PLEASE DEFINE "SIN"

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hermit Philosopher

Re: PLEASE DEFINE "SIN"

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

Since his fall, it is Man’s natural instinct to do so, but whenever he chooses to act from ego, he is sinning against Divine Will.

Obvious access to Divine Perspective - the bird’s eye view of God - was lost to Man when his ego grew so large that it obstructed his understanding of the Whole; leaving him to manage only by the limited experience of his personal senses.

Since then, he who wishes to regain full perspective, must first learn to tame his ego. Once he re-accesses Divine Perspective, sin will no longer seem natural, desirable or inevitable to him again.

Humbly
Hermit
ReverendGrandmother

Post by ReverendGrandmother »

bahman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:29 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:42 am-
What God prohibit, regardless of what it is.
You can be fairly confident that if God prohibits something, it is a sin.

However, does it make sense to jump from that to "It is a sin BECAUSE God prohibits it"? If we make this jump, then we get into the circular "God forbids sin because God forbids sin."

Cheers,
Grandma
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

selfishness.

nothing more nor less
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

the opposite is selflsesness - to give your lifef for a friend (which i i rem correctly is mentioned in your bible ) - and is of course a Virtue.

along with Humility - vs Pride a vise, and similar to Sin/selfishnes.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Skip wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:36 pm Sin is a transgression against what one considers sacred - whether that's a deity, nature, a human collective, an oath or pledge, blood kin or one's own integrity.
no, if one is a retrobate and acts according to that code then he is sinning, if he acts outside of his person code and does right, then he is sniing per his person code - what you are talking about os moral reativism, whicich i reject.
Skip wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:36 pm When committing a transgression, an adult generally know whether the act he's committing is a sin, a crime, a misdemeanour, an infraction or a mischief. He generally knows what penance he deserves, according to the mores and standards of his tribe.
ys most folks do wrong knowing they are doing wrong, a few are legal insane and think that killing a kid in tier front yard is in self defense to prevent the UFO's from invading the earth - efer to Hurb Mullin who killed folk prevent earthquake via Go that would kill more if Herb did not act and kill a few to prevent sai earthquak.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Skip wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:24 pm Or:
any act which damages 'the soul' if one believes in the existence of souls;
if not:
a deliberate act in contravention of one's most cherished convictions
u8mmmm, no tell your above to Hilter - who killed millions and slept soulding at night - fullfilling his souls desire to murder.

of course he hated himself and the million he killed were via tranfirnace of the coward/bully - ahd he ball he would have blown his brains out in 32 - not 45 - but nonetheles his sou expanded and was well fed and he slept fine for those 12 yr.

so no you are wron in your view of sin
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:23 pm
DPMartin wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:22 pm
why? sin has been well defined and understood for thousands of years by those who mainly have a concern for avoiding it. are you looking to redefine it?
How does this sit with you regarding of whom is the sinner.

A man that God has tested literally put this man through what can only be conceived as hell, via TESTS. To the point that this man (a Christian btw) has SUFFERED more than Christ.

This man, is a good man, and decides to kill a paedophile ""man"" - he kills.

Which is the greatest sinner? God, or the man that killed the paedophile that would have continued to ruin the lives of many others?
Only our God has the power (and right?) - to give life, same with death.

for oen to kill another is to take the role of God - and overstep himself - for that man did not give the man he killed life decaded before (only your god did so) - so only your god has the right to end live.

-----I'm not a christian, so affirm efl defense, taking anothers life to preserve mine - if i were a Christian i would not have have that view -a nd allow the man to kill me me not haivn ght eright to take his life.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Hermit Philosopher wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:17 pm Since his fall, it is Man’s natural instinct to do so, but whenever he chooses to act from ego, he is sinning against Divine Will.

Obvious access to Divine Perspective - the bird’s eye view of God - was lost to Man when his ego grew so large that it obstructed his understanding of the Whole; leaving him to manage only by the limited experience of his personal senses.

Since then, he who wishes to regain full perspective, must first learn to tame his ego. Once he re-accesses Divine Perspective, sin will no longer seem natural, desirable or inevitable to him again.

Humbly
Hermit
fully agree ego = selfishness.
s
of course i'm just an athiest self son of a bitch.