Agnostic Again

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Agnostic Again

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:26 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:59 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:28 pm Agnostic Again
What do you mean "Agnostic Again" - EVERYONE is agnostic, unless they know for certain that God exists or for certain that God does not exist.

So right now I assume you are agnostic atheist.
I'm saying I don't know for certain if God exists. As far as I can tell God would have to be a pretty big asshole god to preside over this world.
He doesn't "preside" over it, God can affect the state of play of our world, but doesn't. Does that still make it an 'asshole'? Precisely what has currently make you chalk God up as a pretty big asshole?

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:26 amIf God doesn't exist then that would explain a LOT. But I don't know either way. Part of me wants to believe there's a God but the other part says it can't be true. Not in a world like this.
"A world like this"

So.

You and yer brain are perceiving a world right now, and you are not happy with it (your perception) and so that makes God a giant asshole. Care to extrapolate?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:53 am I mean just look at the irony. You survive open heart surgery and you thank god more than the surgeon. Your favorite team wins and you thank god instead of the atheletes. The building you live in doesn't collapse during an earthquake and you thank god instead of the brilliant architects that designed a quake-proof building.

But it gets even more ridiculous.

When shit goes wrong, you give god no credit whatsoever, and instead blame someone else (or yourself).
I think this post above pretty much nails it. Couldn't agree more. Most organized religions seem like bunk to me. Screw God. He created a fucked up world, that is if God even exists.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:52 am Care to extrapolate?
No. I'm tired of people blaming me for my problems or telling me I should be "grateful" for what I have. I'm miserable. Life is a shit show. And it's no one's fault but God's. I'm not happy. If you're happy, then good for you. If you're not happy then no idea why you would disagree that God is an asshole.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:56 am
No. I'm tired of people blaming me for my problems or telling me I should be "grateful" for what I have. I'm miserable. Life is a shit show. And it's no one's fault but God's. I'm not happy. If you're happy, then good for you. If you're not happy then no idea why you would disagree that God is an asshole.
Your're clearly a sad, self absorbed git (and that is coming from me, someone that the wrath of God drove to suicide)

Unless you have gnosis - and KNOW God is the cause of your dilemma, then you can only blame yourself or society etc
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:22 am
Your're clearly a sad, self absorbed git (and that is coming from me, someone that the wrath of God drove to suicide)

Unless you have gnosis - and KNOW God is the cause of your dilemma, then you can only blame yourself or society etc
Why are you defending God? Why are you insulting me? What did I do to you? NO. I was mad at God, not you. So fuck off with your victim blaming.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:22 am

Why are you defending God?
Because it suffered more than you and me (and EVERYONE) by a very large margin. And, ya, I'm happy I got through the TESTs.

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 amWhy are you insulting me?
Are you sad? Are you not on the internet telling everyone how unhappy you are?

I'm just stating what seems to be obvious, if you find that insulting, then don't sob all over the internet.

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 amWhat did I do to you?
Drove me to attempt to Ys U up a bit (even whilst I am cooking a lovely dinner)

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 amNO. I was mad at God, not you.
What the fuck has God got to do with your problems? You already stated you don't know if God exists...what a stupid thing to do, it's like me blaming a postman in Namibia for all my problems.

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 amSo fuck off with your victim blaming.
That's the spirit! ...btw, whose the victim?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:48 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 amWhy are you insulting me?
Are you sad? Are you not on the internet telling everyone how unhappy you are?

I'm just stating what seems to be obvious, if you find that insulting, then don't sob all over the internet.
I'll sob where I want. "Git" is clearly an insult. It means: "an unpleasant or contemptible person." How am I contemptible? If you have contempt for me then you are insulting me. Do you always attack people who are miserable? Is it some kind of sport to blame us for the way the world is?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

It's amazing how hating on God will make some people angry. Should I be hating on human beings instead? You tell me.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

God is the god of privilege. People pray to God to defeat their enemies and God obliges them by siding with them instead of bringing about peace.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:34 am
So in other words, God is an asshole god who harms people simply because they don't kiss his ass? Why would God harm someone who was obeying human laws, didn't hurt other human beings, rather the only thing he did was hate on God for the fucked up world he created. That's an asshole god, IC. If you want to worship an asshole god who is responsible for immense human misery and suffering, then that's up to you. Don't expect the rest of us to kiss his butt.
The way I personally see life is through awareness only...which to me, is just another word for being conscious of sensation.

