Religion Is Insanity

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Oakley

Re: Religion Is Insanity

Post by Oakley »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:45 pm Some handle it better than others, but all individuals are a little insane.
Hope you don't mind that I edited that just a bit. :D
uwot

Post by uwot »

Oakley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:51 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:45 pm Some handle it better than others, but all individuals are a little insane.
Fair enough, but religious individuals have a head start.
Oakley

Post by Oakley »

uwot wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:23 pmFair enough, but religious individuals have a head start.
Could be, but they'll never catch up with me, so why worry? :D
Last edited by Oakley on Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:22 pm
Walker wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:07 am
gaffo wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:04 am

ok - lets move on then.

lets talk about the God of Love putting all born before the time of Christ and 9/10th of all after him into Hell forever.

thats my bag anyway/.

lets talk about a religoin with that type of God - one of such "love" lol.

make Belial look good in my book.
gaffo old chap. Hell can only be known in the present. Heaven too.

First of all, before any meaningful discussion can take place, a premise must be accepted, for the premise is the basis of the discussion. In this case, the premise is the definition of God.

Therefore, the premise to define God and serve as the basis of discussion is … drumroll …

God is the nameless thing of a thousand names (credit J. Krishnamurti.)

Change that definition and you have a new premise, a new discussion if another accepts your new premise. That’s just the way things are.

Accepting this premise for the basis of discussion automatically eliminates any limiting projections concerning any concepts surrounding the God-concept that atheists attempt to foist upon others, such as God being a big old meanie. :roll:

Quite simply, humans have an inherent recognition of the divine … and so pluck one of the thousand names to attach to that recognition. For instance, the guiding-light North Star attaches to the recognition, a tangible light in the darkness which was likely recognized by humans long before Christianity, perhaps even long before language … even though there are always those individuals of every age who lack the capacity for recognition of the inherent.
fully do not understand your point at all in any way - welcome clarification though.

per myself i cannot know God/ - for I'm an ant and unable to know if they/he are or not - and so knowing i am too limited to "know" god/s i do not bother to do so. i assume there is none due to empiricsm, but welcome poof to alter this view since atheism offers nothing.

so in short i know I'm an ant and by my nature too small in spirit to know of the gods existance, but not too limited to know right from wrong - i know the concept of sitting in hell forever as an immortal soul is evil - for times served for transgression on Earth - fine - give me a sentance and i shall serve it - but the FOREVER part is immoral - full stop - to this ant mind at least it is a clear WRONG RED LIGHT FULL STOP WRONG>

-----but who know - i don't maybe there is a god or gods and they are evil and delight in me dying for my sins in this life - and to pay for them forever in the pit - if that gets the gods jollis off so be it (not saying fine - not in a long shot - but just that i cant change a dick god is not one of mercy).

I shall see the nature of God/s when i die - assuming i am wrong about my atheism. my final fate and the time i serve is up its up to them not me.
fully do not understand your point at all in any way - welcome clarification though.
Hey gaffo, as I recall you made a reference to hell, and this was a response.

So the point is, hell only exists in the present. Any other hell is either an imperfect memory, or imaginative.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Oakley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:51 pm
Oh, I don't mind. It will be obvious you're projecting.
paigetheoracle

Post by paigetheoracle »

Two points:-

Firstly I realised sometime back that we all think something is insane, when we don't understand it and sane when we do (at the point it makes some kind of sense to us). Of course people 'thinking' something isn't crazy, doesn't mean it isn't, through the actions taken not the words used.

Secondly, as I pointed out in my recent review of Christopher Hitchens book, 'God is not Great,' in this very forum; the reason you have The Old Testament and indeed any religious work screaming hatred at others, is simply the stance taken by the losers in a fight with regards to the winners (pure resentment and simple psychology).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:46 pm
gaffo wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:22 pm
Walker wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:07 am
gaffo old chap. Hell can only be known in the present. Heaven too.

