Being Anti-God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Being Anti-God

Post by Gary Childress »

gaffo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:38 am
Age wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:20 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:06 am

I've been trying to win the heart of a woman I've fallen in love with for over 6 months now and it doesn't seem to be working. Apparently, nothing I can do there. So I beg to differ on your opinion of the world.
Is that 'it'? How old are you?
thats what i wondr about - 20 someting. as i was with such a mindset.
How utterly juvenile. Just because you don't care for females doesn't mean everyone your age thinks that way. Surely you're wise enough to know that?

Post by Age »

gaffo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:26 am
Age wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:22 am
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:17 am

Yeah. I guess that's pretty true. I'll see what the plan is eventually. Or otherwise not.
Well you OBVIOUSLY, and CERTAINLY WILL, NOT after you, so call, "die"
thats my problemwith your Religion.
LOL And what 'Religion' is that supposed to be, EXACTLY?

Also, WHY did you write 'Religion' with a capital 'R'?
gaffo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:26 am me being an atheist and good guy. when i die i shall not be given repreive whem i die and still find myself alive in Hell.
But there is NO hell NOR heaven for ANY one AFTER they "die". When will 'you', adult human beings, START to realize this FACT?
gaffo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:26 am I shall repent of my error in dissbeleif (tough always acted good and kind while alive) in God/s and He/they will not grant me alvation from hell. so God's love is limited oly to the living. limited love. great ;-/.

oh well I can't god just if He ain't. I'm just a dumb naive moral atheist.
Okay.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:29 am
Age wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:20 amBlah, blur, blah, blur....blur blur blur...blah....
Quit while your a head, or chop it off, and put yourself out of your hopeless attempt to explain reality of how the mind and brain work.
But I have NEVER even begun NOR ATTEMPTED to EXPLAIN this here.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:29 am You will never be able to put your deluded belief that you know this ''not-knowing'' reality....let alone put it into words.
But this is NOT a belief.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:29 am But try as you like, you do obviously enjoy talking about nothing.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:16 am
bahman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:44 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:31 am I don't like this world a whole lot and if God created it, then I don't think I like God a whole lot either.
What if you have chosen this life? Like fallen God in His/Her creation?
What do you mean? Do you mean that perhaps I was given whatever limited number of choices before I was born and chose this particular life over the others? Or do you mean that my choices so far led to the life I have so far? If it's the latter, then I would probably agree. If it's the former then I suppose that could be true also. I guess I'll have to find out how things turn out. But so far my life has been pretty lonely and purposeless. If I consciously chose it over something better, then I hope I knew what I was doing at the time.

Also, what do you mean by "fallen God"? It's an intriguing phrase.
I mean that you chose your life before coming to this world, being born. Life is meaningless but it could be purposeful. By fallen God, I mean a God who created everything and chooses to come to this world, losing all his/her power in order to take a different journey than being God.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

bahman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:52 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:16 am
bahman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:44 pm
What if you have chosen this life? Like fallen God in His/Her creation?
What do you mean? Do you mean that perhaps I was given whatever limited number of choices before I was born and chose this particular life over the others? Or do you mean that my choices so far led to the life I have so far? If it's the latter, then I would probably agree. If it's the former then I suppose that could be true also. I guess I'll have to find out how things turn out. But so far my life has been pretty lonely and purposeless. If I consciously chose it over something better, then I hope I knew what I was doing at the time.

Also, what do you mean by "fallen God"? It's an intriguing phrase.
I mean that you chose your life before coming to this world, being born. Life is meaningless but it could be purposeful. By fallen God, I mean a God who created everything and chooses to come to this world, losing all his/her power in order to take a different journey than being God.
Yeah. I don't know. Maybe that's what happened for all I know.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

gaffo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:46 am i know of the Judaic/christian?Islamic theology of the end times Sir.
Three different accounts of the end times, actually.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:46 pm
gaffo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:46 am i know of the Judaic/christian?Islamic theology of the end times Sir.
I hope they're all wrong. Sure would spoil the surprise. I hate people who give away the ending of a story.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:04 pm
I hope they're all wrong. Sure would spoil the surprise. I hate people who give away the ending of a story.
Which of HIS_tor_Y = true, I wander?

His story.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Best to know. This isn't fiction, and the stakes are the highest possible.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:27 pm
Best to know. This isn't fiction, and the stakes are the highest possible.
Of course they're fictions. If you believe any of them, even you believe the other two are fictions. They're like global warming--"only ten more years 'til the end"--has been predicted for the last 60 years. The end times have been imminent now for over 2000 years. At least Santa Claus and the tooth fairy show up once in a while.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:38 am If you believe any of them, even you believe the other two are fictions.
Of course. But believing one of them means believing one of them, not that all three are fictions. If you suppose all three are fictions, then you don't believe any of them at all.
The end times have been imminent now for over 2000 years.
"Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue just as they were from the beginning of creation.” For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water, through which the world at that time was destroyed by being flooded with water. But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly people. But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be discovered. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness..." ( 2 Peter 3:3-11)
uwot

