Imperefct God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Re: Imperefct God

Post by Greatest I am »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:02 am
Greatest I am wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:58 pm Jesus was never elected to be anointed nor was he ever anointed to Christ by his people.
So says Gnosticism, perhaps: but it's only one in many ways in which it's wrong. All the original Christians were Jews. In fact, the first council had, as its subject, the question of whether or not it was even possible for a Gentile to be a Christian.

Gnostics should read a Bible every now and then.
A hole.

You just said there were no Gnostics, fool, so who are you talking to?

While you, duh, ponder that, what is a Chrestian, and why did Christianity usurp their writings if all early Christians were Jews and not Chrestians?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:02 am
Greatest I am wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:58 pm Jesus was never elected to be anointed nor was he ever anointed to Christ by his people.
So says Gnosticism, perhaps:
So says the bible, so stop implying something like the usual Christian hypocrites do in their dishonest discourses.

Regards
DL
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

UU churches attract people who seek truth and goodness without being willing to accept other people's ideas until they have had a long think about them.

Admittedly my experience with 'em is limited, but I found 'em short-sighted, grasping, and needy.

By contrast conventionally Xian churches tend to attract people who are either unaware they can think for themselves or are unwilling to do so.

Most of the pentecostals I've met are exactly like that. Not so much with, for example, the catholics. Nondenominationals in particular are a defiant bunch, clannish mebbe, but feisty...not followers-types.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:13 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:49 pm “atheist churches,” which cater to Americans who have lost faith in supernatural deities but still crave community, enjoy singing with others, and want to think deeply about morality. It’s religion, minus all the God stuff.

The unitarian universalists fit that description.

Many years back, I attended a UU church in Lacombe, Louisiana. The congregation was intelligent, political, concerned about morality; it was also a soap opera of sex, backstabbing, grudges, and greed. And the children...all were bein' raised in an enlightened way, and nearly every one was a mess...all manner of psych-issues (self-injury, eatin' disorders, etc.).

After a couple of years, and havin' alienated pretty much everyone, I stopped attendin' services.

Now, I'm sure there are actual god churches where things are no better, but my gut tells me they'd be the exception whereas that UU church was the rule for the no-god places.
Yet I have been banned from some U U sites, and Gnostic Christians are universalists.

The ban was for my arguing against the supernatural and the evil Yahweh.

The U U does not like to face the immorality of the Christian theology any more than the right wing Christians do.

If Jesus himself showed up and preached today, he would get booed off stage for moralizing.

Regards
DL
Well, I'm not surprised.

As I say: the particular congregation I hung with while bein' intelligent, political, concerned about morality was also a soap opera of sex, backstabbing, grudges, and greed.

Don't believe for a second that I favor UUism.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:22 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:06 am
Greatest I am wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:40 pm

Why would you give that right to define anything...
Give? I could never "give" Him anything but thanks. His rights are His own.
So are yours,
No, mine and yours are derivative. They exist only by way of what I am "endowed by the Creator," to borrow a phrase. There are no grounds for rights apart from that, you'll find.

You can, of course, just insist you have rights. But that's mere petulance, and you'll never be able to say why you do, or defend them against even the question of a child: "why?"
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:27 pm You just said there were no Gnostics...
False. I said there are no "Christian Gnostics," or "Gnostic Christians," whichever way you prefer to put it.
While you, duh, ponder that, what is a Chrestian, and why did Christianity usurp their writings if all early Christians were Jews and not Chrestians?
Easy answer. Christianity is Judaism plus Messiah. There are two "testaments," the "Old" (Jewish) and the "New" (Jewish-and-Gentile) Again, if you read your Bible, you'd know that.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:16 pm
seeds wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:34 pm
First of all, what is "a hole Christians"?
Look in a mirror.

Regards
DL
A brilliant retort, DL.

Is that a sampling of that Gnostic Christian "LOVE" you were speaking of?

Anyway, let's get back to your issue regarding Yahweh's discrimination against woman and gays and why you are not directing your hatred and vitriol at Allah, who is much worse in that regard?

