The Existential Crisis

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:33 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:11 am
Atla wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:50 am This one's one of those few people who are genuinely insane. No way around it.
He spins and spins within his distorted conclusions, like some kind of bug caught in a web.
This one isn't simply distorting things, he literally thinks he's channeling God.
This is SO FAR from thee actually Truth of things here, it is quite amazing that you could ASSUME some thing so far from thee actual Truth, and what is even more amazing is you actually BELIEVE that what you ASSUMED is true is actually TRUE.

Also, from what I have written SO FAR what you ASSUME here is CLEARLY evidently and thus PROVEN WRONG.
Atla wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:33 pm Now of course such people are usually locked away in mental wards so what is this one doing here?
What I have and WILL say, WILL BE even far more INSANE, to you, than what I have expressed so far.

So, what this one is doing here is LEARNING how to communicate with 'you', human beings, BETTER.

But, the MORE you consider me to be 'insane' and 'mental', then the BETTER the whole outcome for Me will be.

Re: The Existential Crisis No issue here, nothing to see.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:18 pm
Age wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:36 am
Again; We will just have to WAIT and SEE.

See, the body that the 'self' is in turns into a skeleton, whereas thee 'body' that thee 'I' is and is in does NOT end, ever. Therefore, WAITING is of absolutely NO issue at all.
What reason do 'you' have for repeating what 'I' have ALREADY said?
Dontaskme

Re: The Existential Crisis No issue here, nothing to see.

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:02 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:18 pm
Age wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:36 am
Again; We will just have to WAIT and SEE.

See, the body that the 'self' is in turns into a skeleton, whereas thee 'body' that thee 'I' is and is in does NOT end, ever. Therefore, WAITING is of absolutely NO issue at all.
What reason do 'you' have for repeating what 'I' have ALREADY said?
The 'you' is just the thoughts and emotions within one and every particular human body.

Asking thoughts and emotions the reason for repeating what the I have already said.
FrankGSterleJr

Post by FrankGSterleJr »

GRACE

Pass me the holiday turkey, peas
and the delicious stuffing flanked
by buttered potatoes with gravy
since I’ve said grace with plenty ease,
for the good food received I’ve thanked
my Maker who’s found me worthy.
It seems that unlike the many of those
in the unlucky Third World nation,
I’ve been found by God deserving
to not have to endure the awful woes
and the stomach wrenching starvation
suffered by them with no dinner serving.
Therefore hand over to me the corn
the cranberry sauce, fresh baked bread
since for my grub I’ve praised the Lord,
yet I need not hear about those born
whose meal I’ve been granted instead,
as they receive naught of the grand hoard.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

FrankGSterleJr wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:36 pm GRACE

Pass me the holiday turkey, peas
and the delicious stuffing flanked
by buttered potatoes with gravy
since I’ve said grace with plenty ease,
for the good food received I’ve thanked
my Maker who’s found me worthy.
It seems that unlike the many of those
in the unlucky Third World nation,
I’ve been found by God deserving
to not have to endure the awful woes
and the stomach wrenching starvation
suffered by them with no dinner serving.
Therefore hand over to me the corn
the cranberry sauce, fresh baked bread
since for my grub I’ve praised the Lord,
yet I need not hear about those born
whose meal I’ve been granted instead,
as they receive naught of the grand hoard.
:thumbsup:
roydop

Post by roydop »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am There are various meanings of what is an existential crisis.
Here is an argument to justify the substance of the existential crisis pulsating from an algorithm with the brain/mind of a person;
  • 1. All humans are "programmed" [no God involved] to survive at all costs.

2. To ensure survival, any awareness of a threat of death is triggered with terrible fears to ensure the individual find solutions to avoid premature death.

3. All humans are "programmed" with self-awareness.

4. Mortality [death] is a "certainty" [99.999999..999%].

5. Self-awareness [3] make one aware of mortality [death] [4].

6. Premise 5 triggers 2 but there is no possibility of solutions [2].

7. No possibility of a direct solution [6] pose a dilemma - a cognitive dissonance - which cannot be resolved, thus the existential crisis exuding subliminally.
The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.

The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.

Views?
The problem arises with #3. We misinterpret Self to be the body/mind complex.

It's not. When Self is realized fear of death passes because one is now abiding in/as the Absolute, which exists beyond time, birth and death.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

roydop wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:43 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am There are various meanings of what is an existential crisis.
Here is an argument to justify the substance of the existential crisis pulsating from an algorithm with the brain/mind of a person;

2. To ensure survival, any awareness of a threat of death is triggered with terrible fears to ensure the individual find solutions to avoid premature death.

7. No possibility of a direct solution [6] pose a dilemma - a cognitive dissonance - which cannot be resolved, thus the existential crisis exuding subliminally.
The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.

The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.

Views?

It's not. When Self is realized fear of death passes because one is now abiding in/as the Absolute, which exists beyond time, birth and death.
The idea of the self as absolute with the Absolute is an illusion and to persist in such a belief is delusional.

