Understanding the religious mindset

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds

Re: Understanding the religious mindset

Post by seeds »

uwot wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:11 pm
seeds wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 pm...it is usually the circumstances of our birth that functions as one of the primary means by which ideological "mindsets" (be they religious or something else) are perpetuated.
You might be onto something there seeds. Of course, it could be a coincidence that christians, muslims, hindus, jews, buddhists and whatnot are dominant within clearly identifiable geographic boundaries.
Yes indeedy, just a "coincidence" (you tongue-in-cheeky little tart).

I personally like to think of it as being a situation where the world is just a big dark jungle that is covered by a thick green canopy. And underneath that canopy many jungle tribes evolved in distant isolation from each other. In which case, for a very long time, the tribes developed some strange and extremely divergent ideologies...

...(some of which involved head-hunting and even cannibalism).

Unfortunately, due to exponentially growing populations, the tribes, whose divergent ideologies are just too incompatible to mix with other tribes without problems,...

...(especially those doggone cannibals. I mean, inter-tribal child sleepovers never end well).

...are now encroaching on each other's jungle boundaries as they seek-out resources and food to support their respective populations.

So what's the solution, uwot? Time? Atomic bombs? The dawning of the Age of Aquarius? What?
_______
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

seeds wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 am
uwot wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:11 pm
seeds wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 pm...it is usually the circumstances of our birth that functions as one of the primary means by which ideological "mindsets" (be they religious or something else) are perpetuated.
You might be onto something there seeds. Of course, it could be a coincidence that christians, muslims, hindus, jews, buddhists and whatnot are dominant within clearly identifiable geographic boundaries.
Yes indeedy, just a "coincidence" (you tongue-in-cheeky little tart).

I personally like to think of it as being a situation where the world is just a big dark jungle that is covered by a thick green canopy. And underneath that canopy many jungle tribes evolved in distant isolation from each other. In which case, for a very long time, the tribes developed some strange and extremely divergent ideologies...

...(some of which involved head-hunting and even cannibalism).

Unfortunately, due to exponentially growing populations, the tribes, whose divergent ideologies are just too incompatible to mix with other tribes without problems,...

...(especially those doggone cannibals. I mean, inter-tribal child sleepovers never end well).

...are now encroaching on each other's jungle boundaries as they seek-out resources and food to support their respective populations.

So what's the solution, uwot? Time? Atomic bombs? The dawning of the Age of Aquarius? What?
_______
FUCK

U just might be the doopidist tho - please think of souls reincarnating .....and into the faith they have reincarnated into based on their prior belief.

In other words - atheists will be born into atheist parents. Wossoles will be born to wossoole parents etc.......

etc...
etcc...

etc...
etc..

EN_GLAND - came from wot?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

..or do I draw it back a smidgeon

BRITAIN

BR_it_AIN?

BRAIN
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

...nuffin much to fink about 4 simple folks

we sage cunts were just hopin there might be a 1 amongst ya that fought a little deeper,

:D
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

....oi

as long as those cunts dont bring down the ARCH

...o

...y

...AN_ARCH_Y...

...androcies would never bring down the KEY stone.

:P
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:10 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:16 am

Faith was required for knowledge of God's existence - reason then follows from the Truth of ITS existence.
That's easy - since god does not exist there is no need for faith that god exists.
So there is no need for "need".
AND THERE U HAVE IT!! - as an atheist U will never know the truth that GOD DOES EXIST.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Been there, done that, wrote the book, burned it.

Sculptor wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:10 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:16 am
Atheists cannot be true philosophers.
Atheists are the ONLY true philosophers.
Sculptor wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:12 pmFaith is the mind killer.
Faith is merely a belief - something that was asked of us at the outset as a path to the wisdom (the truth of God) - it does not then prevent scientific reasoning\methods from being applied.
Says who?
:D:D:D:D:D:D
seeds

Post by seeds »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:07 am U just might be the doopidist tho - please think of souls reincarnating .....and into the faith they have reincarnated into based on their prior belief.

