The Concept of God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: The Concept of God

Post by Dontaskme »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:31 pm

If God is the creator and man is made in the image of God then man is a creator; therefore the creation of the term "God" is man working in image of the creator with the creator creating the creator through the created.
Well said.

What boils my oil, is when people say, oh well, your just contradicting yourself. And it's like, err, how am I supposed to know that unless I didn't know that. :roll: :lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:27 am

If God is the creator and man is made in the image of God then man is a creator; therefore the creation of the term "God" is man working in image of the creator with the creator creating the creator through the created.
Well said.

What boils my oil, is when people say, oh well, your just contradicting yourself. And it's like, err, how am I supposed to know that unless I didn't know that. :roll: :lol:
That is what debates are all about. Listening and learning from what others say, and agreeing or disagreeing.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:08 am

Well said.

That is what debates are all about. Listening and learning from what others say, and agreeing or disagreeing.
In that case, I agree to disagree.

No one has to learn to be. To know you are being requires knowledge, which can only ever point to the illusory nature of your reality.

We are talking about the ''Knower'' here, aren't we?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:19 am
Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:08 am

Well said.

In that case, I agree to disagree.

No one has to learn to be. To know you are being requires knowledge, which can only ever point to the illusory nature of your reality.

We are talking about the ''Knower'' here, aren't we?
Yes we are talking about the "Knower" here. As dwellers in a world of time, space, and force we all have to pretend to be "Knowers". Even you.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:37 am
Yes we are talking about the "Knower" here. As dwellers in a world of time, space, and force we all have to pretend to be "Knowers". Even you.
Dare to dream, and you'll get it.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:45 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:56 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:29 pm

If it is subjective then your morality is not factual, ie based upon universals; therefore your judgements are strictly your own and not governed by an objective source. Your criticisms are merely a personal whim.
Spoken like one who fears discussing moral.

Sure they are subjective, but better than 70% of us world wide think the same way, and you and I would not likely disagree on most moral tenets unless you are a immoral and brain dead believer.

That is factual.

Regards
DL
Thus morality is based on personal whim and the majority of people follow a morality based upon their own spirits and appetites.
Basically, correct.

Although if you go by whim, you likely do evil more than the rest who go by logic and reason.

We live in a good system, aided by our instincts that push us to cooperate instead of compete to get ahead.

You sound like you are complaining when you should be joyful and thankful.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

trokanmariel wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:36 pm
I think that you have argued a defense for God, along the lines of perfection coming from evolution. Which is difficult to reconcile with.
??

Evolution seems to have been good to us.

Our main goal is to reproduce and we have done a lot of that.

Perhaps too much given our proximity to our own extinction.

What do you see as a lack of perfection in how our instincts guide us?

What have you not reconciled?

Regards
DL
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:33 pm
I think that you have argued a defense for God, along the lines of perfection coming from evolution. Which is difficult to reconcile with.
??

Regards
DL

I haven't reconciled animal life with a God that's universally benevolent; even if God isn't responsible for animals, it doesn't make sense as to why people on Earth are alone
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

trokanmariel wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:39 pm
??

Regards
DL

I haven't reconciled animal life with a God that's universally benevolent; even if God isn't responsible for animals, it doesn't make sense as to why people on Earth are alone
Alone as in you wanting another sentient intelligent alien species?

I think you lost me on that, if it is your notion.

I see nature as universally benevolent and do not have the problem of evil that some have when believing in a supernatural god.

Even Christians sing that sin is a happy fault and necessary to god's plan. It is.

Not that Christians these days know how to do apologetics on that. Fact is they run away when I mention it because they are such poor apologists.

In our dualistic universe, good and evil, like Yin and Yang, compliment each other and are not in conflict.
Front and back compliment each other and are not in conflict.

Regards
DL
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:50 pm

??

Regards
DL

I see nature as universally benevolent and do not have the problem of evil that some have when believing in a supernatural god.

Even Christians sing that sin is a happy fault and necessary to god's plan. It is.

Not that Christians these days know how to do apologetics on that. Fact is they run away when I mention it because they are such poor apologists.

In our dualistic universe, good and evil, like Yin and Yang, compliment each other and are not in conflict.

Regards
DL
By alone, I mean why are Earth versions of people without any government from the Gods, when God is meant to be called God.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Trokenmariel wrote:
By alone, I mean why are Earth versions of people without any government from the Gods, when God is meant to be called God.
When people believed in many gods these gods were forces of nature including human nature. People lived close to nature long ago and they saw that there were powerful forces they had to recognise and harmonise with.

When the one God was invented He was not a force of nature, He was a law giver, a product of human culture Who told men to have dominion over nature.

Forces of nature are very much still in charge. We need a new deity or set of deities.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

trokanmariel wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:36 pm

Regards
DL
???

Sorry. Lost me again. We do not seem to be on the same page, given you ignore questions.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:49 pm Trokenmariel wrote:
When people believed in many gods these gods were forces of nature including human nature. People lived close to nature long ago and they saw that there were powerful forces they had to recognise and harmonise with.

When the one God was invented He was not a force of nature, He was a law giver, a product of human culture Who told men to have dominion over nature.

Forces of nature are very much still in charge. We need a new deity or set of deities.
I agree.

I think we should elect Gaia as Goddess because we know for sure she creates and sustains us.

We should hurry though as we are nearing e3xtinction or a least a huge amount of climate trouble.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Greatest I am wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:09 pm

Regards
DL
???

Sorry. Lost me again. We do not seem to be on the same page, given you ignore questions.

Regards
DL
I mean if there is God, who can recognise themself as God, along with the concept of rulership, why are people left to solely look after evolution when people aren't the creators of evolution?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:19 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:09 pm

???

Regards
DL
I mean if there is God, who can recognise themself as God, along with the concept of rulership, why are people left to solely look after evolution when people aren't the creators of evolution?
What a god sees in himself is not relevant.

God is a title that one is given. Even a real supernatural God must be recognized and assigned that title or it is meaningless.

The same would apply to holy, righteous etc.

I can say that I am any of those attributes, but if not recognized and triggered by, ---- you in this instance as my judge and listener, --- the term becomes irrelevant.

As Jesus indicated, Gods are elected.

You decide what you will call your highest ideal or God.

We cannot decide our physical evolution at present, but zipper DNA methods are bringing that closer.

We can and have evolve our thinking, limited by our DNA's initial programming of selfishness, in terms of love and hate biases, which are controlled by many outside factors.

We can individually change the world to whatever we want, but only if we can get enough people to cooperates.

Regards
DL