What happens to those who believe in God?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

What happens to those who believe in God?

Post by Dontaskme »

The answer is nothing will happen, or change for you. In fact your life, the one you know to exist, will still go on experiencing pain, and suffering, and brokenhearted thoughts of crippling depression, utter despair, and sheer hopelessness. You will still get horrible diseases and suffer agonising disabilities as they make themselves at home in your body.. You will still be susceptible and be at great risk of being in a nasty car crash breaking every bone in your body and having to go through months and months of painful slow recovery. You will still be subject to being tortured by other people or wild animals. You will still be at risk of being eaten alive by a shark. You will still be at risk of being shot by a gun wielding maniac or stabbed horribly 100 times in the stomach and neck by a knife wielding maniac. You will still be abused and beated by your alcoholic parents. You will still be mentally bullied relentlessly until you feel so low and defeated that your only escape is to kill yourself, which will be a terrible hopeless and frightening experience you'll ever have to face.

And this is just a few of the millions of negative things that will happen to you when you believe in God.

I'll add some more things that will happen to you when I can think of them.

Sculptor

Re: What happens to those who believe in God?

Post by Sculptor »

Nothing substantive happens to those that beleive in god, its pretty much the same for those that do not.
There are, however, serious complications that can develop from this belief, which, thankfully for most does not occur.
Most people say they believe but conintue to live their lives as if they do not, or do not care, or do not know or care to know how that fact ought to change their behaviour. Some might perform a token visit to church for weddings, births and funerals, maybe pop in for xmas mass - then go back to their daily lives as if they are atheists.
For a small minority of thinking people, the result of belief can be devestating since they consider that some sort of adherence to advice in various scriptures is a necessary path for redemption and a future state. Humans being clever enough to fool themselves, but not clever or brave enough to see the multitude of contradictions and inconsistencied in the scriptures tend to successfully cherry pick their way through the minefield of absurdity.
But with any cutural virus, such things can spread. This particular one has the germs of its own propogation since the rewards are contigent on spreading the virus further.

A severe infection can lead to a person also wanting to spread the virus.
There is hope. A little more thinking can provide a full cure.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

what happens is, reinforcement of belief and trust in God in one's relationship with God, or, the reinforcement of one's belief and trust that there is no God because they have no nor are looking for a relationship with God. which does happen in this life.

as far as living the same life in the flesh as anyone else well this life is in the flesh why would you think it ought to be any different then anyone else's in the flesh? its the same life all receive when born into the world. flesh is made of earth what do you expect its destiny to be?

but its kinda like this as far as what the difference is, the believer in Christ is judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. and man's judgement is always death, and always results in death. whereas God's judgement is Life, Life everlasting. that which is of earth remains in earth that which is of God remains with God. there's a whole series of well know books that explain all that.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:04 pm what happens is, reinforcement of belief and trust in God in one's relationship with God, or, the reinforcement of one's belief and trust that there is no God because they have no nor are looking for a relationship with God. which does happen in this life.

as far as living the same life in the flesh as anyone else well this life is in the flesh why would you think it ought to be any different then anyone else's in the flesh? its the same life all receive when born into the world. flesh is made of earth what do you expect its destiny to be?

but its kinda like this as far as what the difference is, the believer in Christ is judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. and man's judgement is always death, and always results in death. whereas God's judgement is Life, Life everlasting. that which is of earth remains in earth that which is of God remains with God. there's a whole series of well know books that explain all that.
But what's wrong with death anyway? it's like you seem to think life is always the best option here.

I'm saying that I'd personally want death, or non-existence, or never having coming into existence at all, rather than life. Knowing what life is like, why would I want life when I can have death? surely in death, or non-existence, I wouldn't have to go through all the tribulations of living. I personally think the dead ones are the luckiest ones.

So convince me, there is something I am missing here?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:46 pm Nothing substantive happens to those that beleive in god, its pretty much the same for those that do not.
There are, however, serious complications that can develop from this belief, which, thankfully for most does not occur.
Most people say they believe but conintue to live their lives as if they do not, or do not care, or do not know or care to know how that fact ought to change their behaviour. Some might perform a token visit to church for weddings, births and funerals, maybe pop in for xmas mass - then go back to their daily lives as if they are atheists.
For a small minority of thinking people, the result of belief can be devestating since they consider that some sort of adherence to advice in various scriptures is a necessary path for redemption and a future state. Humans being clever enough to fool themselves, but not clever or brave enough to see the multitude of contradictions and inconsistencied in the scriptures tend to successfully cherry pick their way through the minefield of absurdity.
But with any cutural virus, such things can spread. This particular one has the germs of its own propogation since the rewards are contigent on spreading the virus further.

Thanks for your comments, which are of a decent sensibility of what's really happening here.

But I really don't think there is a cure for the virus that is human thought.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:22 pm
DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:04 pm what happens is, reinforcement of belief and trust in God in one's relationship with God, or, the reinforcement of one's belief and trust that there is no God because they have no nor are looking for a relationship with God. which does happen in this life.

But what's wrong with death anyway? it's like you seem to think life is always the best option here.