In other words - atheists will be born into atheist parents. Wossoles will be born to wossoole parents etc.......

etc...
etcc...
atto, did you ever consider trying to carry on a conversation with someone without insulting them first?

And in response to the way you are using reincarnation to explain a person's current situation, according to your logic, the millions of children who are presently starving on earth must have been starving in a prior life, thus karmically consigning them to be reborn into the arms of starving parents.

And that, of course, flies in the face of the true meaning of karma which implies that in a prior life, they most likely would have been the opposite of what they are now (such as being gluttons or something similar).

How about this instead:

Due to the greed and apathy of millions of humans on earth creating an unfair distribution (and waste) of food and resources,...

...millions of other humans who are the victims of that imbalance (in Africa, for example) decide to partake in one of the very few pleasures available to them (sex) and thus a child is born - a soul that has no choice but to share in its parent's predicament of poverty and hunger...

However, again, according to your reincarnational logic, the children in that image must have been starving in a prior life.

The point is that (generally speaking) a Christian is a Christian, or a Muslim is a Muslim, or a Buddhist is a Buddhist, or an Atheist is an Atheist -- not because of their status in a prior life -- but because their respective parents had sex which resulted in the inevitable birth of a child who then adopts its parent's (and its tribe's) belief system by reason of the fact that it is intensely brainwashed into accepting said system from day one...

Furthermore, how do you think a soul comes into existence in the first place?

Do you just assume that some infinite number of souls have simply always existed and that there is no need to account for "how" they were awakened into life?
attofishpi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:29 am ...nuffin much to fink about 4 simple folks

we sage cunts were just hopin there might be a 1 amongst ya that fought a little deeper
Yeah, well, that's the thing, atto, some of us have indeed thought about it (reincarnation) a little deeper and have found it to be riddled with problems.

http://theultimateseeds.com/reincarnation.htm
_______
Last edited by seeds on Sun May 09, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Sorry, double post.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

seeds wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:59 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:07 am U just might be the doopidist tho - please think of souls reincarnating .....and into the faith they have reincarnated into based on their prior belief.

etc...
etcc...
atto, did you ever consider trying to carry on a conversation with someone without insulting them first?

And in response to the way you are using reincarnation to explain a person's current situation, according to your logic, the millions of children who are presently starving on earth must have been starving in a prior life, thus karmically consigning them to be reborn into the arms of starving parents.

And that, of course, flies in the face of the true meaning of karma which implies that in a prior life, they most likely would have been the opposite of what they are now (such as being gluttons or something similar).

How about this instead:

Due to the greed and apathy of millions of humans on earth creating an unfair distribution (and waste) of food and resources,...

...millions of other humans who are the victims of that imbalance (in Africa, for example) decide to partake in one of the very few pleasures available to them (sex) and thus a child is born - a soul that has no choice but to share in its parent's predicament of poverty and hunger...

However, again, according to your reincarnational logic, the children in that image must have been starving in a prior life.

The point is that (generally speaking) a Christian is a Christian, or a Muslim is a Muslim, or a Buddhist is a Buddhist, or an Atheist is an Atheist -- not because of their status in a prior life -- but because their respective parents had sex which resulted in the inevitable birth of a child who then adopts its parent's (and its tribe's) belief system by reason of the fact that it is intensely brainwashed into accepting said system from day one...

Do you just assume that some infinite number of souls have simply always existed and that there is no need to account for "how" they were awakened into life?
attofishpi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:29 am ...nuffin much to fink about 4 simple folks

we sage cunts were just hopin there might be a 1 amongst ya that fought a little deeper
Yeah, well, that's the thing, atto, some of us have indeed thought about it (reincarnation) a little deeper and have found it to be riddled with problems.

_______
All i can honestly say about my knowledge of reincarnation is from what a sage informed me - which wasn't much.

Reincarnation is a karmic thing - these people born into extreme poverty - who nose - maybe they were horrible people that ripped off fellow man in their greed in their previous life, etc.. etc.. etc..!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:27 pm
DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:02 pm
Lacewing wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:07 pm What kind of mindset believes in and perpetuates ancient imaginings and stories, as if they could possibly be more relevant than what is evident and present today?

