Agnostic Again

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Agnostic Again

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:52 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:39 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:35 am

Pot is not legal where I live. CBC oil (or whatever) is but it's expensive. And I stay away from illegal drugs just because I thought that would get me somewhere in life if I didn't. They always say avoid illegal drugs, so I did. I can't say I've gotten much of a social life from abstaining from drugs but at least I do good on job interviews when I tell them any background check or urine test should come back squeaky clean.
It's long been known how beneficial 'magic mushrooms' are to mental health. Strange how antidepressants are handed out like lollies, yet they are responsible for a huge number of suicides, especially in the young who shouldn't be given them anyway.

Don't try to collect your own though. It takes a real expert to identify them.
I don't know. I've heard it said that drugs can induce or exacerbate mental health issues such as delusions or mania and things of that nature.
I was just watching a documentary about it on BBC earth. It was very interesting. But of course, you have to be very careful with any mind altering drug (including legal ones).

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56745139

It's not the same documentary I saw but similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGN2l-X ... ealStories
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:26 am After all I've said and done to insult God, I just feel hopeless now.
That's appropriate. But helplessness is a good state to be in, when help is at hand.

"It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners..." (1 Tim. 1:15)

Now you know why you (and I) need forgiveness. If Christ had come to save people who could save themselves, what was the need of His coming? But He himself said,

"I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance." (Luke 15:7)

So there is the hope you need.
I was in love with a woman and got frustrated because she didn't love me and ended up driving her away from me by ridiculing her...
I'm sorry about that. We all do things sometimes that we realize afterward were not what we ought to have done.

But here's the thing: we don't get people drawn to us by figuring out how to draw them in. Instead, we draw people to ourselves by becoming the kind of people ourselves who people are drawn to. Who we are determines our relationships, not just to pretty girls but to the universe. And it's the only thing over which you and I, ultimately, have any power.

What we need to do is work on what WE are, not what they are. Over what they decide to do, we have no ultimate control. But over what we become, we do have a say. And the first thing we need is to stop being a selfish person (because by nature, we all are that), and learn to become the kind of person who gives, promotes and spreads love. To do that, we have to experience what it means to be loved by God. That frees us from the need to dominate the other person, do demand that she satisfy our longings, and that we have control over what goes on. It is that greedy, selfish side of us that drives good people away from us; for as we find people do not do what we want them to do, we can become spiteful, bitter and cruel...just the kind of person who does, and who ought to, drive them away.

We need a new start. We need God's forgiveness and God's help. We need the freedom to love and be loved in an unpossessive, undemanding, unselfish way.

Become the person that girl SHOULD be attracted to. That's the secret. And you may even find, if you become a different kind of person, that she can even forgive you.

But even if not, God can.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:02 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:26 am After all I've said and done to insult God, I just feel hopeless now.
That's appropriate. But helplessness is a good state to be in, when help is at hand.

"It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners..." (1 Tim. 1:15)

Now you know why you (and I) need forgiveness. If Christ had come to save people who could save themselves, what was the need of His coming? But He himself said,

"I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance." (Luke 15:7)

So there is the hope you need.
I was in love with a woman and got frustrated because she didn't love me and ended up driving her away from me by ridiculing her...
I'm sorry about that. We all do things sometimes that we realize afterward were not what we ought to have done.

But here's the thing: we don't get people drawn to us by figuring out how to draw them in. Instead, we draw people to ourselves by becoming the kind of people ourselves who people are drawn to. Who we are determines our relationships, not just to pretty girls but to the universe. And it's the only thing over which you and I, ultimately, have any power.

What we need to do is work on what WE are, not what they are. Over what they decide to do, we have no ultimate control. But over what we become, we do have a say. And the first thing we need is to stop being a selfish person (because by nature, we all are that), and learn to become the kind of person who gives, promotes and spreads love. To do that, we have to experience what it means to be loved by God. That frees us from the need to dominate the other person, do demand that she satisfy our longings, and that we have control over what goes on. It is that greedy, selfish side of us that drives good people away from us; for as we find people do not do what we want them to do, we can become spiteful, bitter and cruel...just the kind of person who does, and who ought to, drive them away.

We need a new start. We need God's forgiveness and God's help. We need the freedom to love and be loved in an unpossessive, undemanding, unselfish way.

Become the person that girl SHOULD be attracted to. That's the secret. And you may even find, if you become a different kind of person, that she can even forgive you.

But even if not, God can.
Thanks, IC. That does help. Sometimes I just need some good encouragement.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:49 am Thanks, IC. That does help. Sometimes I just need some good encouragement.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again now, Gary...you're a good-hearted fella.

But the best of us isn't very good, and sure isn't what he needs to be, if he doesn't have the love of God in his life.

That makes all the difference. When we know God loves us, and that He has forgiven us for what we are, there is no reason not to start loving others, and forgiving them for what they may have done to us, and asking their forgiveness for what we may have done to them.

It changes the dynamic of how we are addressing the world, and how we fit into it. And I suspect that's exactly what needs to happen if there's ever to be healing in this relationship you're talking about. There needs to be forgiveness...you forgiving her for not doing what you wanted her to do, and she forgiving you for hurting her in return.

But only the forgiven can easily forgive.

So get forgiven, Gary...then become the man God intended you to be. You'll find people like that very well.
attofishpi

Re: Aspastic Again

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:30 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:26 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 am
I'm going to give you the kindest advice I possibly can.

Be careful, Gary: we all answer for what we say. Don't say anything you wouldn't want to answer for when you see God.

Now, did you have a polite and appropriate question? If you do, I'll respond.
After all I've said and done to insult God, I just feel hopeless now. I feel like I deserve nothing but a shit sandwich. It's just frustrating. I was in love with a woman and got frustrated because she didn't love me and ended up driving her away from me by ridiculing her. Now I'm taking it out on God because I really wanted to be with her badly for the most superficial reasons I guess. She is absolutely a stunning woman and I have an enormous weakness for beautiful women, though I've never had any kind of real relationship with a woman before. I just feel so frustrated. I feel like a loser. Maybe I am.
Stop whining. I'm so sick of hearing about this bloody woman you are supposedly 'in love with'. Grow up. You should be pleased that weed is legal over there. Get stoned. Or, better still, get hold of some magic mushrooms. Apparently they cure depression, but as usual the hypocritical religioturd wowsers (i.e. their employers the pharmaceutical companies) spoil things for the rest of the population.
You're awesome Veg, I wish I was young enough for you to be my Grandma!! Or hairy enough to be the wookie you've always wanted!!

Gary listen to Veg, trust me, get off your tits on everything drugwise that is ILLEGAL - don't go near any of that LEGAL shite! (accept copious amounts of alcohol if people are giving it to you and except alcohol cos it's legal and it's good - look how miserable the muslims are)\
...shit, I haven't slept for almost 48hrs and a bloke with one missing leg just drove past my gate and my dog went balistic and he just got back from the bottlo with 8 beers - I SHALL BE SANE SOOOOOOOOOOooooooooon.) we can only hope.