The Concept of God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

trokanmariel

Re: The Concept of God

Post by trokanmariel »

I have a logical problem, with not the existence of but the concept of God; God is a human-Earth word, and, as such, any true God would be faced with the problem of the convenience of the correlation, between themself and the happenchance that their reality was a fictional word made up by humans.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

trokanmariel wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:03 pm I have a logical problem, with not the existence of but the concept of God; God is a human-Earth word, and, as such, any true God would be faced with the problem of the convenience of the correlation, between themself and the happenchance that their reality was a fictional word made up by humans.
I think this is just a very roundabout way of saying, "I worry that man may have made God up," isn' t it?

Let's try it with a different concept: "Pacific Ocean" is a human-Earth word, and, as such, any true Pacific Ocean would be faced with the problem of the convenience of the correlation, between itself and the happenchance that its reality was a fictional word made up by humans."

See the problem? You and I both know that the Pacific Ocean exists. But I can put it in exactly your same sentence. So the existence or non-existence of God is not established by that argument...or indeed, even illuminated by it.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Greatest I am wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:31 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:18 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:20 pm Gibberish.

Thanks.

Regards
DL
You can only understand perfection through comparison. Comparison occurs through the relation of one thing to another. This relationship necessitates being as broken down into parts. God as the whole of being transcends this relative particulation.
Only if there is a real god.

Supernatural thinking is foolish thinking.

If comparing is what you recommend, then Yahweh/Jesus, by most measures, is one big p**** of god, if one looks from a moral perspective.

Regards
DL
If morality is subjective then your measurement of God from said moral stance is subjective. You are spouting off opinions as facts.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:45 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:18 pm

You can only understand perfection through comparison. Comparison occurs through the relation of one thing to another. This relationship necessitates being as broken down into parts. God as the whole of being transcends this relative particulation.

If comparing is what you recommend, then Yahweh/Jesus, by most measures, is one big p**** of god, if one looks from a moral perspective.

Regards
DL
If morality is subjective then your measurement of God from said moral stance is subjective. You are spouting off opinions as facts.
I speak of facts.

You must think Christianity has set a high moral bar, in spite of having a genocidal p**** of a god and a homophobic and misogynous religion.

I have raised the bar, but if you are happy with a satanic god, go Christian and join the other immoral people.

Regards
DL
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Greatest I am wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:38 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:45 pm

Regards
DL
I speak of facts.

You must think Christianity has set a high moral bar, in spite of having a genocidal p**** of a god and a homophobic and misogynous religion.

I have raised the bar, but if you are happy with a satanic god, go Christian and join the other immoral people.

Regards
DL
Yet your morality is determined by you thus is subjective opinion.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Yes, an opinion that has never been refuted by Christians, who always run from moral discussions because they cannot win them.

If they could, they would not have had to grow Christianity with inquisitions, murder and burnings of better holy books.

Regards
DL
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Greatest I am wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:44 pm Yes, an opinion that has never been refuted by Christians, who always run from moral discussions because they cannot win them.

If they could, they would not have had to grow Christianity with inquisitions, murder and burnings of better holy books.

Regards
DL
If it is subjective then your morality is not factual, ie based upon universals; therefore your judgements are strictly your own and not governed by an objective source. Your criticisms are merely a personal whim.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

trokanmariel wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:03 pm I have a logical problem, with not the existence of but the concept of God; God is a human-Earth word, and, as such, any true God would be faced with the problem of the convenience of the correlation, between themself and the happenchance that their reality was a fictional word made up by humans.
If God is the creator and man is made in the image of God then man is a creator; therefore the creation of the term "God" is man working in image of the creator with the creator creating the creator through the created.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:31 pm
If God is the creator and man is made in the image of God then man is a creator; therefore the creation of the term "God" is man working in image of the creator with the creator creating the creator through the created.
I don't know how the latter part of your chronology dispels my own notion; could you break it down a bit more?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:29 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:44 pm Yes, an opinion that has never been refuted by Christians, who always run from moral discussions because they cannot win them.

Regards
DL
If it is subjective then your morality is not factual, ie based upon universals; therefore your judgements are strictly your own and not governed by an objective source. Your criticisms are merely a personal whim.
Spoken like one who fears discussing moral.

Sure they are subjective, but better than 70% of us world wide think the same way, and you and I would not likely disagree on most moral tenets unless you are a immoral and brain dead believer.

That is factual.

Regards
DL
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

trokanmariel wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:57 pm
I don't know how the latter part of your chronology dispels my own notion; could you break it down a bit more?
It doesn't dispel it. If I read your argument correctly, and I may not have, you are stating that God exists but God may be misinterpreted by man's creation of what he calls God. What I am saying is that any interpretation of God would occur through man which is made in the image of God. This interpretation reflects God's ability to create through man's ability to create thus any creation of Man is a creation of God.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Greatest I am wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:56 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:29 pm

Regards
DL
Spoken like one who fears discussing moral.

Sure they are subjective, but better than 70% of us world wide think the same way, and you and I would not likely disagree on most moral tenets unless you are a immoral and brain dead believer.

That is factual.

Regards
DL
Thus morality is based on personal whim and the majority of people follow a morality based upon their own spirits and appetites.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:44 pm

It doesn't dispel it. If I read your argument correctly, and I may not have, you are stating that God exists but God may be misinterpreted by man's creation of what he calls God. What I am saying is that any interpretation of God would occur through man which is made in the image of God. This interpretation reflects God's ability to create through man's ability to create thus any creation of Man is a creation of God.
"but God may be misinterpreted by man's creation of what he calls God": not so much misinterpreted, but that it's a concept-proof, for God to know themself as God, when the word is inherently human
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

trokanmariel wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:22 pm

"but God may be misinterpreted by man's creation of what he calls God": not so much misinterpreted, but that it's a concept-proof, for God to know themself as God, when the word is inherently human
That is the thing, God conceptualizes and man conceptualizes due to his inherent image as God. Conceptualization is the application of boundaries to create an individual state. While man may conceptualize something not God as God this misapplication of conceptualization still mandates a form of correct conceptualization to occur: in calling what is not God "God" man is still divinizing a portion of creation which is still an extension of God.

Even in being mistaken there is still a degree of truth in the mistake.

The perfect conceptualization is that of "everything" as this totality allows for all of being to be observed as connected through a single source, ie "the All". "Everything" or "Totality" is the ultimate concept which encompasses being; as encompassing being we can see being exist through the ultimate limit, ie "God".
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:22 pm

That is the thing, God conceptualizes and man conceptualizes due to his inherent image as God. Conceptualization is the application of boundaries to create an individual state. While man may conceptualize something not God as God this misapplication of conceptualization still mandates a form of correct conceptualization to occur: in calling what is not God "God" man is still divinizing a portion of creation which is still an extension of God.

Even in being mistaken there is still a degree of truth in the mistake.

The perfect conceptualization is that of "everything" as this totality allows for all of being to be observed as connected through a single source, ie "the All". "Everything" or "Totality" is the ultimate concept which encompasses being; as encompassing being we can see being exist through the ultimate limit, ie "God".
I think that you have argued a defense for God, along the lines of perfection coming from evolution. Which is difficult to reconcile with.

That being said, I enjoyed reading your reply