Religion Is Insanity

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Religion Is Insanity

Post by Dontaskme »

Would you trust “messages” from a dishonest speaker?
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:28 pmWell, in the first place, you don't know who's "dishonest" and who's not, of course. But more importantly, even if you were right, you don't know IF he/she is being dishonest at that minute or not. The message stands or falls on its own truthfulness.

If somebody tells you that your house is on fire, and you imagine that they are often "dishonest," you'd still be wise to check for fire. It's the message, not the speaker, that makes the difference.
Observed happenings are always what they are in the instant they are happening, and cannot be any other way. A happening can never not be happening. A happening cannot unhappen. No one can SAY what is happening is true or false, except as knowledge within the dream of separation.

No one can SAY because the seer of happenings can never be seen. There's simply what's happening.

Knowledge of said happenings claimed to be of the seer, can only be known within the artificial dream of separation, as a story told by no one.

So it doesn't matter what happens, no thing is happening.

It really doesn't matter what happens IC, because whatever happens could never have been avoided. Knowledge of any event is always on demand. Knowledge is not present in actual realtime presence.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:55 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:40 pm How do you know the truthfulness of a message that is not proven to be true?
You assess any message by the facts and realities to which it refers. If reality fails to reflect it, you disbelieve it; but if reality reflects the truth of the utterance, then you believe it.

But you know that. It's not rocket science.
But this is still a belief in a reflection, it's the same as believing in mirages. There is no reality except what it reflects. Just like a mirror, emptiness reflecting itself as it's own image, in the image of emptiness. It's a divine oxymoronic paradox, the mother of all illusions.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

uwot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:41 am he thinks it is his business to talk others into wearing it, which is why he and the god he rode in on
But don't you know who he is, he's none other than the lone ranger. His only business is to break his own inner pig.

Self Religious idiots really deserve to be mocked.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:13 am...
Hey, that's my opinion...if it stings, ask yourself why.
Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:13 am Oh aren't you special?! :lol:
Nah. I'm just not threatened by the idea of damnation.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Maybe we really can do as we please and god is the reason.

Nah, we do as we choose, we choose with intent, self de-liberation...what we choose is often at odds with what we want.

Mr Can is proof that belief is false. Not only has he accepted the christian leash, he thinks it is his business to talk others into wearing it

I don't see Christianity as a leash. He ain't talkin' anybody into anything. He offers what he believes is the truth...not a one of you is obligated to listen...but you do...why? You might say tyranny must be opposed and I agree, and -- yeah -- in the past Christianity has been used, like a lot of notions, as a platform for evil men.

But those evil men weren't evil becuz they were Christians.

And Mannie, best I can tell, is far from bein' evil.

A person can reject Christianity honestly, and a person can oppose another person honestly, but it seems wrong to oppose a person becuz he's Christian.
uwot

Post by uwot »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:24 pmA person can reject Christianity honestly, and a person can oppose another person honestly, but it seems wrong to oppose a person becuz he's Christian.
I'll say it again then:
uwot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:41 amAny belief that doesn't cause harm to others is fine by me and all part of life's rich tapestry - I like stories. But mealy mouthed apologists telling me I am irrational because I don't accept their crummy arguments, or that I wilfully deny what their god has made plain to me, is despicable.
I oppose him because he calls me stupid and a liar. Now, admittedly I don't give a fuck what a twerp like Mr Can thinks about me, but this is a public forum and opposition is all part of the fun. Mr Can thinks it's appropriate to call me names, and to be consistent he should extend that privilege to everyone he badmouths. People who start fights have to accept they might get a kicking, but Mr Can is currently hiding behind his god's skirts, because he knows if he comes out it won't end well for him.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

"Any belief that doesn't cause harm to others is fine by me and all part of life's rich tapestry - "

The problem with this is that Christians have had a lot of influence on politics, law and culture. So their beliefs negatively (in my opinion) affect what we can choose to do (including without legal repercussions). (Not that the negative influence there is limited to Christianity, but Christianity has definitely been a big part of it in the United States.)
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I oppose him because he calls me stupid and a liar.

Did he do that?

I don't recall Mannie sayin' that to anyone in-forum.

Now, me, I've called folks stupid, liars, pinheads, slavers, etc....cuz they are.

But Mannie? He might say you're wrong or you're willfully ignoring what's as plain as the nose on your face but that doesn't seem to me to quite the same as sayin' you, sir, are stupid and a liar.

And I guess my point is: if Mannie is a troll, why do you feed him?

-----

Christianity has definitely been a big part of it in the United States

You're not wrong...but not completely right, either.

For example, here, in S. Louisiana, Christianity, Catholicism in particular, is a big cultural driver, but less for the substance and more for the show. If Christianity were truly movin' people I'd expect Lent to overshadow Mardi Gras (it doesn't).

Best I can tell: Christianity -- nowadays, anyway -- is just one player in the competition.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Dubious wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:01 am I've been communicating with IC for a lot longer than you have.
You have no way of knowing that.[/quote]
Dubious wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:01 am What clearly comes across in those tête-à-têtes - and not only mine - is that he's the most skilled edition of a hypocrite on this or any other site I've been to.
I certainly don't care what you believe but yours does raise an interesting question.

Hypocrisy is usually an attempt by someone to convince others one believes as they do, to get on their good side. Who, exactly, is it you think IC is trying to get on the good side of? It is obviously not anyone on this site?

