Atheistic reasoning

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jori

Atheistic reasoning

Post by Jori »

1. I cannot prove that Joe ate my donut. Therefore, Joe did not eat my donut. I cannot prove that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

2. This book about Donald trump is confusing and erroneous. Therefore Donald Trump does not exist. the Bible is confusing and erroneous. Therefore God does not exist.

3. Alicia Keys fanatics are liars. Therefore Alicia Keys does not exist. Religious people are liars. Therefore God does not exist.

4. This potato is unnecessary; therefore this potato does not exist. God is unnecessary; therefore God does not exist.

5. Joe's room is a mess; therefore Joe does not exist. The world is a mess; therefore God does not exist.

6. I haven't seen my biological father; therefore he does not exist. Since I haven't seen God, God does not exist.

7. My teacher is not perfect. Therefore my teacher does not exist. God is not perfect; therefore God does not exist.

8. Joe says, "Chairs exist", but Joe is delusional. Therefore chairs do not exist. Religious people are delusional and they believe that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

9. I imagined aliens. Therefore aliens don't exist. I imagined God. Therefore God does not exist,

10. I felt my dog's presence. Feelings are unreliable. Therefore my dog does not exist. I felt God's presence, but feelings are unreliable; therefore God does not exist.
Immanuel Can

Re: Atheistic reasoning

Post by Immanuel Can »

Book Recommendation: "The Atheist Who Didn't Exist," by Andy Bannister.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Jori wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:01 am 1. I cannot prove that Joe ate my donut. Therefore, Joe did not eat my donut. I cannot prove that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

9. I imagined aliens. Therefore aliens don't exist. I imagined God. Therefore God does not exist,

10. I felt my dog's presence. Feelings are unreliable. Therefore my dog does not exist. I felt God's presence, but feelings are unreliable; therefore God does not exist.
You are merely insulting your intelligence with incompetent bad-logic & irrationality.

In 1, you are conflating 'physical' with 'actions' thus a fallacy of equivocation.

Re 9, I can imagine humanlike aliens in a planet 100 light years away from Earth.
The above bolded elements are all empirically possible.
Therefore it is empirically possible that they exist empirically and can their existence can be confirmed when verified and justified with the necessary empirical evidences.

To claim God as real is like claiming a square-circle exists which is a contradiction to start with. As such, God is not empirically possible, so God's existence is an impossibility in reality, note;
God is an Impossibility
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24704

Point is the belief in a God is fundamentally a soteriological issue driven to seek consonance by the inherent terrible psychology of an existential crisis.
Once the consonance is grasped tightly, theists will resort to all sorts of acts [even kill those who threaten it] to secure that consonance.
Because the majority are infected with this, it is taken as fact, like what the majority of the Flat-Earthers did once upon a time.
Can you counter this point?

Post by Age »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:37 am
Jori wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:01 am 1. I cannot prove that Joe ate my donut. Therefore, Joe did not eat my donut. I cannot prove that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

You are merely insulting your intelligence with incompetent bad-logic & irrationality.

In 1, you are conflating 'physical' with 'actions' thus a fallacy of equivocation.

Re 9, I can imagine humanlike aliens in a planet 100 light years away from Earth.
The above bolded elements are all empirically possible.
Therefore it is empirically possible that they exist empirically and can their existence can be confirmed when verified and justified with the necessary empirical evidences.

To claim God as real is like claiming a square-circle exists which is a contradiction to start with.
But claiming God as real is NOT like claiming a 'square-circle' exists AT ALL.

Did you make this up "yourself" to just 'try to' "justify" or "rationalize" your OWN currently held DISTORT BELIEF/S here?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:37 am As such, God is not empirically possible, so God's existence is an impossibility in reality,
ONCE AGAIN, this is just your OWN currently held BELIEF. Which, by the way, is STOPPING and PREVENTING 'you' from SEEING what thee ACTUAL Truth is here.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:37 am note;
God is an Impossibility
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24704
ALSO NOTE; that is NOT a sound AND valid argument.

And that 'you' have ALREADY been INFORMED OF the reasons WHY.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:37 am Point is the belief in a God is fundamentally a soteriological issue driven to seek consonance by the inherent terrible psychology of an existential crisis.
Once the consonance is grasped tightly, theists will resort to all sorts of acts [even kill those who threaten it] to secure that consonance.
Because the majority are infected with this, it is taken as fact, like what the majority of the Flat-Earthers did once upon a time.
Can you counter this point?
Yes, VERY EASILY and VERY SIMPLY.

And, I WILL use words and terms you should be able to FULLY UNDERSTAND.

