Atheistic reasoning

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jayjacobus

Re: Atheistic reasoning

Post by jayjacobus »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:22 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 pm Faith is a person's orientation to life, other people and the world..
Well, you are free to make up any definition you like for any word you like, but your description of faith is not what any other religious person I know means by faith and it is not how it is defined in any dictionary. Most people's, "orientation to life," (whatever that means) is not the same as, "faith," at all, no matter how ignorant and gullible they are.
The people who defined faith as belief made that up.

I used the correct meaning of faith. It is how a person relates to life.

"James W. Fowler (1940–2015) proposes a series of stages of faith-development (or spiritual development) across the human life-span. His stages relate closely to the work of Piaget, Erikson, and Kohlberg regarding aspects of psychological development in children and adults. Fowler defines faith as an activity of trusting, committing, and relating to the world based on a set of assumptions of how one is related to others and the world."
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

jayjacobus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:42 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 pm Faith is a person's orientation to life, other people and the world..
Well, you are free to make up any definition you like for any word you like, but your description of faith is not what any other religious person I know means by faith and it is not how it is defined in any dictionary. Most people's, "orientation to life," (whatever that means) is not the same as, "faith," at all, no matter how ignorant and gullible they are.

"James W. Fowler (1940–2015) proposes a series of stages of faith-development (or spiritual development) across the human life-span. His stages relate closely to the work of Piaget, Erikson, and Kohlberg regarding aspects of psychological development in children and adults. Fowler defines faith as an activity of trusting, committing, and relating to the world based on a set of assumptions of how one is related to others and the world."
You don't have to use language in a way others will understand, of course, but you will never be understood, even when you want to be. I'm not trying to convince you. I don't care how you choose to try to communicate, just pointing out, if you use arcane private meanings for your words others are not going to know what the hell your talking about.

So, according to your absurd definition, when someone says they have faith in something, what they are saying is, "I am having a relation to life," in that?

Stupid.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

jayjacobus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:42 pm....... correct meaning of faith........
Risible
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:07 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:42 pm....... correct meaning of faith........
Risible
All your posts are.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:52 pm
Risible
All your posts are.
When you clearly have not the slightest idea about the definition of faith, you cannot expect to be taken seriously.
Denying basic facts is not way to contribute to an argument.

If you want to offer a defence of "faith" then do so! But no one is going to take you seriously if you are going to pretend is is something that is is not.
Having faith in your definition make you look as stupid as one would expect of a person who thinks faith is a good idea. :lol:
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:58 pm

You don't have to use language in a way others will understand, of course, but you will never be understood, even when you want to be. I'm not trying to convince you. I don't care how you choose to try to communicate, just pointing out, if you use arcane private meanings for your words others are not going to know what the hell your talking about.

So, according to your absurd definition, when someone says they have faith in something, what they are saying is, "I am having a relation to life," in that?

Stupid.
Faith does not mean "having a relation to life."
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:57 pm

Risible
All your posts are.
When you clearly have not the slightest idea about the definition of faith, you cannot expect to be taken seriously.

If you want to offer a defence of "faith" then do so! But no one is going to take you seriously if you are going to pretend is is something that is is not.
Having faith in your definition make you look as stupid as one would expect of a person who thinks faith is a good idea. :lol:
Faith is a person's perspective. Maybe you don't have a perspective but most atheists do,
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:03 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:58 pm

Stupid.
Faith does not mean "having a relation to life."
Which is it?

You said:
Unless you mangled your English, that says, "the correct meaning of faith is how a person relates to life." Can a person relate to life without having a relation to life? Your are in idiot.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:24 pm

All your posts are.

Faith is a person's perspective. Maybe you don't have a perspective but most atheists do,
No faith is not a persons perspective in any meaningful sense.
Everyone has a perpective, atheists and non atheists, and it is not defined by faith.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:24 pm Faith is a person's perspective. Maybe you don't have a perspective but most atheists do,
I have no idea what you mean by, "atheist," but I don't think you know much about those who just don't don't drink the theist Cool Aid. What do you care what you call atheists think, anyway?
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:19 pm

Everyone has a perpective, atheists and non atheists, and it is not defined by faith.
"Faith, derived from Latin fides and Old French feid,[1] is confidence or trust."

Trust whatever your mind wants.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:44 pm

"Faith, derived from Latin fides and Old French feid,[1] is confidence or trust."

Gosh
Pity that is not related to anything you have yet said.
Mark Twain had the best definition;" believing in a thing you know aint so".
Faith is the death is reason.

So are you going to try to defend this ridiculous position?
I want 50 cream cakes to have zero calories, so I trust that they are calorie free.
Yummy!!
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:20 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:24 pm Faith is a person's perspective. Maybe you don't have a perspective but most atheists do,
I have no idea what you mean by, "atheist," but I don't think you know much about those who just don't don't drink the theist Cool Aid. What do you care what you call atheists think, anyway?
I don't care what you drink. And you should think whatever you want. Is anyone stopping you?
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:47 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:44 pm

Gosh
Pity that is not related to anything you have yet said.
Mark Twain had the best definition;" believing in a thing you know aint so".
Faith is the death is reason.

So are you going to try to defend this ridiculous position?
I want 50 cream cakes to have zero calories, so I trust that they are calorie free.
Yummy!!
That is illogical but do what you want.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:48 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:20 pm
I don't care what you drink. And you should think whatever you want. Is anyone stopping you?
You would if you could, I believe, but it doesn't really matter. I was just curious about why what others believe seems to matter to you. You don't have to be ashamed of it. I readily admit, I'm always interested in what others believe, no matter how much I disagree with it. It's frequently quite entertaining, as in your case, for example.