Understanding the religious mindset

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Understanding the religious mindset

Post by Age »

Belinda wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:34 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:22 pm
Lacewing wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:07 pm
When you stand up from a chair, the "purpose" might be to go to the bathroom. That's not a whim.
When you pick up a pen, the "purpose" might be to write.
Especially as we can see in nature, there doesn't have to be any greater purpose than what is essentially divined or created from one moment to the next. Things are moving and flowing for reasons -- not by chance. That does not indicate a greater purpose.

A human's idea of purpose is for a human life. Such does not need to be applied to all else.
The Universe is not necessarily or even likely designed around humans and the limited way they think. There was a long time that humans weren't even on the Earth... they've been wiped out many times by nature... and there's no logical reason to believe that they are the pinnacle of all the creation they're aware of.

What is the purpose of a vast Universe of countless galaxies that we don't even occupy or need?
What was the purpose of the Earth long before we arrived on it?

Perhaps the problem for human beings is that we tend to think there's no value without purpose. Yet, "purpose" is made up. People have countless ideas about it. And even as we live our lives, many may see little or no point to life even if they want to imagine a greater purpose. It is possible to live a fulfilling life without imagining a greater purpose... so clearly, it's not needed. And since no one has or will be able to prove there's a greater purpose, what difference does it make? It's all just belief/imagination/claims at this point... and people don't seem to excel in/with life simply based on that. Actually, they may use such beliefs/claims as an excuse for "not living" their life more fully (or gratefully) while they have it, because they're waiting for the greater purpose which is to come. How much sense does that make?
As I say...

In a universe 93 billion light years across, mostly empty but for a smattering of matter (most of which is just electrons doin’ the tango with protons); in this vast empty place where organized matter is so rare as to make hydrogen ho-hum; in this Reality where living matter - insofar as we know - even rarer still, has spread out over the surface of one little dynamic rock and has given rise to remarkable self-directing, self-aware matter; in the midst of all this escalating specialness, two discrete parcels of matter are stalemated on the essential nature of the individual.

No matter the scale: we are special. Even more so: each of us is special. In this big old, mostly empty, universe, there’s only one of each of us (so much the same, so much not the same).

There’s your ‘magic’, plain as the nose on your face, and that there is fact, not feeling.
I purpose this and that, just as do Henry, Lacewing, and all other reasonable beings. Reasonable beings are a minute fraction of all the beings that ever existed since time began and the huge majority these beings have been and are unreasoning beings.
Talk about 'unreasonable beings", WHERE, EXACTLY, does this MOST ILLOGICAL, COMPLETELY NONSENSICAL, and UTTERLY UNREASONABLE ASSUMPTION and/or BELIEVE that "time began", which some of 'you', human beings, HAVE and HOLD ONTO, even come from?

Since 'you' here CLAIMED that 'you', "belinda", are a 'reasonable being' let us SEE if, and how, you can 'reason out' YOUR BELIEF that "time began".
Belinda wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:34 pm In what way are we reasonable beings special? Is reason itself special? Are we special because we (and probably some of the more reasoning animals)are self aware?
Being SOMEWHAT 'self' aware is NOTHING like being FULLY 'Self' AWARE.

And, until 'you', human beings, are ABLE TO, and ACTUALLY DO, answer the question, 'Who am 'I'?', then if 'I' was 'you' I would STOP FOOLING "myself' that 'I' was 'self aware'.
Belinda wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:34 pm Are men special because we can be devils incarnate and often are?
'you' are the MOST SPECIAL one in thee WHOLE Universe.

BUT 'you' are NOT more NOR less special than ANY thing "else" is.

Unless, OF COURSE, 'you' think or BELIEVE 'you' are, then 'you' are, but ONLY in your OWN imagination, ONLY.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:42 am
Atla wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:31 pm Was just curious that maybe you do actually have something new to stay. But everything you said so far, I've already considered before as a possibility.
That might be exciting news to, and for, you, BUT ...
Wait.. you replied to TWO sentences at once? How did you manage to connect them?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

non dualism isn't my "great theory". Nondualism is just one of the basics we have to understand, before continuing to work on the big questions. It's just a medium level insight, nothing extraordinary, but somehow Western culture fails to make it anyway.

Nonduality is NOT a theory.

It’s the end of knowledge…the end of the road. A dead end.

You can play with you’re knowledge pondering the bigger questions all you like, but you’ll be long cold stone dead well before you’re answers show up, achieving nothing and going nowhere is your only path.

