The Existential Crisis

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Veritas Aequitas
Posts: 4640
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:41 am

The Existential Crisis

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

There are various meanings of what is an existential crisis.
Here is an argument to justify the substance of the existential crisis pulsating from an algorithm with the brain/mind of a person;
  • 1. All humans are "programmed" [no God involved] to survive at all costs.

    2. To ensure survival, any awareness of a threat of death is triggered with terrible fears to ensure the individual find solutions to avoid premature death.

    3. All humans are "programmed" with self-awareness.

    4. Mortality [death] is a "certainty" [99.999999..999%].

    5. Self-awareness [3] make one aware of mortality [death] [4].

    6. Premise 5 triggers 2 but there is no possibility of solutions [2].

    7. No possibility of a direct solution [6] pose a dilemma - a cognitive dissonance - which cannot be resolved, thus the existential crisis exuding subliminally.
The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.

The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.

Views?
Age
Posts: 5134
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Age »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am There are various meanings of what is an existential crisis.
Here is an argument to justify the substance of the existential crisis pulsating from an algorithm with the brain/mind of a person;
  • 1. All humans are "programmed" [no God involved] to survive at all costs.
Although there is a fair amount of truth in this, this is not the whole truth, in the way that you are portraying it here.

A mother, for example, may put her life at risk ahead of her child's life. Therefore, the programming in this human being is not to survive at all costs at all.

The whole truth, however, is, the 'programming' in human beings dna, and every other species dna for that matter, is for the species to survive at all costs. The drive to survive, and procreate, is in ALL humans, just like it is in ALL species, but the 'programming' to survive at all costs is not a self-interest thing, or personal thing at all. It would obviously be absurd to think of this programming is for an individual or one person only synchronization. This programming is above and beyond an individual person. All human beings die anyway, so being 'programmed' to survive at all costs is just a ridiculous notion, and an absolute absurd thing to even try and achieve. This program to survive, at all costs, is a species thing, which is why most adults will put their child's life ahead of their own. A natural tendency is to love, care for, protect, and guide the young. This is because we all KNOW deep down and instinctively that it is the young who have the more to live for, and who carry on our dna, which is where the 'programming' is held in.

This programming is even above and beyond a species thing, but we will just look at and remain with this, for now. I do not want to get to far ahead, for now.

As for your own [no God involved], then that is just your own personal view, which the so called thread title "The Existential Crisis" is just one of your agendas to slip in ulterior motive of getting others to accept that there is NO God.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am 2. To ensure survival, any awareness of a threat of death is triggered with terrible fears to ensure the individual find solutions to avoid premature death.
Fear is not the only thing that is triggered.

Also, the survival of the species will ALWAYS overrule or override any survival of one's own self. There is after all no point in being the only one left surviving.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am 3. All humans are "programmed" with self-awareness.
This is also not the whole truth. If all human are 'programmed' with self-awareness, then all human beings would know thy self, and so all human beings could answer the question, 'Who am 'I'?' properly and correctly. Now, how many human beings do you know that are truly self-aware of who they really are?

I agree all humans have the ability to become Truly self-aware beings. But, this is just an evolving process.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am 4. Mortality [death] is a "certainty" [99.999999..999%].
Why do you have some doubt about this, but no doubt about some of your other claims?

Also, when you become Truly self-aware, that is; FULLY aware of who and what thy True Self is, then you will KNOW, for sure, what thee actual Truth IS here.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am 5. Self-awareness [3] make one aware of mortality [death] [4].
LOL In fact what will be found when one is Truly Self-aware is who and what actually dies and who and what actually lives on, or survives at all costs, as some might say.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am 6. Premise 5 triggers 2 but there is no possibility of solutions [2].
Now, because you are not yet able to answer the question, 'Who am 'I'?' properly and correctly, then this is where this is all coming down to your own personal assumptions, based solely on your own personal past experiences, which could have led you into be wholly and completely utterly WRONG or partly wrong here.

Everything you are saying now are just guesses and assumptions, based on obviously your already strongly held onto beliefs.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am 7. No possibility of a direct solution [6] pose a dilemma - a cognitive dissonance - which cannot be resolved, thus the existential crisis exuding subliminally.
[/list]
All very presumptive reasoning, which obviously could be all completely or partly wrong and/or distorted.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.
Or, some people have just been born into families who just teach them to believe a certain type of way of thinking and seeing things.

Is that even a possibility, to you?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.
Remember, it was you who had an existential crisis, and that is was you who was led into a religious way of thinking and seeing things, based and because of your own personal existential crisis? Well are you aware that NOT the same things that happened to you happens to the rest of us.

