Now listen carefully, this is my God explained.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Now listen carefully, this is my God explained.

Post by Dontaskme »

Conceptual mind comes up with a vast amount of words to explain that which it is incapable of understanding.
In so doing, it imagines that it understands.
When asked to define the meaning of it's creations, it falters, and comes up with even more words.
It then imagines that that clarifies it's stance.

Terrapin Station

Re: Now listen carefully, this is my God explained.

Post by Terrapin Station »

Say what?

Are you basically suggesting that "God" is a term for "something we don't (and/or aren't capable of) understanding"? If so, what would people referring to God think they're referring to? Are you saying that they'd have in mind that the term is basically a variable for "stuff I don't understand" when folks use the term? (In other words, that they literally have that idea in mind, that they're using the term as a variable for "stuff I don't understand"?)
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:19 am Conceptual mind comes up with a vast amount of words to explain that which it is incapable of understanding.
When asked to define the meaning of it's creations, it falters, and comes up with even more words.

That is how ALL symbolism works.

When you place the utmost significance on a term ANY term you have arrived at symbolism.

God. Philosophy. Science. Justice. Righteousness. Freedom. LIberty. Intellectualism. Wisdom. Understanding. Knowledge.

Around here you'll find plenty people who place tremendous import on at least some of those symbols.

Stand by for demonstration...
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:10 pm
Symbols.

Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:05 pm Say what?

Are you basically suggesting that "God" is a term for "something we don't (and/or aren't capable of) understanding"? If so, what would people referring to God think they're referring to? Are you saying that they'd have in mind that the term is basically a variable for "stuff I don't understand" when folks use the term? (In other words, that they literally have that idea in mind, that they're using the term as a variable for "stuff I don't understand"?)
Say what?

Are you basically suggesting that "understanding" is a term for "something we don't (and/or aren't capable of) groking"? If so, what would people referring to understanding think they're referring to? Are you saying that they'd have in mind that the term is basically a variable for "stuff I don't grok" when folks use the term? (In other words, that they literally have that idea in mind, that they're using the term as a variable for "stuff I don't grok"?)
bahman

Post by bahman »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:19 am Conceptual mind comes up with a vast amount of words to explain that which it is incapable of understanding.

The creation is the act of bringing something out of nothing.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Eh!? Eh!?

:lol:

If you’re comfortable on your plateau of understanding then the only harm from snuggling into that for the duration is never getting a glimpse of the next plateau of understanding, let alone the peaks that surround the next plateau, or the next plateau after that, or the next plateau and its pointy guardian peaks after that.

For many, the purpose of life is getting it all figured out to a degree that causes the least personal suffering and discomfort, and then maintaining that order. The defense for sticking to a known plateau boils down to cost/benefit analysis applied to time. With the finish line in sight what’s the point of changing the race if the end comes in mid-stride while you’re still figuring out your finishing place in the universe.

The permanent encampment on the cozy plateau of understanding that disregards what doesn’t fit, is not to be judged harshly, because in the end the only difference between a cozy plateau ending and the mountain-top ending is the view.

"Klaatu! barada! nikto!"
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:31 pm The creation is the act of bringing something out of nothing.
Then it was an act of nothing being created.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Walker wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:34 pm Eh!? Eh!?

If you’re comfortable on your plateau of understanding then the only harm from snuggling into that for the duration is never getting a glimpse of the next plateau of understanding, let alone the peaks that surround the next plateau, or the next plateau after that, or the next plateau and its pointy guardian peaks after that.

For many, the purpose of life is getting it all figured out to a degree that causes the least personal suffering and discomfort, and then maintaining that order. The defense for sticking to a known plateau boils down to cost/benefit analysis applied to time. With the finish line in sight what’s the point of changing the race if the end comes in mid-stride while you’re still figuring out your finishing place in the universe.

The permanent encampment on the cozy plateau of understanding that disregards what doesn’t fit, is not to be judged harshly, because in the end the only difference between a cozy plateau ending and the mountain-top ending is the view.