Post by Age »

seeds wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:05 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:57 pm Keep in mind, Lacewing, that according to Atla, you are clueless and beneath him when it comes to intelligence, and he is just trolling you for the fun of it.
Atla wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:21 am Well if you really want to know, I'm 140-145 IQ range, which is considered borderline idiot. But I also seem to have some sort of acquired savantism which in my case seems to affect my abstract thinking (I can think with the unconscious brain which is kinda parallel and almost instantaneous, skipping "conscious thoughts" which almost all humans use). I've been called a genius many times throughout my life...
Yes, I'm sure that mom is very proud of her little man.

Unfortunately, even though you may indeed possess an IQ of 140-145, along with an acquired savantism, you nevertheless have been short-changed when it comes to simple common sense.

And that's because you seem to be utterly oblivious to the negative social ramifications of your comments as it relates to this...
seeds wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:57 pm Or, at the very least, they come-off as being preening little blowhards who make themselves look smaller and smaller with every self-aggrandizing boast.
Put down the "I'm the smartest person in the room" shovel, Atla, because you're just digging yourself into a deeper hole where people are compelled to look for (and point-out) your faults and delusions.

Furthermore, based on the following quote from an alternate thread,...
Atla wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:11 pm Took me a while to see clearly as well, and the form of nondualism I subscribe to may not even be that widespread, but I think it's "the" nondualism. Now of course the human ego is very much real in the sense that it's some kind of psychological structure in the human head, made of thoughts, emotions etc. What is illusory is the.. umm there is no good way to say it.. it's the illusion of the volitional, individual self-entity that "does" things, "has" things, and most importantly, "is or has consciousness somehow".
...it is obvious (to me, anyway) that you are trapped within a mental bubble (a "mindset") that is created from what seems to be your own unique interpretation of reality consisting of not just ordinary nondualism, but what you claim to be "the" nondualism.

Do you actually think that you've come up with something new?

I mean, the notion that a subjectively-based "self" (or "I Am-ness") is an illusion is not only as old as dirt, but it is also one of the most useless and counter-intuitive theories ever devised by, presumably, a subjectively-based "volitional self-entity."

Nondualism explains absolutely nothing in terms of how the unfathomable order of the universe came about.

Moreover, when it comes to everyday human needs and psychology, how would you use the concept of nondualism to comfort a mother who just lost a child to disease or accident?

The bottom line is that if you truly believe that if all of humanity were to understand what you (and only you) understand, then please explain to us how it would resolve the following issues:
  • 1. In what way would it explain how the order of the universe was achieved?

2. In what way would it provide the same kind of hope, comfort, and solace that billions of humans desperately need and derive from their respective religions?

3. And lastly, in what way would it not simply be just another form of existential nihilism that suggests that there is no ultimate purpose to human life?
_______
Although I agree with what you said about "atla" and the way "atla" is looking less and less the OPPOSITE of what 'atla" BELIEVES, the reason 'nondualism' explains absolutely nothing in terms of how the, so called, "unfathomable" order of the Universe came about is JUST BECAUSE thee Universe did NOT 'come about', in the sense of having a "beginning". And, the ACTUAL ORDER of the Universe is NOT just FATHOMABLE but is ALREADY WELL UNDERSTAND and KNOWN.

Now, how the nondual view could comfort a mother who just lost a child to disease or accident depends WHOLLY on the mother's VIEWS, at the time.

1. The 'order' of the Universe is JUST, the EXACT SAME as it is RIGHT NOW as it ALWAYS HAS BEEN and ALWAYS WILL BE.

The, so called, 'order of the Universe' is that 'it' is just constantly-changing ALWAYS HERE-NOW.

2. Human beings do NOT desperately 'NEED' 'solace'. The older ones, ONLY, WANT and SEEK OUT 'solace', sometimes. But how a nondual view provides hope, comfort, and solace to 'you', human beings, is just through how it helps in providing PROOF for what 'you' REALLY ARE and what thee Universe REALLY IS, which, when discovered, provides True and PURE BLISS, with CONTENTMENT forever more. Which is as GOOD, or even BETTER, a state than are referenced in ALL religions.

3. But thee Truth of nondual, like thee Truth of ALL things, REVEALS thee PURPOSE for ALL things, and NOT just the human being thing.

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:03 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:57 pm Keep in mind, Lacewing, that according to Atla, you are clueless and beneath him when it comes to intelligence, and he is just trolling you for the fun of it.
Atla wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:21 am Well if you really want to know, I'm 140-145 IQ range, which is considered borderline idiot. But I also seem to have some sort of acquired savantism which in my case seems to affect my abstract thinking (I can think with the unconscious brain which is kinda parallel and almost instantaneous, skipping "conscious thoughts" which almost all humans use). I've been called a genius many times throughout my life...

