Nonduality is not a Religion

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57
Posts: 4217
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by surreptitious57 »

Age wrote:
Also WHY can you supposedly NOT be as forthcoming to answer questions posed to you as you obviously were
forthcoming to answer questions which were obviously NOT posed to you now
Because I simply do not have the mental energy to answer all of your questions
I cannot keep up with you because you are too fast for me so I just leave them
Age
Posts: 5144
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:54 pm
Age wrote:
In eternal Existence could there ever be too many questions
Where they are asked of only one individual then there certainly can be
I cannot answer all of your questions simply because there are too many
But the One and only Truly individual 'I', is thee True Self, which is eternal. Therefore, there is NO such thing as "too many" any thing to this One.

Being eternal is also WHY I LOVE being challenged AND questioned ALWAYS.

I think what would be more True would be to say some thing like; that the one known as "surreptitiuous57", who is really just perceived to be as its own individual 'self', within the Universe, which ultimately has NO separation at all anyway, and therefore that 'self' could NOT REALLY be a REAL individual, separate "self", and so that perceived individual 'self' has trouble answering questions, which it sees as being "too many" questions.

This 'self', which exists because of the human body that it is within, and exists because of what that body has experienced in its existence of roughly 58 or so years is relatively NOTHING compared to eternity, so this 'self' would feel somewhat overwhelmed with and by the questions 'I' keep posing to it.

Obviously this 'self' only knows relatively NOTHING compared to the eternal 'I', and so could NOT answer the questions that 'I' pose 'it'.
Age
Posts: 5144
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:01 pm
Age wrote:
But I do NOT want you to do any thing that you think or BELIEVE you can not do
Then why not just leave me alone if that is true - is there some specific reason as why you do not leave me alone
If things are written down in a public philosophy forum, then I will, if I want to, question AND/OR challenge them.

If these questions and/or challenges are NOT liked, then they can be just ignored and completely left alone. Easy.

Because I do NOT want 'you' to do any that 'you' think or BELIEVE 'you' can NOT do, then does NOT mean that I KNOW absolutely EVERY question that 'you' want to answer and EVERY one that 'you' do NOT want to answer.

Are 'you' AWARE that 'you' ARE completely AND absolutely FREE to answer, or NOT answer, absolutely ANY question that I pose to 'you'?
surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:01 pmThere are others here you can interact with so why not engage with them instead of me - why cannot you do this
Do 'you' think that 'you' are the ONLY one that 'I' engage with here?

The reason it might appear that 'I' engage with 'you' more, or engage with 'you' in a different way, is because 'you', "surreptitiuous57", appear, some times, to be far more OPEN than most here.
Age
Posts: 5144
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 pm
Age wrote:
Also WHY can you supposedly NOT be as forthcoming to answer questions posed to you as you obviously were
forthcoming to answer questions which were obviously NOT posed to you now
Because I simply do not have the mental energy to answer all of your questions
I cannot keep up with you because you are too fast for me so I just leave them
But I seriously see this 'self' as very, very slow.

Also, there is NO time limit to when to reply, so there is NO "keeping up" or not as such.
User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 8626
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:11 am For me non duality is simply the state of Existence no more or no less
It is not something that can be analysed from a human perspective because it transcends any and all interpretation
It is infinite and absolute so what any human thinks of it is entirely irrelevant for it has and will exist without them

Non-duality is a glimpse of emptiness which contains no belief, no faith, no meaning, no thing.
A close encounter with non-duality can shatter all belief systems.
It can leave you psychologically naked.
User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 8626
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Dontaskme »

Nonduality is a concept KNOWN..and that which is known knows nothing.
Can you find more absurd concepts than 'the nondual perspective' or 'the nondualist'
But nothing wrong with absurdism...
User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 8626
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Dontaskme »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:03 pm Nonduality is a concept KNOWN..and that which is known knows nothing.
Can you find more absurd concepts than 'the nondual perspective' or 'the nondualist'
But nothing wrong with absurdism...


“It is necessary to understand that I Am,

In order that I may know that I Am Not,

So that, at last,

I may realize that,

I Am Not,

therefore I Am.”

👽👽
Ramu
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Ramu »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 am Nonduality itself is also a duality, i.e.
'Nonduality' versus 'duality.'

The concept of duality is generally discussed within Mind–body dualism.
  • Mind–body dualism, or mind–body duality, is a view in the philosophy of mind that mental phenomena are non-physical,[1] or that the mind and body are distinct and separable.
    -wiki
The opposite of dualism is Monism; The general view of nonduality, i.e. monism is that of God.
The non-dualistic Abrahamic God is very controversial.

