An afterlife and forgetfulness

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: An afterlife and forgetfulness

Post by Dontaskme »

seeds wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:08 am
And you have the gall to fancy yourself as being adept at psychology. What a joke.
_______

The real joke here is when someone is trying to sell ice to an eskimo.

This really is not for sale. But whatever gets you through the unknown, each to their own bag of BS.

No offense.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

seeds wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:08 am
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:12 am
seeds wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:18 pm
Ouch!!!...

...That sure is a devastating retort there, Cubby....I'll just wander off into a corner and lick my wounds.
_______
Get a life. It's too bad the world is not the way you'd like it to be, "where never is heard a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day." Life is tough and not everyone is going to blow kisses at you. Man up!
Cubby, do you actually think I was being serious in the post you are responding to? I couldn't care less about what you think of my "cartoons."

And you have the gall to fancy yourself as being adept at psychology. What a joke.
_______
It was your response. I didn't write it.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:20 am
Belinda wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:11 am RCSaunders wrote:
I'm sorry, I have no interest in you Micky-Mouse cartoons.
Why are you sorry? Are you sorry you maybe hurt someone's feelings? If the latter you'd do better to not remark on the cartoons.
It's just an expression. Nothing you say can hurt anyone else. If someone has a negative emotional reaction to something someone else says, it's their own interpretation and evaluation of what is said--their, "hurt," is their own makiing.

I do not care about my own feelings and regard them all as deceptive. Why would I care about anyone else's irrational feelings? I get no joy out of anyone else's pain, but I have no sympathy for those who cause their own suffering.

The cartoons are stupid. How is it a virtue to not point out absurdity?

Why do all you bleeding hearts hate the truth so much?
I have heard that excuse for bad use of English: "It's just an expression".

It's a thoroughly bad expression that disrespects genuine remorse. It's up to you to choose good helpful expressions instead of following bad examples.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Dubious wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:06 am
RCSaunders wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:51 pm
seeds wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:40 pm
First of all, let me address a major problem in your reply.

The fact that in one post you say the following...

...and in the very next post say this,...

...shows me that you have no problem making contradictory statements in the course of a debate.

I mean, did you think that I wouldn't notice that in one breath you insist that one is NOT "conscious" enough in a dream to "control" it, and then in the very next breath you say that you are almost always "aware" (conscious) of your dreams, and can thus "manipulate" (control) them?

Sheesh! :roll:

Anyway, with that out of the way, let's get to the heart of your concerns...

I'm not denying that our inner (again, mind-based) sensing structures need to be "primed," so to speak, with samplings (memories) of what we call "reality" in order to have something to work with as we use those samplings in the willful construction of our thoughts and dreams.

Indeed, I have created several illustrations that attempt to demonstrate that our thoughts and dreams are simply un-ordered, low-resolution replications of the extremely ordered, high-resolution reality of the universe, both of which are created from a similar (informationally-based/holographic-like) substance.

(Note: don't worry about trying to read the small and blurry text; just look at what the drawings are suggesting)...

ImageImage

Furthermore, I am also not denying that we receive the abovementioned "priming" through the five sensory "windows" of our body that allow our "central consciousness" access to the outer reality of the universe.

(And by "central consciousness" I am talking about that "I" you keep referencing when you stated: "...("I") am a lucid dreamer. ("I") am almost always aware that ("I") am dreaming, and can actually manipulate some dreams...")

However, do you actually believe that if scientists could somehow create a device that could hook up to the unconscious, inanimate material structures of the human brain, tongue, and nasal cavity, for example,

...that it (the device) could experience the unique qualia of the taste and smell of an apple or banana?

Or do you concede that it would require the presence of the mind...

(the presence of the "central consciousness"/the "I")

...of the former owner of the brain, tongue, and nasal cavity to sense and experience such qualia?

Now it is needless to say that you (the consummate hardcore materialist) are simply going to insist that all of this is delusional hogwash.