What you are proposing here is so narrowed a way of looking at things, that you appear to NOT even be able to look at and see things from any ones else's perspective.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am Views?
You love to re-repeat the same things over and over. Just trying different ways to express it, but essentially just saying the same thing.

Have you ever considered and wondered why in some cultures the drive into religion is almost zero in the days of when this is being written?

Why do you think this would be the case? Has the so called "existential crisis" dwindled so much to nearly zero numbers for some cultures, or because the older generations are not enforcing/driving the younger ones into theism/religion.

If your theory on "the inherent existential crisis" is the cause for the drive into theism and religion, which provides the supposed instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains, which you obviously went through yourself, then this would apply to ALL human beings, no matter what time period they lived in. So, what do you think explains why some cultures have just about no one who is driven to theism nor religion at all?

What is the difference here, and why?
Veritas Aequitas
Posts: 4640
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:41 am

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Age wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:16 am Have you ever considered and wondered why in some cultures the drive into religion is almost zero in the days of when this is being written?

Why do you think this would be the case? Has the so called "existential crisis" dwindled so much to nearly zero numbers for some cultures, or because the older generations are not enforcing/driving the younger ones into theism/religion.

If your theory on "the inherent existential crisis" is the cause for the drive into theism and religion, which provides the supposed instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains, which you obviously went through yourself, then this would apply to ALL human beings, no matter what time period they lived in. So, what do you think explains why some cultures have just about no one who is driven to theism nor religion at all?

What is the difference here, and why?
Note I wrote in the OP;
  • "The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.

    The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.
    "
Why are you so blind on the above?

As usual you merely choose to take note of matters which are bias to yourself where in the above I would not bother to respond to.
Age
Posts: 5134
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Age »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 am
Age wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:16 am Have you ever considered and wondered why in some cultures the drive into religion is almost zero in the days of when this is being written?

Why do you think this would be the case? Has the so called "existential crisis" dwindled so much to nearly zero numbers for some cultures, or because the older generations are not enforcing/driving the younger ones into theism/religion.

If your theory on "the inherent existential crisis" is the cause for the drive into theism and religion, which provides the supposed instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains, which you obviously went through yourself, then this would apply to ALL human beings, no matter what time period they lived in. So, what do you think explains why some cultures have just about no one who is driven to theism nor religion at all?

What is the difference here, and why?
Note I wrote in the OP;
  • "The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.

    The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.
    "
Why are you so blind on the above?
I saw what you wrote, that is why I wrote what I did.

I propose because you suffered from some so called "existential crisis", then you imagine that the majority have also. You are just incapable of considering that just maybe the majority have not.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 am As usual you merely choose to take note of matters which are bias to yourself where in the above I would not bother to respond to.
It now appears you are speaking of exactly of what you continually do.

And, what do you propose are the so called "matters which are, supposedly, bias to thy self"?

Let us see if you can even compose anything in relation to this?
User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 8594
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am There are various meanings of what is an existential crisis.
Here is an argument to justify the substance of the existential crisis pulsating from an algorithm with the brain/mind of a person;
  • 1. All humans are "programmed" [no God involved] to survive at all costs.

    2. To ensure survival, any awareness of a threat of death is triggered with terrible fears to ensure the individual find solutions to avoid premature death.

    3. All humans are "programmed" with self-awareness.

    4. Mortality [death] is a "certainty" [99.999999..999%].

    5. Self-awareness [3] make one aware of mortality [death] [4].

    6. Premise 5 triggers 2 but there is no possibility of solutions [2].

    7. No possibility of a direct solution [6] pose a dilemma - a cognitive dissonance - which cannot be resolved, thus the existential crisis exuding subliminally.
The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.

The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.

Views?
My view is that all the above data is knowledge.

And knowledge can only point to the illusory nature of it's existence.

Just like that God you image to NOT exist inclusive...so this whole thread is based on an imaginary idea there is a persons brain/mind that suffers from an existential crisis.

This is the trick the mind plays on itself...it invents some things, and rejects other things, and that those things that have been rejected have the exact same substance to them as do the invented things...and that substance is empty to the core.

Welcome to the zombie jamoree that is the mind and it's trickless tricks.

.
Belinda
Posts: 4049
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Belinda »

Do you mean 'the crisis of existentialism'?

Crisis of existentialism is when the existentialist realises perhaps for the first time that she is responsible for her own moral decisions.
She cannot blame God , fate, or other people .
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am There are various meanings of what is an existential crisis.
Here is an argument to justify the substance of the existential crisis pulsating from an algorithm with the brain/mind of a person;
  • 1. All humans are "programmed" [no God involved] to survive at all costs.