Unfortunately, even though you may indeed possess an IQ of 140-145, along with an acquired savantism, you nevertheless have been short-changed when it comes to simple common sense.

And that's because you seem to be utterly oblivious to the negative social ramifications of your comments as it relates to this...
seeds wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:57 pm Or, at the very least, they come-off as being preening little blowhards who make themselves look smaller and smaller with every self-aggrandizing boast.
Put down the "I'm the smartest person in the room" shovel, Atla, because you're just digging yourself into a deeper hole where people are compelled to look for (and point-out) your faults and delusions.

Atla wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:11 pm Took me a while to see clearly as well, and the form of nondualism I subscribe to may not even be that widespread, but I think it's "the" nondualism. Now of course the human ego is very much real in the sense that it's some kind of psychological structure in the human head, made of thoughts, emotions etc. What is illusory is the.. umm there is no good way to say it.. it's the illusion of the volitional, individual self-entity that "does" things, "has" things, and most importantly, "is or has consciousness somehow".
...it is obvious (to me, anyway) that you are trapped within a mental bubble (a "mindset") that is created from what seems to be your own unique interpretation of reality consisting of not just ordinary nondualism, but what you claim to be "the" nondualism.

I mean, the notion that a subjectively-based "self" (or "I Am-ness") is an illusion is not only as old as dirt, but it is also one of the most useless and counter-intuitive theories ever devised by, presumably, a subjectively-based "volitional self-entity."

Nondualism explains absolutely nothing in terms of how the unfathomable order of the universe came about.

Moreover, when it comes to everyday human needs and psychology, how would you use the concept of nondualism to comfort a mother who just lost a child to disease or accident?

The bottom line is that if you truly believe that if all of humanity were to understand what you (and only you) understand, then please explain to us how it would resolve the following issues:

2. In what way would it provide the same kind of hope, comfort, and solace that billions of humans desperately need and derive from their respective religions?

3. And lastly, in what way would it not simply be just another form of existential nihilism that suggests that there is no ultimate purpose to human life?
_______
Dude what the hell are you talking about?

If I say that this version of nondualism is not "as widespread", then I'm not saying that I'm the only one who understands it. I'd say I'm not even the only one on this forum.
Well here is ANOTHER GREAT EXAMPLE of WHERE you completely AND utterly MISS what was POINTED OUT to you in CLEARLY WRITTEN WORDS.
Atla wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:03 pm OF COURSE nondualism explains absolutely nothing in terms of how the unfathomable order of the universe came about.
Well that VERSION of 'nondualism' that 'you' have "atla" is NOT much good AT ALL.
Atla wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:03 pm What does it have to do with everyday human psychological needs?

What you are saying is like: dual-aspect theory can't cure cancer, therefore how dare people suggest it?
LOL
LOL
LOL

If that is what you SEE and SAW, then so be it. Keep rocking.

I NEVER SAW nor READ ANY thing like that AT ALL in what was CLEARLY SAID, and WRITTEN.

Maybe if you asked SOME CLARIFYING QUESTIONS, from thee Truly OPEN viewpoint, then you would come to UNDERSTAND what was being SAID and POINTED OUT to you.

BUT, we will just have to WAIT and SEE.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:04 am Well here is ANOTHER GREAT EXAMPLE of WHERE you completely AND utterly MISS what was POINTED OUT to you in CLEARLY WRITTEN WORDS.
Another great example? I don't remember ever being shown wrong about anything major on philosophy forums.

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:48 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:36 pm
Atla wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pm
You know what the coolest thing about atheism is? (Aside from making fun of theists, and then congratulating each other for it, with smug looks on our faces?
Smug looks on your faces? - I'd imagine you were born with one and at least since this is mostly text based as a forum, we don't have to look at your stupid facial expressions.

Interesting that the silly atheists as yourself (there are or at least have been, plenty of reasonable atheists that I have debated for 10yrs here, that stick rationally to the subject matter, without regurgitating words such as 'delusional' and 'fantasies' - but unfortunately, they left the forum since it became overun with stupid generational nutrionless fried chicken munching morons from the US - (I think you must be one of them).

You are not grounded in reasonable debate (a requirement on a philosophy forum), whether you agree with a concept or not, you should attack the nature of the opposition argument as to whether it is plausible, not think you actually have an ounce of wit and can just resort to being a troll, since actually - you are not funny - even if I also was an atheist, you just sound like a boring moron.

Atla wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pm And then celebrating it all with a good ol' round of baby eating.
I'd imagine you'd deep fry that too.