What's your explanation for that?
_______
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can, the fact that Christianity today is not gnostic is largely due to the historical influence of Irenaeus upon Xian doctrine. There is no need to bring intervention by God into a matter of history.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:25 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:22 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:06 am
Give? I could never "give" Him anything but thanks. His rights are His own.
So are yours,
No, mine and yours are derivative. They exist only by way of what I am "endowed by the Creator," to borrow a phrase. There are no grounds for rights apart from that, you'll find.

You can, of course, just insist you have rights. But that's mere petulance, and you'll never be able to say why you do, or defend them against even the question of a child: "why?"
I have every freedom and right that I choose to defend or demand.

No one has any right that they are not willing to defend or demand.

We have collectively given up most freedoms for the security of living under laws.

We are also completely free to break the laws we live under.

Not free of consequences, of course.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:27 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:27 pm You just said there were no Gnostics...
False. I said there are no "Christian Gnostics," or "Gnostic Christians," whichever way you prefer to put it.
Easy answer. Christianity is Judaism plus Messiah. There are two "testaments," the "Old" (Jewish) and the "New" (Jewish-and-Gentile) Again, if you read your Bible, you'd know that.
There are no gentile writers that I know of.

No Peter, Paul and Marie. They just sing.

Do inform who you are talking about.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

seeds wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:32 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:16 pm
seeds wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:34 pm
First of all, what is "a hole Christians"?
Look in a mirror.

Regards
DL
A brilliant retort, DL.

Is that a sampling of that Gnostic Christian "LOVE" you were speaking of?

Anyway, let's get back to your issue regarding Yahweh's discrimination against woman and gays and why you are not directing your hatred and vitriol at Allah, who is much worse in that regard?

What's your explanation for that?
_______
Numbers, silly.

Do you see Muslims posting here much?

Look in the mirror again and know that in the right wing of all Abrahamic cults, genocide and fascism are venerated.

St. Hitler is in heaven, to Christians and Muslims genocidal god lovers.

Regards
DL
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:44 pm UU churches attract people who seek truth and goodness without being willing to accept other people's ideas until they have had a long think about them.

Admittedly my experience with 'em is limited, but I found 'em short-sighted, grasping, and needy.

By contrast conventionally Xian churches tend to attract people who are either unaware they can think for themselves or are unwilling to do so.

Most of the pentecostals I've met are exactly like that. Not so much with, for example, the catholics. Nondenominationals in particular are a defiant bunch, clannish mebbe, but feisty...not followers-types.
It may be coincidence, but every Catholic person I have known, perhaps about ten individuals, has been kind, open- minded, and easy to be friends with.

The Unitarian church I attended had a mixture of people quite a few of whom had problems it is true. I guess that everyone has suffered some more so than others obviously. Perhaps , Henry, you did not expect people to talk openly about their neuroses? I appreciate that you search and don't dismiss your own experiences.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:34 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:25 pm You can, of course, just insist you have rights. But that's mere petulance, and you'll never be able to say why you do, or defend them against even the question of a child: "why?"
I have every freedom and right that I choose to defend or demand
Yes, that's a marvelous example of what I said above: asserting a right by way of nothing more than wishing it were so. So let me ask you the child's question: "What gives you that 'right'?"
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:21 am
henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:44 pm UU churches attract people who seek truth and goodness without being willing to accept other people's ideas until they have had a long think about them.

It may be coincidence, but every Catholic person I have known, perhaps about ten individuals, has been kind, open- minded, and easy to be friends with.

The Unitarian church I attended had a mixture of people quite a few of whom had problems it is true. I guess that everyone has suffered some more so than others obviously. *Perhaps , Henry, you did not expect people to talk openly about their neuroses? I appreciate that you search and don't dismiss your own experiences.
*Well, that's the thing with the particular UU congregation I associated with, B: they didn't just talk about their neuroses, they indulged 'em. They fed their neuroses like pet cats then complained the pussy was too fat.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:24 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:34 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:25 pm You can, of course, just insist you have rights. But that's mere petulance, and you'll never be able to say why you do, or defend them against even the question of a child: "why?"
I have every freedom and right that I choose to defend or demand
Yes, that's a marvelous example of what I said above: asserting a right by way of nothing more than wishing it were so. So let me ask you the child's question: *"What gives you that 'right'?"
*My answer, when I was an atheist and nihilistic: might.