Putting ''Immanuel Can'' In The Religious Spotlight Part 3

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Putting ''Immanuel Can'' In The Religious Spotlight Part 3

Post by Walker »

As long as you continue to keep the caution in mind for the welfare and protection of Christianity, you're gold.
As long as you're not making a plaything out of it, for your sake, like a cat batting around a rodent.

There's a time to discuss, and as the video shows, a time to get on with it ... according to conditions.

"Maximal chance," means until the end of life ... as we know it, although you may have a different meaning.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Walker wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:45 pm "Maximal chance," means until the end of life ... as we know it, although you may have a different meaning.
Well, I'm not speaking of the person -- because you never give up on a person -- but of the conversation.

As you and I both recognize, there's a time when it has the potential to be profitable, and a point at which one's interlocutor has given up any thought of reasoning...and often descended into petty attempts at mere derision, shock through blasphemy or gratuitous vulgarity of other kinds. And Biblically, at that point, you pack it in, as in Acts 18:6.

At that point, you've done all you can do, and should move on. Persisting just means they did their own hole deeper. So it's not kind to persist, then.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:52 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:46 pm
Walker wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:26 am Could you explain?

On the surface, it appears to be the hubris of martyrdom.
:D Do I seem like I'm in for the hair shirt and self-flagellation... :lol:

No, it's not that. I like to give people a chance to tell me what they think, so long as there is some profit in going forward. Sometimes people get mad and say things they don't mean, or temporarily deflect and then return to sense. Being patient is fine. But you're right about this...that when it gets to the point that the dialogue becomes permanently uncivil or permanently disingenuous, you're best to cut your losses.

Dialogue is a bit of a wasteful process. Some of it will turn out useful, and some not so much. But that's okay.
There’s a difference between philosophical discussion, and some jackass ignorantly jerking you around for the sake of defiling Christianity, which I think is what has been directed towards you, btw.

This is the most inspiring video I’ve seen in a quite awhile. Everyone should see it, although it’s the stuff that gets censored … just as dislikes of Biden get erased from youtube.

The wrathful guardian says, “I don’t want to hear a word.”
https://amp.thepostmillennial.com/calga ... o-get-out/
Your the queen of all A holes here, constantly shouting down other peoples beliefs in your pathetic panic to preserve your own precious belief.

We’re not all the same believers or philosophers here, get over it.
Mannie has a beautiful heart, don’t be jealous.

You take yourself way too seriously..I actually feel sorry for your blackening heart.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:32 pm You take yourself way too seriously..I actually feel sorry for your blackening heart.
Aw, c'mon, DAM. Walker's okay.

We don't have to agree in all opinions in order to get along.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:39 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:32 pm You take yourself way too seriously..I actually feel sorry for your blackening heart.
Aw, c'mon, DAM. Walker's okay.

We don't have to agree in all opinions in order to get along.
I don’t care who’s a Christian or who’s the Queen of Sheba....this is the internet...and if you’re going to put your opinions out there you’re going to have them challenged even critiqued...he seriously needs to stop being such a big cry baby.

I don’t like him. He’s the one who has a problem with my opinions..he starts the fights, then has a massive melt down when I dare to fight back.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:52 pm ....this is the internet...and if you’re going to put your opinions out there you’re going to have them challenged even critiqued...
Fair enough. But that's the opinion, not the person.
I don’t like him.
That's a statement about the person, not about his opinions.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:00 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:52 pm ....this is the internet...and if you’re going to put your opinions out there you’re going to have them challenged even critiqued...
Fair enough. But that's the opinion, not the person.
I don’t like him.
They come together...I’ve never once been able to separate a thought from its thinker.

I won’t be sending him a Christmas card..end of.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:07 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:00 pm
I don’t like him.
They come together...I’ve never once been able to separate a thought from its thinker.
We should, though...if for no other reason than to seek truth. For while it may be fair to say some people are truthful and some are liars, even a liar is forced to speak truth at least 1/2 the time...and more, if he is really deceptive.

So whether a person is speaking truth or not on this occasion is never dependent on who he is, but on the content of what he actually said on that occasion.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:25 pmWe should, though...if for no other reason than to seek truth.

For while it may be fair to say some people are truthful and some are liars, even a liar is forced to speak truth at least 1/2 the time...and more, if he is really deceptive.

So whether a person is speaking truth or not on this occasion is never dependent on who he is, but on the content of what he actually said on that occasion.
There is no seeker, the idea of yourself, is a trick of the brain that fools itself into believing.
Nothing ever seeks itself. Everything is already immediately present and correct. Nothing is missing.
As long as you seek you will remain lost, in a fools game.
Acceptance of what is - is the immediacy of being. There is nothing more to it than that. Everything else is narrative, an auditory illusion of sound and light heard as words. A conceptual overlay that has no more substance or location than that of a rainbow.
Nothing transcends itself, that which only appears to transcend, NEVER transcends.

“Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion.” – Democritus.

The human civilization started taking its full pace once the idea of embracing views and opinion mutually had established.
Language was a tool, that propelled the evolution of the human species forward that's all. There is nothing mystical about it, it's just a pure raw natural automatic sensory function, unique, but not special.

You can believe in what ever you want IC... I just express my own opinion, as do you, as do we all.

Opinions are only right and wrong within the framework of the dual nature of langaguge, in the illusory dream of separation. In reality everything is as it is and is a total mystery to the mind. Only the mind can know itself, as a narrative, aka a story.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:10 am I just express my own opinion, as do you, as do we all. Opinions are only right and wrong within the framework of the dual nature of langaguge,
Well, no. Opinions are only right or wrong as they conform or fail to conform to the truth.

An opinion that something false is true is worse than useless; it's always also actually harmful.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:53 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:10 am I just express my own opinion, as do you, as do we all. Opinions are only right and wrong within the framework of the dual nature of langaguge,
Well, no. Opinions are only right or wrong as they conform or fail to conform to the truth.

An opinion that something false is true is worse than useless; it's always also actually harmful.
Yes it’s harmful when a truth turns out to be a lie, or a lie turns out to be a truth. That’s all part of the human narrative.

Life and death is a mystery...Fact.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:48 pm Yes it’s harmful when a truth turns out to be a lie, or a lie turns out to be a truth.
Ah, yes...but HOW does that happen?

Does a "truth turn out to be a lie" or a "lie turn out to be the truth" when a person merely happens to change his/her opinion?

Or does it happen when the belief in question "turns out" not to conform to reality?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:50 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:48 pm Yes it’s harmful when a truth turns out to be a lie, or a lie turns out to be a truth.

Does a "truth turn out to be a lie" or a "lie turn out to be the truth" when a person merely happens to change his/her opinion?

Or does it happen when the belief in question "turns out" not to conform to reality?
Reality doesn’t have a model.

Humans have models.

People change their mind all the time, to suit their whim. Theories come and go.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:57 pm

Nobody said it did. There's no word "model" above.

But you could answer the question...
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:02 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:57 pm

Nobody said it did. There's no word "model" above.

But you could answer the question...
Opinions are synonymous with models.

I’m saying reality doesn’t have an opinion..people do, perception of reality is a very lot not what reality actually is..In my opinion.

I know for a fact, that both life and death are and will always be a mystery to the mind.