Let’s chat about the atheist religion.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Believers in the mainstream god religions often denigrate and discriminate against atheists, non-believers and rival religions on moral grounds. Godless mean without a moral sense to them.

I seek a solution to this problem, as the godless, statistically speaking, seem more moral, law abiding and peaceful than traditional mainstream religious believers who, ironically, claim a superior moral position, while having an inferior one. Statistics are quite clear on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtwTeBPYQA

As a Gnostic Christian, I get it from both sides. From believers who see me as an atheist and from atheists who see me as a believer. Both sides are wrong, given that Gnostic Christians are esoteric ecumenist and free-thinking naturalist, --- who hold no supernatural beliefs, --- regardless of the lies put into history by the inquisitors who decimated us, --- but never annihilated us. We are a religion of perpetual seekers of knowledge and wisdom, who raise the bar of excellence whenever we think we have the best ideological position.

This prevents the idol worshiping of the immoral gods, that the mainstream religions are prone to follow. This makes Gnostic Christianity a superior ideology. Perhaps this open-mindedness explains the hate towards us from god believers, as well as towards atheists and other non-believers that believers target.

Solutions to this endless denigration and discrimination are hard to come by, given that governments are not promoting any kind of dialog between the various religions and non-believers and allow religions to continue promoting vile homophobic and misogynous teachings.

To my way of thinking, be you following a theology and named god, a philosophy of a named philosopher, a religion that puts man above god and focuses on knowledge and wisdom like mine, a political tribe like Democrats and Republican, statism or any other thinking system, --- all groups named are following an ideology, --- and can thus be seem and described as a religion.

It is thus proper English to call atheism a religion. In fact, given the stats, atheism is a more moral religion than most. I am thinking that if all atheist proudly took on the religion label, --- as their atheist churches are doing, --- more god believing religionist would likely opt for atheism as their religion so as to improve their moral sense.

Take your deserved bow my atheist friends. You are now second only to my own Gnostic Christianity. We Gnostic Christian did what I advise here before the inquisitors got to us and that may be why we were known as the only good Christians.

Regards
DL
Impenitent

Re: Let’s chat about the atheist religion.

Post by Impenitent »

religious inquisitions are small compared to secular purges...

-Imp
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm To my way of thinking, be you following a theology and named god, a philosophy of a named philosopher, a religion that puts man above god and focuses on knowledge and wisdom like mine, a political tribe like Democrats and Republican, statism or any other thinking system, --- all groups named are following an ideology, --- and can thus be seem and described as a religion.

It is thus proper English to call atheism a religion.
Only to your way of thinking (as you just acknowledged). It's nonsense to claim that people who are not religious are somehow in a religion of their own. Does such an idea serve you because you want to claim this:
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm Take your deserved bow my atheist friends. You are now second only to my own Gnostic Christianity.
So that you can claim your beliefs are the best of all? Why are humans so willing to mindlessly allow their egos to completely distort truth to manipulate reality that they then push on others?

I would say that you and theists should leave atheist definitions up to the vast range of individual atheists they apply to, and stop trying to classify atheists as a group of followers of a belief. The absence of religious beliefs is not a religion.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Some atheists/agnostics are getting so tired of the debate that they are switching camps to ignosticism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism
Ignosticism or igtheism is the idea that the question of the existence of God is meaningless because the word "God" has no coherent and unambiguous definition.
It's a really interesting way of dismissal, because even the word "exists" lacks a coherent and unambiguous definition.
So any question about the existence of anything is meaningless...
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:25 pm Some atheists/agnostics are getting so tired of the debate that they are switching camps to ignosticism.

Ignosticism or igtheism is the idea that the question of the existence of God is meaningless because the word "God" has no coherent and unambiguous definition.
It's a really interesting way of dismissal, because even the word "exists" lacks a coherent and unambiguous definition.
Nice.

