Religion Is Insanity

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Religion Is Insanity

Post by henry quirk »

Why would it sting when you misrepresent what's being said?

Apparently my opinion stings enough, is close enough to the mark, for you to keep comin' back to defend yourself.

-----

for reasons I cannot predict, he'll piss me off

his arguments are not sound and his evidence is no better than circumstantial and he's a coward and hypocrite and other stuff, but he can piss you off enough to keep engaging' him?

In essence: I don't give a flip for him and what he sez, find him to be of low character, find his notions laughable, but he has the power to move me nonetheless, to piss me off.

How does that work?
uwot

Post by uwot »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 pmIn essence: I don't give a flip for him and what he sez, find him to be of low character, find his notions laughable, but he has the power to move me nonetheless, to piss me off.

How does that work?
Dunno. Why do you care?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

uwot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:53 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 pmIn essence: I don't give a flip for him and what he sez, find him to be of low character, find his notions laughable, but he has the power to move me nonetheless, to piss me off.

How does that work?
Dunno. Why do you care?
Mannie is my buddy...where I come from stickin' up for friends, even if you disagree with 'em, is the right thing to do.

I think he's gettin' shafted, and not cuz he's a liar or coward or hypocrite, or becuz it's amusin' to poke fun at the circus freak.

if he were those things: I'd leave him be to get what he deserved.

No, I think he's a decent guy, with an honest belief, and I gotta back him.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Now I am not defending the nonsense handed down to us in the world's religions.

However, a quick and easy solution to the existence of religious "insanity" would be for those who rail against it to provide a clear and irrefutable explanation for the amazing order of the universe.

(Preemptive warning: "CHANCE" is a non-starter. So don't even go there.)
_______
uwot

Post by uwot »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:24 pmMannie is my buddy...where I come from stickin' up for friends, even if you disagree with 'em, is the right thing to do.
Oh I see; it's geography. Well, where I'm from, if someone says something I object to, it is my patriotic duty to take the piss out of them.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:24 pmI think he's gettin' shafted, and not cuz he's a liar or coward or hypocrite, or becuz it's amusin' to poke fun at the circus freak.
How many times do I have to tell you?
uwot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:41 amAny belief that doesn't cause harm to others is fine by me and all part of life's rich tapestry - I like stories. But mealy mouthed apologists telling me I am irrational because I don't accept their crummy arguments, or that I wilfully deny what their god has made plain to me, is despicable.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:24 pmif he were those things: I'd leave him be to get what he deserved.

No, I think he's a decent guy, with an honest belief, and I gotta back him.
We all gotta do what we gotta do.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

DPMartin wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:39 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:45 pm The human mind infected with religion is like the brain demented by drugs. Some handle it better than others, but all religious individuals are a little insane.

Here is specimen:
[Also here, here, here, and here.]

So this is big news in the religious world, and other Christians are calling it evil and saying it's anti-Biblical and Satanic. And, of course, it is being called racist, but nobody is pointing out the poor woman is suffering from a total mental breakdown.

She's a Doctor of theology, a psychologist, and an academic who has expressed a desire to embrace the most self-destructive of all emotions fostered by those disciplines--hate. She never had a chance and I frankly feel very sorry for her.

In case you think this is an anomaly, praying for hate is a Biblical idea:

Psalms 26:5 I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.
Psalms 139:21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
Psalms 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.
well the truth is saying hate is evil is an moronic idea.

the blind sick minded horse dump is those who hate those who hate, hate themselves, because they hate those who hate.

and mankind has been hating with or without the awareness of the bible. its absolutely stupid to think the mind and the heart shouldn't hate. its supposed to be about what one should hate and why. but again what seems to be your media mind, follows their preaching that is strictly for controversy. they get you to want what isn't reality to be reality and feed you more of how you should be outraged, so they have your attention to see more adds so they can make more money, hello.

those exec's are on their yachts laughing away while you fester.
I'm sorry. I read your response three times, very carefully. I still have no idea what you are trying to say. I cannot tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with what I wrote.