    2. To ensure survival, any awareness of a threat of death is triggered with terrible fears to ensure the individual find solutions to avoid premature death.

    3. All humans are "programmed" with self-awareness.

    4. Mortality [death] is a "certainty" [99.999999..999%].

    5. Self-awareness [3] make one aware of mortality [death] [4].

    6. Premise 5 triggers 2 but there is no possibility of solutions [2].

    7. No possibility of a direct solution [6] pose a dilemma - a cognitive dissonance - which cannot be resolved, thus the existential crisis exuding subliminally.
The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.

The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.

Views?
You really need to learn how to construct an argument, that is a complete mess. There is no clear logical relationship between those things that you refer to as premises, and it's hard to even identify which component is supposed to be the conclusion (the word salad at position 7, or the unrelated and unsupported paragraph which follows).

What you have there is, at best, a set of bullet points for a powerpoint presentation for a high school atheism club.

Even when you rework this bullshit in your usual way (pointlessly repeating it in new words without addressing the logical problems at all) you cannot from that structure arrive at a necessary and sufficient case to support the claim that this explains religion, so your argument would be moot even if it were good. Which, I cannot stress strongly enough, it is not.
Skepdick
Posts: 5121
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:50 pm Even when you rework this bullshit in your usual way (pointlessly repeating it in new words without addressing the logical problems at all) you cannot from that structure arrive at a necessary and sufficient case to support the claim that this explains religion, so your argument would be moot even if it were good. Which, I cannot stress strongly enough, it is not.
In 2020, why do we have to keep pretending as if you have any standards for "necessity", 'sufficiency" or a coherent notion of "logic" and "explanation"?

All arguments are smokescreens for one's desires.

If we just start every argument with "I want to ..." then at least we can cut right through the intellectual masturbation.
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Skepdick wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:16 pm intellectual masturbation.
Those are the only two wordcs you really needed there.

There's a concept of scope that you lack. If you have a grand idea about how all of logic is bullshit, then make that case to anyone who is still interested in discussing that stuff with you. Hijacking small conversations to segue into that sort of ultimate skepticism is an abuse of scope.
Skepdick
Posts: 5121
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:58 pm There's a concept of scope that you lack.
Check in the mirror before you resort to strawmen.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:58 pm If you have a grand idea about how all of logic is bullshit, then make that case to anyone who is still interested in discussing that stuff with you. Hijacking small conversations to segue into that sort of ultimate skepticism is an abuse of scope.
It's not skepticism. It's precisely me fixing your misunderstanding of that super-important scope called Time.

Facts are descriptive of the past, they are not be prescriptive on the future (Good ol' Hume).

There is absolutely zero logical justification when proposing things (read: designing the future). You know, because you are proposing what the future will look like. So you are using logic, alright, but you are using imperative logic.
Imperative logic is the field of logic concerned with arguments containing sentences in the imperative mood. In contrast to sentences in the declarative mood, imperatives are neither true nor false. This leads to a number of logical dilemmas, puzzles, and paradoxes. Unlike classical logic, there is almost no consensus on any aspect of imperative logic
If you "understand all that stuff" why do you keep face-planting in its application? When you start with "I want...." we can all spare ourselves the posturing.
Last edited by Skepdick on Fri May 22, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by FlashDangerpants »

FFS, let's just get it out of the way quickly.

1. Trying to railroad me with silly shit like that has never worked before, and it won't be working this time either.
2. Aquafresh presented his attempt at a philosophical argument in the normal form - it was just malformed.
3. I assessed it in the standard mode for assessing philosophical arguments, using the standard logical concepts applicable in this field.
4. If you want to annoy me with some stuff about necessity and sufficiency being inadequate, you will need to provide a necessary and sufficient argument.

That is all there is to the matter. I am dismissing you out of hand because it is a waste of my typing fingers to bother with this further.
Skepdick
Posts: 5121
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:26 pm 1. Trying to railroad me with silly shit like that has never worked before, and it won't be working this time either.
What is it that I am railroading you with exactly? Real life isn't philosophy - not everybody is trying to frame you. At some point you might want to examine your excessive paranoia.

A proposition PROPOSES. It's a verb. it means to put FORWARD (as in - time)

Either you are re-describing the past (in which case nobody should care); or you are describing the future and thus violating Hume's guillotine!

Honest debate with you is impossible while you continue to lie to yourself.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:26 pm 4. If you want to annoy me with some stuff about necessity and sufficiency being inadequate, you will need to provide a necessary and sufficient argument.
Sure thing!