I'm saying that I'd personally want death, or non-existence, or never having coming into existence at all, rather than life. Knowing what life is like, why would I want life when I can have death? surely in death, or non-existence, I wouldn't have to go through all the tribulations of living. I personally think the dead ones are the luckiest ones.

So convince me, there is something I am missing here?
just because one is dead to the world, doesn't mean they don't exist, or don't live. the resurrection of Christ proves that. or even though one doesn't believe Christ, people are technically dead on the operating table all the time now a days, they are dead to the world as in the world doesn't perceive their living being, or the flesh itself is dead, but when revived there they are their being perceived by the world again.

dead to is one thing, and non-existent is another. you might not want put your money on "non-existent" because you prefer it. there's a whole lot a documentation that says otherwise.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:28 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:46 pm Nothing substantive happens to those that beleive in god, its pretty much the same for those that do not.

Thanks for your comments, which are of a decent sensibility of what's really happening here.

without getting preachy, there's not supposed to be a cure, a replacement yes, but there is no cure.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Yes, there is. You only need apply reason and evidence, and the god virus disappears.
It disappears with no adverse consequences.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:43 pm
just because one is dead to the world, doesn't mean they don't exist, or don't live.
My mother is dead, died at the age of 46, I haven't seen her since, nor spoken with her, nor hugged her. She is gone, she aint here anymore. That she is not alive anymore is a fact. I will never see her again. That to me really sucks.
DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:43 pmthe resurrection of Christ proves that. or even though one doesn't believe Christ, people are technically dead on the operating table all the time now a days, they are dead to the world as in the world doesn't perceive their living being, or the flesh itself is dead, but when revived there they are their being perceived by the world again.
I know you like to believe in the resurrection. But until I see with my own physical eyes, my mother walk through my front door, what you try to convince me, will be seen as meaningless, futile and pointless.
DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:43 pmdead to is one thing, and non-existent is another. you might not want put your money on "non-existent" because you prefer it. there's a whole lot a documentation that says otherwise.
I don't know what you mean.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:50 pm
Yes, there is. You only need apply reason and evidence, and the god virus disappears.
I agree the God virus can disappear, but what about the self inflicting torture virus, will that ever disappear?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:47 pm
without getting preachy, there's not supposed to be a cure, a replacement yes, but there is no cure.
What on earth is a replacement for human thought?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Some more wonderful things that will happen to you when you believe in God.

Getting buried alive in red hot lava.

Being tossed around like a towel in a washing machine during a tsunami.

Being crushed to death under your own house rubble, the house you have always dreamed of, the one you lovingly built with your own bare hands, only to watch it cascade all over you leaving you dead or with life changing crippling injuries.

Drowning in the icy deep after your multi million pound liner sinks to the bottom of the ocean due to man-made error in ship design.

Feeling the terror at knowing the airplane in which you are a passenger taking you to your dream island in the sun is going to crash into a mountain due to both pilots falling ill and unconscious at the same time from food poisoning they caught at the airport lounge prior to boarding the plane. Either that or there is an engine failure, or worse, both engines failing at the same time.

Your new born baby has been born blind.

Your 3 year old child has just been diagnosed with incurable cancer.

Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:54 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:50 pm
I agree the God virus can disappear, but what about the self inflicting torture virus, will that ever disappear?
And what exactly is that?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:30 pm Some more wonderful things that will happen to you when you believe in God.

Getting buried alive in red hot lava.
Nope. Or at least unlikely, and not related to belief in god.

Being tossed around like a towel in a washing machine during a tsunami.
I understans launderettes still exist with large enough machines if you are into that.

Being crushed to death under your own house rubble, the house you have always dreamed of, the one you lovingly built with your own bare hands, only to watch it cascade all over you leaving you dead or with life changing crippling injuries.

Drowning in the icy deep after your multi million pound liner sinks to the bottom of the ocean due to man-made error in ship design.

Feeling the terror at knowing the airplane in which you are a passenger taking you to your dream island in the sun is going to crash into a mountain due to both pilots falling ill and unconscious at the same time from food poisoning they caught at the airport lounge prior to boarding the plane. Either that or there is an engine failure, or worse, both engines failing at the same time.

Your new born baby has been born blind.

Your 3 year old child has just been diagnosed with incurable cancer.

The last two things can happen. But once again they happen with a frequency unrelated to belief in god, gods, or anything else.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

The point of this thread was to emphasize the pointless futility of believing in an almighty supreme god being. It makes no difference whether there is belief or not, nothing is going to change the fact that life for sentient creatures, especially those who have a mind is suffering and pain and death.

Whatever happens no one gets out of here alive, you are all going to die, and some are going to die in disgusting horrific unimaginable torturous ways at the hands of their own species, in other words, life is sick and broken and is more closer to living in hell without doubt.

There is no evidence of any awareness higher than human sentient awareness, there simply is nothing more known outside of human language and awareness. If there is, then it's only a story, an imagined world made from the human mind itself, in other words other worlds are pure fantasy. There is only this toxic world called earth.

This is all there is, you are born alone, you live alone, and you will die alone. Nothing cares because there is nothing here, just pointless sensations for no reason or purpose, it's all so meaningless.