
It it's philosophy, it's not religion. (It's reason)

Both are mostly nonsense, however.
RC,

I remember a student proudly expressing the fact he had a master's degree in theology and someone stating that theology was not a proper subject. I tend to agree, what good is a degree in someone else abstract fantasy, in other words, if there is no supernatural realm then a degree has no foundation in reality. Philosophy is wonder in general, while the religious seek only to concretize their mythology so as to be all-knowing.
Walker

Post by Walker »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:03 pm Philosophy is wonder in general, while the religious seek only to concretize their mythology so as to be all-knowing.
When philosophy is only wonder in general, then religion is only worship in general. In general, both are only, inherently human.

Worship gene.

Every separate-self Individual shanghai’s the worship gene. Why do folks do this?

Probably, to shine it upon one’s own awesomeness that one creates, possesses, and maintains.

This would explain why it’s so dang hard to be humble, ‘specially in a bang-your-own-drum culture that also requires correlating the self-deprecation score, with the social-credit score.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Walker wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:04 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:03 pm Philosophy is wonder in general, while the religious seek only to concretize their mythology so as to be all-knowing.
When philosophy is only wonder in general, then religion is only worship in general. In general, both are only, inherently human.

Worship gene.
Every separate-self Individual shanghai’s the worship gene. Why do folks do this?
Probably, to shine it upon one’s own awesomeness that one creates, possesses, and maintains.
This would explain why it’s so dang hard to be humble, ‘specially in a bang-your-own-drum culture that also requires correlating the self-deprecation score, with the social-credit score.
I believe the philosophy of religion is about what constitutes a religion and why we have such a need for such practices, the fact that all meaning is biologically dependent makes any topic also a topic about humanity and the human psyche.