I would say that the concept/idea of a god is a personal fantasy which one can embellish and utilize for whatever purposes it's needed for. Stories can be written. Groups can gather and agree and fine-tune it. Ceremonies can be created. Imagination is powerful! But one person or group's fantasy does not apply to everyone else, and that should be OBVIOUS... simply by noticing and considering how vast and different ideas are across humankind!
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Impenitent wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:41 pm religious inquisitions are small compared to secular purges...

-Imp
Lets do some bean counting if that is how you want to measure evil.

Religions are presently conducting a non-lethal inquisition against women and gays with their homophobic and misogynous ways and teachings.

That discrimination without a just cause is against better than half the planet.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:17 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm To my way of thinking, be you following a theology and named god, a philosophy of a named philosopher, a religion that puts man above god and focuses on knowledge and wisdom like mine, a political tribe like Democrats and Republican, statism or any other thinking system, --- all groups named are following an ideology, --- and can thus be seem and described as a religion.

It is thus proper English to call atheism a religion.
Only to your way of thinking (as you just acknowledged). It's nonsense to claim that people who are not religious are somehow in a religion of their own. Does such an idea serve you because you want to claim this:
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm Take your deserved bow my atheist friends. You are now second only to my own Gnostic Christianity.
So that you can claim your beliefs are the best of all? Why are humans so willing to mindlessly allow their egos to completely distort truth to manipulate reality that they then push on others?

I would say that you and theists should leave atheist definitions up to the vast range of individual atheists they apply to, and stop trying to classify atheists as a group of followers of a belief. The absence of religious beliefs is not a religion.
One issue at a time.

Since following an ideology is a prerequisite of religion, atheism can be considered a religion, since atheists draws on philosophical ideologies to guide ideas, behaviors, and actions, like that of any religion. That is why atheist churches are called atheist churches.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:25 pm Some atheists/agnostics are getting so tired of the debate that they are switching camps to ignosticism.

No argument that many want to discus the definition of word instead of looking at issues where they would have to actually think about the issues.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:50 pm

Nice.

I would say that the concept/idea of a god is a personal fantasy which one can embellish and utilize for whatever purposes it's needed for. Stories can be written. Groups can gather and agree and fine-tune it. Ceremonies can be created. Imagination is powerful! But one person or group's fantasy does not apply to everyone else, and that should be OBVIOUS... simply by noticing and considering how vast and different ideas are across humankind!
I see mostly the same ideas, be they political or religious, with the fight being over the detail of the policies.

We are all the same basic model, like it or not.

Regards
DL
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Greatest I am wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:54 pm I see mostly the same ideas, be they political or religious, with the fight being over the detail of the policies.

We are all the same basic model, like it or not.

Regards
DL
Pretty much. We are disguising our agendas (policies) in narratives.

Same thought-patterns - different languages.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Greatest I am wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:39 pm
Impenitent wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:41 pm religious inquisitions are small compared to secular purges...

-Imp
Lets do some bean counting if that is how you want to measure evil.

Religions are presently conducting a non-lethal inquisition against women and gays with their homophobic and misogynous ways and teachings.

That discrimination without a just cause is against better than half the planet.

Regards
DL
non lethal (and lethal as well) inquisitions against the other have occurred ever since the "righteous" form groups... some are more lethal than others

-Imp
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:07 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:39 pm Religions are presently conducting a non-lethal inquisition against women and gays with their homophobic and misogynous ways and teachings.
non lethal (and lethal as well) inquisitions against the other have occurred ever since the "righteous" form groups... some are more lethal than others
A "non-lethal" inquisition? :shock: What a weird phrase.

Is that like "non-wet water," or "non-toxic poison"? :lol:

Normal people just call that a "difference of opinion."

Post by Age »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm Let’s chat about the atheist religion.

Believers in the mainstream god religions often denigrate and discriminate against atheists, non-believers and rival religions on moral grounds. Godless mean without a moral sense to them.