In case you missed it, I am not the least be concerned with what anyone else believes or teaches, and certainly would never waste my emotional energy even being angry with someone, much less hating them. I do point out when someone's views are absurd and idiotic. Those who hate are idiots. I'm sorry if their idiocy embarrasses them when identified, but it's not my intention. Except when their hate makes them become part of the BLM (Burn, Loot, and Murder) movement, they are mostly quite entertaining, like Laurel and Harder or any other comedy team.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:24 pm where I come from stickin' up for friends, even if you disagree with 'em, is the right thing to do.
What does that accomplish?
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:24 pmI think he's gettin' shafted
He's doing it to himself. Give him some credit.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:24 pmif he were those things: I'd leave him be to get what he deserved.
If you were in a conversation with him and he was doing those things to you, then you would care.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:24 pmNo, I think he's a decent guy, with an honest belief
Maybe he is. That doesn't prevent him from being deceptive and deceitful in service to his ego. People who make claims should be able to back them up and discuss them when questioned. It is childish and arrogant of him to pretend that he won't answer because other people aren't worthy of his answers.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:24 pm and I gotta back him.
Whatever turns you on. But your loyalties seem to typically be limited to how it affects you, not on a broader assessment. So why speak to the broader picture as if you can?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:44 pm Now I am not defending the nonsense handed down to us in the world's religions.

However, a quick and easy solution to the existence of religious "insanity" would be for those who rail against it to provide a clear and irrefutable explanation for the amazing order of the universe.

_______
Why does anyone have to claim to know?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 pm Apparently my opinion stings enough, is close enough to the mark, for you to keep comin' back to defend yourself.
Defending myself? I'm telling you that you are a nut-job based on what you're saying. Try to distinguish the difference. :)
seeds

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:12 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:44 pm Now I am not defending the nonsense handed down to us in the world's religions.

_______
Why does anyone have to claim to know?
Because if they are going to insist that religion is insanity...

(with most religions basically being grounded in a common sense assumption that the order of the universe is not a product of chance)

...then it is incumbent upon the naysayer to provide a "logical" reason as to how and why the order exists.
_______
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:37 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:12 pm Why does anyone have to claim to know?

(with most religions basically being grounded in a common sense assumption that the order of the universe is not a product of chance)

...then it is incumbent upon the naysayer to provide a "logical" reason as to how and why the order exists.
_______
I see what you're saying. I think we can say anything could be insanity based on its hypocritical, intoxicated, and nonsensical nature. I don't think there has to be another known answer in order to identify those things.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Why are we here?

Do we challenge the status quo?

Do we challenge religions?

Do we challenge false or unproven claims?

Do we challenge people who project falsely and use deceptive means for their arguments?

Are such people looking for a pulpit... or are they begging to be challenged so they can evolve, even if their ego is terrified of doing so? Who knows?

It's reasonable to challenge all of these things. Responses are typically measured and aligned with what’s being said and avoided. Strong, direct words do not mean “hate”... they mean “cut the crap”. It is a reasonable request.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:15 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 pm Apparently my opinion stings enough, is close enough to the mark, for you to keep comin' back to defend yourself.
Defending myself?
So, this...
Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:36 pm Some of us are here to actually discuss and debate claims and beliefs, where they come from, and how much sense they make. What happens in those discussions is very revealing. Liars are unmasked and chased into corners. Some people come unhinged and fling in all directions... before they snap back to fight again in another argument. And any of us can bring out our dragons to play. It's quite the show.
...isn't a kind of self-defense? Generally when someone feels the need to explain themselves it's cuz they're threatened.

But, mebbe, in your case, a cigar is just a cigar.

If you were in a conversation with him and he was doing those things to you, then you would care.

But he doesn't do those things to me.

Why?

Cuz he doesn't do any of that to anyone. that's why.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:43 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:37 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:12 pm Why does anyone have to claim to know?

_______
I see what you're saying. I think we can say anything could be insanity based on its hypocritical, intoxicated, and nonsensical nature. I don't think there has to be another known answer in order to identify those things.
That's true.

However, when someone such as RCSaunders states the following,...
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:45 pm The human mind infected with religion is like the brain demented by drugs....all religious individuals are a little insane.
...then he is demonstrating his extreme lack of understanding and, especially, his lack of empathy in regards to how hard it is for the so-called "infected" minds to break free from their religious indoctrination.

Furthermore, as I mentioned in an earlier post, insane sounding nonsense is not strictly limited to the domain of religion, for it is most certainly witnessed in the "scientific" hypothesis that there may exist infinite copies of each and everyone of us existing in infinite (ever-branching) parallel universes (as per the MWI of quantum mechanics).
_______
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

if someone says something I object to, it is my patriotic duty to take the piss out of them.

Well, he and me, we disagree...I don't accept his theism and he doesn't accept my deism...but neither of us object to the other, or the other's belief.

I mean no offense, but: it seems awfully thin-skinned to get worked up about a person you don't give a flip for, who you find to be of low character, who you find has laughable notions.

Your response to him seems excessive and more in keepin' with the kind of what-for reserved for threats.

But, hey, like I told Lace, mebbe in your case, a cigar really is just a cigar.