First of all, before any meaningful discussion can take place, a premise must be accepted, for the premise is the basis of the discussion. In this case, the premise is the definition of God.

Therefore, the premise to define God and serve as the basis of discussion is … drumroll …

God is the nameless thing of a thousand names (credit J. Krishnamurti.)

Change that definition and you have a new premise, a new discussion if another accepts your new premise. That’s just the way things are.

Accepting this premise for the basis of discussion automatically eliminates any limiting projections concerning any concepts surrounding the God-concept that atheists attempt to foist upon others, such as God being a big old meanie. :roll:

Quite simply, humans have an inherent recognition of the divine … and so pluck one of the thousand names to attach to that recognition. For instance, the guiding-light North Star attaches to the recognition, a tangible light in the darkness which was likely recognized by humans long before Christianity, perhaps even long before language … even though there are always those individuals of every age who lack the capacity for recognition of the inherent.

per myself i cannot know God/ - for I'm an ant and unable to know if they/he are or not - and so knowing i am too limited to "know" god/s i do not bother to do so. i assume there is none due to empiricsm, but welcome poof to alter this view since atheism offers nothing.

so in short i know I'm an ant and by my nature too small in spirit to know of the gods existance, but not too limited to know right from wrong - i know the concept of sitting in hell forever as an immortal soul is evil - for times served for transgression on Earth - fine - give me a sentance and i shall serve it - but the FOREVER part is immoral - full stop - to this ant mind at least it is a clear WRONG RED LIGHT FULL STOP WRONG>

-----but who know - i don't maybe there is a god or gods and they are evil and delight in me dying for my sins in this life - and to pay for them forever in the pit - if that gets the gods jollis off so be it (not saying fine - not in a long shot - but just that i cant change a dick god is not one of mercy).

I shall see the nature of God/s when i die - assuming i am wrong about my atheism. my final fate and the time i serve is up its up to them not me.
Hey gaffo, as I recall you made a reference to hell, and this was a response.

So the point is, hell only exists in the present. Any other hell is either an imperfect memory, or imaginative.
your bible say i go to hell forever - even if/when i repent from there i will not be saved - so hell for me is forever if i die an athiest (or hindu/etc.....) - with all the billions of folks that lived prior to Chrsits time on earth 2000 yrs ago.

I have a prob with that concept morally and personally.

and yes the concept of a forever hell (one for correction - time served is fine with me) - but the forever park of it - and that is the nature of hell in your book - not one for correction - i've had a problem with for 40 yrs now.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hey gaffo. If I had the publishing rights, holy moly! Life would get complicated with all that gold.

“To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour.”
- William Blake

We are now of an age where we often look at one another and say, it won’t be long before what we are now will no longer be, and those who knew us will either find us everywhere, or nowhere. And we marvel at that, it changes everything now.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Religion is not insanity but it is certainly not scientific.

Religion intends to deal with people’s minds and souls but unfortunately theologians do not track the the successes and failures of their teachings. In the book “Stages of Faith”, the author writes about the development of minds and souls. I believe that the author is on point but, as far as I know, no studies of people who follow the advice has been done.

Religions in general, spread the word but is the word effective? I don’t think so. Only the most astute student can separate the wheat from the chaff.

Science is the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment with the intent to find ways to improve living. Without a study, I can see that it has succeeded.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

jayjacobus wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:50 am Religion is not insanity but it is certainly not scientific.

Religion intends to deal with people’s minds and souls but unfortunately theologians do not track the the successes and failures of their teachings. In the book “Stages of Faith”, the author writes about the development of minds and souls. I believe that the author is on point but, as far as I know, no studies of people who follow the advice has been done.

Religions in general, spread the word but is the word effective? I don’t think so. Only the most astute student can separate the wheat from the chaff.

Science is the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment with the intent to find ways to improve living. Without a study, I can see that it has succeeded.
Ya, much as I love science and what we can acheive with further knowledge - there are also things developed without the intent that you describe, nuclear bombs can be a bit of problem for some to actually live (for example)