I will jump as high as you want me to jump jus as soon as you define your criteria for sufficiency in a sound and sufficient Logic.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:26 pm That is all there is to the matter. I am dismissing you out of hand because it is a waste of my typing fingers to bother with this further.
Naturally.

You have developed an arsenal of dismissive strategies for other people's wants.
And an arsenal of marketing strategies for your own.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sat May 23, 2020 10:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4359
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Harbal »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am There are various meanings of what is an existential crisis.
Here is an argument to justify the substance of the existential crisis pulsating from an algorithm with the brain/mind of a person;
  • 1. All humans are "programmed" [no God involved] to survive at all costs.

    2. To ensure survival, any awareness of a threat of death is triggered with terrible fears to ensure the individual find solutions to avoid premature death.

    3. All humans are "programmed" with self-awareness.

    4. Mortality [death] is a "certainty" [99.999999..999%].

    5. Self-awareness [3] make one aware of mortality [death] [4].

    6. Premise 5 triggers 2 but there is no possibility of solutions [2].

    7. No possibility of a direct solution [6] pose a dilemma - a cognitive dissonance - which cannot be resolved, thus the existential crisis exuding subliminally.
The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.

The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.

Views?
Or, to put it in a nutshell, people are scared of dying.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2224
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am There are various meanings of what is an existential crisis.
Here is an argument to justify the substance of the existential crisis pulsating from an algorithm with the brain/mind of a person;
  • 1. All humans are "programmed" [no God involved] to survive at all costs.
False. I think the evidence of millions of Jews in WW2 would disagree

2. To ensure survival, any awareness of a threat of death is triggered with terrible fears to ensure the individual find solutions to avoid premature death.
See above.

3. All humans are "programmed" with self-awareness.

4. Mortality [death] is a "certainty" [99.999999..999%].

5. Self-awareness [3] make one aware of mortality [death] [4].

6. Premise 5 triggers 2 but there is no possibility of solutions [2].

7. No possibility of a direct solution [6] pose a dilemma - a cognitive dissonance - which cannot be resolved, thus the existential crisis exuding subliminally.
[/list]

The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.

The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.

Views?
Many people are quite happy to come to terms with death. Why not you too?
Veritas Aequitas
Posts: 4640
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:41 am

Re: The Existential Crisis

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:22 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 am There are various meanings of what is an existential crisis.
Here is an argument to justify the substance of the existential crisis pulsating from an algorithm with the brain/mind of a person;
  • 1. All humans are "programmed" [no God involved] to survive at all costs.

    2. To ensure survival, any awareness of a threat of death is triggered with terrible fears to ensure the individual find solutions to avoid premature death.

    3. All humans are "programmed" with self-awareness.

    4. Mortality [death] is a "certainty" [99.999999..999%].

    5. Self-awareness [3] make one aware of mortality [death] [4].

    6. Premise 5 triggers 2 but there is no possibility of solutions [2].

    7. No possibility of a direct solution [6] pose a dilemma - a cognitive dissonance - which cannot be resolved, thus the existential crisis exuding subliminally.
The above cognitive dissonance from the inherent existential crisis drives the majority into the theism and religions which provide instant relief to numb the terrible existential pains [Angst, anxieties, despair, hopelessness, etc.] of the sufferer.

The above existential crisis also drives many other psychological problems for humans, but that is another topic.

Views?
Or, to put it in a nutshell, people are scared of dying.
One important point to note,
DNA/RNA wise, ALL humans are "programmed" not be consciously scared of dying at all times. Otherwise they will be paralyzed with fears at all times and thus unable to live effective to produce the next generation.
Thus humans are only triggered by the fear of death momentarily when they are aware of the threat of death or during the period they are under that threat, or at times are reminded of mortality. Most of the time any conscious fear of death will dissipate in time quite quickly.

Those who fear dying and death consciously and persistently are actually suffering from a mental problem, i.e. Thanatophobia, thus the need to consult a psychiatrist.

What is critical here is the combination of factors 1-7 generate a neural algorithm that subliminally [not consciously] pulsate an existential crisis that drives humans to do the most irrational beliefs and practices to soothe the terrible pains of the existential crisis.

The most obvious irrational belief is the belief God exists which does relieve the existential sufferings. The evidence is almost 90% of humans are theists and into some form of religion that promise salvation or deal with the thereafter.
The non-theistic and non-religious turned to other irrational beliefs and practices, e.g. drugs, escapism, etc.
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Sat May 23, 2020 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply