Are homosexual natures created by nurture, nature, or God?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: Are homosexual natures created by nurture, nature, or God?

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:43 pm Just because there are autonomic causes, does not mean that they are completely separate from volition, motivation or personal choice.
In fact without all these autonomic processes there were would no life at all. It is simply not possible to separate these things out.
[/color]
I am not arguing that there is no volition. I was responding to
All so-called, "attractions," are entirely psychological resulting in physical responses to what one thinks and believes. No one is born with any specific physiological desire for anything.
Do you agree with him? that no one is born with any physiological desire for anything?

I don't think scientific research supports this and I supplied some things that babies have been shown to be attracted to.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Greatest I am wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:58 pm Are homosexual natures created by nurture, nature, or God?

I think the answer is is quite important as it would show us the cause/source of homosexuality.

If God, as believers think, then why is God creating gays?

Regards
DL
Are piano players created by nurture, nature, or God?

...and what the hell difference does it make?

How does how someone came to do what they do matter. Only what they actually do matters.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:06 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:43 pm Just because there are autonomic causes, does not mean that they are completely separate from volition, motivation or personal choice.
In fact without all these autonomic processes there were would no life at all. It is simply not possible to separate these things out.
[/color]
All so-called, "attractions," are entirely psychological resulting in physical responses to what one thinks and believes. No one is born with any specific physiological desire for anything.
Do you agree with him? that no one is born with any physiological desire for anything?

I don't think scientific research supports this and I supplied some things that babies have been shown to be attracted to.
The poster proposes the "psychological" is distinct from somatic realities. This is false. It is well know that you can alter psychological responses with matter; low blood sugar, LSD, alcohol ad infinitem.
And it is also known that psychological states can change physical states; hormone production, pulse rate, tremours, ad infinitem.
This means that what we like to think of as psychological is based on a physical reality.
The poster is making a most grave and sundemental error of dualism. It is puzzling that such a huge error can be made so many centuties after Descartes made the same error.

Attractions are by no means "entirely" psychological because no psychological state can be divorsed from the physical and material reality which produces it.

Amazingly we are all born with fundemental desires for many things; food, drink, comfort, shelter, warmth, else the human race and its progenitors since time immemorial would never have survived.
Amongst these desires is the desire to hook up with another person for sexual congress. It might be seen as not very "selective" to be attracted to the same sex, but that does not make it unnatural and perfectly ordinary.
IN fact with a little imagination one can imaging how bonding with the same sex can indeed be very selective in an evolutionary sense. Ask any Greek warrior, or when two male lions join to take a pride from a single male lion. Women bonding over children to exchew males. All have their advantages in their own way.
Nature offers a range of strategies, and the successful species is able to work with what they have.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:09 pm Amazingly we are all born with fundemental desires for many things; food, drink, comfort, shelter, warmth, else the human race and its progenitors since time immemorial would never have survived.
Amongst these desires is the desire to hook up with another person for sexual congress. It might be seen as not very "selective" to be attracted to the same sex, but that does not make it unnatural and perfectly ordinary.
IN fact with a little imagination one can imaging how bonding with the same sex can indeed be very selective in an evolutionary sense. Ask any Greek warrior, or when two male lions join to take a pride from a single male lion. Women bonding over children to exchew males. All have their advantages in their own way.
Nature offers a range of strategies, and the successful species is able to work with what they have.
I agree.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:00 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:58 pm Are homosexual natures created by nurture, nature, or God?

I think the answer is is quite important as it would show us the cause/source of homosexuality.

If God, as believers think, then why is God creating gays?

Regards
DL
Are piano players created by nurture, nature, or God?

...and what the hell difference does it make?

How does how someone came to do what they do matter. Only what they actually do matters.
That can be said of us all.

Most of us are not being murdered by right wing loonies in the name of some genocidal homophobic and misogynous God.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:09 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:06 pm
[/color]

The poster proposes the "psychological" is distinct from somatic realities. This is false. It is well know that you can alter psychological responses with matter; low blood sugar, LSD, alcohol ad infinitem.
And it is also known that psychological states can change physical states; hormone production, pulse rate, tremours, ad infinitem.
This means that what we like to think of as psychological is based on a physical reality.
The poster is making a most grave and sundemental error of dualism. It is puzzling that such a huge error can be made so many centuties after Descartes made the same error.

Attractions are by no means "entirely" psychological because no psychological state can be divorsed from the physical and material reality which produces it.

Amazingly we are all born with fundemental desires for many things; food, drink, comfort, shelter, warmth, else the human race and its progenitors since time immemorial would never have survived.
Sex begins in the mind, and it is a throw of the dice as to where any mind will end seeking it, when chemistry is what decides in the end.

Regards
DL