The point is when you make the above claim, you need to support that with sound arguments and justifications.

Note Hume, Parfit on the concept of the self which is just a bundle of activities and the self is not a thing-in-itself. This mean if a person is not alive, the living self is gone, poof! and don't exist at all.

Kant wrote a long book The Critique of Pure Reason to denounce the self or soul as a permanent thing-in-itself.

If you insist in your claim, produce your arguments and justifications to counter the above arguments.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Views?

Agree that self is not the mind body mechanism.. In my experience the mind body mechanism is a known appearance of the unknowable “ SELF “aka this immediate irrefutable immutable infinite source of all known appearances.

All known appearances are in time and space duality ...and this duality is the illusion.

Veritas fails to understand there is no birth or death, that these ideas are mere illusions.

All appearances are made out of the exact same place they are appearing and disappearing in. This place is infinity itself. It was never born so cannot die.

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:51 am

Views?

Agree that self is not the mind body mechanism.. In my experience the mind body mechanism is a known appearance of the unknowable “ SELF “aka this immediate irrefutable immutable infinite source of all known appearances.

All known appearances are in time and space duality ...and this duality is the illusion.

Veritas fails to understand there is no birth or death, that these ideas are mere illusions.

All appearances are made out of the exact same place they are appearing and disappearing in. This place is infinity itself. It was never born so cannot die.

Atman is Brahman. " the exact same place they (i.e. "all appearances")are appearing and disappearing in." (DAM)That place is Brahman . Atman is nothing to do with self-consciousness which is linked to brain development and conscious awareness of the relative world.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:23 am

Views?

The idea of the self as absolute with the Absolute is an illusion and to persist in such a belief is delusional.

The point is when you make the above claim, you need to support that with sound arguments and justifications.

Note Hume, Parfit on the concept of the self which is just a bundle of activities and the self is not a thing-in-itself. This mean if a person is not alive, the living self is gone, poof! and don't exist at all.

Kant wrote a long book The Critique of Pure Reason to denounce the self or soul as a permanent thing-in-itself.

If you insist in your claim, produce your arguments and justifications to counter the above arguments.
I use as my evidence, my direct experience. I know I'm right because I experience next to zero suffering. No stress, no worry, no anxiety. I spend many hours each day abiding in/as the absolute happiness (not dependent upon events of circumstances) that is thought free Awareness.

Being that you are unable to rest in/as effortless thought free Awareness (how do i know you can't remain thought free for more than a few seconds?) you have no frame of reference for understanding my perspective/experience. You are caught in the ultimate state of confirmation bias. That is, your mind assigns thought as the final authority to Truth. You misinterpret the way in which i share the experience of the Absolute with the state itself. I care nothing of intellectual arguments. The validity of the path i have taken (deliberate attention to the space between thoughts) is manifest in/as my life. Where is happiness in your equation, or "The Critique of Pure Reason"?

You are trapped within the labyrinth of thought and until you are able to realize effortless THOUGHT FREE AWARENESS, you will continue to suffer.
Veritas Aequitas

roydop wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:01 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:23 am The idea of the self as absolute with the Absolute is an illusion and to persist in such a belief is delusional.

I use as my evidence, my direct experience. I know I'm right because I experience next to zero suffering. No stress, no worry, no anxiety. I spend many hours each day abiding in/as the absolute happiness (not dependent upon events of circumstances) that is thought free Awareness.

Being that you are unable to rest in/as effortless thought free Awareness (how do i know you can't remain thought free for more than a few seconds?) you have no frame of reference for understanding my perspective/experience. You are caught in the ultimate state of confirmation bias. That is, your mind assigns thought as the final authority to Truth. You misinterpret the way in which i share the experience of the Absolute with the state itself.
I care nothing of intellectual arguments.
The validity of the path i have taken (deliberate attention to the space between thoughts) is manifest in/as my life. Where is happiness in your equation, or "The Critique of Pure Reason"?

You are trapped within the labyrinth of thought and until you are able to realize effortless THOUGHT FREE AWARENESS, you will continue to suffer.
"I care nothing of intellectual arguments."
Btw, this forum i.e. "Philosophy Now" is basically about intellectual arguments.

From your post above, you share a lot of common views and so-claimed-experiences with posters like "Age" and "DontAskMe" for they believe "they" and their "self" do not exists, therefore there is no sufferings for them.

I am familiar with your views and sort of experiences for I was an advaita vedantist [mantra meditation, yoga,] for many years and I have studied Buddhism-proper [with samartha and vispassana meditations] for many years.

I have no issues with advaita vedanta and Buddhism proper but I have graduated from both spiritualities and now is on my own with the basics of the above as foundations.

Your being so focused on the Absolute, attention to space between thoughts, no sufferings is problematic, i.e. a spiritual problem itself albeit at a more refined level in contrast to a beginner.
You have failed at a more refined and reflective level, you are being attached, clinging and grasping at the above teachings and experiences.
If yours has a "hindu" background note the Gita's 2:47
https://www.holy-bhagavad-gita.org/chapter/2/verse/47 You are only imagining you are free of stress and sufferings, but at a more refined & sublime level you are caught up with attachments and desires plus in state of refined primal subliminal sufferings whilst enslaved by the existential crisis from within your body and mind.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:21 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:23 am The idea of the self as absolute with the Absolute is an illusion and to persist in such a belief is delusional.

