The Evolution of Religion.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Vitruvius

The Evolution of Religion.

Post by Vitruvius »

I considered putting this in General Philosophy, but decided upon the Philosophy of Religion section.

Arguably, the contention that religion occurred in human evolutionary history for the purposes of joining hunter gatherer tribes in multi-tribal societies is looking at religion from the outside in - through the lens of science and politics. But it is about religion; the evolution of the moral sense, articulated by intellectual intelligent homo sapiens, then made explicit for the political purpose of reconciling two or more hierarchical groups. This implies nothing supernatural; I don't suppose our primitive ancestors knew any better than we, whether God exists or not, but inferred a Creator God from the appearance of design in nature - and then used the concept as an authority for moral laws.
Dontaskme

Re: The Evolution of Religion.

Post by Dontaskme »

The idea of a Creator God is born out of the thinking animal.

' Thought' is the result of an over evolved primate brain, which evolved to give autonomy to the species in the form of knowledge of I

The energy that appears as the purveyor of knowledge is a danger to itself, simply because knowledge is division. The thinking animal through autonomous knowledge is always in opposition with it's natural state, even though the opposition is an illusory sense of I through knowledge, the illusion is just too real and convincing to be unrecognisable..

The thinking animal soon learnt the art of doership by ''intention'' becoming fully aware it was ( In Tension) through knowledge of I exist.

This tension in the human primate can and often build up to a boiling point that has nowhere else to go but to implode in on itself, allowing the pent up tension to dissipate, sometimes resulting in an act of manic violence upon it's own species. This ''intention'' is a dangerous thing, because in ''Reality'' no thing or agency ever acts intentionally. It is Only through the sense of separation, through the knowledge of I exist, can the idea of 'intention' arise.

The sense of separation, which is the knowledge of I exist, is very real to the evolved primate brain, and the result of that knowledge was the appearance of real agency who could act via intention. And that is why the human primate is the most dangerous species alive on the planet..

This sense of doesrship by I ... has no idea how it knows anything at all....and needed to create a creator to assauge the intense frustration of not-knowing anything. That's basically all there is to the human primates story, it's just all nonsense and dribble. Once an ape always an ape. Humans just fail to accept the truth of their being, but once they do, they'll soon be finding themselves relaxing back into their natural state.