Nevertheless, that will not deter me from suggesting that the physical body, in and of itself, is incapable of sensing anything, and merely functions as a sort of multi-faceted "interface" that connects the inner-dimension of a human mind to the outer-dimension of what I am clearly implying is a higher mind, as is depicted in yet another of my over-used illustrations...

_______
I'm sorry, I have no interest in you Micky-Mouse cartoons.
Actually I always liked those Micky-Mouse cartoons as you called them. They're quite original! But then, I'm not sophisticated enough - nor anyone else here, I imagine, compared to someone who manages to read 200 books a year. :lol:
It's no great feat to read 100 books a year. That's only two books a week--about 4 to 6 hours, and it's a complete pleasure, unlike other tasks. The 200 is a rough sum of both my and my wife's reading. She actually reads more books than I do. I'm always surprised when anyone regards the figure unusual, it's like being surprised someone baths regularly, or generally prepares and eats three meals a day, which takes a lot more time and effort than reading a couple of books. Why wouldn't you read more? What would you recommend one do with their time to improve themselves?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Belinda wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:43 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:11 am RCSaunders wrote:

Why are you sorry? Are you sorry you maybe hurt someone's feelings? If the latter you'd do better to not remark on the cartoons.
It's just an expression. Nothing you say can hurt anyone else. If someone has a negative emotional reaction to something someone else says, it's their own interpretation and evaluation of what is said--their, "hurt," is their own makiing.

I do not care about my own feelings and regard them all as deceptive. Why would I care about anyone else's irrational feelings? I get no joy out of anyone else's pain, but I have no sympathy for those who cause their own suffering.

It's a thoroughly bad expression that disrespects genuine remorse. It's up to you to choose good helpful expressions instead of following bad examples.
Well it's nice to know you're there to make sure everyone only ever says nice things that will never upset the poor little idiots or suffer remorse because they regret the lives they lived and lies they've believed.

You'll forgive me if I choose not to take orders from you. I have no problems dealing with rational individuals. I have no interest in dealing with the irrationally emotional and fearful. No one can deal with them.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:21 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:43 pm

Well it's nice to know you're there to make sure everyone only ever says nice things that will never upset the poor little idiots or suffer remorse because they regret the lives they lived and lies they've believed.

You'll forgive me if I choose not to take orders from you. I have no problems dealing with rational individuals. I have no interest in dealing with the irrationally emotional and fearful. No one can deal with them.
Huffiness and careless language don't advance your arguments. If I thought you were an idiot I'd not even reply to you.

Remorse is good.Learning does not take place in a feeling vacuum.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:15 pm
DPMartin wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:40 pm ... if He remembers you its really irrelevant what one remembers or not, also since He can restore Life to you then surly He can restore to you what He remembers of you.
As my Grandmother said, "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride." There is no evidence that what follows your, "if," is anything more than wishful thinking by someone who has failed in the only life they'll ever have, and thinks they'll do better in the next one. Good luck with that!
so tell us, how does one fail in life? and that would be life according to who? you?
Atla

Post by Atla »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:20 am I do not care about my own feelings and regard them all as deceptive.
so much for your role model status :)
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Belinda wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:02 pm Huffiness and careless language don't advance your arguments. If I thought you were an idiot I'd not even reply to you.
I'm not making an argument, love. I'm telling you what my position is. I really don't care whether you or anyone else agrees with or likes it, because truth is not determined by one's emotional reactions which are usually in conflict with reason.
Belinda wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:02 pm Remorse is good.
I can see why you'd think so, but I'd hope you had little reason to experience it. It's best to live in a way that results in no regrets. Always do what you know is right (not, "feel," is right), and if you don't know it's right, it's wrong. That's how to live without regrets. Ignorance is never an excuse.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

DPMartin wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:24 pm
DPMartin wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:40 pm ... if He remembers you its really irrelevant what one remembers or not, also since He can restore Life to you then surly He can restore to you what He remembers of you.
As my Grandmother said, "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride." There is no evidence that what follows your, "if," is anything more than wishful thinking by someone who has failed in the only life they'll ever have, and thinks they'll do better in the next one. Good luck with that!
so tell us, how does one fail in life? and that would be life according to who? you?
If one is not totally satisfied with their present life, if it is not without regret or disappointment and they do not know they have lived the best life they possibly could, and especially if they want another life they think will be better, they have failed in the only life they will ever have.

