Which is More Evil?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Which is More Evil?

Post by Gary Childress »

Which is more evil?

1) Being respectful to God but murdering a human being because you could make a profit off of it.

OR

2) Saying you hate God because your girlfriend ditched you and left you lonely and anguished, causing you to lash out at God, but not doing harm to other humans?

I get the picture sometimes that cursing God is considered a far greater crime to the religious. And yet, I would think that being angry at God does far less real harm than murdering another human being. Is impiety against an immortal being really a worse crime than doing harm to other humans?

Thoughts?
Immanuel Can

Re: Which is More Evil?

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:34 am Which is more evil?

1) Being respectful to God but murdering a human being because you could make a profit off of it.
Well, the "being respectful" part has no meaning at all, if you could go on and murder human beings for profit...so that's not even a coherent proposition, Gary.
OR

2) Saying you hate God because your girlfriend ditched you and left you lonely and anguished, causing you to lash out at God, but not doing harm to other humans?
"Saying"?

I think there's a lot you can "say" to God...practically anything honest or rational, and He can deal with that. It's not so much being upset with what one perceives God to have "allowed" that's the problem: the problem is not being willing to talk honestly at all.
Is impiety against an immortal being really a worse crime than doing harm to other humans?

Thoughts?
Jesus was actually asked about this.

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. And one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him: “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ Upon these two commandments hang the whole Law and the Prophets.” (Matt 22:32-40)

Two commandments. The first is love for God. But the second, says Jesus, is "like it." That is, the two are related or connected, such that they harmonize with each other and form a whole upon which, says Jesus "the whole Law and the Prophets" depend. Get those two things right, and you have the total package: eliminate one, and part of that package is missing.

So even though the first commandment is "love God," you can't really do that without the second, because the God you're supposed to be loving requires that love to be expressed in it: "love your neighbour as much as you love yourself."

Post by Age »

OR

I get the picture sometimes that cursing God is considered a far greater crime to the religious. And yet, I would think that being angry at God does far less real harm than murdering another human being. Is impiety against an immortal being really a worse crime than doing harm to other humans?

Thoughts?
How do you define 'evil' here?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

OR

Thoughts?
SORRY!!!!
Last edited by attofishpi on Mon May 10, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:39 am
Letting U exist...
Hey, Gary's a good guy, Atto...let him be.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

OR

Thoughts?
Evil is in the eye of the beholder.
Case 1 is double evil.
2) is just stupid.
If you curse god you are just trying to shift blame from yourself. Respecting god whilst killing is an other aspect of the same thing.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

OR

Thoughts?
Letting U exist cos U R obviously a C_U_N_T.
Spoken like a true Christian
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

SORRY GARY - bad day with the family - which I think have now disowned me (thank fuck) and a bottle of Jamesons - didn't realise until just now that I even posted that nasty comment.
..but Sculptor IS one of those things that I called U.
puto

Post by puto »

The Ten Commandments were ordered for a certain purpose. Commands are ordered differently in Jewish tradition; Eastern Orthodoxy, Anglican, and most Protestant Churches; Roman Catholic and Lutheran Churches. The orders of the commandments were to the Lord, or how to treat other people. Having, been covenants for the Levites. Reading, the literature and then commenting on it may help. Taking, a class, and actually learning about the subject. Take notes, and yes, discourse, of course. Subjectivity is one view and the other is objectivity. "Knowledge is power," wrote Locke. Assertions bring about Cynics. When you can tell it is an opinion, then all respect is lost. Rationalism: Deductive reasoning is the only truth, and capable of discerning all truths. Empirical I am not, rational I am. Respecting, Locke and Hume as empirical philosophers, as they were rationalistic in their inference. An unsubsubstantited opinion is not stating an argument, it is only announcing a stance of a particular issue. Method, of which you were trying empiricism: Locke and Hume asked what are the materials which the mind furnished. What uses can we make of them? That the material consists of perceptions which are impressions and ideas. Use inference a followed by b. Using, evidence which may be direct or indirect, as I use the latter for reasoning. The Bible 'God exists' is true. Philosophy 'If God exists'. For an opinion to become a thesis it must be presented as a problem capable of being investigated. Blind interpretation is opinion. In a Cynical phrase, "That's my opinion, I could be wrong."
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

