Religion is Man- Made

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AlexW

Re: Religion is Man- Made

Post by AlexW »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:41 pm I hate physical pain and the suffering that arises with that pain. Words, never hurt me, I can take verbal abuse, I've had plenty of it on this forum, it's like water off a ducks back, simply because I am able to separate myself from conceptual meaning.

It's lush to lash out at other people, otherwise, if we didn't enjoy it, we'd stop doing it.
Just because something doesn't hurt you it doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt others - I find the way you talk to me (and others) painful, no matter if you understand that or not. You might be numb and insensitive to verbal abuse - I am not.

I have tried to explain this to you multiple times, yet you continue... you don't want to understand (or are incapable of it) and are obviously finding it "lush to lash out at other people".
It makes me pretty sad, because I thought that you were actually a decent human being (if there is such a thing), but you have proven me wrong.
I wish you good luck, have "fun" lashing out at others and I hope that somewhen you will understand that violence has many faces (and verbal violence is a very ugly one) and that it is not good enough to reject one side of it and practice the other.

I am not a Buddhist, but I think Buddha was on to something when he defined the steps of the Noble Eightfold Path:
Right Understanding, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration.
They only work together, like a wheel needs all its spokes to be in place to function and find balance when under way - I hope you will find this balance somewhen too...

This my last post to you - DAM blocked.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

Belinda wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:35 pm It is a good point you make but it is not so much individual words that make what is said aggressive, it's the meaning intended.

I think that sweary words can be meant to indicate belonging to a social group that uses sweary words. Usually when people are meeting face to face they alter their language to fit the occasion and the company, I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing that people have online aliases and personas that are reserved for forums.
Why do you defend people who are obviously violent towards others? Why do you try to make up reasons to justify it? Are you in some way related (besides being female and seem to like looking down on men)?

A punch in the face is a punch in the face - it can't be misunderstood.
Calling someone an A-hole and whatever else, can't be misunderstood either - there is no positive meaning attached to what has been said.
Belinda wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:35 pm I find that I am not offended by swear words and images; I do recognise that some others are. I am sure people who swear on this forum have their own reasons for doing so, and I think that DAM's words are chosen to add emphasis to her opinions.
It does surprise me that ordinarily sophisticated adults are offended by harmless insults. It is not as if these injure your reputation,or livelihood, or social life
It actually does surprise me that "sophisticated adults" are not insulted by so called "harmless" insults!
Are you so numb to verbal abuse (and violence in general) that you condone it?

I think that most people actually are insulted by these "harmless insults", yet they hide it and vent their anger by insulting the insulter - then the insulter will insult more and there we go... if we weren't on an internet forum, but in a pub, people would soon shove a glass into the insulters face...

Here I say it again (this time shouting):
BEING ON AN INTERNET FORUM IS NO EXCUSE FOR BEING INSULTING!
Go to the pub around the corner and try it there!
See how long it will take you before someone doesn't find your insults that harmless anymore.
Maybe physical face to face contact is the only way to learn what is actually acceptable and what is not...

Hiding behind avatars and internet anonymity makes people strong and bold, they do what they would otherwise never do.
But, is this really a good thing?
I don't think so!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

AlexW wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:11 am Are you so numb to verbal abuse (and violence in general) that you condone it?
I think sometimes it's difficult to determine who started what on the Internet. I take it DAM insulted you unprovoked?
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:24 am
AlexW wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:11 am Are you so numb to verbal abuse (and violence in general) that you condone it?
I think sometimes it's difficult to determine who started what on the Internet. I take it DAM insulted you unprovoked?
As far as I can tell, yes. I generally avoid insulting people - its simply not how I like to communicate.
I think its bad manners and also cowardly to insult people on internet forums - there is nothing good or positive about it.
I think people on inet forums should communicate as if they were actually talking to someone physically sitting next to them - the insults and strong language would immediately subside to a trickle.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

AlexW wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:07 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:24 am
As far as I can tell, yes. I generally avoid insulting people - its simply not how I like to communicate.
I think its bad manners and also cowardly to insult people on internet forums - there is nothing good or positive about it.
I think people on inet forums should communicate as if they were actually talking to someone physically sitting next to them - the insults and strong language would immediately subside to a trickle.
Sometimes people just rub each other the wrong way when they don't realize it. Can you pinpoint where you were insulted unprovoked? I mean, can you be sure you weren't condescending in a post to DAM or rudely correcting him/her before s/he started insulting you? There are unhappy people out there in the world and sometimes communication (especially typed without non-verbal queues) gets misunderstood.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