And that raises a second question. What difference does it make what anyone else believes, or pretends to, if you believe they do? The various flavors of the Christian religion are all absurdities, but Christianity is but one of the endless parade of absurdities embraced by most of mankind. You are going to be very frustrated if you believe the way to defend truth is to attempt to combat every wrong ideology and superstition in the world.

I really don't care about personalities, but if I were to address them at all, I'd defend IC's expression of his views, just as I would yours. Even if he chooses to be a hypocrite, I'd defend his freedom to be and say whatever he chooses. The hypocrisy of others is no danger to me. I do not have to listen to or believe them, and either do you--but apparently you do and let them get under your skin. Of course that's your privilege, but why would you?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:23 am The bible is rather uncompromising about the way things are … and relativists just can’t stand that certainty.
It's the difference between "the truth" and "what I would prefer to believe." Most people, it seems, want to live in the latter. The truth is external, objective, and implies inescapable obligations for the individual. We don't seem to like that...
uwot

Post by uwot »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:50 pmI oppose him because he calls me stupid and a liar.

Did he do that?
I'll say it again, again then:
uwot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:41 amAny belief that doesn't cause harm to others is fine by me and all part of life's rich tapestry - I like stories. But mealy mouthed apologists telling me I am irrational because I don't accept their crummy arguments, or that I wilfully deny what their god has made plain to me, is despicable.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:50 pmAnd I guess my point is: if Mannie is a troll, why do you feed him?
Mr Can is not what I would call a troll; far worse than that, I suspect he sincerely believes I am irrational and, if not a liar, at least in denial. But when I point out that his arguments are not sound and his evidence is no better than circumstantial, he has a hissy fit and runs away. I'll get bored with him soon; leave him alone for a while, and then for reasons I cannot predict, he'll piss me off and I'll give him another kicking for my own, and perhaps one or two others' amusement.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Terrapin Station wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:33 pm "Any belief that doesn't cause harm to others is fine by me and all part of life's rich tapestry - "

The problem with this is that Christians have had a lot of influence on politics, law and culture. So their beliefs negatively (in my opinion) affect what we can choose to do (including without legal repercussions). (Not that the negative influence there is limited to Christianity, but Christianity has definitely been a big part of it in the United States.)
Yeah, christianity has had a bit of a role in the last 1500 years of european history too. Some good, some bad. For most of that time we were mucking along slightly behind the great civilisations of India and China, nearly lost out to Islam and after a few false starts, like the Carolingian and 12th Century Renaissances, only really took off when science started replacing mysticism in the Italian Renaissance, during which Galileo was banged up by religious nuts for daring to claim that observation was a better guide to truth than scripture or revelation. Biblical literalism was obsolete then; it is ridiculous today.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:23 am The bible is rather uncompromising about the way things are …
So what? That doesn't mean it's anything more than ancient stories and journals of men.
Walker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:23 am and relativists just can’t stand that certainty.
Certainty? There is no certainty. But see how easy it is for you to instantly make up crazy claims to support other claims that make no sense? On and on it goes... like a swirl of self-serving insanity.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:11 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:13 amThis is about being deceptive in discussions... not about hate.
Hey, that's my opinion...if it stings, ask yourself why.
Why would it sting when you misrepresent what's being said?

You have been known to defend/excuse known liars... for your own self-serving cockeyed reasons... so your dumb know-it-all endorsement is not exactly a shining example of truth. :)
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:11 pm I'm just not threatened by the idea of damnation.
Neither am I. It sounds idiotic... childish and controlling. For whatever reason, such ideas entertain and captivate some people. It's interesting to ask them why.

Some of us are here to actually discuss and debate claims and beliefs, where they come from, and how much sense they make. What happens in those discussions is very revealing. Liars are unmasked and chased into corners. Some people come unhinged and fling in all directions... before they snap back to fight again in another argument. And any of us can bring out our dragons to play. It's quite the show. :D

Meanwhile, you typically busy yourself with jokes and cartoons and rants about one thing or another you oppose... and I guess you like associating yourself with this environment and/or maybe you stand out as unique here, than if you, say, posted on the Cavemen Thoughts forum. :lol:
Last edited by Lacewing on Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:45 pm The human mind infected with religion is like the brain demented by drugs. Some handle it better than others, but all religious individuals are a little insane.

Here is specimen:
[Also here, here, here, and here.]

So this is big news in the religious world, and other Christians are calling it evil and saying it's anti-Biblical and Satanic. And, of course, it is being called racist, but nobody is pointing out the poor woman is suffering from a total mental breakdown.

She's a Doctor of theology, a psychologist, and an academic who has expressed a desire to embrace the most self-destructive of all emotions fostered by those disciplines--hate. She never had a chance and I frankly feel very sorry for her.

In case you think this is an anomaly, praying for hate is a Biblical idea:

Psalms 26:5 I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.
Psalms 139:21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
Psalms 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.
well the truth is saying hate is evil is an moronic idea.

the blind sick minded horse dump is those who hate those who hate, hate themselves, because they hate those who hate.

and mankind has been hating with or without the awareness of the bible. its absolutely stupid to think the mind and the heart shouldn't hate. its supposed to be about what one should hate and why. but again what seems to be your media mind, follows their preaching that is strictly for controversy. they get you to want what isn't reality to be reality and feed you more of how you should be outraged, so they have your attention to see more adds so they can make more money, hello.

those exec's are on their yachts laughing away while you fester.