People like DAM believe and rationalize the idea of nondualism with dogmatic fervor and are very anti-dualism.
This dogmatism is a kind of perversion and should be treated by a professional.

People like Age, believe they know what is nonduality and thus had the experience of what is non-duality, e.g. the experience of oneness with all of reality.
It is undeniable humans can experience nonduality in an altered states of consciousness the following manner;
  • 1. from triggering it deliberately with hallucinogens, drugs, etc.
    2. they are suffering from some kind of mental illness, e.g. schizophrenia, depersonalization,
    3. Brain damage,
    4. Etc. reasons
In the case of Age, he is more likely belong to category 2 above.

The idea of non-duality or experience of non-duality is not something that is real per-se.
What is really real is the mental activities that enable the thought and experience of non-duality, thus its basis is purely psychological.

As mentioned above, in one perspective non-duality itself is dualistic, i.e.

'nonduality' versus 'duality' in opposition to each other.

The idea of non-duality is a useful idea but it should not be taken as superior to the non-dual views. Both should operate on the basis of Newton's Third Law, i.e. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Like Yin-Yang they should work in complementarity.

In Buddhist philosophy, the Two-Truths Theory recognize both nonduality and duality as necessary and co-existing to be applied in the right context to optimize well-being of the individual.

The extremist and dogmatic views of DAM and AGE are due to some sort of mental perversion.
...and people like Ramu will tell you that nonduality is NOT a belief system but based on first person subjective experience. God, (Source, Consciousness, the Void), is not based on belief. God is an experience. God is not some bearded man in the sky, separate from you, judging you. However this is IMPOSSIBLE for you to understand from your limited physicalist paradigm!
Veritas Aequitas
Posts: 4659
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:41 am

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Ramu wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:56 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 am Nonduality itself is also a duality, i.e.
'Nonduality' versus 'duality.'

The concept of duality is generally discussed within Mind–body dualism.
  • Mind–body dualism, or mind–body duality, is a view in the philosophy of mind that mental phenomena are non-physical,[1] or that the mind and body are distinct and separable.
    -wiki
The opposite of dualism is Monism; The general view of nonduality, i.e. monism is that of God.
The non-dualistic Abrahamic God is very controversial.

People like DAM believe and rationalize the idea of nondualism with dogmatic fervor and are very anti-dualism.
This dogmatism is a kind of perversion and should be treated by a professional.

People like Age, believe they know what is nonduality and thus had the experience of what is non-duality, e.g. the experience of oneness with all of reality.
It is undeniable humans can experience nonduality in an altered states of consciousness the following manner;
  • 1. from triggering it deliberately with hallucinogens, drugs, etc.
    2. they are suffering from some kind of mental illness, e.g. schizophrenia, depersonalization,
    3. Brain damage,
    4. Etc. reasons
In the case of Age, he is more likely belong to category 2 above.

The idea of non-duality or experience of non-duality is not something that is real per-se.
What is really real is the mental activities that enable the thought and experience of non-duality, thus its basis is purely psychological.

As mentioned above, in one perspective non-duality itself is dualistic, i.e.

'nonduality' versus 'duality' in opposition to each other.

The idea of non-duality is a useful idea but it should not be taken as superior to the non-dual views. Both should operate on the basis of Newton's Third Law, i.e. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Like Yin-Yang they should work in complementarity.

In Buddhist philosophy, the Two-Truths Theory recognize both nonduality and duality as necessary and co-existing to be applied in the right context to optimize well-being of the individual.

The extremist and dogmatic views of DAM and AGE are due to some sort of mental perversion.
...and people like Ramu will tell you that nonduality is NOT a belief system but based on first person subjective experience. God, (Source, Consciousness, the Void), is not based on belief. God is an experience. God is not some bearded man in the sky, separate from you, judging you. However this is IMPOSSIBLE for you to understand from your limited physicalist paradigm!
Note a belief with personal conviction is based on personal experience.
So is it a belief system when shared with people of likes.

I was an advaita vedantist for a long time and have had various types of altered states of consciousness, supposedly 'experiences of God'
I do not have any negative about advaita vedantist but I have moved [graduated] from it. I still have experiences of altered states of consciousness but do not recognize them as having anything to do with a God.

Yes, God is an experience, albeit a personal experience, and that experience is supported by neural circuits and its activities in the brain.
Seeing, touching, eating an apple is also a personal experience.
While there is a real apple that can be verified as real, there is no real God for verification as real. God is only confined to the individual's brain and its neural activity. It is at most an altered states of consciousness.

