Evolution

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jori

Re: Evolution

Post by Jori »

Many parts of the Bible simply states a theological point. They are not scientifically or historically accurate, because the human writers may make things up to state a theological point. It's like one of those fables about talking animals to express a moral point.

One function of religion is the physical - explanation and control of nature, but science has already taken over this role. However science has not taken over the other functions of religion - the metaphysical, ethical, and social.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Jori wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:33 am ...human writers may make things up to state a theological point.
There are four kinds of narratives:

1. Stories that are not true, and have no special meaning...like Rapunzel or Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

2. Stories that are not true, but have a special meaning to somebody...such as a practical, moral, theological, didactic, scientific, historical or other point, like Aesop's Fables, Atlantis, or the secularization myth.

3. Stories that are true, but have no special meaning...like the story of what somebody had for breakfast yesterday...true, but trivial.

4. Stories that are both true and have a special meaning...like Caesar's crossing the Rubicon, or the story of Waterloo, or the incident of the Maginot Line, stories that have mythical importance, but actually happened.

The question is not whether or not the Biblical account, taken as a whole, has a story in it, nor even whether or not that story makes a theological point. It's the question of which of the four it is.

"Having a point" tells us that it cannot be #1 or #3, because those stories have no point. So it's either #2 or #4. But we can't settle which of it is merely by saying, "it has a point." That doesn't mean it's not also true. It just means it has a point.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:43 am
Jori wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:33 am ...human writers may make things up to state a theological point.
There are four kinds of narratives:

1. Stories that are not true, and have no special meaning...like Rapunzel or Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

2. Stories that are not true, but have a special meaning to somebody...such as a practical, moral, theological, didactic, scientific, historical or other point, like Aesop's Fables, Atlantis, or the secularization myth.

3. Stories that are true, but have no special meaning...like the story of what somebody had for breakfast yesterday...true, but trivial.

4. Stories that are both true and have a special meaning...like Caesar's crossing the Rubicon, or the story of Waterloo, or the incident of the Maginot Line, stories that have mythical importance, but actually happened.

The question is not whether or not the Biblical account, taken as a whole, has a story in it, nor even whether or not that story makes a theological point. It's the question of which of the four it is.

"Having a point" tells us that it cannot be #1 or #3, because those stories have no point. So it's either #2 or #4. But we can't settle which of it is merely by saying, "it has a point." That doesn't mean it's not also true. It just means it has a point.
Stories are made purely of empty words, which is basically sound heard as stories, they are conceptual superimpositions artificially overlaid upon reality which is totally and ultimately absolutely irrefutably Unknowable. FACT

You can bury your head in the sand until the cows come home. The truth will always stay the same, despite what you or anyone else think otherwise.

Brain that is washed by narratives, is the brains only reality. You are pressurized into adopting beliefs by the ones who came before you and often by forcible means, this starts from the moment you leave the cradle and continues to the day you take your last breath. You do not live in your world, you live in others world the one they prepared for you, and you accept that world as normal because you have never known any different. Not until you question it, and then start to think backwards, to the one who created this story that is my life, and that's when you realise for the first time, that no one did. Absolutely no one.

You are no one. And you are also what ''you'' aka no one imagines, now and forever. FACT

Animals make all kinds of noises from their beings as a way to communicate with their own species. But just try asking an animal what time it is, or what is the capital of France, and they will do what they do best, they will completely blank you.

Human language is made of SOUND... nothing more, nothing less. Reality is nothing more than a universal sound and light show for no one.

It's a movie, just like the movie playing at your local cinema, a movie that just differs in appearance only, but made from the exact same substance, namely, sound and light.

Of course you do not have to BELIEVE anything. All you can do is believe something, and that something will always be your belief, your story, the one that you made up, because you have no other means to know anything, nothing at all.

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:07 am Stories are made purely of empty words,
Whatever. :roll:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:36 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:07 am Stories are made purely of empty words,
Whatever. :roll:
.....will be will be, there's really nothing here to see, or be.

"That deep emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."
Albert Einstein
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

uwot wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:33 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:24 pmI think the time is right - but I do enjoy things be summarised by the likes of yourself and others, in English.
Do yourself a favour and get a copy of 'The Philosophy Book' https://www.dk.com/uk/book/978140535329 ... ophy-book/ Stick it on your coffee table or in the khazi and you can gain enlightenment in ten minute chunks.
Sounds like a good idea, next all i need to decide is whether to get a coffee table or a khazi. I'm like the natives these days.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:36 pm
uwot wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:33 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:24 pmI think the time is right - but I do enjoy things be summarised by the likes of yourself and others, in English.
Do yourself a favour and get a copy of 'The Philosophy Book' https://www.dk.com/uk/book/978140535329 ... ophy-book/ Stick it on your coffee table or in the khazi and you can gain enlightenment in ten minute chunks.
Sounds like a good idea, next all i need to decide is whether to get a coffee table or a khazi. I'm like the natives these days.
I own a copy of "The Philosophy Book". I recommend it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Belinda wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:45 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:36 pm
uwot wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:33 pm Do yourself a favour and get a copy of 'The Philosophy Book' https://www.dk.com/uk/book/978140535329 ... ophy-book/ Stick it on your coffee table or in the khazi and you can gain enlightenment in ten minute chunks.
I own a copy of "The Philosophy Book". I recommend it.
Cheers Belinda, definitely will get a copy. I was sorting out my study the other day and I found a copy of "Philosophy the basics" by Nigel Warburton - it's a friend of mines book that I borrowed years ago...don't you hate people that don't return books! - He's in Darwin now anyway for maybe another month (Covid nurse!)
I remember glancing over it, but I think i'll let that return to its owner and get what you guys recommended.

I rarely drink coffee, do you know if there is such a thing as a tea table? I refuse to use modern technology for what nature requires.