God as an Impersonal Force is a Contradiction

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: God as an Impersonal Force is a Contradiction

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm Justice, on the other hand , is competently addressed by philosophers.
Actually, it's a concept they're all seriously struggling with. Rawls wrote a lot about it, but never solved it. Recent books by people like Sen and Dworkin haven't resolved it. Wolterstorff's treatment is better...but on the whole, it's still a debated concept.

So no, it's not a matter that has been resolved.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:15 pm
Belinda wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm Justice, on the other hand , is competently addressed by philosophers.
Actually, it's a concept they're all seriously struggling with. Rawls wrote a lot about it, but never solved it. Recent books by people like Sen and Dworkin haven't resolved it. Wolterstorff's treatment is better...but on the whole, it's still a debated concept.

I did not say not was resolved! Stop doing that!
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:21 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:15 pm

I did not say not was resolved! Stop doing that!
Sorry...what does "competently addressed" mean, in your usage? You mean they just talk about it? Yes, they do...however, with generally inconclusive results.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:16 pm
Belinda wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:56 pm God is both the Absolute , and a person.
It depends on what we mean by "the Absolute." There are "absolute" characteristics that God does not have.

Taoists believe "the Absolute" has to include such things as what we, in the West, would call "evil" or "destruction," or other such negative properties. Theirs is a binary view, in which good and evil are unified in "the Absolute." (Think of the yin-yang: it's darkness and light, but in a single circle, signifying eternality and the Absolute.)

But yes, God is a Person. And like all persons, He has particular intentions, will, characteristics, volition, purposes, identity, moral character, and so on. But each of those excludes the absolute opposite. For example, Scripture says,

"God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all." (1 John 1:5)

That's not the yin-yang. It's an "Absolute" of a particular character and nature.

The absolute trying to confine itself to a conceptual format ( aka knowledgable person) would be like light trying to shine on itself.

God is Light and light can only reflect light. In other words, words that are conceptually known in this conception, cannot know.

The 'known' can only be likened to a fictional story.

Nice try Can can't. Your version of God failed again.

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote:
.what does "competently addressed" mean, in your usage? You mean they just talk about it? Yes, they do...however, with generally inconclusive results.
Words can and do inspire to action. Some poetry is philosophy. Best not to read The Bible like a DIY manual.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:25 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:24 pm "All creation" contains within it a subset of "personal experience" thus contradicting being as driven by an impersonal force.
God is a contradiction
And contradictions exist....
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:47 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:24 pm "All creation" contains within it a subset of "personal experience" thus contradicting being as driven by an impersonal force.
God is a contradiction
Probably the dumbest response I've read in a long while.
You might as well say vaccum exists.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 pm
God is a contradiction
So the contradiction of "2+2=5", as a contradiction, does not exist even though I typed it on a keyboard? It does not exist as a contradiction? It is spelled "vacuum"....and you are the one calling me stupid....
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:01 am Immanuel Can wrote:
.what does "competently addressed" mean, in your usage? You mean they just talk about it? Yes, they do...however, with generally inconclusive results.
Words can and do inspire to action.
You mean that talking about justice makes it happen? Oh, goody. Tell me where that's actually happened.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:22 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 pm

So the contradiction of "2+2=5", as a contradiction, does not exist even though I typed it on a keyboard? It does not exist as a contradiction? It is spelled "vacuum"....and you are the one calling me stupid....
Yes I am.

Oh Look!!! DRAGON.
UNICORN.
Oh my!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:16 am
You mean that talking about justice makes it happen? Oh, goody. Tell me where that's actually happened.
The parables of Jesus.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:33 am

The parables of Jesus.
Jesus certainly didn't just "talk." And I don't know if I'd be very optimistic that His teaching and today's Social Justice rhetoric are going to produce a similar effect. But I suppose you can bank on that if you wish.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:57 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:33 am
The parables of Jesus.
Jesus certainly didn't just "talk." And I don't know if I'd be very optimistic that His teaching and today's Social Justice rhetoric are going to produce a similar effect. But I suppose you can bank on that if you wish.
The ethical system of Jesus of Nazareth can and does stand without miracles as props.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm The ethical system of Jesus of Nazareth can and does stand without miracles as props.
Explain that.

If Jesus Christ was not God, why are people obligated to follow his moral precepts?

What confers that duty upon them?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:07 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm The ethical system of Jesus of Nazareth can and does stand without miracles as props.
Explain that.

If Jesus Christ was not God, why are people obligated to follow his moral precepts?

What confers that duty upon them?

Jesus taught by his life example and by appeal to reason.