Imperefct God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Imperefct God

Post by Walker »

Belinda wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:33 am Most people don't believe there are supernatural persons.
Some folks, with their limited human perspective, don’t claim to know the boundaries of natural.

Other folks do claim to know the boundaries of natural, and label mysteries as “supernatural,” which is the layman’s unjustified dark matter (dark matter being justified by numbers and such.)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:45 am
Belinda wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:33 am Most people don't believe there are supernatural persons.
Some folks, with their limited human perspective, don’t claim to know the boundaries of natural.

Other folks do claim to know the boundaries of natural, and label mysteries as “supernatural,” which is the layman’s unjustified dark matter (dark matter being justified by numbers and such.)
I know you are a fence sitter.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Belinda wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:33 am Dubious wrote:
You're sure of that, are you! If there were the kind of Jesus you expect to determine in a final showdown whether they believed in him, I would find him thoroughly despicable if he opened the gates to such as you. It wouldn't have taken much to qualify in any event if the measure is simply to believe! But what about those who believe in Brahma or Krishna instead? Come up with any answers yet??
Jesus of Nazareth was probably a real individual, a Palestinian Jew: Christ is a mythical individual who is credited with supernatural powers.Jesus, and Christ are not the same person.

Most people don't believe there are supernatural persons.Therefore Christianity needs to be reformed for modern usage. The God Who is dead (Nietzsche) was a supernatural authority, and people nowadays resist authority and prefer to a) think for themselves and b) be ruled democratically. We are all post-Nietzscheans.
Nothing is supernatural.
There is nature; there is tuff we do not understand (yet?); and there are a whole range of lies and delusions.
Palestine 2000 years ago was a country under occupation. Many people thrived, others felt the weight of the imperial power and opression. People need their heroes and someone who was executed was chosen as that hero. The attribution of "supernatural power" was so common in those days that we have no obligation to beleive any of it.
Augustus himself was a God on earth and life was full of signs and portents. Fortunes could be read in the liver of a dead sheep; in the flight of birds; in the stars and much else besides.
If we want to consider the possibility that Jesus was imbued with supernatural powers then we would also have to accet the range of other commonly accepted "supernatural" things which were the bread and butter of the Roman world.

If you want to beleive that Jesus was god on earth then why no Augustus also, or Alexander of Macedonia, and why not beleive in hepatoscopy?
Sculptor

Re: Imperfect God

Post by Sculptor »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:31 am
Dubious wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:31 am As usual, your summary is screwed.
Well, we'll see. For now, you're not saying anything I find even remotely interesting.

Nietzsche spent his life being wrong. He ended it very badly, but in just the way you expect of such a man. And now he knows just how wrong he was...as will you, one day, one way or another.

Look to it.
Nietzsche said nothing wrong at all.
Tell us ONE thing that was not so!
Last edited by Sculptor on Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:10 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:31 am
Dubious wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:31 am As usual, your summary is screwed.
Well, we'll see. For now, you're not saying anything I find even remotely interesting.

Nietzsche spent his life being wrong. He ended it very badly, but in just the way you expect of such a man. And now he knows just how wrong he was...as will you, one day, one way or another.

Look to it.
Nietzsche said nothing worng at all.
Nothing worn_G - tackle out and all, very impressed.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dubious wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:49 am No...
As I said, you're saying nothing I find remotely interesting, and nothing I find remotely challenging.

But you have been told. If you were right, you and I will never know it. And if I'm right, we'll both know it. So we shall see, just as Nietzsche now sees. Or we never shall, as Nietzsche never did.

For Nietzsche said, "God is dead."

And God says, "Nietzsche is dead."

Only one of them is right. And that's analytically true.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:10 pm Nietzsche said nothing wrong at all.
Ah. Nietzsche was blessed with the alleged "Papal infallibility." Who knew? :D

"God is dead" was one thing he said that he now knows is untrue. But there are plenty more, since he made that fundamental error.

And now, he's dead. I wonder what he would say to you now?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The strongest always wins.

That's not what I meant (though, I can see from my sloppy construct why you might think so).

Sure, Joe can enslave Stan through the exercise of might, but no right is established.

Stan, gettin' himself a little might of his own, can cast off Joe's shackes, and, in doin' so, secure or restore what's right.

Better still: Stan exercisin' might from the start to keep Joe's leash offa his neck in the first place.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:00 pm The strongest always wins.

That's not what I meant (though, I can see from my sloppy construct why you might think so).

Sure, Joe can enslave Stan through the exercise of might, but no right is established.
Yep. I agree.

It's interesting, though: if Nietzsche were right about God being dead, then what is there, other than my "might" at the present moment, to secure for me my "rights"?

And what happens to my "rights" when I am old, or young, or female, or poor, or unpopular, or from a minority...Advocates for those groups admit and even insist that those groups lack the power they allegedly deserve...which means they also lack the might to defend themselves against the "hegemony" or "oppressive power" of some other group...and insist that they deserve to be accorded more power, so they can defend the alleged "rights" that they do not have the might to produce on their own.

None of that is coherent. If might makes rights, then only the mighty are in a position to determine what rights exist. The powerless have no justification, then, because they have no might. But they want to claim the rights to which their lack of might apparently disentitles them. :?
henry quirk

"if Nietzsche were right"

Post by henry quirk »

He wasn't.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:55 pm

"God is dead" was one thing he said that he now knows is untrue. But there are plenty more, since he made that fundamental error.

He'd says you were a fucking slave, because that is exactly what you are.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:15 pm

He'd says you were a slave, because that is exactly what you are.
The question was, of course, rhetorical. I don't expect you to master such subtleties.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 pm

The question was, of course, rhetorical. I don't expect you to master such subtleties.
Irony: you're the slave for bein' a theist as he willingly participates in bein' herded by his gov down the slaughterhouse chute. Is he angry about that? Nope. He's angry cuz other folks won't join him on his way to the killin' floor.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 pm

The truth hurts eh!
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:19 pm The truth hurts eh!
It must.