That consciousness that is aware of sensation has an on and off switch. When the heart is beating, awareness is on. When the heart stops beating permanently is when the awareness is switched off. This switching off can be proven through the use of anesthetics. So we know that mental awareness is not a permanent event. Pain and suffering and misery is not a permanent event to be endured forever without ever having a break. So it is that knowledge that gets me through life, the knowing that awareness of sensation is only a temporal event. That knowledge brings comfort to me when pain is present and it's really bad, knowing it will eventually pass.

The eternal life that is heaven that the religious believers believe and push for - I have absolutely no idea what that idea could even mean, so I do not subscribe to that notion at all. All I know as a living sentient being is that awareness can be either off or on, and that's what helps me get through life when it's on, knowing that it will not be on forever, and that to me is a relief.. I also believe that there is no creator, there is only nothing ( the off switch ) being everything ( the on switch ) alternating between the two switches forever without beginning nor ending...life cannot possibly know how it got off it's own starting block as any one who questions that question has no answer simply because any one who has been born to life is born into a life that already exists, so they have no idea how life got off it's own starting block, people can only make up conceptual stories about ''creators'' But they cannot know absolutely for certain what a creator is... The awareness that is temporal life forms come and go, they switch on and off, they have absolutely no control over when that switch is going to switch from one to the other.

Also, no one alive today has ever been alive before, think about that? so no one really knows anything about their life, except what they imagine about it...aka the stories they make up about themselves, stories that have no known source other than imagination which no one knows about. Life is a total mystery even to itself. Would I choose to be born knowing that to be born is to feel sensation...the answer would be NO, not a chance, but many would choose, so it's all personal preference. Each to their own.

Sorry for the long rant...
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:48 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:35 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:30 am
Yes, I could. But let me see if I can make the point to you in a more amusing form, if I may.

https://babylonbee.com/news/god-ever-do ... athing-air
I don't know. Pretty lame "amusement" if you ask me. Are you actually thankful that you don't implode into a fiery ball upon waking up in the morning? I mean, I would call a "blessing" something that actually satisfied a person or made us happy.
But what do I know? I'm just a crazy schizophrenic.
You seem awfully normal for a schizophrenic. I would have thought perhaps bi-polar if anything.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:44 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:35 am

I don't know. Pretty lame "amusement" if you ask me. Are you actually thankful that you don't implode into a fiery ball upon waking up in the morning? I mean, I would call a "blessing" something that actually satisfied a person or made us happy.
You seem awfully normal for a schizophrenic. I would have thought perhaps bi-polar if anything.
I have had delusional episodes from time to time. My diagnosis generally has changed with the doctor. I've been called schizoaffective by some and bipolar by others. I have a combination of a mood-related disorder and psychoses. So there is some disagreement among my doctors.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:52 am

I have had delusional episodes from time to time.
How do you know they are delusional?

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:52 amMy diagnosis generally has changed with the doctor. I've been called schizoaffective by some and bipolar by others. I have a combination of a mood-related disorder and psychoses. So there is some disagreement among my doctors.
Bipolar's a c~nt. Schizo is a God send.

ps. This thread should have been in the Philp. Counselling area.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:57 am

Because once I was stabilized on meds I would realize that my beliefs were completely unfounded and off the wall. But I don't know. Maybe I'm delusional now and those beliefs were right. I hope not, though. I usually get paranoid and extremely terrified by my beliefs when I'm (seemingly) delusional.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:58 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:57 am

Because once I was stabilized on meds I would realize that my beliefs were completely unfounded and off the wall. But I don't know. Maybe I'm delusional now and those beliefs were right. I hope not, though. I usually get paranoid and extremely terrified by my beliefs when I'm (seemingly) delusional.
Care to share?