Theism is an Addiction?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Theism is an Addiction?

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:04 pm It does not make me feel good when God\'God' puts me through 3 month stints in hell, for crossing a certain line that sage\God stipulated. Feb last year, it lasted this time for almost the entire year. I had been warned many times prior, "Last bet" and I foolishly returned to eat from the tree.
If I cross that line again...I will die.
So, it's all about you and God: A self-absorbed, self-serving, self-glorifying journey in which you keep 'crossing the line' and this god keeps sticking around to scold and punish you because you are just that special! What do you imagine will happen after you die? What will God do for you then?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:36 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:04 pm It does not make me feel good when God\'God' puts me through 3 month stints in hell, for crossing a certain line that sage\God stipulated. Feb last year, it lasted this time for almost the entire year. I had been warned many times prior, "Last bet" and I foolishly returned to eat from the tree.
So, it's all about you and God: A self-absorbed, self-serving, self-glorifying journey in which you keep 'crossing the line' and this god keeps sticking around to scold and punish you because you are just that special! What do you imagine will happen after you die? What will God do for you then?
FFS Lacewing, get things into context...this is what Veritas is stating:-
"In this case of theism and addiction, the continual secretion of dopamine is from believing irrationally in something illusory is to soothe the cognitive dissonance arising from an existential crisis.

DO YOU REALLY THINK I FEEL MY EXPERIENCE OF GOD IS SOOOOTHING!!?

Why is it, every time I talk about my experience of this entity, you have to condescend to me? Can't you just allow me to speak of my own personal experience without condemning me?

Something tells me you are afraid of something - what, had an abortion did you?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:18 pm
Where did I suggest that? Sounds like you actually torture yourself with it. But some people like things like that.
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:18 pm Why is it, every time I talk about my experience of this entity, you have to condescend to me? Can't you just allow me to speak of my own personal experience without condemning me?
I'm asking why you have a relationship like this -- and what your logic is? Do you not do this on this forum???
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

AGAIN - NOTE THE CONTEXT AS TO WHY I STATED MY EXPERIENCE WHICH IS IN DIRECT CONTRAST TO WHAT VERITAS' ENTIRE THREAD IS ABOUT
Lacewing wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:29 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:18 pm
FFS Lacewing, get things into context...this is what Veritas is stating:-
"In this case of theism and addiction, the continual secretion of dopamine is from believing irrationally in something illusory is to soothe the cognitive dissonance arising from an existential crisis.

Where did I suggest that?
Again, FFS - you didn't suggest that! My statement is in relation to the IMPERATIVE point that you insist on omitting which I have reincluded. This thread is about the above statement in bold from Veritas - that theists have their belief in God, because it is SOOTHING...that is not my experience, hence is in direct contradiction to the argument being made in this ridiculous thread.

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:29 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:18 pm Why is it, every time I talk about my experience of this entity, you have to condescend to me? Can't you just allow me to speak of my own personal experience without condemning me?
I'm asking why you have a relationship like this -- and what your logic is? Do you not do this on this forum???
What? Do I have a direct relationship with a panentheistic God that you don't believe exists? = YES.
Why? - I don't know, but my sage wants to buy me a beer!! Looking forward to meeting him, and the others.

Jesus, the amount of effort I had to put in here to get things back into context and re-explain to you WHY I made that statement, you are hard work.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:04 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:34 am

In the same way that dopamine reinforces the behaviour of being short-sighted in relation to things such as theism, focusing on the most ridiculous aspects of such an ideology with the positive feeling that you are right, as an atheist.
It does not make me feel good to be an atheist.
It does not make me feel good when God\'God' puts me through 3 month stints in hell, for crossing a certain line that sage\God stipulated. Feb last year, it lasted this time for almost the entire year. I had been warned many times prior, "Last bet" and I foolishly returned to eat from the tree.

