I'm a Theist

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: I'm a Theist

Post by henry quirk »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:34 pm IC - you are quite simply one of the most pathetic, diversionary, coward debaters on this forum - which means you really have no faith in what you actually know.

Good bye.
The man answered your question, but you reject the answer without comment or rebuttal.

Why?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:34 pm IC - you are quite simply one of the most pathetic...
All out of bullets. I see.

Bye, then.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:19 pm The man answered your question, but you reject the answer without comment or rebuttal.

Why?
Atto has some other fish to fry, Henry. Nobody can tell exactly what it is.

Maybe she/he is a Gnostic of some kind. That's my best guess, but I wouldn't invest anything in it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:35 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:19 pm The man answered your question, but you reject the answer without comment or rebuttal.

Why?
Atto has some other fish to fry, Henry. Nobody can tell exactly what it is.

Maybe she/he is a Gnostic of some kind. That's my best guess, but I wouldn't invest anything in it.
🤔
uwot

Re: "God CAN do evil?"

Post by uwot »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:14 pmBiblically, there are actually several things that God "cannot do," interestingly enough.

It says that He "cannot lie," that He "cannot look upon evil with favour," that He "cannot deny Himself," and so on. (I'm quoting literally there: I have the references, if anybody wants them, but I don't suspect you will).
Yes please.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:14 pmSo the Biblical God not only does not do evil, but will not and , in perfect integrity with His own identity, cannot.
Since you claim to have read the bible, Mr Can, you will be familiar with, for example, Hosea 13:16 "The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open." So infanticide and abortion are "in perfect integrity with His own identity". So is jealousy, wrath, slavery, genocide, racism, misogyny - for anyone of which I will be happy to provide quotes and references.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

There you go Immanuel. God should be the one to burn in its own hell forever...no?

...and then it sent a son of hypocrisy. :twisted:
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:37 pm There you go Immanuel.
Sorry, atto...if you want to insult me, that's fine -- irrelevant, but fine. If you want to argue with my views, that's also fine: I'm happy to see your reasons. But if you decide instead to pick a fight with God directly, you're going to have to do it without me. I'm not involved, and that battle is "above my pay grade," and I'd be doing you an injury by perpetuating it.

For your own sake, I sincerely recommend against saying such things. But it will be up to you. Best wishes.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:32 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:37 pm There you go Immanuel.
Sorry, atto...if you want to insult me, that's fine -- irrelevant, but fine. If you want to argue with my views, that's also fine: I'm happy to see your reasons. But if you decide instead to pick a fight with God directly, you're going to have to do it without me. I'm not involved, and that battle is "above my pay grade," and I'd be doing you an injury by perpetuating it.

For your own sake, I sincerely recommend against saying such things. But it will be up to you. Best wishes.
Wot? Do what sort of an injury..a broken arm perhaps - God already sorted that one...wots next in that **** master plan?

Are you seriously not going to join in and call a spade a spade or a jew a jew?
Last edited by attofishpi on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:32 pmSorry, atto...if you want to insult me, that's fine -- irrelevant, but fine.
Ahem! Them in glass houses...To remind you, Mr Can, you are the one who despite being told otherwise, insists that "Atheists" believe that God doesn't exist and then insult them for being "irrational" for holding a view they explicitly state they do not subscribe to.
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:32 pmBest wishes.
And to you Mr Can, may your god grant you the wisdom to see that the bible was written by a bunch of blood thirsty, vindictive, racist, homophobic, slave owning, misogynistic rapists and murderers.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Age wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:05 am
Could God exist as NOT real?

If no, then there is NO use adding the words 'as real' after you use the words 'God exists'.

If yes, then HOW?
Yes, sort of. There could be a god or God who possesses non-existence. Unicorns are like that. No is the Golden Mountain and the square circle. Non-existence is a thing, just as is existence, and things "have" one or the other. I am following the great Alexis Meinong in saying all that.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Yes, I’m a theist. A sort of Socratic gadfly. (I’m not a scholar, thank God). I am a philosopher. I’m also an aesthete. Most philosophers and literary critics hate aestheticism. The wellspring for my thinking is around the beginning of the twentieth century. Abstract art – I love abstract art – including all that descended from Duchamp up to conceptual poetry. Symbolism and Decadence. And most important, I follow the New Realists from Cambridge. Especially Gustav Bergmann, who as far as I can tell was an atheist. I’m also gay. I think one’s sexuality reaches, as Nietzsche said, all the way to the top of one’s spirit. If that bothers you, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry Get over it.

I am not one of those clean thinkers who think that God is pure thought thinking about pure thought and a high moral principle. I think God has a body and is mischievously immoral. Any god who is not immoral is no god.

I believe there are many gods – they are probably infinite in number – but I worship only one, one that fits my sexuality. Jesus. (Don’t give me a scholarly lecture about the historical Jesus.)

I call myself a phenomenological realist and anti-substantialist. What appears to the mind exists. Even illusions and misprision. There is nothing behind the appearances, creating or causing them. I think there is no such thing as a causal nexus. I believe in a sort of Humean Occassionalism. Internal relations don’t exist, only external relations as Russell taught.

Maybe from all that you can catch a glimpse of my God.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

uwot wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:22 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:32 pmBest wishes.
And to you Mr Can, may your god grant you the wisdom to see that the bible was written by a bunch of blood thirsty, vindictive, racist, homophobic, slave owning, misogynistic rapists and murderers.
I don't think they were homophobic since the earliest accounts of the God of the Israelites in the Old Testament is that God was the object of worship in a Phallic Cult. They even had male holy prostitutes