Judge Not?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Judge Not?

Post by Gary Childress »

I know the Christian tradition says "judge not, lest ye be judged" but I see a lot of people posting on the Internet judging others harshly for crimes and things like that. I do it sometimes too.

For example, I saw a video on Nextdoor.com of a kid (must have been in his early teens, if even that) who lit some kind of firework on someone's doorstep. It looked like it could have caught the house on fire, but luckily it didn't. The guy who posted the video was the inhabitant of the house and he was pretty pissed about it (for obvious and understandable reasons).

Part of me wants to condemn the kid and the other part looks at that kid and thinks what a tragedy it is that the kid will probably never find happiness and will probably just end up in prison or the morgue.

I wonder how it must feel to live like that kid. Apparently, according to the person whose house it was, the kid's parents both had multiple felonies too. I wonder if the kid even knows where he's headed or if he's just blinded by anger and resentment? I mean, he didn't choose to have parents like that.

At the same time, I wonder how it is to be the person whose house could have potentially been burned down. He must feel violated and threatened. I want to side with him alone but in a sense, both seem to be victims. The kid seems to be a victim of having been born to people who probably should never have had children. Heck, perhaps the kid's parents were in the same position when they were young.

I guess the really strange thing to me is that I find myself getting angry at criminals and just wanting to punish them in the worst way, even though I'm not the one who had his house possibly almost burned down.

My question is, is it wrong for me to feel that way? Is it wrong for me to be angry toward another person's tormentor like that? I feel like I want to throw stones at the kid or something but I realize it's not very Christian of me to feel that way.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
seeds

Re: Judge Not?

Post by seeds »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 am ...I guess the really strange thing to me is that I find myself getting angry at criminals and just wanting to punish them in the worst way, even though I'm not the one who had his house possibly almost burned down.

My question is, is it wrong for me to feel that way? Is it wrong for me to be angry toward another person's tormentor like that? I feel like I want to throw stones at the kid or something but I realize it's not very Christian of me to feel that way.

No, it is not wrong for you to feel that way.

Indeed, even "fantasy" justice, which, in the absence of real justice, can have a cathartic effect. I mean, think of how much we enjoy watching "superhero" movies where the evil-doers are beaten to bloody pulps.

The point is that we have every right to mete-out justice on earth in accordance with human laws and ethics.

However, the problem arises when we fail to heed yet another Biblical injunction:...
"...And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?..."
In other words, "Judge not, lest ye be judged" means that from God's perspective, you yourself may be guilty of something that you are blind to...

...(such as being a complicit [plunder-sharing] member of a society whose elected leaders dispatch tax-supported armed thugs around the world who torture and murder other humans on your behalf, as was mentioned in your other thread).

So at least be cognizant of that fact and try to keep one eye in the mirror.

Again, for the sake of societal order, it is imperative that we dole-out justice and punishments where such is due.

On the other hand, when it comes to the notion of some kind of eternal punishment for our actions on earth, take a look at what I am suggesting in the following illustration...

The blurry captions read as follows...
...and just as we on earth would not dream of punishing a newly born child for its actions in its mother's womb as it kicked, poked, and pummeled its twin sibling...
...neither would God think of punishing his newly born children in true reality for their actions in his womb. The difference in the two dimensions is that profound...
_______
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 am I know the Christian tradition says "judge not, lest ye be judged" ...My question is, is it wrong for me to feel that way? Is it wrong for me to be angry toward another person's tormentor like that? I feel like I want to throw stones at the kid or something but I realize it's not very Christian of me to feel that way.

