The Lies of Religion

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

The Lies of Religion

Post by Dontaskme »

Matthew 5:48
You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Dam's response: To claim something is perfect is to imply it was not perfect. :shock:
Dontaskme

Re: The Lies of Religion

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman

Post by bahman »

What do you mean by perfect?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:01 pm What do you mean by perfect?
Don’t ask me ..I’m just a human parrot.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

DAM's got it wrong, as usual.

"Perfect" can be a synonym for "flawless." It can also mean "morally unblemished." And it can mean "complete."

She doesn't specify which she thinks it means here, or which it means in the context in which it was given. So she's chirping about nothing.

In the context of the Sermon on the Mount, it refers to being so complete in one's devotion to fulfilling the Law of God that nothing is left to be done...as when one loves one's enemies. Jesus has just pointed out that the Pharisees love their friends...so there's no great achievement in doing only that. One needs to go beyond.

To be "perfect," in that context, is to complete not only the letter of what the Law says, but the whole spirit and attitude in which it participates. In other words, it means to grasp not merely those things God has explicitly said, but to understand all that the commandment implies as well, and to do the whole thing consistently.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:20 pm

"Perfect" can be a synonym for "flawless." It can also mean "morally unblemished." And it can mean "complete."

She doesn't specify which she thinks it means here, or which it means in the context in which it was given. So she's chirping about nothing.

In the context of the Sermon on the Mount, it refers to being so complete in one's devotion to fulfilling the Law of God that nothing is left to be done...as when one loves one's enemies. Jesus has just pointed out that the Pharisees love their friends...so there's no great achievement in doing only that. One needs to go beyond.

To be "perfect," in that context, is to complete not only the letter of what the Law says, but the whole spirit and attitude in which it participates. In other words, it means to grasp not merely those things God has explicitly said, but to understand all that the commandment implies as well, and to do the whole thing consistently.
More concepts.. just dust upon the mirror. Nice try, need another dime for the slot machine of lies? Playing to win but loses every time. 😂😂😂Can, you certainly can weave a whole web of sentimental mush.

Reality check, the universe has no need for mush, you do, the one you created, the one you invented. The need is yours, need does not belong to nature. Nature has no need. Nature just is…you’ve created need, not nature.

If all sentient humans beings went extinct tomorrow…the universe would just carry on as though you never existed like it has done for billions of years prior to your existence…

God only showed up when you did, because only you created god with your need, and your conceptual language filled your need. A conceptual language that only showed up a few seconds ago…good drama though, keep up the good show clown shoe, it’s very entertaining.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

I don't have to specify what it means, I'm more interested in calling out the hypocrisy that are most human opinions.

Beside, there are always those who will specify like you for example. And you would be right and I would be wrong. As you have already specified. You already know perfection and how to live by it.

As for me, I don't have to strive for goals such as happiness or perfection. I mean imagine the burden of having to keep that going all your life. Imagine having to play up to an image that I have self imposed upon myself. Imagine having to pretend you are perfect and happy all the time...I'd rather just be my real self thanks.

Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:52 am Image
Truth is never reality. It can only ever be man's best guess made with honesty - and that is very rare indeed.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:57 am

I don't have to specify what it means,
You do, if you want people to think you know what you're talking about.

And in this case, you needed to know the context in which the word "perfect" was being used. And for that, you'd actually have to read the text -- a thing which you evidently didn't do.

When you don't even really read what you're complaining about, don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:51 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:57 am

I don't have to specify what it means,
You do, if you want people to think you know what you're talking about.

And in this case, you needed to know the context in which the word "perfect" was being used. And for that, you'd actually have to read the text -- a thing which you evidently didn't do.

When you don't even really read what you're complaining about, don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously.
Well to be perfectly honest Mr Can can't....I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, as per usual, do you just make all this up as you go along? ... be honest with yourself, and ask ...who in the hell really knows what they are talking about?

I do not want to be taken seriously....do you? will it make one iota of difference whether I care about being taken seriously by other people who pretend they know what they are talking about, but then blame others for not knowing...geez, I'd rather never speak to another human ever again.

I have to admit, I never pretended to ever know what I am talking about, In truth, I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about, I'm just talking...chirp chirp, like a parrot.

No one knows anything, if they do it's because they themselves have created that knowledge. Do you understand that Mr Can can't? Or is that too simple for you.

Please ..why do you have to be such a condescending kunt about knowledge, it's really an ugly trait you've apdopted there, I find it quite repugnant, even if you don't.

I know you don't like being called out for your bullshit, but me, unlike you, I do like being called out, it confirms what I already know, which is all that we believe we know about ourself is bullshit, including yours.

So keep on rolling with the moral high ground of pretense, Mr Can can't, the pompous pretense is all you've got to work with, and you don't like that do you, pig eater...why don't you eat your dog? Oh that's right, because your God said you were allowed to slaughter pigs because you were made in his image, so you've got special priVILEges.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:27 am
Truth is never reality. It can only ever be man's best guess made with honesty - and that is very rare indeed.
Well there is only your truth and your God.

Being honest is hard to do, that's why it's always best to do the easy thing, and just be honest.

The image is saying you cannot know truth, because there is only truth. Your perception of truth, is a lie, and that's the only truth you'll ever know.

Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:35 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:27 am
Well there is only your truth and your God.

Being honest is hard to do, that's why it's always best to do the easy thing, and just be honest.

The image is saying you cannot know truth, because there is only truth. Your perception of truth, is a lie, and that's the only truth you'll ever know.

The image says nothing.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:17 am
So keep on rolling with the moral high ground of pretense, Mr Can can't, the pompous pretense is all you've got to work with, and you don't like that do you, pig eater...why don't you eat your dog? Oh that's right, because your God said you were allowed to slaughter pigs because you were made in his image, so you've got special priVILEges.

THis pig only exists to be eaten.