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 amI rarely have to think about that at all. What makes me laugh is reading the posts of theists.
Ergo you are supporting my statement -the effect of dopamine works both ways, theist or atheist or the good feeling from sex etc etc.. (hence this is yet another ridiculous thread from a thread spamming borderline militant atheist that lacks the nous to present a reasonable argument)
No I am not supporting anything you say here.
God did not do that to you. You are just a victim of your own delusion.
Get a life.
I get my dopamine from sunshine, not a belief system
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:44 pm ...
I saw the context, Atto. It made no difference to the challenge/question I was posing to you. Try to change channels without freaking out.

You have spoken many times about this god that punishes you for the stuff you keep doing -- and a sage who tells you what is right -- and it all seems like a very self-indulgent trip/story, ya know? What is this story that you're writing and why? Do you NOT think you're writing it? If you have access/ability regarding all of the mystical notions and truths that you imagine having (which you've shared on this forum), why wouldn't you consider your role and access/ability as being the author of your story?

What/who are these entities that punish and reward? Are they you -- if not, what might be the payoff for imagining them as something other than yourself?

I'm asking you sincere philosophical questions. If someone refers to a 'big story' they believe in, including characters other than themselves, I want to ask where all of that comes from and how does such a person rationalize it? Is there any logic? Is it all just a mystery to be believed? What if you are the one behind the curtain? If you are, maybe you could cut the chains and stop being controlled by your own puppets and stories. Then you might discover how much more could be capable beyond all of it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:31 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:04 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 am

It does not make me feel good to be an atheist.
It does not make me feel good when God\'God' puts me through 3 month stints in hell, for crossing a certain line that sage\God stipulated. Feb last year, it lasted this time for almost the entire year. I had been warned many times prior, "Last bet" and I foolishly returned to eat from the tree.

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 amI rarely have to think about that at all. What makes me laugh is reading the posts of theists.
Ergo you are supporting my statement -the effect of dopamine works both ways, theist or atheist or the good feeling from sex etc etc.. (hence this is yet another ridiculous thread from a thread spamming borderline militant atheist that lacks the nous to present a reasonable argument)
No I am not supporting anything you say here.
Well you are deluded about the effect that dopamine gives you when, as you state, you get a laugh (pleasure) reading the posts of theists.

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:31 pmGod did not do that to you. You are just a victim of your own delusion.
Sure, what are you doing about your delusion that reality is precisely as you experience it - 'normal' - 4 dimensions permitting qualia input to your consciousness. Certainly yer not gonna have any belief in a bloke going to his death insisting to know God is via him...not going to respect that fella, just another myth from the buy_bull - LET THERE BE LIGHT!! The SUN of God? ...will you ever be worth.Y?

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:31 pmGet a life.
I've got a fucking great life mate. Working on art, website, writing, Adelaide Uni, house is paid off, car is paid off, got shit loads of liquid assets, stocks...er, got the beach down the road..er, got a fantastic dog that gets a walk daily, currently doing up a van ready for exhibitions, I love cooking, got 3 VR headsets, a high-end PC for Unreal Engine VR development, shit this list can go on and on.

Got a sage that I haven't heard from much lately, but apparently it's in the pipeline - he lives in California. I've got a house on a beach East coast of India with servants that I can stay in, whenever and for however long - a cousin of mine from UK owns it...

I tell you what CW - I have never been happier!!

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:31 pmI get my dopamine from sunshine, not a belief system
Oh, the sunshine in the UK - naaaw, especially atm. Poor you, all dopamined out then. There's LOADS of sunshine here, you should come over and visit me, you might learn a thing or two - shit - I might even learn something from you, of course it would be in a book somewhere - and therein lies a BIG difference.

