Limitation of God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jori

Limitation of God

Post by Jori »

In a way, God is limited and not all-powerful because of:
1, Free will. If free will exists and God decides not to mess up with it, then God is limited.
2. Laws of nature, If God decides not to mess up with the uniformity of nature, then God is limited.
Jori

Atheistic reasoning

Post by Jori »

1. I cannot prove that Joe ate my donut. Therefore, Joe did not eat my donut. I cannot prove that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

2. This book about Donald trump is confusing and erroneous. Therefore Donald Trump does not exist. the Bible is confusing and erroneous. Therefore God does not exist.

3. Alicia Keys fanatics are liars. Therefore Alicia Keys does not exist. Religious people are liars. Therefore God does not exist.

4. This potato is unnecessary; therefore this potato does not exist. God is unnecessary; therefore God does not exist.

5. Joe's room is a mess; therefore Joe does not exist. The world is a mess; therefore God does not exist.

6. I haven't seen my biological father; therefore he does not exist. Since I haven't seen God, God does not exist.

7. My teacher is not perfect. Therefore my teacher does not exist. God is not perfect; therefore God does not exist.

8. Joe says, "Chairs exist", but Joe is delusional. Therefore chairs do not exist. Religious people are delusional and they believe that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

9. I imagined aliens. Therefore aliens don't exist. I imagined God. Therefore God does not exist,

10. I felt my dog's presence. Feelings are unreliable. Therefore my dog does not exist. I felt God's presence, but feelings are unreliable; therefore God does not exist.

Re: Limitation of God

Post by Age »

Jori wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:39 am In a way, God is limited and not all-powerful because of:
1, Free will. If free will exists and God decides not to mess up with it, then God is limited.
2. Laws of nature, If God decides not to mess up with the uniformity of nature, then God is limited.
But why does having the ability to DECIDE, and just CHOOSING not to do some 'thing', then MEAN that that one with the DECISION ABILITY is 'limited' in some way, EXACTLY?

Re: Atheistic reasoning

Post by Age »

Jori wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:55 am 1. I cannot prove that Joe ate my donut. Therefore, Joe did not eat my donut. I cannot prove that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

2. This book about Donald trump is confusing and erroneous. Therefore Donald Trump does not exist. the Bible is confusing and erroneous. Therefore God does not exist.

3. Alicia Keys fanatics are liars. Therefore Alicia Keys does not exist. Religious people are liars. Therefore God does not exist.

4. This potato is unnecessary; therefore this potato does not exist. God is unnecessary; therefore God does not exist.

5. Joe's room is a mess; therefore Joe does not exist. The world is a mess; therefore God does not exist.

6. I haven't seen my biological father; therefore he does not exist. Since I haven't seen God, God does not exist.

7. My teacher is not perfect. Therefore my teacher does not exist. God is not perfect; therefore God does not exist.

8. Joe says, "Chairs exist", but Joe is delusional. Therefore chairs do not exist. Religious people are delusional and they believe that God exists. Therefore God does not exist.

9. I imagined aliens. Therefore aliens don't exist. I imagined God. Therefore God does not exist,

10. I felt my dog's presence. Feelings are unreliable. Therefore my dog does not exist. I felt God's presence, but feelings are unreliable; therefore God does not exist.
If this is "atheistic reasoning", to you, then what is "theistic reasoning"?
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Jori wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:39 am In a way, God is limited and not all-powerful because of:
God supersedes freewill and when it comes to choices men have God has already chosen what men can choose from.

and laws of nature who said there was such a thing did not Jesus heal without using medicine did not the Lord God wipe out all flesh but a few.

maybe what you're seeing here is once God gives His Word, He keeps it. though it may seem a limitation to not do contrary to His Word. but it is God who sees that it is fulfilled according to His satisfaction. for example, God sends His Word made flesh Jesus Christ into the world to save and restore the faithful to Himself, and that is to God's satisfaction. the unfaithful? oh well.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:23 pm God supersedes freewill and when it comes to choices men have God has already chosen what men can choose from.
I thought the TULIP Calvanists were extinct. Are you one?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

There is a difference between a limit and a self-limit.

If God could mess with free will but decides not to - it's a self-limiti.
If God could change the laws of nature, but decides not to - it's a self-limit.

Forget God. There are very many things I could do, yet I choose to limit myself from doing them.

