HELL is other people.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

HELL is other people.

Post by Dontaskme »

"The sick individual finds himself at home with all other similarly sick individuals. The whole culture is geared to this kind of pathology. The result is that the average individual does not experience the separateness and isolation the fully schizophrenic person feels. He feels at ease among those who suffer from the same deformation; in fact, it is the fully sane person who feels isolated in the insane society - and he may suffer so much from the incapacity to communicate that it is he who may become psychotic."
- Erich Fromm, The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness (1973)
surreptitious57

Re: HELL is other people.

Post by surreptitious57 »

Interesting quote that you have provided there although it is not something I can personally relate to
Sounds like some extreme type of philosophical tribalism but as a loner it does not really apply to me
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:38 pm Interesting quote that you have provided there although it is not something I can personally relate to
Sounds like some extreme type of philosophical tribalism but as a loner it does not really apply to me
That's very true indeed, as a loner one would usually not expect to relate to the philosophical tribalism mentality.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I find that intellectual tribalism of any kind is a barrier to gaining as much understanding as possible
And so I listen to as many different opinions as I can irrespective of whether or not I agree with them