puto wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:35 pm The Ten Commandments were ordered for a certain purpose. Commands are ordered differently in Jewish tradition; Eastern Orthodoxy, Anglican, and most Protestant Churches; Roman Catholic and Lutheran Churches. The orders of the commandments were to the Lord, or how to treat other people. Having, been covenants for the Levites. Reading, the literature and then commenting on it may help. Taking, a class, and actually learning about the subject. Take notes, and yes, discourse, of course. Subjectivity is one view and the other is objectivity. "Knowledge is power," wrote Locke. Assertions bring about Cynics. When you can tell it is an opinion, then all respect is lost. Rationalism: Deductive reasoning is the only truth, and capable of discerning all truths. Empirical I am not, rational I am. Respecting, Locke and Hume as empirical philosophers, as they were rationalistic in their inference. An unsubsubstantited opinion is not stating an argument, it is only announcing a stance of a particular issue. Method, of which you were trying empiricism: Locke and Hume asked what are the materials which the mind furnished. What uses can we make of them? That the material consists of perceptions which are impressions and ideas. Use inference a followed by b. Using, evidence which may be direct or indirect, as I use the latter for reasoning. The Bible 'God exists' is true. Philosophy 'If God exists'. For an opinion to become a thesis it must be presented as a problem capable of being investigated. Blind interpretation is opinion. In a Cynical phrase, "That's my opinion, I could be wrong."
On any kind of level, were to to give a new human community the opportunity to lay out ten rules upon which to base their moral codes it is highly unlikely that they would come up this these ten.
A child could do better than whatever clown wrote these down in the first place.
Women children, animals, the vulnerable, the sick, the people - none of these get a mention. The first 4 are basically wasted on ensuring people bow down to god.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Sculptor wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:38 pm ...whatever clown wrote these down in the first place...
For all the gold in the Federal Reserve, you could not get me to trade places with you right now. No way.

Jesus said, "But I tell you that for every careless word that people speak, they will give an account of it on the day of judgment."

My suggestion is that you walk that back, walk it back fast, and walk it back carefully. You will be around to regret it, if you do not.
codirosso

Post by codirosso »

The first one (it's hypocrisy)

Have you heard of the attenuation and the context of sin? Of cold and emotional decisions? Of good and bad faith?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

OR

Thoughts?
1 for it remove the other man - now killed by you - to find god (assuming he was not saved when you killed him) =- in the future. i.e. by killing him you remove is freewill - in this realm (I personlly would like to have the saem freewill in the next "life" - but biblers say i will burn in Hell - regardless of whether i have frewil lor not in the after"life",
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:59 am

Well, the "being respectful" part has no meaning at all, if you could go on and murder human beings for profit...so that's not even a coherent proposition, Gary.
OR

"Saying"?

I think there's a lot you can "say" to God...practically anything honest or rational, and He can deal with that. It's not so much being upset with what one perceives God to have "allowed" that's the problem: the problem is not being willing to talk honestly at all.
Is impiety against an immortal being really a worse crime than doing harm to other humans?

Thoughts?
Jesus was actually asked about this.

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. And one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him: “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ Upon these two commandments hang the whole Law and the Prophets.” (Matt 22:32-40)

Two commandments. The first is love for God. But the second, says Jesus, is "like it." That is, the two are related or connected, such that they harmonize with each other and form a whole upon which, says Jesus "the whole Law and the Prophets" depend. Get those two things right, and you have the total package: eliminate one, and part of that package is missing.

So even though the first commandment is "love God," you can't really do that without the second, because the God you're supposed to be loving requires that love to be expressed in it: "love your neighbour as much as you love yourself."
agreed.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:33 pm
Letting U exist...
Hey, Gary's a good guy, Atto...let him be.
??