"In the beginning God created ...."

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tillingborn

Re: "In the beginning God created ...."

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:41 am
tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:42 am This guy massively overestimates his wit.
This guy is an idiot.
This guy is boring.
Apparently that's circular.

According to the rules of your religion... it baaaaad.
But true.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:42 am But true.
All truth is interpretation so, who cares?

In 2021 believing in truth is a quite like believing in God.
Last edited by Skepdick on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:50 am
tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:42 amBut true.
All truth is interpretation so, who cares?

In 2021 believing in truth is a quite like believing in God.
Truth is validity rather than soundness. We are presented with a range of propositions, such as 'God exists' or 'killing your enemies is wrong', which are entirely subjective opinions. We listen to a variety of arguments built on those propositions and decide which one we like best for reasons that are fundamentally the same as the reasons we might have a favourite book or film. Truth only applies within a context. You think you are the only person who knows this, but philosophers have been saying as much for the past two and a half thousand years.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:29 am Truth is validity rather than soundness.
What you are describing is called a tautology, not truth. True in every possible interpretation.

A valid argument is always valid, even when it's unsound.

tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:29 am We are presented with a range of propositions, such as 'God exists' or 'killing your enemies is wrong', which are entirely subjective opinions. We listen to a variety of arguments built on those propositions and decide which one we like best for reasons that are fundamentally the same as the reasons we might have a favourite book or film. Truth only applies within a context.

Both validity and soundness require a point of departure: premises.

I am curious how you obtain ANY of those except via induction, and if your deductive premises are obtained via induction then... how could they be true when they aren not even wrong? Garbage in - Garbage out.
tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:29 am You think you are the only person who knows this, but philosophers have been saying as much for the past two and a half thousand years.
I don't think anything of that sort. I know I am not the only person who knows it, I am just wondering why all the other people who know this stuff like to pretend it's not true.

Q.E.D you insist on using deductive reasoning. But deductive reasoning only works in axiomatic systems. And reality isn't one of those. You know this, right?
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 am
tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:29 am Truth is validity rather than soundness.
What you are describing is called a tautology
If that is what you call a tautology, then you do not understand how everyone else on the planet uses that term.
Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 am, not truth. True in every possible interpretation.
That would require a tautology: you would have to define 'truth' in some way that is synonymous with 'is true'.
Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 amA valid argument is always valid, even when it's unsound.
Apparently this is so new to you, you believe it is worth mentioning. Welcome to the club; you now know something everyone else does.
Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 amBoth validity and soundness require a point of departure: premises.
Another TA-DA! moment for you. Don't get too excited, a premise is just a proposition that has found its way into an argument.
Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 amI am curious how you obtain ANY of those except via induction,
You shouldn't be: I have made my point that many premises are adopted pretty much for their flavour.
Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 amQ.E.D you insist on using deductive reasoning. But deductive reasoning only works in axiomatic systems. And reality isn't one of those. You know this, right?
That you still have to ask is further evidence that you massively overestimate your wit, that you are an idiot and that you are boring.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 pm If that is what you call a tautology, then you do not understand how everyone else on the planet uses that term.
And I don't think you have a criterion for assessing understanding, but hey...
tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 pm Apparently this is so new to you, you believe it is worth mentioning. Welcome to the club; you now know something everyone else does.
Why are you welcoming me only now? I've known this about as long as everybody else.

This isn't the point. The point is why aren't you using your knowledge in practice?
tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 pm Another TA-DA! moment for you. Don't get too excited, a premise is just a proposition that has found its way into an argument.
A premise is a proposition? And so now that you've likened it to something else what does that change?
The premise found its way? What it just got lost?

No. The person making the argument chose that premise. Lets not trip over anthropomorphism here.
tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 pm You shouldn't be: I have made my point that many premises are adopted pretty much for their flavour.
Ah, but choice! Why that flavour and not another one?
tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 pm That you still have to ask is further evidence that you massively overestimate your wit, that you are an idiot and that you are boring.
How do I respond to this when it's not even wrong?