The majority of theists do not have an experience of God like an altered states of consciousness, i.e. cosmic consciousness, unity-consciousness, God consciousness etc.
However the majority believe God exists as real and they could communicate with God.

Point is those who are mentally ill [schizophrenia, etc.], drug addicts, on hallucinogens, has brain damage, expose to tremendous stress, meditators, out of the blue also has experiences 'God.'
I have done extensive research on this.
Here is one example among the thousands;
As such you can never be certain, your experience of God could be due to some impairment in the brain, e.g. temporal epilepsy or something else.
If you are a regular meditator you could experience what you termed as 'experience of God' but is actually nothing more that an altered states of consciousness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_s ... sciousness
User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 8626
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:56 am
As such you can never be certain, your experience of God could be due to some impairment in the brain, e.g. temporal epilepsy or something else.
If you are a regular meditator you could experience what you termed as 'experience of God' but is actually nothing more that an altered states of consciousness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_s ... sciousness

God has nothing to do with altered states of consciousness.

Such states are appearances of consciousness itself which is just another word for God tripping upon itself, the ONE and ONLY.

There is no person..aka YOU inside the BODY that has an impairment, an impairment is manifested HERE as appearances mixing with other appearances within the chemical make up that is the brain appearing outwardly as the effects of what can appear to look distored, but this distortion is just the hallucinatory nature of brain function and part of what reality is as it appears to be ..sometimes it appears wonky, other times it appears as pure 20 20 vision.

It is interesting to note that the word person comes from the masks that were used in ancient Greek-Roman theatre. Per-sona: Through (per) which the sound (sona) is coming.

The person is nothing more than sound heard as the word (person) believed to exist as a real in and of itself thing, when it's really just an appearance of nothing which is another word for God.

Also, there is no you HAVING AN EXPERIENCE. The YOU is the experience no one or thing is having unfolding all by itself, ask yourself what your next thought will be and see if you can know it in advance. While you're busy doing this or perhaps hosting a thought stream that rejects all this as nonsense, the divine play of life magically unfolds all by itself.

You are still trapped in the fictional conceptual dream of illusory separation VA ..you can deny, or debunk everything and whatever you want until you are blue in the face, but you can never deny or negate source of what you are denying, debunking or negating..so good luck with trying to pin blame on a idea which never existed except in your imagination as you obviously believe to be real.

Your antics here are no different to those others that you claim to believe in God. And I don't think you see this clearly, but others do, they are not fooled by you, so it might be wise to stop trying to pull the wool over other people eyes, rather remove your own mask first.




.
User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 8626
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:56 amI was an advaita vedantist for a long time and have had various types of altered states of consciousness, supposedly 'experiences of God'
I do not have any negative about advaita vedantist but I have moved [graduated] from it. I still have experiences of altered states of consciousness but do not recognize them as having anything to do with a God.
You cannot move on from what you already are. You can only move on from what you are not but only think you are.

You as who you think you are.. are still caught up in your own projected mirror image of yourself the one you believe to exist.

When in truth there is no real true face in the mirror image, the real you is the mirror without a face, not the image.

An image comes and goes in you, it is limited and transient, it has no reality outside of you, an image is just a projection of you.
Identification with the projection is thinking that you're no more than your limited role, which is just buying into the illusion of self image, and as you become attached to that image you are just burying yourself ever deeper and deeper into a false reality. Freedom and liberation comes from knowing the difference between the mirror and it's reflected image as being one and the same reality where apparent difference only appears here where there is NONE.

No concept can be refuted, nor proven to exist...because the very act of doing so is the only proof it can't be done.

You cannot not be, you can only be.

.
dxoutkast
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:31 am

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by dxoutkast »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:56 am
Ramu wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:56 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 am Nonduality itself is also a duality, i.e.
'Nonduality' versus 'duality.'

The concept of duality is generally discussed within Mind–body dualism.
  • Mind–body dualism, or mind–body duality, is a view in the philosophy of mind that mental phenomena are non-physical,[1] or that the mind and body are distinct and separable.
    -wiki
The opposite of dualism is Monism; The general view of nonduality, i.e. monism is that of God.
The non-dualistic Abrahamic God is very controversial.

People like DAM believe and rationalize the idea of nondualism with dogmatic fervor and are very anti-dualism.
This dogmatism is a kind of perversion and should be treated by a professional.

