Understanding the religious mindset

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

DPMartin

Re: Understanding the religious mindset

Post by DPMartin »

Lacewing wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:14 pm
DPMartin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:08 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:55 pm
And what if we look from the perspective of the Earth not being solid, but rather made up of particles? Where is the "sphere", then?

What is the model/density/perspective that you base truth on?
the sphere may be made up of particles, but its still a sphere shape and not flat, isn't it? doesn't matter if a ball is made of steel or rubber its still a ball.
So, that's how you're focused to determine "the" truth.
what's it got to do with me?

the truth is the truth no matter what the truth is, no matter if every man knows it or no man knows it. man doesn't make truth, he either knows it or he don't.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

DPMartin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:21 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:14 pm So, that's how you're focused to determine "the" truth.

the truth is the truth no matter what the truth is, no matter if every man knows it or no man knows it. man doesn't make truth, he either knows it or he don't.
That's how you think about it.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Lacewing wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:24 pm
DPMartin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:21 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:14 pm So, that's how you're focused to determine "the" truth.

that's what it is. either one searches for the truth or not. the truth is always there findable or not.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

DPMartin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:29 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:24 pm
DPMartin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:21 pm what's it got to do with me?

that's what it is. either one searches for the truth or not. the truth is always there findable or not.
Do you tend to think that what you see as the truth, is the actual truth?
seeds

Post by seeds »

seeds wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:25 pm Image
Walker wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:59 pm Re: religious mindset

It appears that the woman is offering what’s most precious to her, to her object of adoration.

That explains the human sacrifice tendency, although in her case the child’s outcome is less certain.

If she is not offering her most precious, what would be her most precious?
I don't know, Walker, but it is obviously not her dignity, nor her ability to judge another person's character and motives.

Good grief!...She is not offering-up her child as some sort of "sacrifice" to her object of adoration. No, she is simply hoping that her object of adoration will deign to lay hands upon her child so that she can from then on regale her friends and relatives with a story of how her child has been blessed by the touch of a divine being...

...(or, in this case, one of Satan's favorite minions).
_______
seeds

Post by seeds »

seeds wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:03 pm
_______
Walker wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:30 am The mask peels off from top down.

Biden demonstrates.

Biden has said that wearing a mask is the patriotic thing to do.

Mask wearing is being elevated to religious observance ... a totem of the Woke.

Walker, I have no idea why you would think that your Biden comment has anything to do with the point I was making. Nevertheless, I do find it funny and interesting that after I say something like this...
seeds wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:25 pm ...humans (in general) are basically sleepwalking through life. And like some alternate version of the Dunning-Kruger Effect, most humans are simply not conscious enough to realize that they are not conscious enough to comprehend the depth and degree of their somnambulism.
...that some take it as their que to pipe-in and give a demonstration of what I meant.
_______
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:26 pm she is simply hoping that her object of adoration will deign to lay hands upon her child so that she can from then on regale her friends and relatives with a story of how her child has been blessed by the touch of a divine being...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Theists should really question themselves in these matters, as they can be so gullible and fanatic for anything/anyone superficially (or without substance) speaking their favorite words and ideas -- even if the being has a hideous demon head with lying eyes and forked tongue -- many faithfully lumbering followers apparently lack the ability or will to discern/see it. Such careless devotion is a bane for humankind.
Walker

Post by Walker »

seeds wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:26 pm ...(or, in this case, one of Satan's favorite minions).
_______
You believe in Satan but not God?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:46 pm
seeds wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:26 pm she is simply hoping that her object of adoration will deign to lay hands upon her child so that she can from then on regale her friends and relatives with a story of how her child has been blessed by the touch of a divine being...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Theists should really question themselves in these matters, as they can be so gullible and fanatic for anything/anyone superficially (or without substance) speaking their favorite words and ideas -- even if the being has a hideous demon head with lying eyes and forked tongue -- many faithfully lumbering followers apparently lack the ability or will to discern/see it. Such careless devotion is a bane for humankind.
Quite a projection.

Actually, for most folks getting close to such power triggers thrills and giggles, as evidenced in the photo.

None of the folks in the photo seem to bowing and scraping in secular fashion to a secular projection.
Walker

Post by Walker »

seeds wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:27 pm
_______
Walker wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:30 am Image
“They're going to put y'all back in chains!"
- The Masked Bandit.

Walker

Post by Walker »

seeds wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:26 pm I don't know, Walker ...
You're fired.

:lol:

Or rather, to philosophize, pretend you're in a world where compensation depends on what you know, rather than what you don't know, and you're then in an increasingly rare real world where ignorance that is caused by not knowing is also not subsidized.

Btw: shouldn't that photo of adoring fans be of Biden, the most popular president in the history of the United States, by far? In case the answer is obscured by not knowing, the answer is yes.