I don't have a belief system, I have gnosis, knowledge of this panentheistic entity. There's far more to learn, and certainly when you have gnosis, it makes contemplation of reality FAR more complex than an atheist or theist position. Yep, smacks in the face of Occams Razor.
I have some theories based on my experiences, I am still going the depths to fathom more out. Nothing more to learn from the tree of know_ledge, certainly don't want to fall off the edge this time - nothing will save me now...they - the sage/God have called me a fool, a sap many times - the last term they labelled me recently, a sage. :D

And since as they indicated to me there are less than 1000 sages on the planet, I intend to stay on the path they have insisted I remain.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:02 pm There's LOADS of sunshine here, you should come over and visit me, you might learn a thing or
I would rather be poked in the eye with a blunt stick.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:48 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:02 pm There's LOADS of sunshine here, you should come over and visit me, you might learn a thing or
I can accommodate next time I go down under, there's a lovely forest called the New Forest where, from memory there are plenty of blunt sticks. I shall then travel to London after looking up your name within care homes, stick in hand. Just let me know when I arrive whether you'd prefer a different spot to stick my stick.
:mrgreen:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm
I can accommodate next time I go down under, there's a lovely forest called the New Forest where, from memory there are plenty of blunt sticks. I shall then travel to London after looking up your name within care homes, stick in hand. Just let me know when I arrive whether you'd prefer a different spot to stick my stick.
I know all about the New Forsest, and have spent many happy times their camping and cavourting.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:39 pm

I know all about the New Forsest, and have spent many happy times their camping and cavourting.
Did you ever pick crab apples? (some call them horse apples) - my parents would make crab apple jelly - lovely on toast for breakfast. The country side in UK is something I miss dearly. The birds sing, over here most of them squawk - although the Kookaburras and the Magpies make a lovely sound.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:46 pm

Did you ever pick crab apples? (some call them horse apples) - my parents would make crab apple jelly - lovely on toast for breakfast. The country side in UK is something I miss dearly. The birds sing, over here most of them squawk - although the Kookaburras and the Magpies make a lovely sound.
NOpe. But I have made blackberry wine from blackberies picked from the hedgerow behind my house, and this year wild plum jam.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:22 pm

NOpe. But I have made blackberry wine from blackberies picked from the hedgerow behind my house, and this year wild plum jam.
Sounds very nice. Over here blackberry bushes in the wild are poised as an invasive species - such a shame. My Gramps would pull the car over on the way back from Romsey where there was a long hedgerow of blackberries and we would pick bags full, then Nan would make blackberry jam - you can't beat homemade jam! How was the wine, did it have a distinctive blackberry taste? Have you ever had crab apple jelly?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:34 pm

Sounds very nice. Over here blackberry bushes in the wild are poised as an invasive species - such a shame. My Gramps would pull the car over on the way back from Romsey where there was a long hedgerow of blackberries and we would pick bags full, then Nan would make blackberry jam - you can't beat homemade jam! How was the wine, did it have a distinctive blackberry taste? Have you ever had crab apple jelly?
I would rate Blackberry wine above some of the greatest grape wines in the world. Full body plenty of tanins. Beautiful colour.
Yes I've had crab apple jelly too. THe great thing about apples is the high level of pectin which is setting agent.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:39 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:34 pm

I would rate Blackberry wine above some of the greatest grape wines in the world. Full body plenty of tanins. Beautiful colour.
Very interesting, I wonder if blackberry wine is commercially available, wouldn't mind try it.
A friends dad back in England used to make wine from all sorts of things, I remember trying his wine made from carrots, I was about 12 and my dad would occasionally give me a glass of (normal grape wine) at dinner time, and I remember thinking, this doesn't taste far off from the 'normal' wine - but ya at that age, what would I know!

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:39 pmYes I've had crab apple jelly too. THe great thing about apples is the high level of pectin which is setting agent.
Sounds good, (I wasn't aware of the pectin component) you might be able to convince me to give the stick to your dog rather than previous considerations, should you have a bottle of your blackberry wine on offer :D

btw. Have you ever travelled to the top side of the planet? - such as Australia?