God as an Impersonal Force is a Contradiction

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: God as an Impersonal Force is a Contradiction

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote:
Judeo-Christianity is a descriptor of the cultural background for Western morality; it's not a "religion." You'll never meet a "Judeo-Christian." Rather, "Judeo-Christianity" describes a package of moral precepts handed down from the Jewish and Christian traditions, absent the religious character of either. In the West, people have long practiced Judeo-Christian moral suppositions and precepts, even while many have been agnostics and Atheists. So you need to understand the difference, I would say.
I note your information . Thanks.
--- it's not sensible to think that it's 'the best" "for most people in Europe and America," but not "the best" for anybody else...particularly because neither Judaism nor Christianity is originally European or American, but also because if something is "the best" for one group, it's going to require some elaborate explaining as to why it's not suitable for people in Nigeria or Shanghai as well.

And one wonders what's "the best" in Peru or Honduras," if JC morality is only for Europeans and Americans. Certainly dividing the world into moral "zones" is not going to allow us to have any common basis for mediation of moral differences among cultures. One would wonder why Jewish morality is great in Israel, but no good in Jordan.
It's always best to respect cultural differences. Render unto Caesar.

Christianity , based on a life experience, unlike faiths based on books , is moveable.
"Based on life experience?" No actual Christian thinks it's that. And it's "based on" the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, as explained in the New Testament, so it's certainly involved with "books."
Yes they do think it's that! Obviously you have not met the Christians I have met.
For you, Christianity is about a Book. You idolise an artefact.