Is a self-limit a true limit; or is it just a choice?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

If I may (again), the word 'choosing' is a description of a kind of behavior. We hear and see a guy say 'i'm going to the store, instead.' okay but that behavior is not a cause of itself. It is an effect. And while the behavior will become a physical cause that interacts with the world in which a series of effects will follow, it did not have its genesis in some spontaneous and causally independent event called a 'choice'.

Not looking for an argument here, ladies. Just tryna help you. Tryna get that little bulb above your noggin to go 'pop'.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:27 pm
DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:23 pm God supersedes freewill and when it comes to choices men have God has already chosen what men can choose from.
people who believe in freewill when it comes to the God of Israel always go there when their ideas of choice are challenged. but the reality is no matter what you choose, its chosen for you to choose, and the result of your choses is always death. the universe and what is in it and what it is made of, the place you are in it, and what you're made of and what is within your reach wasn't your choice, no matter how far you can reach. therefore its chosen for you to be able to reach. and that works whether or not you believe in a Creator and Judge or not.

and in the context of the Israelites, they were chosen no one in the bible for example chose God. Noah was chosen, Abraham was chosen, the children of Israel (Jacob) were chosen. God always chooses who He has a relationship with, otherwise the rest are left to their own devices of which have been the ways of flesh (animals) before man was. and that was also chosen for man to have with out the Lord God of Israel.

as a freewiller you could say God says in scripture to choose something like life or Jesus Christ but that is the instructions from God of His choice for you.
Last edited by DPMartin on Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

DPMartin wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:51 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:27 pm
people who believe in freewill when it comes to the God of Israel always go there when their ideas of choice are challenged.
I wouldn't know. There is no, "God of Israel," that I know of, and I do not believe in that absurd theological notion of, "free will." All that has nothing to do with my question. When I studied theology and read the Institutes (Calvin) I was impressed by the logical consistency of the arguments (which can actually be easily refuted), and it's historical influence is obvious. I just hadn't seen those views pressed recently and just wondered if you subscribed to them.
DPMartin wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:51 pm ... but the reality is no matter what you choose it chosen for you to choose and the result of your chose is always death. the universe and what is in it and what it is made of and the place you are in it, and what you're made of and what is within your reach wasn't your choice, no matter how far you can reach. therefore its chosen for you to be able to reach. and that works whether or not you believe in a Creator and Judge or not.

and in the context of the Israelites, they were chosen no one in the bible for example chose God. Noah was chosen, Abraham was chosen, the children of Israel (Jacob) were chosen. God always chooses who He has a relationship with, otherwise the rest are left to their own devices of which have been the ways of flesh (animals) before man was. and that was also chosen for man to have with out the Lord God of Israel.

as a freewiller you could say God says in scripture to choose something like life or Jesus Christ but that is the instructions from God of His choice for you.
Sorry you felt compelled to sermonize, especially since you've not provided a single original thought that was not much better articulated by both Calvin and Augustine.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:45 pm
Sorry you felt compelled to sermonize, especially since you've not provided a single original thought that was not much better articulated by both Calvin and Augustine.
If one desires know and understand the experiences with the God of Israel, then it would seem one would get familiar with the documentation there of. If one desires to know the thoughts of men like Calvin or Augustine, then one would study that. By your statements you seem familiar with the thoughts of Calvin or Augustine, sorry, don’t remember much of what others post of them.
bahman

Post by bahman »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:23 pm
God supersedes freewill and when it comes to choices men have God has already chosen what men can choose from.
That is not true.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

bahman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:08 pm
That is not true.
correction God supersedes freewill and when it comes to choices men have what God has already chosen what men can choose from

but it is true, even if you don't believe there is a Creator and Judge, what is within your reach is chosen for you to be able to reach, no matter how far you can reach.
bahman

Post by bahman »

DPMartin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:25 pm
That is not true.
correction God supersedes freewill and when it comes to choices men have what God has already chosen what men can choose from

but it is true, even if you don't believe there is a Creator and Judge, what is within your reach is chosen for you to be able to reach, no matter how far you can reach.
Choices are real. It is only a matter of facing a situation. Of course, one can also put you in a situation with choices. But not all choices are chosen for you.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

bahman wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:30 am
DPMartin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:25 pm
That is not true.

Choices are real. It is only a matter of facing a situation. Of course, one can also put you in a situation with choices. But not all choices are chosen for you.
what you can choose is chosen for you, whether you believe there is a Creator and Judge or not. you can only choose what is within your reach.