For somebody who brings grater wit, less idiocy and far less boredom to the table, you sure can't say much about WHY you make the choices that you make. You describe your qualitative entirety in a word: aesthetics.

Heh! The poverty of your vocabulary speaks to the volume of your knowledge.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:57 pmHeh! The poverty of your vocabulary speaks to the volume of your knowledge.
I'm here to learn Skepdick. What have you got?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:10 pm I'm here to learn Skepdick. What have you got?
Top Gear top tip: Know-what (facts) are inferior forms of knowledge to know-how and know-why.

Facts are useless if you don't know what to do with them and why. Reason is a slave to passion...
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:40 am If I make a decision not for objective reasons that you can share, and to which all rational people would be bound to subscribe, my reasons must be subjective. Call such reasons what you will; my word is aesthetic.
No, if "all rational people would be bound to subscribe" to something, then you must be rational, not aesthetic. If you are aesthetic in your thinking, then nobody is "bound" to "subscribe" to it at all.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:14 pm
tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:10 pmI'm here to learn Skepdick. What have you got?
Top Gear top tip: Know-what (facts) are inferior forms of knowledge to know-how and know-why.
Facts are useless if you don't know what to do with them and why.
If you had to sum up David Hume in a couple of sentences, that's a pretty good job. If you stick with philosophy long enough what you will find is that after thousands of years and billions of thoughts, the people who think their ideas are unique are just ignorant. The people whose ideas really are unique are mental.
Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:14 pmReason is a slave to passion...
Hume says passion, I say aesthetic; whatever floats your boat.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:22 pm
tillingborn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:40 am If I make a decision not for objective reasons that you can share, and to which all rational people would be bound to subscribe, my reasons must be subjective. Call such reasons what you will; my word is aesthetic.
No, if "all rational people would be bound to subscribe" to something, then you must be rational, not aesthetic. If you are aesthetic in your thinking, then nobody is "bound" to "subscribe" to it at all.
Brandolini was right. You are too stupid, too vain, too fearful, too insane, too something to realise, or acknowledge that what we believe is a matter of choice. The same choice you insist your God endowed us with. You choose what to believe then you are rational.
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

tillingborn wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:01 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:22 pm
Brandolini was right. You are too stupid, too vain, too fearful, too insane, too something to realise, or acknowledge that what we believe is a matter of choice. The same choice you insist your God endowed us with. You choose what to believe then you are rational.
I see that it appears people have experienced the same type of behavior as I recently have from Immanuel. "Too fearful" is what my impression of him mostly is, with a propensity to obsess about the 'proper' use of language with the addition of a superiority complex. Hard to reach out to he is.
I do doubt that any real god taught Immanuel to behave the way he does...but acknowledge the shame/shadow cast by his behavior has on the very notion of a creator.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

tillingborn wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:01 pm You are...
You are ad hominem. And you are fearful of logic, apparently.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:41 pm If you had to sum up David Hume in a couple of sentences, that's a pretty good job. If you stick with philosophy long enough what you will find is that after thousands of years and billions of thoughts, the people who think their ideas are unique are just ignorant. The people whose ideas really are unique are mental.
Oh. You are still pursuing ideas for their uniqueness? As if that's a heuristic for anything of value.

Indeed, that is an ignorant pursuit. Alas go forth with the neomania.

Ideas are instruments for solving problems. If you don't have any problems - you don't need any ideas. Yes, the instrumentalists said that already - yet you are busy re-discovering it.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:50 am
tillingborn wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:41 pm If you had to sum up David Hume in a couple of sentences, that's a pretty good job. If you stick with philosophy long enough what you will find is that after thousands of years and billions of thoughts, the people who think their ideas are unique are just ignorant. The people whose ideas really are unique are mental.
Oh. You are still pursuing ideas for their uniqueness?
Seriously? Do you really think that is implied in what I said?