'you' are IGNORANT of Facts.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

2. This book about Donald trump is confusing and erroneous. Therefore Donald Trump does not exist. the Bible is confusing and erroneous. Therefore God does not exist.

3. Alicia Keys fanatics are liars. Therefore Alicia Keys does not exist. Religious people are liars. Therefore God does not exist.

4. This potato is unnecessary; therefore this potato does not exist. God is unnecessary; therefore God does not exist.

5. Joe's room is a mess; therefore Joe does not exist. The world is a mess; therefore God does not exist.

6. I haven't seen my biological father; therefore he does not exist. Since I haven't seen God, God does not exist.

7. My teacher is not perfect. Therefore my teacher does not exist. God is not perfect; therefore God does not exist.

8. Joe says, "Chairs exist", but Joe is delusional. Therefore chairs do not exist. Religious people are delusional and they believe that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

i don't know, it doesn't seem to be that at all. many are taught what they believe to be true usually by those they believe and trust and likely love. and if you grow up in a environment were it seems everyone believes the same, then how can that be wrong or incorrect?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Poor analogy, since you have not even furnished proof that there is such a thing as Jow or that a doughnut was involved.

Gibberish

All of your statements have no merit.

Here is a cariature of you:

1. I like the idea that unicorns exist therefore regardless of proof or reason I worship unicorns and all the things they insist I do.
2. an infinitem of similarly stupid analogies....
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Jori wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:01 am ...3. Alicia Keys fanatics are liars. Therefore Alicia Keys does not exist...
Alicia has nothing on locks and pianos...

then again, eating spaghetti with a tuning fork takes a certain proficiency...

-Imp
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Some of that may be true of some who claim to be atheists (an ideology much like all other religions). It is not true of those who do not believe in any kind of supernaturalism or mysticism, because they are no more atheists then they are a-tooth-fairists and do not count what they don't believe as an ideology. The thousands of gods people have chosen to believe in are just some of the wrong things people believe and those who don't couldn't care less what the mass of gullible idiots in the world will swallow and believe.

Believe in atrology, spiritualism, Ala, or any other supernatural nonsens you like. Who cares, so long as you do not use your belief as an excuse to intrude in anyone else's life.

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:26 am

Some of that may be true of some who claim to be atheists (an ideology much like all other religions). It is not true of those who do not believe in any kind of supernaturalism or mysticism, because they are no more atheists then they are a-tooth-fairists and do not count what they don't believe as an ideology. The thousands of gods people have chosen to believe in are just some of the wrong things people believe and those who don't couldn't care less what the mass of gullible idiots in the world will swallow and believe.

Believe in atrology, spiritualism, Ala, or any other supernatural nonsens you like.
What does the word 'supernatural' even mean or refer to, to you?
RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:26 am Who cares, so long as you do not use your belief as an excuse to intrude in anyone else's life.
Does this apply to those with the belief that God does not exist also? Or, only for those with the belief God does exist?
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Atheist ignore the mysteries in life and accept the theory that everything is explainable if we just wait a few years (centuries?).
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

jayjacobus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:25 pm Atheist ignore the mysteries in life and accept the theory that everything is explainable if we just wait a few years (centuries?).
I don't think so. It's the religious who think they have all the answers in their simple faith that their deity or religion explains everything. The non-religious know there is no one single explanation (a God, for example) for everything and that no matter how much they have discovered and learned there is always more to learn then they have already learned.

My favorite description of faith:
Faith is an agreement with oneself to never learn anything new.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:06 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:25 pm Atheist ignore the mysteries in life and accept the theory that everything is explainable if we just wait a few years (centuries?).
I don't think so. It's the religious who think they have all the answers in their simple faith that their deity or religion explains everything. The non-religious know there is no one single explanation (a God, for example) for everything and that no matter how much they have discovered and learned there is always more to learn then they have already learned.

Faith is a person's orientation to life, other people and the world.

As a person has experiences and learns new things, his orientation can change.

You can say that it is fixed but that is only your own orientation that is so.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

jayjacobus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 pm Faith is a person's orientation to life, other people and the world..
Well, you are free to make up any definition you like for any word you like, but your description of faith is not what any other religious person I know means by faith and it is not how it is defined in any dictionary. Most people's, "orientation to life," (whatever that means) is not the same as, "faith," at all, no matter how ignorant and gullible they are.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

jayjacobus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:06 pm

Faith is a person's orientation to life, other people and the world.

As a person has experiences and learns new things, his orientation can change.

You can say that it is fixed but that is only your own orientation that is so.
It might well be. But such an orientation always ends up with people getting lost.
And faith impedes change and new experience, since it already has all the answers.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Faith is a complete denial of mystery, since it is a set of ready made answers,