Atla wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pm To explain the mind-boggling improbability of our universe, atheists often end up believing in an infinite multiverse. (They try to support this belief with things like String theory, which has no experimental evidence going for it whatsoever.)

Now in an infinite multiverse, most universes are uninhabited, and some universes are inhabited by talking monkeys, who post nonsense on philosophy boards.
I know, so why don't you fuck off.

Atla wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pm I'm 140-145 IQ range
That must be annoying having a ticket number where you have now got to queue behind at least another 139 people, what for your vaccine?
The fact that you cannot read your ticket number to discern whether in fact you are number 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 or 145 is testament to your lack of reading comprehension.
Nevermind, if they don't call any of those numbers after number 139, ask someone that is not an inbred from your particular neighbourhood-since they may be able to count beyond the number 139 and manage to add 6 more numbers -for the people called and inform you your ticket is now invalid (like your brain) - in which case, go walk back to your trailer, or go to the reception and ask for another number and ask the clerk precisely "What number do I Queue at, because I have difficulty reading numbers).

(Hey, I'm just trying to help ok?)

Atla wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pmBut I also seem to have some sort of acquired savantism which in my case seems to affect my abstract thinking
Ya, most of us, as you describe 'talking monkeys' don't consider an inability to read numbers off of a ticket number as 'abstract' thinking, but why don't you start a thread and educate us all, prove you have indeed something of some savant quality. (because as a self admitted TROLL of 'theists', you are pretty fucking witless, rather repetitive and extremely boring.)

Atla wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pm I've been called a genius many times throughout my life.
Was this after you worked out how to record your own voice and play it back to yourself? (many many times)

Atla wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pmI've finished unifying all scientific knowledge save the unimportant details some 5-10 years ago, now I just have to keep up-to-date. I usually run 5-6 dimensional universe simulations in my mind to try to figure out the best explanation for why we are here. The best we humans can do is use Occam's razor, but you guys aren't even using it for your theories.
Occam's razor - is that ALL ya got!!! FFS.
But this is all just butthurt crying coming from you, after I succesfully attacked the nature of your argument by pointing out that you just went through one or more textbook psychotic breaks. It happens all the time, you aren't that special.
You "atla" think or BELIEVE, just like the one known as "veritas aequitas" here does, that because something happened to you in your past experiences, then "others" MUST OF HAD the EXACT SAME experiences, in their past experiences. Some even think or BELIEVE that what 'thoughts' they had previously, then "others" MUST OF also.

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:16 am

_______
Nondualism isn't about hope, according to Occam's razor it's the correct philosophical paradigm which resolves the Western mind-body problem and reveals our "true nature".
Is this ACTUALLY TRUE?

If yes, then will you EXPLAIN what 'THE nondualism' IS, which you HAVE and SAY is "the correct philosophical paradigm which resolves the, so called, "western mind-body problem"?

And, what is the "western mind-body problem", to you, so that we then KNOW what 'your' "THE nondualism" IS, which it supposedly resolves?
Atla wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:16 am Western atheists often say things like "we are the universe" too, nondualism makes you fully realize what this means.
WHICH 'nondualism'?

And, will you EXPLAIN how, whatever version of 'nondualism' you are referring to here, will make us FULLY REALIZE what 'we are the Universe', means?

By the way, who and/or what is the 'we', which the 'you' refers to here?
Atla wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:16 am Unlike the majority, Atla is primarily a truth seeker and secondarily a hope seeker, not the other way around. I could come up with a thousand theories that give way more hope than the ones I think are most likely to be true, nothing would be simpler than that.
Will you provide an example?

If yes, then great.

But if no, then WHY NOT?
Atla wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:16 am And nondualism isn't my "great theory".
Was 'nondualism' even YOUR idea, in the first place, to even be YOUR "great or non great theory', to begin with?
Atla wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:16 am Nondualism is just one of the basics we have to understand, before continuing to work on the big questions.
So called "big questions" like 'what' for example?

And WHY do 'they' NEED to be worked on? Have you NOT worked it all out YET?

If you have NOT, I will see if I will help you or not.
Atla wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:16 am It's just a medium level insight, nothing extraordinary, but somehow Western culture fails to make it anyway.
Sound like you are FAR MORE ENLIGHTENED that you first CLAIMED you were.

I am VERY INTERESTED in SEEING what INSIGHTFUL KNOWLEDGE you REALLY HAVE.

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:37 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:19 am
Lacewing wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:56 pm
8)

Do you think it's sound logic to believe certain ideas without asking/answering the questions that wouldn't readily support it?
You mean like... blah, blah, blah...
So, no, you're not interested in asking/answering questions that don't support what you believe.
Are 'you', "lacewing", interested in asking/answering questions that do NOT support what you believe?

