Religion is Man- Made

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: Religion is Man- Made

Post by Dubious »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:33 am
Dubious wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:33 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:49 pm
Promises, promises!

I've been living in eager anticipation of this promised climate change since the 60's. I love the tropics, and keep moving south, and so far the climate just keeps getting cooler. Just ten years ago when I moved to South Carolina, the first summer we had weeks of weather in the high 90s and low 100s. Not one summer has been that warm since.

Some people will believe just anything.
Sorry! There isn't enough data here compared to the data available to negate climate change; try again if you like. But you're right that some people will believe just anything...especially if you believed it long enough.
I don't care if you believe there is global warming. I keep hoping you're right. I'll ask you, as I do everyone else who keeps promising it's going to be warmer, when am I going to see it? I've been waiting for it for over 40 years and there isn't any yet.

Unlike you, I want it to be warmer. Just because you don't like the idea, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Just think about growing oranges and coconuts in Canada, and how much more tropical beach front property there will be, to say nothing of all the money people will save on heating bills.
If what only you experience is true then I guess it must be so. Forget about what's happening in those places where you are not.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:56 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:55 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:55 pm
There is no future for humans in Space.
:lol: Got to admire their optimism though.

The Musks, and the Branson's to name but a few, are just Boys with new Toys. Money is cheap.
Toys is right.
Since the high spot in human space exploration Apollo 11-17 we'd been promised Moon bases, orbital hotels and lunar tourism by the year 2001.
None of this happened. If it had been economically viable it would have happened. It turns out that manned space flight is a lot more difficult and expensive. - and dangerous
The other thing is that there is very little point.
Whilst Elon Musk tries to "get his life in perspective" by visiting space, he might be better off visiting a children's hospital or food bank.
“Soon you'll be ashes or bones. A mere name at most - and even that is just a sound, an echo. The things we want in life are empty, stale, trivial.”
Marcus Aurelius

Life is the enemy..first it imprisons you then it kills you.

Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:25 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:56 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:55 am

:lol: Got to admire their optimism though.

The Musks, and the Branson's to name but a few, are just Boys with new Toys. Money is cheap.
Toys is right.
Since the high spot in human space exploration Apollo 11-17 we'd been promised Moon bases, orbital hotels and lunar tourism by the year 2001.
None of this happened. If it had been economically viable it would have happened. It turns out that manned space flight is a lot more difficult and expensive. - and dangerous
The other thing is that there is very little point.
Whilst Elon Musk tries to "get his life in perspective" by visiting space, he might be better off visiting a children's hospital or food bank.
“Soon you'll be ashes or bones. A mere name at most - and even that is just a sound, an echo. The things we want in life are empty, stale, trivial.”
Marcus Aurelius

Life is the enemy..first it imprisons you then it kills you.

I little pesimistic for my tastes.
Either enjoy life, such as it is, or commit suicide..
SImples!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:13 am
SImples!
How very pesimistic of you to say.

My life is perfectly on track, it's always been heading in the right direction, always steering me right where I want to go. Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who is aware of this truth.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Dubious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:45 am If what only you experience is true then I guess it must be so. Forget about what's happening in those places where you are not.
Oh, I admit it's a small planet, as planets go. But so far I haven't found any place in it which has its own climate independent from the rest--it really is global--and I haven't found any place that is any warmer. If you know of one, please let me know and I'll move there. But it really has to be warmer, you know. Not just warmer for a year or two or warmer than usual for a few months. That happens all the time everywhere. And I don't mean one or two degrees warmer. I mean someplace that is actually ten or fifteen degrees warmer all year round for five years or more. You know any place like that?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:21 am
Sculptor wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:13 am
SImples!
How very pesimistic of you to say.
Why pesimistic?

My life is perfectly on track, it's always been heading in the right direction, always steering me right where I want to go. Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who is aware of this truth.
Oh how perfect of you! Have you ever heard of hybris?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:14 pm
Dubious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:45 am If what only you experience is true then I guess it must be so. Forget about what's happening in those places where you are not.
Oh, I admit it's a small planet, as planets go. But so far I haven't found any place in it which has its own climate independent from the rest--it really is global--and I haven't found any place that is any warmer. If you know of one, please let me know and I'll move there. But it really has to be warmer, you know. Not just warmer for a year or two or warmer than usual for a few months. That happens all the time everywhere. And I don't mean one or two degrees warmer. I mean someplace that is actually ten or fifteen degrees warmer all year round for five years or more. You know any place like that?

Indeed I do. It's in a place called hell. Based on your description you may like it there. No doubt it will exceed your expectations!
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Dubious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:48 pm
Indeed I do. It's in a place called hell. Based on your description you may like it there. No doubt it will exceed your expectations!
Well, I'm not looking for another world. I'm afraid those who have totally screwed up their lives in this world, believing they'll get a second chance in another world, have just wasted the only life they're ever going to have.

"Heaven for climate, Hell for society." --Mark Twain

I'm glad there really is no life after this one. I know those who are certain they are the future citizens of paradise and I'd rather be in Hell than have to spend eternity with such self-righteous bores.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:51 pm
Well, I'm not looking for another world. I'm afraid those who have totally screwed up their lives in this world, believing they'll get a second chance in another world, have just wasted the only life they're ever going to have.