Being that you are unable to rest in/as effortless thought free Awareness (how do i know you can't remain thought free for more than a few seconds?) you have no frame of reference for understanding my perspective/experience. You are caught in the ultimate state of confirmation bias. That is, your mind assigns thought as the final authority to Truth. You misinterpret the way in which i share the experience of the Absolute with the state itself.
The validity of the path i have taken (deliberate attention to the space between thoughts) is manifest in/as my life. Where is happiness in your equation, or "The Critique of Pure Reason"?

Btw, this forum i.e. "Philosophy Now" is basically about intellectual arguments.

From your post above, you share a lot of common views and so-claimed-experiences with posters like "Age" and "DontAskMe" for they believe "they" and their "self" do not exists, therefore there is no sufferings for them.

I am familiar with your views and sort of experiences for I was an advaita vedantist [mantra meditation, yoga,] for many years and I have studied Buddhism-proper [with samartha and vispassana meditations] for many years.

I have no issues with advaita vedanta and Buddhism proper but I have graduated from both spiritualities and now is on my own with the basics of the above as foundations.

Your being so focused on the Absolute, attention to space between thoughts, no sufferings is problematic, i.e. a spiritual problem itself albeit at a more refined level in contrast to a beginner.
You have failed at a more refined and reflective level, you are being attached, clinging and grasping at the above teachings and experiences.
https://www.holy-bhagavad-gita.org/chapter/2/verse/47 You are only imagining you are free of stress and sufferings, but at a more refined & sublime level you are caught up with attachments and desires plus in state of refined primal subliminal sufferings whilst enslaved by the existential crisis from within your body and mind.

How does not thinking about anything equate to "clinging and grasping" to teachings? You're the one quoting scriptures.
Veritas Aequitas

roydop wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:07 am

How does not thinking about anything equate to "clinging and grasping" to teachings? You're the one quoting scriptures.
There is no way we can stop thoughts and one can think and have thoughts but can be done without being clinging, grasping and attaching to them.

However thoughts and thinking can also arise from desires triggered by clinging, grasping and attaching to various fruits of actions and its cycle due to avidya even at very sublime levels.

Based on my experiences, it is from the [forceful, very determined] manner you expressed your thoughts above that I infer you are caught within clinging, grasping and attaching to various the fruits of actions and its cycle at the very sublime levels.
It is not a big issue but if you want to reflect deeper, delve into Buddhism-proper, like the Buddhist Tetralemma the Jains' Hexalemma plus other deeper philosophies and practices.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:41 am

There is no way we can stop thoughts and one can think and have thoughts but can be done without being clinging, grasping and attaching to them.

However thoughts and thinking can also arise from desires triggered by clinging, grasping and attaching to various fruits of actions and its cycle due to avidya even at very sublime levels.

Based on my experiences, it is from the [forceful, very determined] manner you expressed your thoughts above that I infer you are caught within clinging, grasping and attaching to various the fruits of actions and its cycle at the very sublime levels.
It is not a big issue but if you want to reflect deeper, delve into Buddhism-proper, like the Buddhist Tetralemma the Jains' Hexalemma plus other deeper philosophies and practices.
You are mistaking "forceful, very determined" with certainty.

The fact that you are suggesting further seeking/thinking, down to "very sublime" and "deeper" philosophies indicates that you are still in that mode. I am not.

I do not sit around in/as thought free Awareness to achieve anything. It is it's own reward, completely self-contained and self-fulfilling.

"There is no way we can stop thoughts." You sure about that?
Veritas Aequitas

roydop wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:45 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:41 am

You are mistaking "forceful, very determined" with certainty.
Nope, I am associating it with the psychological, the psychology of the person.
I don't believe in absolute certainty [Wittgenstein].
The fact that you are suggesting further seeking/thinking, down to "very sublime" and "deeper" philosophies indicates that you are still in that mode. I am not.
Are you absolute certain of that?
I do not sit around in/as thought free Awareness to achieve anything. It is it's own reward, completely self-contained and self-fulfilling.

"There is no way we can stop thoughts." You sure about that?
All human beings are programmed to generate "thoughts" and we do not know at point thoughts begin.
The most a living person can do is to shut your awareness to it via various exercises or drugs to put one into deep coma.

Btw, since you are not into arguments and rational justifications, I don't want to waste time on this matter.
Your views is no different from the fundamentalist theists who insist God exists but will not provide sound justifications for his beliefs. In any case, it is impossible for a theist to justify his belief since his ground is based on faith, i.e. beliefs without proof nor rational grounds.
This is also no difference from mental cases making all sorts of unjustified claims.

I am merely presenting my views and if they don't resonate with you it is your discretion to ignore them, else if you insists, then present your arguments and rationale.