Post by uwot »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:42 am"Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue just as they were from the beginning of creation.” For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water...
No it wasn't. The myth that water is the primordial element goes back to ancient Mesopotamia and Egypt. Both these early civilisations took advantage of the annual flooding of the Tigris/Euphrates and Nile respectively. The receding waters left a layer of fertile sediment that greatly facilitated agriculture, turning nomadic hunter gatherers into farming and urban communities. The deposit of the sediment was interpreted as water turning into soil. The underwater decay of vegetation creates methane, which is a flammable gas; hence water turns into air, turns into fire. Thales of Miletus is known to have travelled in both Mesopotamia and Egypt. At the time, Miletus was at the mouth of the river Meander, from which we get the verb. It is now 8 miles inland because of the sediment the river has dropped over the last two and a half millennia. Not surprisingly, Thales too argued that water is the primordial substance. It was a common creation myth at the time and demonstrably untrue. If a book is clearly wrong about the world we can see, what chance is there that it is right about anything we can't see?

If ancient philosophy/science is your thing, you might like this article I wrote which is more of the above: https://philosophynow.org/issues/104/Ph ... d_Branches
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:42 am
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:38 am If you believe any of them, even you believe the other two are fictions.
Of course. But believing one of them means believing one of them, not that all three are fictions. If you suppose all three are fictions, then you don't believe any of them at all.
"Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue just as they were from the beginning of creation.” For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water, through which the world at that time was destroyed by being flooded with water. But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly people. But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be discovered. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness..." ( 2 Peter 3:3-11)
This is so silly! You can't use one fairy tale to prove another. Even if one of the doomsday prognostications was right, what difference would it make. The only things that matter in life are what you can do something about. If it's inevitable, it's inevitable. Your own little fable tells of those who spent their life worrying and preparing for what never happened. It's like all those who spent their time and money building bomb shelters in the fifties, who are now all dead and their bomb shelters rotting.

Here's a principle that never fails. No one can tell the future!

Anyone who claims he can is a fake and a liar. Anyone who believes him is a gullible fool. [Think global warming!]
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

uwot wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:16 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:42 am"Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue just as they were from the beginning of creation.” For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water...
No it wasn't. The myth that water is the primordial element goes back to ancient Mesopotamia and Egypt. Both these early civilisations took advantage of the annual flooding of the Tigris/Euphrates and Nile respectively. The receding waters left a layer of fertile sediment that greatly facilitated agriculture, turning nomadic hunter gatherers into farming and urban communities. The deposit of the sediment was interpreted as water turning into soil. The underwater decay of vegetation creates methane, which is a flammable gas; hence water turns into air, turns into fire. Thales of Miletus is known to have travelled in both Mesopotamia and Egypt. At the time, Miletus was at the mouth of the river Meander, from which we get the verb. It is now 8 miles inland because of the sediment the river has dropped over the last two and a half millennia. Not surprisingly, Thales too argued that water is the primordial substance. It was a common creation myth at the time and demonstrably untrue. If a book is clearly wrong about the world we can see, what chance is there that it is right about anything we can't see?

If ancient philosophy/science is your thing, you might like this article I wrote which is more of the above: https://philosophynow.org/issues/104/Ph ... d_Branches
Of course! Unfortunately you're attempting to use reason against credulity, commonly known as faith. Reason is impotent against gullibility.

Enjoyed your article, (again) and found these two things interesting:
Even as late as 1818, when Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein, people still equated electromagnetism with life.
Mary Shelley is one of many unrecognized women geniuses, like Curie and Émilie du Châtelet, who corrected Newton. There is in fact a close relationship between the electrical and life, though certainly not in any mystical sense. Electricity is used regularly today to resuscitate the dead (much like Frankenstein's monster). It's called cardioversion.
To Pythagoreans, the pleasing sounds of a harmonious scale were however of secondary importance – a by-product of the fact that the ‘limiting things’, the mathematical rules, were applied appropriately. The main purpose of the Pythagoreans’ intellectual endeavour was to discover and contemplate these mathematical rules that they believed governed the world, so that they could lead well-ordered, harmonious lives.
I refer to that as the Pythogorean fallacy and it has forever since plagued and corrupted both philosophy and science. Mathematics is nothing more than a human invented method of identifying and describing those aspects of reality that can be counted or measured. Mathematical, "rules," have no efficiency to make anything happen, they are merely the recognition of what is, not the cause of what is. The same mistake is made today by those who point to scientific principles as the reason why things are what they are. The scientific principles do not cause or mold reality, they only describe it.

Theists like to use the Pythogorean fallacy to argue for creation, as though the laws of physics were something imposed on existence by some omnipotent being, but calling the principles that describe the nature of physical existence, "laws," as something forced on reality, is just a mistake, and not an innocent one.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:26 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:42 am
You can't use one fairy tale to prove another.
Well, I'm not so much "proving as just "informing. Your objection, and the objector, are noted in Scripture already. It was expected. That much, this does "prove."

Now, what you do with what you know is no affair of mine, and you certainly won't be answering to me.
Here's a principle that never fails. No one can tell the future!
I wonder if you think that's true even of God.