I'm glad there really is no life after this one. I know those who are certain they are the future citizens of paradise and I'd rather be in Hell than have to spend eternity with such self-righteous bores.
Well, at least we see eye-to-eye on one thing. There are certain to be more philosophy debates in hell than in heaven since that may call into question any form of omnipotence. God wouldn't like that!
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Dubious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:41 pm

Well, at least we see eye-to-eye on one thing. There are certain to be more philosophy debates in hell than in heaven since that may call into question any form of omnipotence. God wouldn't like that!
I'm being neither sarcastic or snyde, because you've been very decent in your comments. If there were a heaven, I think you would deserve it.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:49 am
Dubious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:41 pm

I'm being neither sarcastic or snyde, because you've been very decent in your comments. If there were a heaven, I think you would deserve it.
...there's something about this statement which doesn't sound right! If it was meant as a mild form of sarcasm then congrats...at least there's someone who understands something of the art.

But anyway, I wish for neither of these opposites. The neutrality of oblivion suits me just fine. It's where I came from and while there, had no reason to complain...not even once! I have no objection to being home once again.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:20 pm Why pesimistic?
Because you brought the idea to the table, not me.

I was only expressing the truth of reality. As I always do. Being aware of what's really going on here, doesn't mean there is no enjoyment in life to be experienced because obviously there is. I personally just happen to be aware of what's really happening here, I'm under no illusion that life for any sentient creature is a winning game. I'm not afraid to say that out loud. I see both sides of reality, the worse that can happen and the very best that can happen. But what ever happens. We're all basically screwed, no one gets out of here alive. I make no apologies for that statement. I welcome all sides of reality simply because I understand that no one alive has ever chosen to be born, the choice has been made for them. People are forced into a world they did not consent to, they have no other choice but to endure it. Or they can terminate their life, and that would be like switching off the electricity supply to the TV...the picture disappears. It's the same for consciousness. Conscious sentient organisms are like the images on the TV. They're either animated, or they are switched off.

Also, committing suicide is a grotesque form of intentional violence to yourself. It's not a natural law. The sole purpose of any living organism is to survive. That's what evolution does, it's an out of control mass of self replicating dna molecules.
DAM:

Sculptor wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:20 pmOh how perfect of you! Have you ever heard of hybris?
Never heard of hybris no. What is it?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dubious wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:27 am
But anyway, I wish for neither of these opposites. The neutrality of oblivion suits me just fine. It's where I came from and while there, had no reason to complain...not even once! I have no objection to being home once again.
Healthy insights expressed Dubious...thanks!

The way I personally see things....is that we are always home, whether we are alive or dead, there is only home. In fact, homelessness is our only home. You are never not here. Consciousness can appear as any experience, be it a cow, or a rat, or a crocodile, or a human being.

The problem with religious thinkers, is that they believe in some kind of '' eternal life '' ...whatever that is supposed to mean, god only knows...but imagine living forever. Now, the very idea of living forever would be in my personal opinion, my worse nightmare come true ever.

Until religious thinkers are able to explain in detail .... what exactly and precisely is being suggested in the following statement ...bolded here > Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.

Until they explain this statement fully so that it is understood by everyone in a way that 2 + 2 = 4 is understood by everyone. Then they're just empty meaningless words.

Notice, religious kooks just believe any old shit ... without really knowing what it is they are believing. And to think that these same people who believe in 'eternal life' also believe they are above the intelligence of lower creatures, I find that claim very amusing.

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:52 am Until religious thinkers are able to explain in detail .... what exactly and precisely is being suggested in the following statement ...bolded here > Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.

Until they explain this statement fully so that it is understood by everyone in a way that 2 + 2 = 4 is understood by everyone. Then they're just empty meaningless words.
Oh, well then allow me to have a crack.

Apart from the obvious in that statement, that at one point Jesus is talking to a 'her' and then stating 'he'. Let's assume wo/man are in the same league with ref to the 'he that believeth in me'.

We are all resurrected - hence "though he were dead" - answer 1.
"yet shall he live" := as in right now, you and I were once dead, but have been resurrected -hence, yet we live. - answer 2.
..and us that are alive, and have the sentience and intelligence to believe in this man Jesus (that went to his death stating he is the son of God, inspiring people to have faith in love and resurrection)
"shall never die" - ergo - become a SAGE - don't keep dying and having ALL your previous knowledge wiped clean to be reborn EVERY time, to learn the hard way, ALL over again, and again etc.. - answer 3.

Comprehende?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 am
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:52 am Until religious thinkers are able to explain in detail .... what exactly and precisely is being suggested in the following statement ...bolded here > Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.

Oh, well then allow me to have a crack.

Apart from the obvious in that statement, that at one point Jesus is talking to a 'her' and then stating 'he'. Let's assume wo/man are in the same league with ref to the 'he that believeth in me'.

We are all resurrected - hence "though he were dead" - answer 1.
"yet shall he live" := as in right now, you and I were once dead, but have been resurrected -hence, yet we live. - answer 2.
..and us that are alive, and have the sentience and intelligence to believe in this man Jesus (that went to his death stating he is the son of God, inspiring people to have faith in love and resurrection)
"shall never die" - ergo - become a SAGE - don't keep dying and having ALL your previous knowledge wiped clean to be reborn EVERY time, to learn the hard way, ALL over again, and again etc.. - answer 3.

Comprehende?
You're explanations have failed. What you have presented are your own self bias beliefs which have no proofs other than what you imagine to be real.

But then I never expected anything more than utter BS from someone like you. Someone like you is just parroting what someone else has believed. Maybe you have tweaked the story to fit your own personal model to suit your own preferences, but it's all just more of the same BS, but thanks for the effort. :D