I seek a solution to this problem, as the godless, statistically speaking, seem more moral, law abiding and peaceful than traditional mainstream religious believers who, ironically, claim a superior moral position, while having an inferior one. Statistics are quite clear on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtwTeBPYQA

As a Gnostic Christian, I get it from both sides. From believers who see me as an atheist and from atheists who see me as a believer. Both sides are wrong, given that Gnostic Christians are esoteric ecumenist and free-thinking naturalist, --- who hold no supernatural beliefs, --- regardless of the lies put into history by the inquisitors who decimated us, --- but never annihilated us. We are a religion of perpetual seekers of knowledge and wisdom, who raise the bar of excellence whenever we think we have the best ideological position.

This prevents the idol worshiping of the immoral gods, that the mainstream religions are prone to follow. This makes Gnostic Christianity a superior ideology.
So, you are just another one who believes that your chosen religion is the superior one of every other one, correct?
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm Perhaps this open-mindedness explains the hate towards us from god believers, as well as towards atheists and other non-believers that believers target.
But you just SHOWED us that you are NOT open at all. Unless of course you write some thing, which shows otherwise, in reply to my last clarifying question.

Believing one's own chosen "religion" or "ideology" is the superior one is about one of the most CLOSED position one could take.
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm Solutions to this endless denigration and discrimination are hard to come by, given that governments are not promoting any kind of dialog between the various religions and non-believers and allow religions to continue promoting vile homophobic and misogynous teachings.
So, are you just another who expects governments can and will 'fix societies'?

If you are, then sorry to let you down but you will be waiting quite some time. I also, if I was you, would not be expecting it to happen while you are still conscious and aware of things.
I agree.
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm It is thus proper English to call atheism a religion.
I would not go to the absurd conclusion that "it is thus "proper english" to call atheism a religion", but from the way you described and defined things above, then I would say "atheism is just another religion" in line with "your definition" above.
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm In fact, given the stats, atheism is a more moral religion than most. I am thinking that if all atheist proudly took on the religion label, --- as their atheist churches are doing, --- more god believing religionist would likely opt for atheism as their religion so as to improve their moral sense.

Take your deserved bow my atheist friends. You are now second only to my own Gnostic Christianity. We Gnostic Christian did what I advise here before the inquisitors got to us and that may be why we were known as the only good Christians.

Regards
DL
What is a 'gnostic christian', to you?

And, what is 'esoteric ecumenist', to you?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Impenitent wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:07 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:39 pm Religions are presently conducting a non-lethal inquisition against women and gays with their homophobic and misogynous ways and teachings.
A "non-lethal" inquisition? :shock: What a weird phrase.

Is that like "non-wet water," or "non-toxic poison"? :lol:

Normal people just call that a "difference of opinion."
non toxic poison indeed... yet ice isn't "wet" ... drinking water is good... until one drowns

-Imp
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greatest I am wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm Since following an ideology is a prerequisite of religion, atheism can be considered a religion
How is the ABSENCE of a particular ideology, an ideology for those who don't have it? Seriously.

Is there anything you lack a belief in? Is that an ideology for you?

Atheism (for the vast majority) is not something people do to maintain, it's simply that ideas of gods don't exist for them. Can you see that?
Greatest I am wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm since atheists draws on philosophical ideologies to guide ideas, behaviors, and actions, like that of any religion.
Why are you trying to suggest that atheists are a group with shared ideologies, when they are not? They are simply humans with a vast range of ideologies that do not include theism, wouldn't you agree? What ideas, behaviors, and actions do atheists have in common, that are not simply because they're HUMANS?
Greatest I am wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm That is why atheist churches are called atheist churches.
If there are atheist churches, it is because humankind has a little bit of everything distributed throughout it... and yes, people do like making religions. Such things do not define the reality of/for all.

I do not even like identifying as an atheist because labels are insufficient and distorted in so many ways. But it does identify that I have no belief in gods. Beyond that determination, there are no atheist-focused activities or clubs I participate in. :lol: It does not affect who my friends are. It does not affect how I vote. It does not affect what I'm willing to talk about. It just identifies that I do not share a belief that many others do -- and most of them DO order their lives around their belief, so it makes sense that they are identified as a religion. Can you see the difference?