Atheistic reasoning

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jayjacobus

Re: Atheistic reasoning

Post by jayjacobus »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:23 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:48 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:20 pm
I have no idea what you mean by, "atheist," but I don't think you know much about those who just don't don't drink the theist Cool Aid. What do you care what you call atheists think, anyway?
I don't care what you drink. And you should think whatever you want. Is anyone stopping you?
You would if you could, I believe, but it doesn't really matter. I was just curious about why what others believe seems to matter to you. You don't have to be ashamed of it. I readily admit, I'm always interested in what others believe, no matter how much I disagree with it. It's frequently quite entertaining, as in your case, for example.
I have an interest in psychology. I am not ashamed of it.

Entertain yourself for now.

Bye
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:53 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:47 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:44 pm

"Faith, derived from Latin fides and Old French feid,[1] is confidence or trust."

Trust whatever your mind wants.
Gosh
Pity that is not related to anything you have yet said.
Mark Twain had the best definition;" believing in a thing you know aint so".
Faith is the death is reason.

Trust whatever your mind wants.

So are you going to try to defend this ridiculous position?
I want 50 cream cakes to have zero calories, so I trust that they are calorie free.
Yummy!!
That is illogical but do what you want.
Faith is illogial, yes.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:28 pm I have an interest in psychology.
That explains a lot. Psychology is a pseudo-science as nonsensical as any religion but a lot more dangerous.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Jori wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:01 am 1. I cannot prove that Joe ate my donut. Therefore, Joe did not eat my donut. I cannot prove that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

2. This book about Donald trump is confusing and erroneous. Therefore Donald Trump does not exist. the Bible is confusing and erroneous. Therefore God does not exist.

3. Alicia Keys fanatics are liars. Therefore Alicia Keys does not exist. Religious people are liars. Therefore God does not exist.

4. This potato is unnecessary; therefore this potato does not exist. God is unnecessary; therefore God does not exist.

5. Joe's room is a mess; therefore Joe does not exist. The world is a mess; therefore God does not exist.

6. I haven't seen my biological father; therefore he does not exist. Since I haven't seen God, God does not exist.

7. My teacher is not perfect. Therefore my teacher does not exist. God is not perfect; therefore God does not exist.

8. Joe says, "Chairs exist", but Joe is delusional. Therefore chairs do not exist. Religious people are delusional and they believe that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

9. I imagined aliens. Therefore aliens don't exist. I imagined God. Therefore God does not exist,

10. I felt my dog's presence. Feelings are unreliable. Therefore my dog does not exist. I felt God's presence, but feelings are unreliable; therefore God does not exist.
Some things are not provable but what exists on this thread are theist and atheists. What exists on this thread are posts that are illogical and insults that are inappropriate. I think for myself. The people who want to think for me are morons and nasty morons at that.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Atheistic reasoning, where one does not embrace something as truth without evidence or maintain belief despite evidence to the contrary.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

One inconvenient fact for theologists is the fact that so many different species of intelligent animal exist. Let me explain. It would be much easier to believe that there was something special about man, some divine feature he had, if he were the only intelligent animal on the planet. Say there were no insects, amphibians, reptiles, birds, or other mammals. Just man and microbes. If this were so, the origin theory of man, for one thing, would be that much more mysterious. You'd have no theory of evolution to consider here. You'd also have a fundamentally unique natural 'thing' that was so different from all the other natural things, you couldn't begin to explain how and why it exists. Even counting the biological similarities between humans, plants and microbes (cellular structure, nervous and metabolic systems, etc.), the REST is so bizarrely different in complexity type that you simply couldn't account for it in evolutionary terms.

But because there ARE so many different species of animal roaming the planet, the specialness of man in that sense is lost. It's now much easier to believe that man is just a product of evolution... especially when a species like the apes, that are so much like man, are on the same planet.

If only man was the only vertebrate on the planet. It would make it soooo much easier for theologists.

Now if you kept the theory of evolution but made it religious - the new age christianities that accept and incorporate evolution - you'd start wondering why 'god' allowed evolution to create so many millions of species when really only man is the important one. Seems a bit excessive for services rendered.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:22 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 pm Faith is a person's orientation to life, other people and the world..
Well, you are free to make up any definition you like for any word you like, but your description of faith is not what any other religious person I know means by faith and it is not how it is defined in any dictionary. Most people's, "orientation to life," (whatever that means) is not the same as, "faith," at all, no matter how ignorant and gullible they are.
Oeintation means a person's basic attitude, beliefs and leanings. Everybody has those.

Faith is trusting, committing, and relating to the world based on a set of assumptions of how one is related to others and the world (orientation)

It can act like blinders that prevent someone from understanding opposing views.