:D

What is the most precious for each and every person?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:47 am ...most folks getting close to such power triggers thrills and giggles...

...shouldn't that photo of adoring fans be of Biden...

[Various people wearing face coverings for various reasons]
Did you miss the sign in the photo? There is more represented than thrills and giggles.

No, Biden wasn't elected by crowds of fanatical fans who would call him Daddy and claim he's their savior sent by god.

Are you, too, so fanatical as to lump all face coverings into absurd connections or conspiracies?

Truly, does your stupidity and distortions have no bounds?
seeds

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:44 am
Walker wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:47 am ...most folks getting close to such power triggers thrills and giggles...

...shouldn't that photo of adoring fans be of Biden...

[Various people wearing face coverings for various reasons]
Did you miss the sign in the photo? There is more represented than thrills and giggles.

No, Biden wasn't elected by crowds of fanatical fans who would call him Daddy and claim he's their savior sent by god.

Are you, too, so fanatical as to lump all face coverings into absurd connections or conspiracies?

Truly, does your stupidity and distortions have no bounds?
Lacewing, yours and my frustration with Walker (and others) takes us back to the question you asked earlier...
Lacewing wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:32 pm What is the best way to deal with such a thing?
To which I find myself trying to figure out how to respond to him without sinking down into a wallow of the usual tit-for-tat insults...

...(though I am guessing that heated exchanges are way more entertaining to the peanut gallery :D).

I must admit that I am at a loss as to what that "best way" might be when appeals to what seems like common sense simply bounce-off the impenetrable barriers that others have erected around their rigid "mindsets."

I mean, what in the world can you possibly say to these guys...

...that would wake them up?

And the point is that we are faced with a similar problem as we argue with certain members of these types of forums.

I learned long ago that logic and reason will not work to lift a sleepwalking human up to a slightly more lucid level of wakefulness. And that's when I realized that all I can do is, again, plant seeds of higher thoughts in the hope that they will sprout some day.
_______
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:46 pm Lacewing, yours and my frustration with Walker (and others) takes us back to the question you asked earlier...
Lacewing wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:32 pm What is the best way to deal with such a thing?
To which I find myself trying to figure out how to respond to him without sinking down into a wallow of the usual tit-for-tat insults...

...(though I am guessing that heated exchanges are way more entertaining to the peanut gallery :D).
Yes, I don't want to roll around with such people in the mud either. Sometimes they seem to be asking for people to launch bucketfuls of water to rinse off the mud they're caked in... and I forget and throw the whole bucket at them. :lol:

Maybe if enough people give someone the same feedback, that person might reflect... if their consciousness has any access to any light. And if they don't, then it's an opportunity (as many things are) for another one to find value and entertainment in exploring and considering human potential. If we can see the potential of and for our human selves reflected in another... we can feel gratitude or inspiration.
seeds wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:46 pmI must admit that I find myself at a loss as to what that "best way" might be when appeals to what seems like common sense simply bounces-off the impenetrable barriers that others have erected around their rigid "mindsets."

I mean, what in the world can you possibly say to these guys...
Maybe that's where some kind of collective telepathy might come in handy! Aside from that, I cannot image dealing with such impenetrable denseness.

I agree with you, it's hard to know what's best to do sometimes. On this forum, I think the deciding factor is whether I can learn or have fun with it, and if neither... step away. It can ebb and flow with people on this forum, as everything/everyone seems to ebb and flow... and if you can catch the right moment to throw your bucket at them... it might get through.
seeds wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:46 pm I learned long ago that logic and reason will not work to lift a sleepwalking human up to a slightly more lucid level of wakefulness.
I've noticed that too. So I think I do it to explore logic and reason for myself. To remind myself of how much potential there is in all directions... as is reflected all throughout our world. And although I would love to be as beneficial as I can, I think everything is functioning way beyond me... and working perfectly in a way that surpasses human understanding. I only hope to flow with it and inspire/encourage movement, rather than obstruction and rigidity. There is greater freedom, sight, and potential in movement.
seeds wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:46 pmAnd that's when I realized that all I can do is, again, plant seeds of higher thoughts in the hope that they will sprout some day.
And you do. I find kindness and clarity in your words, and I feel benefited by them. You reflect a brighter potential than some of the other reflections demonstrated on this forum. You are a reminder of the balance.

Sometimes it may seem that we are dropping seeds on the hard pavement of a parking lot. But... maybe the cosmic wind will pick them up and carry them where they need to go. :) Where they can best be used. Maybe the people we are spreading them on, are actually just a load of fertilizer. I have this sense that everything is ultimately perfect, even if it doesn't seem so in our physical garden.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Walker wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:58 am
seeds wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:27 pm
_______
Walker wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:30 am Image
“They're going to put y'all back in chains!"
- The Masked Bandit.

Walker, you're still not showing me how your silly Biden obsession has anything to do with the point I was making.
_______