Well, it's interesting that everybody seems to know that one verse, but not the fact that twice as many verses talk about things that should be "judged." Some should, and some shouldn't. Christians are encouraged not to judge others, but encouraged to judge themselves (1 Cor. 11:31), and even to identify and indict sin in each other, so as not to condone anything that brings God's name into disrepute. (1 Cor. 5:12) But we're not encouraged to judge people who are not us and are not Christians. For the world, we leave all judgment to the Judge. (1 Cor. 4:5)

We don't know the kid's real state. He may be a nice kid who played a stupid prank that could have hurt somebody. But kids do that, sometimes. Of course, it doesn't mean that if he had been caught he shouldn't be prosecuted or "judged" by the judicial system...that could actually be a case of mercy, because maybe the kid needs to learn the consequences of his actions, so he doesn't go and do something worse. Or it could be that having the fear of judgment would be enough to straighten him out, and even the legal system could give him a break. But that's for the legal system, not for us to decide.

Your feeling may be entirely justified, Gary. But Christians are held to a higher standard, so maybe we really need to learn the patience involved in not judging, in this case.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 am I know the Christian tradition says "judge not, lest ye be judged" but I see a lot of people posting on the Internet judging others harshly for crimes and things like that. I do it sometimes too.

For example, I saw a video on Nextdoor.com of a kid (must have been in his early teens, if even that) who lit some kind of firework on someone's doorstep. It looked like it could have caught the house on fire, but luckily it didn't. The guy who posted the video was the inhabitant of the house and he was pretty pissed about it (for obvious and understandable reasons).

Part of me wants to condemn the kid and the other part looks at that kid and thinks what a tragedy it is that the kid will probably never find happiness and will probably just end up in prison or the morgue.

I wonder how it must feel to live like that kid. Apparently, according to the person whose house it was, the kid's parents both had multiple felonies too. I wonder if the kid even knows where he's headed or if he's just blinded by anger and resentment? I mean, he didn't choose to have parents like that.

At the same time, I wonder how it is to be the person whose house could have potentially been burned down. He must feel violated and threatened. I want to side with him alone but in a sense, both seem to be victims. The kid seems to be a victim of having been born to people who probably should never have had children. Heck, perhaps the kid's parents were in the same position when they were young.

I guess the really strange thing to me is that I find myself getting angry at criminals and just wanting to punish them in the worst way, even though I'm not the one who had his house possibly almost burned down.

last 30 yr the Chrsitan mantra is "judge not" - and they ignoer the letter "lest you be judged" (by the same count).

i'm fine with judging, as long as you ain't a fking hypocrite. so judge - but first judge yourself upon the same offense you are juding others - if you do that, then i'm pergfectly fine with it.

--- in fact i hate the whole "judge not" almost as much as the opposit - hypocrisy - fr the former mans i have no right to judge you even after i've judge myself upon the same measure! - which means there are no standards - and i just canot affirm that concept.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 am I know the Christian tradition says "judge not, lest ye be judged" but I see a lot of people posting on the Internet judging others harshly for crimes and things like that. I do it sometimes too.

if you're going to go by judge not least ye be judged then who's the judge?

surly no one is expected to justify the act, therefore should it be condemned? the owner of the house is the one offended, so really its on him to forgive if that's what the situation calls for.

but since you're using biblical reference, the real case is one should bring the matter before the Lord and not only ask for mercy for one's self but for the offender. then express your problem. the thing is one has to expect that the Lord could actually have mercy on that person, but on the other hand He is the Judge therefore He doesn't have to have mercy on the offender.

some of the greatest movers of the gospel message sot God's mercy for the ones who killed them.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 am Part of me wants to condemn the kid and the other part looks at that kid and thinks what a tragedy it is that the kid will probably never find happiness and will probably just end up in prison or the morgue.
Good grief. When I was a boy there were fireworks everywhere, especially in early summer and we put them everywhere. Got yelled at a few times for being a little stupid, but all kids do some stupid things. It's called learning by experience.

Nobody got hurt and we all grew up to be responsible individuals, just like this kid probably will, unless he goes to public school, which just may turn him into a typical American welfare recipient and useless bum.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Pelosi's bishop calls for ex-communication of pols now pushing for abortion
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... rtion.html

Comment:
Excellent. Catholocism and abortion are incompatable and the hypocrisy of Pelosi and Biden should earn ire, not votes.

Judge them to be ... Panderers.