against the bible

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

against the bible

Post by Advocate »

There is nothing in the bible of any more importance or aesthetic value than what can be found in a decent sociology textbook, and far less history.
Immanuel Can

Re: against the bible

Post by Immanuel Can »

Advocate wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:27 am There is nothing in the bible of any more importance or aesthetic value than what can be found in a decent sociology textbook, and far less history.
Do you even think before you write...let alone do any research before you start throwing things out?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

The God story, was a psychological operation to control the human mind. Man has been writing stories since the dawn of time, the stories became ever more elaborate even though the stories were just rehashed or re-packaged old ideas made to look new. There is,was nothing new under the sun. All that was known since the dawn of man, the apparent author in time, is also the same knowing that is known now. Nothing has changed.

Words used over and over again appearing in many many different ways, but all saying the same old things.

Stories believed was a form of mind control because the mind had the capacity to be a manipulator and a controller of it's environment and other minds.

Authors soon became aware that their ''thoughts'' could manifest as belief structures, that would and could be the cause of all ensuing chaos and division, spelling trouble that would have had to be controlled. Mind controlled. It's been happening since the dawn of human language.

The enlightened see through the story as the fiction it is, others, believe the story is real, and live with their delusion until the day they die, or they wake up from their delusions at the moment of death.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Any reinterpretation of the Bible or the Koran is merely a rehashing of ancient myths and fables.
Regarding the human condition, one can find as much truth in Grimms Fairytales of Mother Goose.

When the mind mistakes itself to be the character in the story, it believes it must have been created, and then seeks out the creator.
The only problem is, no such mind exists, except as a myth, a belief. The mind loves a good story, for there is no where else to frame it's sense of self reference. Without the mind for my projection screen, where do I happen?

God is an illusion too.

Be gentle with me, for I know not what I do, including what I am saying. :D

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 am The God story, was a psychological operation to control the human mind.
There are a few things to unpack here first.

1. Before one makes a claim it is better that they know and understand the subject in the claim, so what is the 'human mind', actually?
2. Who or what started and is controlling this alleged and so called "psychological operation"?
3. The words "to control the human mind" infers that some "other", besides a human being, is the one in charge and/or doing the 'controlling' here.
4. Is the big bang story also a psychological operation, apparently, to control the human mind as well?

If yes, then why, and by who?

But if no, then why not?
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 am Man has been writing stories since the dawn of time, the stories became ever more elaborate even though the stories were just rehashed or re-packaged old ideas made to look new.
If 'you', the one known as "dontaskme" here, wants to start a new story, or elaborate more on other stories, then I suggested be Truly Honest. Saying, " Man has been writing stories since the 'dawn of time' " is obviously False and UNTRUE.

The saying, "the dawn of time" usually refers to the big bang or when God created Everything. Now;
1. The, so called, "big bang" has never been proven to be the beginning of Everything, and thus proven to be the beginning of 'time'.
2. God creating Everything, including 'time', in one 'moment' has also never be proven to be true.
3. Even if one or both of these were true, then it is obvious that human beings (or "man" as some illogically wrongly say) have only been around for a few million years or so. The Universe, which 'you', human beings, exist within has been around for longer than that minuscule period of 'time'. So, the claim that human beings have been writing stories for longer than they have been existing for is an obviously False story, and a story just elaborated on from other False stories.

'you', "dontaskme" are just rehashing or re-packaging the old ideas of which you have, unfortunately, been exposed to and have come accustomed to.

Oh, and by the way, if we want to LOOK AT the True and WHOLE story, there is NO 'dawn of time'.
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 am There is,was nothing new under the sun.
So, to 'you' there is absolutely NOTHING that changes, correct?

Also, the WHOLE story and picture is bigger and more than what just appears "under the sun", as some say.
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 am All that was known since the dawn of man, the apparent author in time, is also the same knowing that is known now. Nothing has changed.
Is this ABSOLUTELY True?
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 am Words used over and over again appearing in many many different ways, but all saying the same old things.
Are 'you' ABSOLUTELY SURE of this?
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 am Stories believed was a form of mind control because the mind had the capacity to be a manipulator and a controller of it's environment and other minds.
Did 'you' inform 'us' of what the 'mind' actually is, above?
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 am Authors soon became aware that their ''thoughts'' could manifest as belief structures, that would and could be the cause of all ensuing chaos and division, spelling trouble that would have had to be controlled. Mind controlled. It's been happening since the dawn of human language.
Could 'you', "dontaskme", being doing and/or 'trying to' do this very same thing right here and right now?
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 am The enlightened see through the story as the fiction it is, others, believe the story is real, and live with their delusion until the day they die, or they wake up from their delusions at the moment of death.
If 'you' say so. then 'it' must be so, correct?