If yes, then will you PROVIDE some EXAMPLES?
Lacewing wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:37 am I thoughtfully answered your questions to the best of my ability... but you did not answer mine. You just repeated what your claims are as if they are unquestionable pillars of truth that outweigh (and ignore) all questioning... and then you call them facts. :lol: Whatever.

Thanks (at least) for the civil discourse.

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:03 am
Age wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:42 am
Atla wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:31 pm Was just curious that maybe you do actually have something new to stay. But everything you said so far, I've already considered before as a possibility.
That might be exciting news to, and for, you, BUT ...
Wait.. you replied to TWO sentences at once? How did you manage to connect them?
Do you NOT YET KNOW how to ask questions from a Truly OPEN perspective?

I AGAIN suggest you do NOT MAKE UP ASSUMPTIONS BEFORE you GAIN CLARITY. That way you will NOT be SO WRONG, SO OFTEN.

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:34 am
Age wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:04 am Well here is ANOTHER GREAT EXAMPLE of WHERE you completely AND utterly MISS what was POINTED OUT to you in CLEARLY WRITTEN WORDS.
Another great example? I don't remember ever being shown wrong about anything major on philosophy forums.
LOL
LOL
LOL

Although just about UNBELIEVABLE you ACTUALLY, ONCE AGAIN, MISSED what was ACTUALLY SAID and CLEARLY WRITTEN here.

Also, and so that this will be CLEAR that this is ANOTHER POINT, just so you do NOT get SO TOTALLY CONFUSED, the REASON WHY you do NOT remember EVER being SHOWN that you were WRONG about ANY thing, major, is BECAUSE, to you, you BELIEVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY that were NEVER SHOWN that you were WRONG about ANY thing, major. ALTHOUGH you have been, SHOWN, MULTIPLE TIMES, to BE WRONG, about MANY THINGS, you are just NOT OPEN enough to being ABLE to SEE this for "yourself". So, you just KEEP CONTINUING to BELIEVING that there is NO where on philosophy forums where you have EVER been SHOWN were you have been WRONG on ANY thing, major.

And, the FACT that you can put absolutely ANY thing into 'relative terms' that even the MOST MAJOR things that you have been ACTUALLY WRONG ABOUT, you can just class them as NOT MAJOR, and then just make the CLAIM that you have here.

But OBVIOUSLY is thee FACT that what is 'major' to you is NOT necessarily 'major' to ANY other human being on earth.

You CONTINUALLY COMPLETELY MISS what is CLEARLY POINTED OUT to you. And, some consider this VERY MAJOR.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:20 pm
LOL
LOL
LOL

Although just about UNBELIEVABLE you ACTUALLY, ONCE AGAIN, MISSED what was ACTUALLY SAID and CLEARLY WRITTEN here.

Also, and so that this will be CLEAR that this is ANOTHER POINT, just so you do NOT get SO TOTALLY CONFUSED, the REASON WHY you do NOT remember EVER being SHOWN that you were WRONG about ANY thing, major, is BECAUSE, to you, you BELIEVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY that were NEVER SHOWN that you were WRONG about ANY thing, major. ALTHOUGH you have been, SHOWN, MULTIPLE TIMES, to BE WRONG, about MANY THINGS, you are just NOT OPEN enough to being ABLE to SEE this for "yourself". So, you just KEEP CONTINUING to BELIEVING that there is NO where on philosophy forums where you have EVER been SHOWN were you have been WRONG on ANY thing, major.

And, the FACT that you can put absolutely ANY thing into 'relative terms' that even the MOST MAJOR things that you have been ACTUALLY WRONG ABOUT, you can just class them as NOT MAJOR, and then just make the CLAIM that you have here.

But OBVIOUSLY is thee FACT that what is 'major' to you is NOT necessarily 'major' to ANY other human being on earth.

You CONTINUALLY COMPLETELY MISS what is CLEARLY POINTED OUT to you. And, some consider this VERY MAJOR.
But you are once again incapable of expressing what you think I was wrong about, right?

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:28 pm
LOL
LOL
LOL

But you are once again incapable of expressing what you think I was wrong about, right?
Have I even TRIED TO, previously?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:05 pm

LOL
LOL
LOL

Well maybe you have no idea what you're talking about as usual.

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:13 pm
Age wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:05 pm
Well maybe you have no idea what you're talking about as usual.
Maybe, or maybe NOT. We will just have to wait, to see, correct?