Why would the world of the past, and its words and understandings assembled and re-translated/assembled in various books, be the most significant guide adopted by some people living today?

How could humans at that time be thought to have more awareness and understanding than humans thousands of years later?

What kind of a god would need to be represented by such old material?

Is it because the mystery of the old material can be mysteriously used/applied to explain the mystery of existence that humans want to feel they can know and/or have protection from?
does the truth change? or is what men do and want to do change?

the truth always was always is always will be, and doesn't change to the whims of men and women.
We'll we're not treating the common cold with voodoo and witchdoctors anymore. So I assume that's a change.
Nice one Gary :D
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

attofishpi wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:12 am
seeds wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:59 pm

etc...
etcc...

How about this instead:

_______
All i can honestly say about my knowledge of reincarnation is from what a sage informed me - which wasn't much.

Reincarnation is a karmic thing - these people born into extreme poverty - who nose - maybe they were horrible people that ripped off fellow man in their greed in their previous life, etc.. etc.. etc..!
Do all these 'starving people' even exist any more? It's such a cliche (and a MASSIVE money maker).
seeds

Post by seeds »

attofishpi wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:12 am All i can honestly say about my knowledge of reincarnation is from what a sage informed me - which wasn't much.
So then, based on information that you readily admit "wasn't much," you nevertheless say (in your strange made-up language) that I "...just might be the doopidist*..." for what I suggested?...

*(I assume that "doopidist" means "stupidist")

in which case, there seems to be plenty of "doopidity" to go around.

Furthermore, when you said this,...
attofishpi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:29 am we sage cunts were just hopin there might be a 1 amongst ya that fought [?"thought"?] a little deeper...
...apparently, it was offered-up with a hidden subtext that you yourself haven't "fought a little deeper" about reincarnation, but relied on something that your sage informed you of.
attofishpi wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:12 am Reincarnation is a karmic thing - these people born into extreme poverty - who nose - maybe they were horrible people that ripped off fellow man in their greed in their previous life, etc.. etc.. etc..!
Or, how about you completely missed the point of there being humans on earth who are already trapped in the throes of poverty and hunger, who then beget children who are thus doomed to join them in their plight?

Or, even better yet, how about you at least consider the possibility that reincarnation is a false concept and your sage is jerking you around?

(Btw, if all of humanity were suddenly plunged into a state of poverty and hunger, would that mean that literally everyone was a horrible person in a previous life?)

And lastly, atto, if you're going to be such a staunch proponent of reincarnation, then I'm still waiting for your response to this:
seeds wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:59 pm ...how do you think a soul comes into existence in the first place?

_______
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

seeds wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:26 am And lastly, atto, if you're going to be such a staunch proponent of reincarnation, then I'm still waiting for your response to this:
seeds wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:59 pm ...how do you think a soul comes into existence in the first place?

_______
Sober atto doesn't care too much dealing with what drunk atto had to say.

The sage simply told me, when he introduced himself, that we are born into the families that we deserve.

I don't think there would be an 'infinite' number of souls. Surely, a finite number.

Since being told a few things about my previous life, I have often wondered how many lifetimes I go back - and when my soul first came into existence.

An interesting point, is that these souls that are in existence now in the present day, have traversed life going back aeons perhaps.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

attofishpi wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:42 am
seeds wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:26 am And lastly, atto, if you're going to be such a staunch proponent of reincarnation, then I'm still waiting for your response to this:

_______

The sage simply told me, when he introduced himself, that we are born into the families that we deserve.

I don't think there would be an 'infinite' number of souls. Surely, a finite number.

Since being told a few things about my previous life, I have often wondered how many lifetimes I go back - and when my soul first came into existence.

An interesting point, is that these souls that are in existence now in the present day, have traversed life going back aeons perhaps.
If you believe "we are born into the families we deserve" then you are politically conservative.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Belinda wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:57 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:42 am

_______

If you believe "we are born into the families we deserve" then you are politically conservative.
Care to explain a little deeper.

I'll give U a little gem - sages arn't too keen on gamblers. C_A_SIN_O