People like Age, believe they know what is nonduality and thus had the experience of what is non-duality, e.g. the experience of oneness with all of reality.
It is undeniable humans can experience nonduality in an altered states of consciousness the following manner;
  • 1. from triggering it deliberately with hallucinogens, drugs, etc.
    2. they are suffering from some kind of mental illness, e.g. schizophrenia, depersonalization,
    3. Brain damage,
    4. Etc. reasons
In the case of Age, he is more likely belong to category 2 above.

The idea of non-duality or experience of non-duality is not something that is real per-se.
What is really real is the mental activities that enable the thought and experience of non-duality, thus its basis is purely psychological.

As mentioned above, in one perspective non-duality itself is dualistic, i.e.

'nonduality' versus 'duality' in opposition to each other.

The idea of non-duality is a useful idea but it should not be taken as superior to the non-dual views. Both should operate on the basis of Newton's Third Law, i.e. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Like Yin-Yang they should work in complementarity.

In Buddhist philosophy, the Two-Truths Theory recognize both nonduality and duality as necessary and co-existing to be applied in the right context to optimize well-being of the individual.

The extremist and dogmatic views of DAM and AGE are due to some sort of mental perversion.
...and people like Ramu will tell you that nonduality is NOT a belief system but based on first person subjective experience. God, (Source, Consciousness, the Void), is not based on belief. God is an experience. God is not some bearded man in the sky, separate from you, judging you. However this is IMPOSSIBLE for you to understand from your limited physicalist paradigm!
Note a belief with personal conviction is based on personal experience.
So is it a belief system when shared with people of likes.

I was an advaita vedantist for a long time and have had various types of altered states of consciousness, supposedly 'experiences of God'
I do not have any negative about advaita vedantist but I have moved [graduated] from it. I still have experiences of altered states of consciousness but do not recognize them as having anything to do with a God.

Yes, God is an experience, albeit a personal experience, and that experience is supported by neural circuits and its activities in the brain.
Seeing, touching, eating an apple is also a personal experience.
While there is a real apple that can be verified as real, there is no real God for verification as real. God is only confined to the individual's brain and its neural activity. It is at most an altered states of consciousness.

The majority of theists do not have an experience of God like an altered states of consciousness, i.e. cosmic consciousness, unity-consciousness, God consciousness etc.
However the majority believe God exists as real and they could communicate with God.

Point is those who are mentally ill [schizophrenia, etc.], drug addicts, on hallucinogens, has brain damage, expose to tremendous stress, meditators, out of the blue also has experiences 'God.'
I have done extensive research on this.
Here is one example among the thousands;
As such you can never be certain, your experience of God could be due to some impairment in the brain, e.g. temporal epilepsy or something else.
If you are a regular meditator you could experience what you termed as 'experience of God' but is actually nothing more that an altered states of consciousness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_s ... sciousness
That I agree with you. And non dualists are in an altered state of mind and trying to stay on it by seeling confirmation bias from others and repeating the same things over and over captalizing words.

Age and Dam are probably dontaskme sockpuppets for her to make it seem there is a discussion so she can go on and post her absolute BS without getting an interruption.

She has many sockpuppets over the internet. Shes been recognized as a neurotic person with a high possibility of suffering from autism.
Atla
Posts: 2978
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Atla »

dxoutkast wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:23 am And non dualists are in an altered state of mind and trying to stay on it by seeling confirmation bias from others and repeating the same things over and over captalizing words.

Age and Dam are probably dontaskme sockpuppets for her to make it seem there is a discussion so she can go on and post her absolute BS without getting an interruption.

She has many sockpuppets over the internet. Shes been recognized as a neurotic person with a high possibility of suffering from autism.
Proper nondualism is probably the correct philosophy. Manic idiots like DAM and ken understand nothing about it, they just give it a bad name, turning people away from it.
User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 8626
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Dontaskme »

Atla wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:07 am Proper nondualism is probably the correct philosophy.
There is no such thing as Nonduality, nor is there such a thing as nondualism, or nondualistic, or nondualist... because Non-duality is not a thing.

Believe the contrary as you wish, but that wish just might come true for you, and will be all of your own making. . . probably...who the heck knows..but what only you believe...ooops! 8)

Warning! belief is highly infectious, once it bites, it feeds..and once it feeds, it grows. Unless you stop feeding it of course, then it just becomes useless, and harmless. :D . . . probably.


But don't take my word for any thing... believe what you want, it'll be all your own creation, that never existed until you thought of it.

Even though no one has ever SEEN a thought, but yeah, belief is magical, it makes the invisible seem real. Who'd have thunked it.. 8)

Amazing!




.
Atla
Posts: 2978
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Nonduality is not a Religion

Post by Atla »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:39 am But don't take my word for any thing...
As you wish :)
Post Reply