Just scan through the last few pages... this might be a good place to start:
viewtopic.php?p=520056#p520056
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:13 am Sometimes people just rub each other the wrong way when they don't realize it. Can you pinpoint where you were insulted unprovoked? I mean, can you be sure you weren't condescending in a post to DAM or rudely correcting him/her before s/he started insulting you? There are unhappy people out there in the world and sometimes communication (especially typed without non-verbal queues) gets misunderstood.
Oh c'mon Gary... have you been paying attention to DAM's posts? She has been going off on everyone lately. Just scan through her comments and insults to other people, and perhaps you will see. If anyone simply talks to her, she calls them dumb or stupid. Insults should be handed out with reasonable discrimination. Hers are not... she's just ranting and spewing in all directions at everyone... which reduces her "opinions" to nothing more than the manic screaming of a psycho woman. It's not that hard to have a reasonable exchange, but she doesn't want to. Her trip. I've been thinking of putting her on Ignore too because she has been too flipped out to say anything compelling or interesting -- rather, it's just dark, self-indulgent noise.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:39 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:13 am Sometimes people just rub each other the wrong way when they don't realize it. Can you pinpoint where you were insulted unprovoked? I mean, can you be sure you weren't condescending in a post to DAM or rudely correcting him/her before s/he started insulting you? There are unhappy people out there in the world and sometimes communication (especially typed without non-verbal queues) gets misunderstood.
Oh c'mon Gary... have you been paying attention to DAM's posts? She has been going off on everyone lately. Just scan through her comments and insults to other people, and perhaps you will see. If anyone simply talks to her, she calls them dumb or stupid. Insults should be handed out with reasonable discrimination. Hers are not... she's just ranting and spewing in all directions at everyone... which reduces her "opinions" to nothing more than the manic screaming of a psycho woman. It's not that hard to have a reasonable exchange, but she doesn't want to. Her trip. I've been thinking of putting her on Ignore too because she has been too flipped out to say anything compelling or interesting -- rather, it's just dark, self-indulgent noise.
To be honest, I think DAM is just in a really bad place. I can identify with that right now. I don't think you or Alex are "stupid." Just because someone calls you "stupid" doesn't make it so. And considering how morbid and dark some of her posts are, I don't think she is in a position to change her ways, at least not now.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:09 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:49 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:13 pm Why?
It could possibly be very interesting.
Imagine that.
I can understand why you don't want your extreme manic states talking to each other while we watch, as it will show how fabricated and self-serving all of it is. I was hoping you might demonstrate your ability to step back and bravely play along, to show what else you are made of. But no, the word-salad-spinner only serves up crap. I've wondered what may have happened to send you into this phase lately, but you don't seem capable of having a reasonable conversation or of honest reflection that isn't all about your selfish resentment and hate toward life and everyone else. Charming... and meaningless.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

AlexW wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:24 am Just scan through the last few pages... this might be a good place to start:
viewtopic.php?p=520056#p520056
I went to the very first post you linked to.

DAM seems to be in a bad place right now, so perhaps when you say:
what you seem to be doing is not accepting reality for what it really is (otherwise you would not have a negative opinion about it),
So you seem to be saying she has an incorrect view of reality. That's probably not something she wants to hear right now. When a person is in a dark place, sometimes the only thing to cling to is the belief that we see the world for what it really is. And who is to say the world isn't a cruel and terrible place?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:50 am To be honest, I think DAM is just in a really bad place. I can identify with that right now. I don't think you or Alex are "stupid." Just because someone calls you "stupid" doesn't make it so. And considering how morbid and dark some of her posts are, I don't think she is in a position to change her ways, at least not now.
I agree with what you are saying, Gary. But this is a philosophy forum, not her personal therapy clinic. It's not up to anyone else to justify why they don't deserve her unwarranted and indiscriminate spewing at them. People who need counseling or medication or any kind of supportive therapy should go get it... if they have any intelligence to do so. If not, then they evidently can't be considered responsible enough for themselves.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:57 am So you seem to be saying she has an incorrect view of reality. That's probably not something she wants to hear right now. When a person is in a dark place, sometimes the only thing to cling to is the belief that we see the world for what it really is. And who is to say the world isn't a cruel and terrible place?
As I see it, no "view of reality" is correct or incorrect - simply because reality is neither good or bad or anything else that could be defined using concepts.
If one is in a dark place then this place is always inside ones head - no place else.

And yes, she might well be in a "dark place", but she also says that this is exactly where she wants to be and what she apparently enjoys...
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:05 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:50 am To be honest, I think DAM is just in a really bad place. I can identify with that right now. I don't think you or Alex are "stupid." Just because someone calls you "stupid" doesn't make it so. And considering how morbid and dark some of her posts are, I don't think she is in a position to change her ways, at least not now.
I agree with what you are saying, Gary. But this is a philosophy forum, not her personal therapy clinic. It's not up to anyone else to justify why they don't deserve her unwarranted and indiscriminate spewing at them. People who need counseling or medication or any kind of supportive therapy should go get it... if they have any intelligence to do so. If not, then they evidently can't be considered responsible enough for themselves.
A philosophy forum seems as good a place as anywhere else to discuss one's world views. Not everyone has access to a therapist and there's really no reason why anyone can't relate their views to others without the presence of a Hazmat team or someone in radiation-proof clothing or whatever it is that the so-called "mentally ill" need to be handled with. This is life. This is reality. A philosopher should be able to deal with it if they really are better than those with bad views.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

AlexW wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:08 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:57 am So you seem to be saying she has an incorrect view of reality. That's probably not something she wants to hear right now. When a person is in a dark place, sometimes the only thing to cling to is the belief that we see the world for what it really is. And who is to say the world isn't a cruel and terrible place?
As I see it, no "view of reality" is correct or incorrect - simply because reality is neither good or bad or anything else that could be defined using
So if no view of reality is correct or incorrect then, with all due respect, who are you to tell someone they have an incorrect view of reality?
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:12 am So if no view of reality is correct or incorrect then, with all due respect, who are you to tell someone they have an incorrect view of reality?
I told/reminded her because she actually knows this herself - yet she seems to have decided to ignore this understanding and has locked herself in a "dark place". It was an (failed) attempt of getting her out of this place.