Only the individual whose life it is can evaluate that life as success or failure. Every individual is different and what will be success for one may very will be failure for another. Though they are cliches, they are true: "one man's trash is another man's treasure," and, "one man's poison is another man's meat." It's one reason all ideologies are wrong. There is no one way to live that is right for all human beings.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Atla wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:48 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:20 am I do not care about my own feelings and regard them all as deceptive.
Good! The last thing I want to be is anyone else's role model. No one can succeed in lfe by trying to copy how someone else lives.

As I just wrote to DPMartin:
Every individual is different and what will be success for one may very will be failure for another. Though they are cliches, they are true: "one man's trash is another man's treasure," and, "one man's poison is another man's meat." It's one reason all ideologies are wrong. There is no one way to live that is right for all human beings.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:23 pm
If one is not totally satisfied with their present life, if it is not without regret or disappointment and they do not know they have lived the best life they possibly could, and especially if they want another life they think will be better, they have failed in the only life they will ever have.

Only the individual whose life it is can evaluate that life as success or failure. Every individual is different and what will be success for one may very will be failure for another. Though they are cliches, they are true: "one man's trash is another man's treasure," and, "one man's poison is another man's meat." It's one reason all ideologies are wrong. There is no one way to live that is right for all human beings.
sure there is, its called faithful to what you have agreed to or (set of morals). contracts marriage business society laws, giving your word, so on and so forth, that is the correct way to live. and those agreements are not with one's self, its with others.
Atla

Post by Atla »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:31 pm
Atla wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:48 pm
Good! The last thing I want to be is anyone else's role model. No one can succeed in lfe by trying to copy how someone else lives.

As I just wrote to DPMartin:
Every individual is different and what will be success for one may very will be failure for another. Though they are cliches, they are true: "one man's trash is another man's treasure," and, "one man's poison is another man's meat." It's one reason all ideologies are wrong. There is no one way to live that is right for all human beings.
And then there are those who would say that all words are empty when all feelings are disregarded. Wouldn't categorize that as "living" to begin with.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:10 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:02 pm Huffiness and careless language don't advance your arguments. If I thought you were an idiot I'd not even reply to you.
I'm not making an argument, love. I'm telling you what my position is. I really don't care whether you or anyone else agrees with or likes it, because truth is not determined by one's emotional reactions which are usually in conflict with reason.
Belinda wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:02 pm Remorse is good.
I can see why you'd think so, but I'd hope you had little reason to experience it. It's best to live in a way that results in no regrets. Always do what you know is right (not, "feel," is right), and if you don't know it's right, it's wrong. That's how to live without regrets. Ignorance is never an excuse.
Emotions are necessary to maintenance of life. Unthinking reactions to emotions are bad, and emotions that have been subjected to reason are good.

Feelings should be recognised and if possible used as guides to future behaviour. There need be no conflict between feelings and reason. Emotional reactions are not the same as emotions that have been subjected to reasoned reflection.

Ignorance is not an excuse for competent adults who should own their actions, but ignorance(and cowardice) are common causes of bad choices.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

DPMartin wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:05 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:23 pm

sure there is, its called faithful to what you have agreed to or (set of morals). contracts marriage business society laws, giving your word, so on and so forth, that is the correct way to live. and those agreements are not with one's self, its with others.
So for you, morality is some kind of social ideology, and one's own life is of no particular purpose or value sans society? The name of that view is collectivism and it is used to justify any oppression of individuals for the, "good of society," or any, "others," who are in a position to decide what is good for them.

I deal with others all the time to our mutual benefit without ever being a threat of any harm to each other without requiring some agency of force dictating (with laws) how any individual chooses to live their life--and they all choose differently because everyone is different.

In your view, what should be done with those who do not agree?