"Klaatu! barada! nikto!"
Sounds like "understanding" is your God.

You haven't yet murdered it, probably because you haven't found it yet.

When you understand that there is nothing to be understood then you'll know you are at the summit. The view is amazing up here ;)
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:34 pm Eh!? Eh!?

Pondering Petty Pointless Plagiarized Platitudes. Piles of Pretensely Prosed Plateaus Properly Placed in Place. :)

Walker wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:34 pmFor many, the purpose of life is getting it all figured out to a degree that causes the least personal suffering and discomfort, and then maintaining that order. The defense for sticking to a known plateau boils down to cost/benefit analysis applied to time. With the finish line in sight what’s the point of changing the race if the end comes in mid-stride while you’re still figuring out your finishing place in the universe.

"Klaatu! barada! nikto!"
Yawn!
bahman

Post by bahman »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:55 am
bahman wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:31 pm The creation is the act of bringing something out of nothing.
Then it was an act of nothing being created.
No.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:01 am Sounds like "understanding" is your God.

You haven't yet murdered it, probably because you haven't found it yet.

When you understand that there is nothing to be understood then you'll know you are at the summit. The view is amazing up here ;)
Context that introduced the concept of understanding:
DAM wrote:Conceptual mind comes up with a vast amount of words to explain that which it is incapable of understanding.
Ignorance is bliss combined with killing the Buddha sounds so mean and dumb.

No, plateau talk in relation to understanding is just topical commentary in the usual spirit of objectivity and equanimity, which provides the detachment for intellectual discussion, always a fun exercise where contra-conditions predominate, for although what appears can often lead to non-acceptance of any belief projections that may insult intelligence and thus begin what is probably destined to be a short journey with a rather low footing, there is often a gem or two to be discovered.

Anyone who for some reason declares their God, as per the thread title, has reached a plateau of understanding and by gum, that understanding shall be defended in all manner of ways, especially when views ossify into the certainty of proclamations.

The final plateau that lies within the realm of human understanding is the personal experience of dying, so knowledge of what’s understood to be the final summit is a noggin inference, so getting too comfortable with that vantage point up there on last peak seen is just a way station, perhaps where the oxygen is thin enough to induce false bravado and involuntary winking :wink: , which could be disastrous if it takes the form of flight, because until the final landing there’s only superficial differences between falling and flight.

It's all relevant, btw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hk6y8dhkeE
Last edited by Walker on Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:20 am Pondering Petty Pointless Plagiarized Platitudes. Piles of Pretensely Prosed Plateaus Properly Placed in Place. :)
The verdict: Pithy not pretensely flows smoothly in the stream of silky persuasion, and denials of projections grow tediously repetitive, thus are vanished.

In other words, although ignorance projects that Buddha is a god, Buddha is only human.

So too can your knowledge of God and gods only be, human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQnxlHZsjY
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:20 am Yawn!
It was before she had that medical problem when Patricia Neal gave the historic command to deactivate an all-powerful, threat-destroying robot, overseer of an advanced alien society, so that Gort (the robot) could bring his creator to safety and give him life, instead of wiping out the entire planet as easily as crunching a cockroach. She single-handedly delayed both the anti-Christ of mechanical slaver, and Armageddon of total extinction, into some future, unknown time. And that induces a yawn? What doesn’t. Chocolate? :P
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

All beliefs fall short of the understanding that there is nothing to understand.

All beliefs are born in this conception, the emergent property of a fearful suffering mind that then seeks solace in a conceptual antidote according to it's addiction. It is the price one pays for being alive. Where we are basically paying for something we didnt buy. It's a gross and stupid game that we play over and over and over again, until we see through the game for what it actually is...A DEAD END

Nothing to see here, nothing to do, nothing to accomplish, nothing to gain, nothing to win.

And ultimately NOTHING TO LOSE.