Evolution

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Evolution

Post by Belinda »

What concerns me about Immanuel Can's sort of Christianity is that his ideas give all varieties of theism , especially Christianity, a bad name. For this reason it is good to be able to argue against his bad interpretations (if only for the sake of my own conscience).

IC also has a lot of knowledge of Scripture which is enjoyable and stimulating when it's introduced into a discussion. Maybe I am damning his contributions with faint praise.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:35 amIC also has a lot of knowledge of Scripture which is enjoyable and stimulating when it's introduced into a discussion. Maybe I am damning his contributions with faint praise.
Ah well, if it's scripture you enjoy, I can thoroughly recommend Dan Barker's 'God: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction' https://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Most-Unple ... 1454918322
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

uwot wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:44 am
Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:35 amIC also has a lot of knowledge of Scripture which is enjoyable and stimulating when it's introduced into a discussion. Maybe I am damning his contributions with faint praise.
Ah well, if it's scripture you enjoy, I can thoroughly recommend Dan Barker's 'God: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction' https://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Most-Unple ... 1454918322
The Bible is not all about God although the history of God is the main theme. As for later developments in the history of God, which of course are not included in The Bible, some of these may be viewed online on the Sea of Faith network.
Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:05 am
The Bible is not all about God although the history of God is the main theme. As for the latest developments in the history of God, which of course are not included in The Bible, some of these may be viewed online on the Sea of Faith network.
All knowledge is recited story telling. Anyone can recite knowledge and take credit for being knowledgable, I mean who in the hell are you without your story, the narrative you tell yourself, that little silent voice inside your own brain. :lol:

Please do not credit me. I not a beggar in my own kingdom.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:23 am
uwot wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:44 am Ah well, if it's scripture you enjoy, I can thoroughly recommend Dan Barker's 'God: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction' https://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Most-Unple ... 1454918322
The Bible is not all about God although the history of God is the main theme. As for the latest developments in the history of God, which of course are not included in The Bible, some of these may be viewed online on the Sea of Faith network.
All knowledge is recited story telling. Anyone can recite knowledge and take credit for being knowledgable, I mean who in the hell are you without your story, the narrative you tell yourself, that little silent voice inside your own brain. :lol:

Some stories are better stories.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:23 am
uwot wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:44 am Ah well, if it's scripture you enjoy, I can thoroughly recommend Dan Barker's 'God: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction' https://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Most-Unple ... 1454918322

I believe there is a bit of the human psyche that is not the persona that tells stories.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:33 am I believe there is a bit of the human psyche that is not the persona that tells stories.
If only I knew what the heck that is supposed to mean. But you know, we sometime like to make all kinds of weird sounding shit up.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:38 pm
Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:33 am I believe there is a bit of the human psyche that is not the persona that tells stories.
If only I knew what the heck that is supposed to mean. But you know, we sometime like to make all kinds of weird sounding shit up.
Maybe, such as an author needs to take on a different persona to write about a character (that is completely different to their own - persona)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I certainly know the 'unpleasant' side of this character - understatement of the millenia.

Just out of interest uwot - was much said about 'Christ'? If so, I'd imagine it was about discounting any validation to his existence?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:38 pm
Maybe, such as an author needs to take on a different persona to write about a character (that is completely different to their own - persona)
But, but what does that even mean?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:43 pm
I'm not sure how to rephrase it. Let's say you work as a hair-dresser and have done so since high school and you have never experienced what it is like to be an assassin!! But you have a great idea to write a story about an assassin - ergo - you then need to attempt to get in to this PERSONA of this assassin's head and think as he/she does..
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:47 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:43 pm
I'm not sure how to rephrase it. Let's say you work as a hair-dresser and have done so since high school and you have never experienced what it is like to be an assassin!! But you have a great idea to write a story about an assassin - ergo - you then need to attempt to get in to this PERSONA of this assassin's head and think as he/she does..
Sounds like just another made up story to me.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:30 am Some stories are better stories.
What you mean as opposed to those shit stories.

Kind of like some farts smell better than other farts.

Is the story about Jordan Peterson alias IC loves the smell of his own farts?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

stevie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:16 am ...conventional logic may be useful at times as is the case with mathematics. Every convention (like the types of logic known and mathematics) has evolved because of being able to serve a purpose given a particular period in evolution. So "convention" and "artifact of evolution" may be used interchangably.
But stevie, maths isn't "conventional."

You can tell that very simply by the fact that it works universally, and works in exactly the same way in all places and at all times. Maths isn't "evolving" at all; nor does a society's failure to grasp a mathematical principle mean that mathematical principle is negotiable. In all places, at all times, it takes a minimum of a 30 meter bridge to cover a 30 meter ravine. There's no playing fast-and-loose with that fact, and it won't be changing tomorrow, or in a billion years.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Scott Mayers wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:31 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 am
Funny -- I didn't have you begged as one of the folks who would lose perspective and go on a purge. But I guess the argument cuts deep here. If it's too much for you, I'm content to let it go. My point has never been to be unkind to you, and the only issue I have is with the monkey-to-man theory, which, as you already know, is a proven fraud. So I guess we'll see if your appeal for censure goes anywhere...

I suspect not.
Example of the abuse is underlined.
Hmmm...well, Scott, that's not an example of abuse: it's an example of something you said earlier.

You already admitted, a few posts back, that science now opts for the Common Ancestor Theory, and that you now do too. Well, you can't possibly do that without abandoning the ape-to-man theory...because they're two different and contradictory theories. One says humans evolved from apes, and the other says they had a common ancestor, and in the best versions of that theory, that "ancestor" had to be long before any apes, probably back in the primordial ooze. Meanwhile, you say you have already read about the Piltdown Fraud and the Nebraska Fraud and the Java Fraud...how many frauds do you need to see before you realize that the whole theory was a fraud?

So you MUST know that, if, indeed, you understand the Common Ancestor Theory. Logically, there's no other way it can be. That's not slander, it's logic.

Now, Scott, you need to discern the difference between somebody challenging what you may believe versus somebody insulting you. Just as ad hominem comments are not arguments, so too denying somebody's opinions has nothing at all to do with denying his value as a person or his right to choose his beliefs. The two are completely different matters.

I have no insults to direct at you.

Now, it doesn't really matter whether or not you choose to believe the ape-to-man theory is dead; it is, whatever you wish to believe. So you are perfectly free to continue to believe in it, if that's what you're bound and determined to do. It may be verifiably wrong, and contrary to all historical facts, and even, as in this case, a fraud admitted by science itself; but nobody's stopping you from believing things that aren't true.

But that doesn't mean we have to agree that they are true. And it doesn't mean we are enemies if we disagree, does it?

To challenge somebody's beliefs philosophically is actually to give them a compliment. That compliment is that their beliefs present some challenge worthy of being addressed. It's only when challenging tips over into petty insults, character assassination, slander and so forth that we can talk about "abuse." And none of this have I done to you, as both you and anyone else can see.