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:57 pm Any reinterpretation of the Bible or the Koran is merely a rehashing of ancient myths and fables.
Regarding the human condition, one can find as much truth in Grimms Fairytales of Mother Goose.

When the mind mistakes itself to be the character in the story, it believes it must have been created, and then seeks out the creator.
The only problem is, no such mind exists, except as a myth, a belief. The mind loves a good story, for there is no where else to frame it's sense of self reference. Without the mind for my projection screen, where do I happen?

God is an illusion too.
Sounds like 'one' is making up, and believing, their OWN story here.
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:57 pm Be gentle with me, for I know not what I do, including what I am saying. :D

There might be more Truth to this then one Truly realizes YET.

Post by Age »

Advocate wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:27 am There is nothing in the bible of any more importance or aesthetic value than what can be found in a decent sociology textbook, and far less history.
What are you using the word 'decent' here relative to, exactly?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Age post_id=506341 time=1617752944 user_id=16237]
[quote=Advocate post_id=506035 time=1617578846 user_id=15238]
There is nothing in the bible of any more importance or aesthetic value than what can be found in a decent sociology textbook, and far less history.
[/quote]

What are you using the word 'decent' here relative to, exactly?
[/quote]

Not postmodern mostly.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

There are many things can be said about The Bible, some of them even valid criticisms, but "lacks importance" is not one of them.

Just saying ...
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=mickthinks post_id=506429 time=1617801334 user_id=59]
There are many things can be said about The Bible, some of them even valid criticisms, but "lacks importance" is not one of them.

Just saying ...
[/quote]

The importance of which you speak is arbitrary. Any book could, and some have, had as much relevance but as a book it has nothing to offer other than that which many other books could offer at least as well. The "importance" of Harry Potter is also imaginary, arbitrary, and temporary.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Y'know, this is a topic one might think I might be interested in. And, in fact, I can think of many ways in which an intelligent discussion about the merits and relevance of the Bible might be had...And, of course, in such a genuinely philosophical discussion, I might have something to offer...

But in the present case, the opening statement is just so blindingly ignorant, so utterly devoid of facts, so oblivious to history, law and literature, and so bereft of substance, that I really can't think of one thing I can say to save it.

So I'm out. Carry on as you see fit, I guess.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

No, Advocate, it's the importance of which you speak ("... nothing of more importance than in a decent sociology textbook ...") that is arbitrary. I was talking about "importance" generally, or if you prefer to consider "importances" to be a plurality, then I was refering to most (perhaps all) of them.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="Immanuel Can" post_id=506439 time=1617803311 user_id=9431]
Y'know, this is a topic one might think I might be interested in. And, in fact, I can think of many ways in which an intelligent discussion about the merits and relevance of the Bible might be had...And, of course, in such a genuinely philosophical discussion, I might have something to offer...

But in the present case, the opening statement is just so blindingly ignorant, so utterly devoid of facts, so oblivious to history, law and literature, and so bereft of substance, that I really can't think of one thing I can say to save it.

So I'm out. Carry on as you see fit, I guess.
[/quote]

My OP here is already better than anything you've "added", so please stop responding to me, ever, anywhere.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=mickthinks post_id=506440 time=1617803339 user_id=59]
No, Advocate, it's the importance of which [i]you[/i] speak ("... nothing of more importance than in a decent sociology textbook ...") that is arbitrary. I was talking about "importance" generally, or if you prefer to consider "importances" to be a plurality, then I was refering to most (perhaps all) of them.
[/quote]

Beanie Babies were also "important" in the sense you seem to mean. That's not the one i'm spreaking about. Anything that catches the public eye is important in that sense. But that's a false sense of value because the public eye does not, and can not, confer Actual importance.

of great significance or value
having serious meaning or worth

If you choose "great significance", sure. If you choose "great value", only imaginary, selfish, ignorant, oafish, and temporary, not great.
"Serious meaning"? Sure, some people find it meaningful, but they can't be serious because they have not seriously examined it's Actual worth. "Serious worth"? Don't make me laugh. It's a compilation of ancient ignorance and not even historical.

The typical definitions obviously aren't sufficient so let me try again without the word important.

The Bible is a stupid book that has caused vast amounts of harm for stupid reasons. How's that? Care to argue that point?
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Whether the Bible is an important book is a matter of fact, in which I believe you were mistaken. You've accepted that and retracted.

Whether the Bible is a stupid book is a matter of opinion, and you are entitled to yours. It's not a very impressive one, but I guess you don't mind. I'm not going to to try to get you to change it.